Autopsy Cats lose to Demons by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen by a few of us for a while now.
In true BigFooty post loss fashion though, we focus on the potential demise of Hawkins & Duncan over the superb promise of Henry, Holmes, Dempsey, & Clark, as well as the brilliance of Zuthrie & Stengle.

Maybe they are cooked...but it's not looking too bad in terms of the replacements.

If there's anything to take out of that shitshow, it's the promise of the kids.

In a loss, I'd take that over them showing SFA and the veterans carrying us. That's when things look truly bleak.

Hopefully learn a fair bit from that because we’ll probably come up against them in September.

We had a really off night tonight, so many players well down. 7-1, we go again next week vs Port.

They won't be anywhere near in September. If they can't beat us by more than 8 points when we had such a dog day night, and handed it to them, I can't see them playing finals.

However they did their homework, really well, knew how to stop our run (now watch the copycats) and for once Scotty was outmaneuvered. No one lifted, so much for our numerous match winners. Worst game for our players across the board, since 2023.

In true BigFooty post loss fashion though, we focus on the potential demise of Hawkins & Duncan over the superb promise of Henry, Holmes, Dempsey, & Clark, as well as the brilliance of Zuthrie & Stengle.

Maybe they are cooked...but it's not looking too bad in terms of the replacements.

In a loss, I'd take that over them showing SFA and the veterans carrying us. That's when things look truly bleak.
True. The future looks bright.

Hopefully learn a fair bit from that because we’ll probably come up against them in September.

We had a really off night tonight, so many players well down. 7-1, we go again next week vs Port.
Has the village idiot gone overboard over tonight?

Wouldn't mind some examples?

Accountability is something you need to see at North Melbourne. Where effort, talent, intensity and results genuinely require change.

This club, and the players within it, have done so well for so long that they deserve opportunities to make things right. And often they do. We are very good as a team at bouncing back from bad games. And in the last 10-15 years when have we ever dropped experienced established best 22 players for a mere bad game. That's a selection policy that allows our group to perform at a high level and not freeze when it matters out of fear of failure. We always give them chances to butter up.

As for J.Henry, would love if you could rationalise dropping him based off tonight.
Mate I’m not going through your post over years to pick out the ones where you downplay shocking performances.

While if you read my first I said almost, he is important structural and we have no ready made replacement anyway so it’s a moot point. But the justification is to set a minimum standard of effort.

Making mistakes is one thing but not being bothered to clean it up is another.

They won't be anywhere near in September. If they can't beat us by more than 8 points when we had such a dog day night, and handed it to them, I can't see them playing finals.

However they did their homework, really well, knew how to stop our run (now watch the copycats) and for once Scotty was outmaneuvered. No one lifted, so much for our numerous match winners. Worst game for our players across the board, since 2023.
We played badly partly because they stifled us. They'll definitely be there in September.

I agree with the positives of the kids, and it’s great seeing them make great progress, though Zach this year has almost become our no 1 defender, Holmes is getting plenty of it, the two Ollie’s are competing and kicking goals and Clark will be a gun.

Unfortunately we also have some guys who are on the flip side, Hawk was great on Easter Monday, but he’s really struggling to get his hands on it in a marking contest, Duncan tonight was like watching a slow motion car crash. I love them both, but how much more (especially in Duncan’s case) have they got to give?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, it's natural to see commentary on both.

A footy club will, at any time, see players slowly easing out the door as others ease in.

Sometimes you can focus moreso on who's going than who's arriving, and sometimes vice versa, but hopefully the conversation finds a balance.

A few of our old guys were a disappointment tonight, but some of the kids showed a bit too. On balance I think we're going to be more reliant on our youth than our elders as we progress through 2024.

The non-mark to Jack Henry in the 3rd quarter reminded me of Leigh Colbert in the final against Adelaide. Happened at a similar time of the match, and the scoreline was similar too (we lost 76-68 that night, and 74-66 tonight).

Sometimes you just have an off game where players perform below their average, it happens and it did tonight. It’s our first loss of the season and we weren’t disgraced, the boys looked a bit heavy in the legs, last week was a pressure cooker of a game vs Blues.

I’ll reserve judgement and see where we are after our next 4 week block, should bounce back next week vs Port.

True. The future looks bright.
Which is what this year is all about.

I've said all along, while a premiership would be awesome this year, we're not living in the 'Flag or Bust' era anymore.

Let the kids develop, take some more at the draft, make some more shrewd trade acquisitions, and we're set up for an extended window in 2-3 years when they all start to hit their straps together.

We'll compete, as we always do, but we're not playing a side that desperately needs to win now.

We're in an in-between phase of phasing out the veterans and playing the kids...we're just such a bloody good club that we manage to contend while doing so.

Geelong fans are so spoilt. One loss to a team now 6-2 and some of you are writing off players. I guess that’s what happens when you win so many games. I’m just generally shocked we could play so badly and only lose by 8points after bottling chances to win it.
You're right, but Hawkins hasn't kicked a goal for three weeks. Glad you're not worried about him but some of us are.

We can only hope he can get back to somewhere near his best.

Hawkins was a lot better tonight than his stats would indicate. The goals will come back soon enough.

Against both the Dogs & last week against Carlton he didn't always look right and seemed to be struggling to move at times

Tonight he looked a lot more free in his movement and if a couple of moments of luck went his way rather than against him, he could have kicked a couple of goals & people wouldn't be quite as ready to send him out to pasture

This.

We shouldn't review this as 'how close we were' but 'how lucky we were to be so close'.

We were poor. Very poor.

The Dees doubled their score in the last quarter.

Much to consider.

One of his worst for a good while at least.

His trajectory of late hasn't been flash imo.
I think Duncan should play the rest of the year in the VFL with a role to coach and teach the kids. Give him the last game of the year in the firsts at home to say goodbye and let the fans thank him for his career.

The dees will be there. The cats certainly had an off night, but I don’t think it was due to coaching. From best goal kicking for the first 7 rounds to the worst in this game…that’s mostly where it was lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back