Review Cats drop Bombers by 45 at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that he is a good kick.i am old enough to remember the Kraeker brothers who’s kicking style was far from textbook but results were elite.
Their creativity and vision was elite.

Their kicking was ok. Accurate, but not penetrating. Phil could hardly get past 40m by foot.

Just my opinion , when i watched him move and kick just sometimes , i thought there was a glint , a tiny tiny tiny tiny little bit of Phil Krakouer

Re the commentary , i watched the whole game with the sound off , its a beautiful stress free way of watching AFL Football , utterly fantastic

Been a bit of discussion re Gary Rohan ( who i am fan of ) and Ollie Henry

What i would do , now Hawkins is out of the frame , i would play Ollie Henry at full forward , i watched quite a few games when he was at Coll , and they played him much deeper than Geel . They had him in a forward pocket , like a 2nd full forward , came on as a sub and kicked 4 goals for them in that position in 1 game

So play O Henry at FF , where i think he can be dangerous , knows where the goals are and can be a strong o/head mark , and play Gary Rohan as a half forward with a license to go anywhere on the forward line
Neale ain't getting dropped so soon

The umpire saw him nominate and then just says "no Geelong ruck".

Someone around the stoppage has to show some leadership and take note if there is a ruck in the vicinity or not.

If there is not, just sacrifice the person least integral to the stoppage set up. Yeah they are most likely not going to win the hit out against Goldy but if they nominate they can at least stand in his way. If you do that when you are not nominated it is an immediate free kick against.
Dempsey rucked once

Mannagh telling CS he needs to be picked today.

Hardie is banging loudly on the door also.

Next week will be interesting.

One thing for sure, it will be you and I doing "a dazbroncos" pants down- when that occurs, and it will.
Or maybe just settle for a self satisfied I-told-you-so. ;)

So can anyone tell me what happened for us not to contest the throw in that resulted in a goal? Did we just not have a ruck in the area?
Was that the throw in when no ruck was nominated by Geelong? Commentators seemed puzzled + kept saying 'Geelong hasn't nominated a ruck'.

He couldn’t find form for 10 weeks at full back nor all of last year (when he came back from injury). Great coaching to make a switch and he’s showing plenty of reason to persist in the ruck.

Bring Conway back in and let DK play second fiddle.
no he couldnt find form in defence. But he will need to eventually and there aint much season left as we have no other tall defenders. Henry and kolo are too small to play on the giant fowards. We got a bit lucky with the rain yesterday with Wright. The only other option for a tall defender in defence is blicavs. But cant see them making that switch.

This reminds me of when we played hawkins in the ruck quite a bit one season early in his career when he couldnt find form up foward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching every game this week where players have seemed to adjust (some better than others) - This HTB interpretation has changed the game irrevocably. Almost rugby like, with the flow they wanted. The umpires have to keep up, and I would expect mistakes to be made.

It's hot ball, move it out and quick hands, and just get any old kick in. The teams that show synchronicity with each other's movements around the ball will benefit. It's direly important that the forwards play in front of their man ,or escape to the F side flank where Dempsey is excelling. You'd have to hope that training will reiterate where support will be in the clinches.

I think we will be good at it, if we can develop consistency and a hardened group of players that back each other. Our players that aren't bulls, and have trouble completing a full tackle (body weight) to ground, i.e. Clark, Henry, Miers, sometimes Atkins, will gain from it.

no he couldnt find form in defence. But he will need to eventually and there aint much season left as we have no other tall defenders. Henry and kolo are too small to play on the giant fowards. We got a bit lucky with the rain yesterday with Wright. The only other option for a tall defender in defence is blicavs. But cant see them making that switch.

This reminds me of when we played hawkins in the ruck quite a bit one season early in his career when he couldnt find form up foward.
He doesn’t have to play in defence. Nothing dictates that. We have O’Sullivan at 198cm who is being groomed for a defensive role.

It’s also curious how in the first half Henry was too short for Wright but he gave him a bath in the second half. Did he grow taller at half time?

He doesn’t have to play in defence. Nothing dictates that. We have O’Sullivan at 198cm who is being groomed for a defensive role.

It’s also curious how in the first half Henry was too short for Wright but he gave him a bath in the second half. Did he grow taller at half time?
Conway gone to injury. So have to scrap the second fiddle idea.

But whether a stern message was delivered at half time or not, we were a much more committed & united group after that.
In Rohan's post game interview, was asked if Scott delivered a stern message at half time. Rohan laughed + added Scott has never told them off. Then said he'd love Scott would rip them apart because it would be really funny.

Rohan's 200th game coming up, hopefully next week at home against Poos+Wees.

Rohan joked that Humphries had 50 tickets for his debut + other player's family couldn't go to game, so he's going to ask for 50 tickets for his 200th.

He's terrific to interview, just a great guy.

Was talking this season. Not the futue.

And henrys big weakness in defence is playing on tall fowards. Has a habit of being towelled up by them. Excellent defender otherwise.

And it sounds like conway may have gone down with injury. So the second fiddle option may not be an option.

Agree - watched the 2’s today and loved what Ted offers - could come in for Clark or Atkins if required.
Looks AFL worthy.
Hardie is an accumulator but can’t see what his point of difference would be in the 1’s.

I went to the VFL today (been enjoying getting to a few home matches over recent times), and I kinda forgot Hardie was playing - it may have been different for those watching via the live stream & getting a more condensed or focused look at the play, but at the ground there were others that I was drawn to. And when thinking about all the VFL matches I've attended this season, the really isn't too many times that Hardie really grabbed my attention & shown that spark which screams "pick me for the seniors", at least not in the way players others have.

Hardie a nice player, but agree in I'm not sure the point of difference he'd bring - I read elsewhere someone describe him as similar to Atkins which I don't see at all; Ted looks more in the mould of Atkins, but with possibly a higher ceiling

I commented on it in the VFL thread that Clohesy & Mannagh just had this presence out on the field, and felt drawn to watching them. I've been impressed by Clohesy in each match I've watched, his work rate & hunger for the contest is something I'd love to see how it translates to senior level against bigger bodies - and absolutely loved that smother late in the match

Mannagh is another who has been good in previous matches, but this was clearly his best game in the hoops and I liked the leadership he also showed out on the field - providing instructions & directions to teammates when setting up under different circumstances, a good indication he feels like he belongs

It was 2010. It was in part because of his form and in another part because we brought Pods in that season. We couldn't play all of Hawkins, Mooney and Podsiadly up forward, but Hawk was at the time the weakest of the three but Bomber didn't want to drop him from the side so you wound up with him in the ruck, which wasn't a great move.

Not really the same as the SDK scenario, as it's not like SDK has been forced out of defence because of other good options there. We'd be laughing if that were the case. We're playing him more out of need due to not having adequate ruck stocks. His form hasn't been great there, but he's a best KPD prospect and that's where he should play. Conway, meanwhile, is our ruck for the future and should be given games whenever possible.

We're not winning a flag this year, so best to think of what moves are going to help us long term. I don't think SDK will be a ruck long-term so I don't think it helps him or the team if he's played there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back