Carlton Game Injury Realities

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Ok so not a great day for the boys, but some reality might be required at this point.

Firstly, Brodie Martins injury is most definitely devestating. Really upset for him and the team. On the plus side, Tambling will now be given every opportunity to prove himself once and for all. We can cover his absence.

Callinan's injury is gutting for him, but not exactly devestating for us. Jaensch will now slot in to that position and again has a chance to prove himself as an AFL player.

Tippett's injury is a concern but not much else. The concern is that it might be related to his ankle injury from last year. If it's just a rolled ankle it's no big deal. If it is related, his (perhaps longer term) absence would be a significant blow to our structure.

Henderson's injury is minor (unless he has Stevens DNA) and should not be a big deal. He will play round 1.

Doughty will be ok. Just 'groggy', you know that 'old age' disease!

As for the surface. Martin and Tippett's injuries could be the only ones even remotely related to the playing surface. Proving it would be all but impossible.

So all in all it's not a disaster, although this ridiculous habit of pre-season injuries is getting out of control.

Ok so not a great day for the boys, but some reality might be required at this point.

Firstly, Brodie Martins injury is most definitely devestating. Really upset for him and the team. On the plus side, Tambling will now be given every opportunity to prove himself once and for all. We can cover his absence.

Callinan's injury is gutting for him, but not exactly devestating for us. Jaensch will now slot in to that position and again has a chance to prove himself as an AFL player.

Tippett's injury is a concern but not much else. The concern is that it might be related to his ankle injury from last year. If it's just a rolled ankle it's no big deal. If it is related, his (perhaps longer term) absence would be a significant blow to our structure.

Henderson's injury is minor (unless he has Stevens DNA) and should not be a big deal. He will play round 1.

Doughty will be ok. Just 'groggy', you know that 'old age' disease!

As for the surface. Martin and Tippett's injuries could be the only ones even remotely related to the playing surface. Proving it would be all but impossible.

So all in all it's not a disaster, although this ridiculous habit of pre-season injuries is getting out of control.
Agree with everything you've said, these sort of injuries will destory the pre-season even more.

Teams will probably take an NFL like preperation. Week 1 = shittest team possible, allowing the no names a shot. Week 2 = fringe players added to the fold. Week 3 = Best team possible. Week 4 = shittest team possible to avoid injuries.

Our game has too many injuries, and pre-season games are just a waste of energy for these athletes. Hopefully the AFL ditch it, and clubs can prepare however the hell they want

Good points, but I'm still going outside to punch seven shades of shit out of defenceless punching bag in frustration. It's just gutting, every ****ing year this sort of crap happens.

Whilst it wasn't a good day. Martin's injury (although not confirmed) is the only one that has/will shatter me. It may open the door for Tambling but I'd still rather him earn it. His current form is worrying me.

I don't think anyone can replace what Martin brings. Losing him for a year would be devastating. Mackay and Martin are probably the only 2 who consistently play direct, break the lines footy as well as having good disposal. IF Martin is out, I'd move Otten to half back flank.

Don't think you guys should be disappointed at all.

Both teams had really good passages of play, and both teams made uncharacteristic errors at times. Especially off half back from Johncock, kicks over heads etc...nothing that won't improve over the next few weeks.

Thompson - best midfielder, lots of possessions, leadership...the usual Thompson effort.
Douglas - Onball and forward, wasn't going at 100% IMO, took it easy a bit
Johncock - lots of run from HB, few errors which you don't normally see from him. Needed the run
Vince - Played the second half and was moving well, started in the middle sometimes but mainly on the wing. Better for the run.
Symes - Wing/HB, link work, nothing flashy
Reilly - Tagged Judd and did a pretty good job, was always right with him.
Doughty - typical Doughty game, nothing spectacular
Stevens - took the honours against Walker, one of the best defenders on the ground
Knights - Moved well playing HF, didn't look to be struggling at all.
Dangerfield - mix of on the ball and forward
Sloane - Lots of first possession efforts and lots of tackling. Through sheer hard work he wins a lot of clearances.
Walker - In a one on one he won every contest just about, you REALLY need to keep him.
Rutten - good game down back
Jaensch - Ripping goal from the wing to half forward, smart player
Maric - rucked mainly the first half then Moran second half
Tambling - Looked shaky down back; reading last weeks reports it seems today's game was similar, tried to create but a fair few errors
Davis - good playing 3rd tall and reading the play.
McKernan - Looked very dangerous up forward, needs to kick better for goal.
Otten - Moving well although didn't get a load of possession

terrible for martin, hopefully not the worst case scenario. he really is an exciting prospect.

as much as i love big kurt, i hope they don't rush him back and risk further injury. i think we have enough big guys who can play key forward to not need to risk this asset. i know smack isn't a proven afl player, but between him or sellar, and with walker playing, we can still field a good structure in our forward line. even if it might be a bit down on talent.

great day for neil craig - extension a certainty now. the boys club couldnt hold him accountable now.

obviously I am being a bit facetious, but mark my words the sheep will be baa'ing this tune in a few weeks :p

Don't think you guys should be disappointed at all.

