Autopsy Cats lose to Demons by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of our older guys looked really slow/had little influence on the game, and concerningly, it's becoming a real pattern for some of them.

C Guthrie looks a shadow of his former self out there (although he can be excused to a point because of his long lay off).

Hawk has lost all confidence, and seems out of sync with our current game plan.

The pace of the game seems to have really caught up to Duncan and Tuohy.

Rhys Stanley is Rhys Stanley.

Chris is fiercely loyal to most of his senior players (barring Bewsy), but some of these guys would surely only benefit from being 'managed' for at least a couple of weeks, so that the likes of Hardie, Knevitt, Mannagh, Neale, Conway and even Mullin can get a decent crack at it.

Hardie in particular has surely earnt a debut, and I am genuinely surprised at the lack opportunities Mannagh has had. Why recruit mature age players if they are just going to play VFL?

Last edited:
Seeing quite a few comments on Jack Henry. No doubt he has been ordinary of late, but he is largely being asked to hold down a key defensive post/be a lockdown defender which is not really his go.

Probably tall enough, but like Kolo, better suited to taking the 3rd or 4th forward and being more of a general defender for us.

The problem is, other than O'Sullivan who has played 1 game, who else can we put in his place atm?

Seeing quite a few comments on Jack Henry. No doubt he has been ordinary of late, but he is largely being asked to hold down a key defensive post/be a lockdown defender which is not really his go.

Probably tall enough, but like Kolo, better suited to taking the 3rd or 4th forward and being more of a general defender for us.

The problem is, other than O'Sullivan who has played 1 game, who else can we put in his place atm?
Nah he's been fine this season, albeit not outstanding.

But he does tend to have a few slack moments here and there. We got them concentrated yesterday.

And I believe he was minding Petty for a fair bit of it, who a week ago looked like one of the worst footballers in league history. So that was a bit embarrassing. Then that double whammy of a terrible exit kick and showing Fritsch onto his winning boot.

But these things happen to most defenders. He isn't A grade, he's a B grader and they will be liable to have the odd nightmare. We back him in from here, obviously.

Well, don't expect Tomahawk to take a contested mark. It just ain't his bag. Cameron is not a contested mark type and tonight he was woeful all round. Ollie Henry is our only contested marking player. Oddly enough Stengle is our next best contested mark in the forward line. Neale might one day fill that void.
Rohan would have been handy up forward but he was sub and playing further up the ground when he came on.
May and Lever had a field day because Geelong was bombing it in due to Melbourne's pressure.
Totally agree. I am wishing for a ruck that can clunk a mark. Hawkins won't take a clunk type mark but at least was able to push off and take chest mark. He ia missing them. SDK not doing it. JH took one and was stripped should hv been 50. Zutherie and Stew can. But we really need is a down the line release valve

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

I'm philosophical about the loss. Melbourne smothered the Cats defensively, and you have to congratulate them for being able to maintain that for four quarters. Especially, given Melb hasn't been playing that great the last few weeks. But Goodwin came to this game with a plan, and it worked. So, good on them. Not too often you see Chris Scott out-coached, but last night, the chocolates went to Simon Goodwin.

Jezza & TBone had off nights. Bruhn getting injured hurt our midfield. Gawn is possibly one of the best Ruckman ever to play the game, so I can forgive Rhys for his performance. He did his best but was just no match for Gawn. I don't think Toby would have done any better. Jack Henry has seemed a bit off for a few weeks to me, and the Dees exposed that last night. Zach Guthrie has become a star. We had our chances to win the game and blew it with poor kicking at goal. I figured we had to lose one eventually, so last night was it. Time to learn from it, regroup, and come out next week and smash Port.

Last edited:
In true BigFooty post loss fashion though, we focus on the potential demise of Hawkins & Duncan over the superb promise of Henry, Holmes, Dempsey, & Clark, as well as the brilliance of Zuthrie & Stengle.

Maybe they are cooked...but it's not looking too bad in terms of the replacements.

If there's anything to take out of that shitshow, it's the promise of the kids.

In a loss, I'd take that over them showing SFA and the veterans carrying us. That's when things look truly bleak.
Up until before this game we were the warm favourites for the premiership, and deservedly so. So I’m barracking for us to get it this year. I don’t see anything wrong with that. Our young guns are now, not just for the future. I said my biggest worry is Hawkins. The reason is he is such an asset in the ruck, and he is our forwards captain. A huge hole to fill. And yet he has been goalless (when has that happened ?) for three games and is looking like he’s done. When our gun big man in the forward line can’t kick a goal, then our whole forward line changes for the worse.

This is one of the risks of managing people. It would have suited Parf tonight with the conditions and the chaotic play. O'Connor's intelligence and unflinching dedication to playing his role would have fixed our structure right up. Danger was big out too of course.

