Review Cats drop Bombers by 45 at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no evidence that the aboriginal game often called Marngrook influenced the development of Australian Rules football. Marngrook is nothing like the game as played in the 1850/60s.

There is significant evidence

There is no evidence that the aboriginal game often called Marngrook influenced the development of Australian Rules football. Marngrook is nothing like the game as played in the 1850/60s.

Look at the research from Poulter, Judd and Hocking. Why did Wills remain silent on the origin of the game? Marngrook was played in Western Victoria on Mukjarrawaint lands. Wills grew up on Lexington and La Rose-Mokepilli stations where Marngrook was played. Johnny Connolly's first-hand accounts places Marngrook in the exact area where Tom grew up. He was clearly a witness to the game. More silencing of Aboriginal history. And great win by the Cats, well done.

The whole Marngrook thing is a massive case of who cares. If you do care then great, I'd say you probably have a horse in the race.

What I'm trying very ineloquently to say is that if First Nations people feel there is a connection then that is good enough for me.

Its lovely reflecting on the fact I’ve watched us win 4 flags, have had 3 children etc etc since they last played a finals game.
It really is beautiful YO C.

I've watched us win five GFs + the first year we didn't make finals in 2014, I had two precious Burmese boy cats come to live with me. They're my babies :hearteyecat: :hearteyecat:

Then in 2016, two gorgeous little Burmese girls came into our lives :hearteyecat: :hearteyecat: Four babies for me.

I will keep raising this tweet until it sinks in. Hitouts are a shit stat, meaningless almost.

What you are telling me here is nathan buckley is an idiot and doesnt understand statistics. Those stats show that hit outs positively infiuence the result.

And geelong didnt just lose the hit outs yesterday. Essendon had more then double. Now lets see the percentage of wins when one team has double the hit outs. my guess is its up above 80 per cent.

What you are telling me here is nathan buckley is an idiot and doesnt understand statistics. Those stats show that hit outs positively infiuence the result.

And geelong didnt just lose the hit outs yesterday. Essendon had more then double. Now lets see the percentage of wins when one team has double the hit outs. my guess is its up above 80 per cent.
Hitouts are useless as a stat. H/O to adv differential is possibly useful but hitouts as a raw stat is utterly useless.

We could win every hitouts but if our mids don't rove the ball it's pointless. 51.4% effect on winning a 50:50 contest is a negligible positive impact

Look at the research from Poulter, Judd and Hocking. Why did Wills remain silent on the origin of the game? Marngrook was played in Western Victoria on Mukjarrawaint lands. Wills grew up on Lexington and La Rose-Mokepilli stations where Marngrook was played. Johnny Connolly's first-hand accounts places Marngrook in the exact area where Tom grew up. He was clearly a witness to the game. More silencing of Aboriginal history. And great win by the Cats, well done.
As I said, and as confirmed in your post, there is no evidence to support it. There is only speculation. You have avoided dealing with the last sentence of my post.

The whole Marngrook thing is a massive case of who cares. If you do care then great, I'd say you probably have a horse in the race.

What I'm trying very ineloquently to say is that if First Nations people feel there is a connection then that is good enough for me.
If you don’t care, fair enough. If you do care, it’s best to look for the truth not speculation.

What is the Doritos reference we keep seeing??
Ask CatToTheFuture who will explain it better, as he was first to identity Humphries' potential. It's to do with the Doritos hype train, I think. It exploded from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have better memory on these things than me but have you ever seen Pat be this animated - in a happy way? He looked like an excited kid (actually mirror of what I have come to expect from Ollie?). Wonder why? Just curious. Happy to see it - although maybe he is often like this and I haven’t noticed?
When he shanked a goal shot in the 2022 GF. it landed in SDK's arms and he goaled. PD was rapt.

STENGLE!! 5 years baby!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fantastic!

Everybody Wants To Be A Cat Happy Dance GIF

I wish Close got more of the ball because he is so good with it. Is mega elite for retention on inside 50 kicks, goal assists (despite being low on disposal numbers) and goal kicking accuracy this season. We need to get him involved as much as possible. Imagine if we somehow got him as prolific at ball winning as Miers.
I wondered about that too.
Perhaps it his role as ‘quasi-defensive’ forward that prevents this. He is often spoiling or pressurising covering large amounts of territory but not quite racking up stats. Interesting to see how his performance is assessed internally

After watching every game this week where players have seemed to adjust (some better than others) - This HTB interpretation has changed the game irrevocably. Almost rugby like, with the flow they wanted. The umpires have to keep up, and I would expect mistakes to be made.

It's hot ball, move it out and quick hands, and just get any old kick in. The teams that show synchronicity with each other's movements around the ball will benefit. It's direly important that the forwards play in front of their man ,or escape to the F side flank where Dempsey is excelling. You'd have to hope that training will reiterate where support will be in the clinches.

I think we will be good at it, if we can develop consistency and a hardened group of players that back each other. Our players that aren't bulls, and have trouble completing a full tackle (body weight) to ground, i.e. Clark, Henry, Miers, sometimes Atkins, will gain from it.

2024 Tackle Leaders:
Atkins - 100
Miers - 64

Miers' Tackle Wins:
Essendon - 8
Carlton - 9
Appears Miers improved form in last two weeks may be due to more tackling ???

Agree with the rest of your post

I’ll preface this by acknowledging Jezza is laconic in nature but a freak of a player, but has anyone else noticed the lack of desperation in his play. At his age, I’d expect him to be leading by example in the forward line, especially with Hawk out. Maybe layback bone crunching tackle or 2? Bust a pack wide open? Chase down a loose ball?
It may be just a body language thing, but to me he looks like a gifted player who is very happy now he’s won a flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back