Both teams had really good passages of play, and both teams made uncharacteristic errors at times. Especially off half back from Johncock, kicks over heads etc...nothing that won't improve over the next few weeks.

Thompson - best midfielder, lots of possessions, leadership...the usual Thompson effort.
Douglas - Onball and forward, wasn't going at 100% IMO, took it easy a bit
Johncock - lots of run from HB, few errors which you don't normally see from him. Needed the run
Vince - Played the second half and was moving well, started in the middle sometimes but mainly on the wing. Better for the run.
Symes - Wing/HB, link work, nothing flashy
Reilly - Tagged Judd and did a pretty good job, was always right with him.
Doughty - typical Doughty game, nothing spectacular
Stevens - took the honours against Walker, one of the best defenders on the ground
Knights - Moved well playing HF, didn't look to be struggling at all.
Dangerfield - mix of on the ball and forward
Sloane - Lots of first possession efforts and lots of tackling. Through sheer hard work he wins a lot of clearances.
Walker - In a one on one he won every contest just about, you REALLY need to keep him.
Rutten - good game down back
Jaensch - Ripping goal from the wing to half forward, smart player
Maric - rucked mainly the first half then Moran second half
Tambling - Looked shaky down back; reading last weeks reports it seems today's game was similar, tried to create but a fair few errors
Davis - good playing 3rd tall and reading the play.
McKernan - Looked very dangerous up forward, needs to kick better for goal.
Otten - Moving well although didn't get a load of possession
I like the sound of that.:thumbsu: Cheers for the post mate.

Some of you sound surprised. Injuries happen. Whether it be in round 4 pre-season or round 15 season proper, they are always sh!t. I know we've had more than our fair share (I mean FFS!)... but when they are in game like conditions, it's just the nature of the beast. What's to say the injuries wouldn't have happened come round 1 anyways? These sorts of injuries just cannot be avoided - unless of course your players never go out onto the ground.

Some of you sound surprised. Injuries happen. Whether it be in round 4 pre-season or round 15 season proper, they are always sh!t. I know we've had more than our fair share (I mean FFS!)... but when they are in game like conditions, it's just the nature of the beast. What's to say the injuries wouldn't have happened come round 1 anyways? These sorts of injuries just cannot be avoided - unless of course your players never go out onto the ground.

This goes well beyond the reasonable expectation of injuries though, jen. We have every right to be shocked and frustrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the upside is that both Tippett and Hendo should be ready for round 1

sad news for both Brodie and Callinan however I do believe that Nutter's AFL dream is still alive.

with the seriousness of Brodie's injury the club now has the opportunity to upgrade 2 rookies, with this in mind, Nutter's opportunity to be upgraded may come later when he return's from injury.

great day for neil craig - extension a certainty now. the boys club couldnt hold him accountable now.

obviously I am being a bit facetious, but mark my words the sheep will be baa'ing this tune in a few weeks :p
Maybe training should have been ramped u to cope with the in-game pressures applied to the body?.....

Lets hold off on the lynching for a little while shall we?

This goes well beyond the reasonable expectation of injuries though, jen. We have every right to be shocked and frustrated.

Got no problem with shock and frustration but blaming the "NAB Cup" or pre-season practice games is just silly. We have to have some level of competitive hit out before the season proper surely? All the training in the world doesn't get you match fit.

so why would the sheep be baa'ing this tune :confused:

Tippett and Hendo should both be ready for round 1

hard luck for Nutter and Martin however this opens the door for Jaensch, Tambling, Smith and Wright

with VB and Porps to return next week, Craigy still has plenty of quality cattle at his disposal and lets be honest our season was never dependent on both Martin and Nutter having big years

Martin got caught in a tackle... so yeah it's only Tippett and if it were just one rolled ankle that we suffered then the playing surface wouldn't of even got mentioned.

But if it had been ramped up, these injuries would all be Craig's fault.

You don't think it's a little strange that a guy with basically no history of injury troubles, with a durable body who has played exceptionally for the last four seasons for Central Districts without a scratch on him, suddenly pulls on a Crows jumper and is out for 12 weeks?

This on top of the fact that club officials have said he's lost 5-6 kg with the Crows training regime?

We would have to be a bunch of mindless goons to at least not ask the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton Game Injury Realities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back