Autopsy Cats lose to Pies by 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it was the last 5 min of the third was when we lost it.
It's like we were good (able to) run out a certain length of time each quarter and would then use the break to reset

But with the third quarter going for an extended time after the Stengle/Howe clash, waiting for the medi-cab etc, we just didn't seem to have the legs for that extra 5 minutes and were really looking for that break

He had a 2 minute brain fade in the 1st and gave away a silly midfield free in the 2nd. Besides that he brought the ball to ground over a dozen times (yes he could've clunked more than his 4 marks but at least 6 or 7 others had the same result as a spoil) and his opposition didn't exactly light the game up with marks/goals. It was their small forwards getting free and taking easy marks. With a smashed midfield Sav's was a fine foundation to work with. The 3 mistakes mean most will dismiss his efforts and while you can't afford to serve those up regularly, it's not uncommon for defenders to have blemishes when the ball is coming in waves like that.

How about the efforts of seasoned midfielders tonight?

The seasoned what?

That... didn't happen. One bad one where he should have punched, otherwise added an aerial dimension we otherwise lack in defence.
The type of holding free he gave away you'd say a key position defender gives minimum one of those away a game. It happened to Moore too. You'd have to say in the 50/50 situations he overall wasn't beaten and then made a few excellent diving spoils with some nice intercept marks. We'd all like him to clunk more marks as then he could actually be an elite interceptor. But if it gets to the ground it's the same result as a minor spoil and I'm happy for him to go for them. One time he badly, badly misjudged that balance. The rest he squared the contest.

Pies looked scary, so fast and never quit. Going to be hard to beat. We need to talk about Stanley and Parfitt. Recruits were meh but they showed signs. Big Sav I thought did well looks a machine in air just needs to pick when to spoil better.
Stanley far from our worst if that’s what you’re inferring.

Duncan still a couple of weeks away I thought? Happy to be wrong on that though!
Well poop.

Simpson sub. Bruhn in.
Parfitt reserves.

Blues, suns, hawks, eagles, swans is our best 5 opponents.

Come out of that 4-2 or even 3-3 and that’s ok, but I wouldn’t put it past us being 5-1. It’s about building into the season for us, last year we were 5-4 after 9 and looked average at best at that point.

We’ve got some injury concerns but we’ll get a few back soon, our depth is solid, we’ll be fine.

Lid is back on; Premiership in the past, winning streak over.

There were mitigating circumstances, but it would be beneath the contest and the opposition to offer up excuses; we weren't good enough for long enough.

Kept threatening to stretch it out to that 25 point lead, which is the only time I ever start to think we're in a strong position, but we could never quite nudge in front that far, and Collingwood ran right over the top of us in the last quarter.

Disappointing and damaging to lose Tom Stewart so early; we seemed to be putting out injury spot fires all night long and it didn't help things.

Ultimately though I think our midfield was well beaten; Bruhn started ok but faded, Guthrie had some ok moments but looked a step off the pace of the game and new skipper Patrick Dangerfield reminded me of his frailities.

No one really stood up for 4 quarters apart from maybe Isaac Smith; O'Connor was great early, Miers tried hard, Zac Guthrie and Jed Bews were reasonably solid, but it wasn't enough to win a game of football. Ollie Henry showed a lot and handled the hate pretty well for a kid.

I haven't seen Brad Close play a game that poor for some time, he lacked his usual sharpness.

Our forward line looked dangerous and converted really well but Hawkins is short of a gallop, Cameron was a touch laconic (though good) and Rohan flashed in and out of the play - which is how he plays of course, but it can be a matter of small degrees between a good Rohan game and a poor one - overall he was just ok, too.

Yes; it's only Round 1, but things can go pear-shaped very quickly. Chris Scott and the club's other leaders need to show strength throughout the week to ensure we secure 4 points.
You know what's scary, is that we played that good considering so many players being off. Feel like the mids let us down a bit.

I wonder if the posters who said they didn’t care if we lost still feel that way?

Yep! I had a good laugh at the Pies fans celebrating like they won the flag. I’m on my way home to watch some grand final highlights…

Wow, they were just better, hey? A tight entertaining game until near the end, however they looked like they could have kept going. It's not the 2010 swarm technique, they now have the elite fitness weaving thing happening. And it's good.