IN: Parfitt, O'Connor, Conway
OUT: Bruhn (inj), Stanley (managed), Duncan (managed)
Yep the Ins and Outs are spot on.
Would love to get another game into Neale some how but not sure how we can

Last week Carlton lost and wallpapered over issues, blaming umps and a poor accuracy, then lost to the pies and have some soul searching. Surely Geelong are more professional and understand that although they were off, there’s a bit to learn from this game. Dees played a style that troubles us and we need to be prepared for it going forward. Still think the core of our play works, but we needed to turnover the ball better and a lot of that has to do with pressure between the arcs which was a bit off - easy fix. However, there’ll be more to learn of how they stifled our movement when we did turn it over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair take and definitely has merit. That said, he has been fantastic in the role most of the year, albeit not all that has been exclusively holding keys, but this week it was the poor decision making and positioning that really stood out. Seemed an anomaly from most of season for him, although footy nous isn’t really his one wood, more the athletic stuff and his ability to read high ball

Last edited:
Last week Carlton lost and wallpapered over issues, blaming umps and a poor accuracy, then lost to the pies and have some soul searching. Surely Geelong are more professional and understand that although they were off, there’s a bit to learn from this game. Dees played a style that troubles us and we need to be prepared for it going forward. Still think the core of our play works, but we needed to turnover the ball better and a lot of that has to do with pressure between the arcs which was a bit off - easy fix. However, there’ll be more to learn of how they stifled our movement when we did turn it over

We did everything right. We kept playing our style and trying to get pace on the game. We just didn’t take our chances in front of goal.

In the end, we played as bad as we could and we only lost by 8 points to a very good side.

We’re 7-1 with 15 games left in the season, 7 of those at GMHBA. We’re still in a very good spot.

Said it a couple weeks ago that there is no semblance of nuance.

It's a BigFooty and media problem as a whole, not just here, so I don't want to single anyone out...but it's true.

You're right though, it can't be: "Jeez Jack Henry was poor, he'd want to be better next week, and I think he will be".

Instead, it's: "I think we have to question if Jack Henry was EVER good. He's a long way from his 2021 form, and we have to question if he'll ever get back there".

Same goes with Duncan, as you mention.

It should be: "He's had a really solid start to the year. Not quite the player he once was, but he's still well entrenched in our best 22. Poor tonight, but I expect him to bounce back next week".

But instead, it is: "Duncan has to play VFL for the year. It's time, and the game has gone past him".
Yep.

And wow. A lot of posters getting off the wagon.

We played one of the better teams in front of their supporters. We were off but still managed to throw away the chances we made to win it. Jezza froze!

But he is a champion who will bounce back big time.

in Q2 and a bit more we produced many opportunities to goal that poor kicking blew away....not just points but OBOFs
as well [ yes Dees did same, but fact remains we generated enough scoring power] .

Unlike pre 22 years where we fiddled and farted away our chances against the best sides, we created enough chances.

My take is 7-1 .

Stanley is too unreliable to ruck alone. SDK should not have had to ruck at all.

Conway and Neale should almost be selected as a unit. That leaves Blitz free to HIS stuff around the ground.

Hawkins needs time to rest up. I think he is well below his best.

As for the others one or two sore bodies might need a rest as well.

But we DO have players in form in the VFL.

Clark looked the goods last night. A big positive. Zuthrie continues to ascend. Holmes will be great player if not already. I've missed a few other younger types who played their role well under big game pressure as well.

GO CATS.

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing that gets me the most. We made Petty look like a match winner. He’s an absolute Gumby.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I predicted this on the main board preview thread. It's classic Geelong:

I think it'll be a really close match again.

Outside of the prelim final in 2021, these sides love having close matches over the past few years - often dour affairs. The match at GMHBA last season was really close until Geelong pulled away very late.

Melbourne's defence will cope with Geelong's forwards much better than Carlton's did and can still have similar midfield dominance. Gawn is a scary prospect after Pittonet was near-BOG against Stanley.

You'd think Geelong's defence would cope well with Melbourne's forward line but we haven't been afraid to let Melbourne forwards of varying quality get off the chain previously. Petty will go from spud to superstar or something.

Stewart might be back, but could miss another week too. I'll be more confident if he returns to the line up.

Yep.

And wow. A lot of posters getting off the wagon.

We played one of the better teams in front of their supporters. We were off but still managed to throw away the chances we made to win it. Jezza froze!

But he is a champion who will bounce back big time.

in Q2 and a bit more we produced many opportunities to goal that poor kicking blew away....not just points but OBOFs
as well [ yes Dees did same, but fact remains we generated enough scoring power] .

Unlike pre 22 years where we fiddled and farted away our chances against the best sides, we created enough chances.

My take is 7-1 .

Stanley is too unreliable to ruck alone. SDK should not have had to ruck at all.

Conway and Neale should almost be selected as a unit. That leaves Blitz free to HIS stuff around the ground.

Hawkins needs time to rest up. I think he is well below his best.

As for the others one or two sore bodies might need a rest as well.

But we DO have players in form in the VFL.

Clark looked the goods last night. A big positive. Zuthrie continues to ascend. Holmes will be great player if not already. I've missed a few other younger types who played their role well under big game pressure as well.

GO CATS.

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app
I could get on board with Conway/Neale in combination if both Stanley and Hawkins is out.

Think that'll be a back half of the season thing off we see it though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back