That... didn't happen. One bad one where he should have punched, otherwise added an aerial dimension we otherwise lack in defence.
Thought he was decent tbh, and showed precisely why the club kept him.

Also; off topic - Southern Cross station. Platforms 6a and 5a. Right next to each other both going to Waurn Ponds. 15 and 21mins away.

15 mins is overcrowded with people in aisles. 21 mins half empty.

Humans can be a stupid species lol.

Wow, they were just better, hey? A tight entertaining game until near the end, however they looked like they could have kept going. It's not the 2010 swarm technique, they now have the elite fitness weaving thing happening. And it's good.
They are damn good, just unsure if they can keep it going all season.

GWS proved that you can’t put Bruhn on wing nor half forward. He is purely an inside player - and did well when in there.

And Parf is the same…no IMO they can only have one in the 23 (given Atkins, Danger, Guthrie, Blitz and Holmes all share minutes now in that role. And Bowes can too). I would give Bruhn a good run at it but keep him either in the mid or on the bench..
Yeah, I would definitely play Bruhn Inside Midfield. And Holmes out to the Wing.

Honestly, I think Holmes is a better outside player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh. In situations like these I remind myself that I went into this game expecting to lose. And we looked GOOD in some stages. Then we were down to a shadow of the defence of last year. And played like a team facing a bitter opponent all over again in a match that was a 'revenge' (Haw v Gee 1991, anyone? Or, for more recent fans, v Swans in the SF 2017?) .. that of course, wasn't.

The injuries suck. I was a little disappointed by Guthrie and think Ollie is more of a sub for now.

Pies have won the round 1 premiership 😂

That's essentially what the idiot beside was saying throughout the night and only got louder during the last - I'm happy calling him an idiot... Not sure what was in the vape he was using but he seemed under the influence of something and I don't recall him drinking during the match. And then in the last security came to talk to him & tell him to stop standing on the chair, instead he tried to high-5 them & encourage others to do the same

Security then apologised to me that they had to speak to him, and I told them I don't know him but he's been an idiot all match - like seriously, how come opposition fans always seem to get tickets in our members area for our Melbourne "home" games...

But this guy decided that Geelong's season is over after tonight's loss and we might as well not worry about 2023 & come back next year

Meanwhile, 2023 is the year of the FLAG-PIE 🤮

Like seriously - enjoy your win tonight but round 1 isn't when you win premierships

I think Stewart will be out for 4-6 weeks
Kolo 8
Duncan 2
Bowes in next week
Hawkins OK
STK OK
I would be suprised if SDK and Hawkins get up after a 6 day break. Both just couldn’t launch at the ball. Now Hawke may have just been rust of first game so maybe he will be ok as you say…but Sam I think look really hampered…

Hoping Stengle pulls up ok

Real issue of course is that other than Bowes we don’t have any “pick me” playing in the VFL game tomorrow to fill the gaps? If Hawke doesnt get up then Scratcher might be an option (but it is his first game of the year tomorrow so would have to play a blinder?).

I wonder if the posters who said they didn’t care if we lost still feel that way?
The pies are super fit, young and exciting

That was a well coached team after half time, Exploiting Hawkins in particular.

More positives in that game for us that negatives

I don't care.

It's a long season.

Not ideal to lose, but we saw enough to suggest we'll be there or thereabouts again.

Played some really good footy in patches but you could tell the legs weren't quite there. Tough enough in round one as it is, but with our injuries we just hit the wall. It happens.

Thought Sav showed some real promise. Had a couple of bad moments, but showed a lot as well. He'll never be Matthew Scarlett, but we could do far worse.

All in all, not a bad night. It looked like a clash between two quality sides, especially compared to the rubbish served up by the Blues and Tigers.

Hope TomX2, Sam and Tyson are okay. We'll bounce back next week.

Olie Dempsey will force his way into the team soon and can play wing or forward. Shannon Neale can come in for Tomahawk if he is injured.

Meh. In situations like these I remind myself that I went into this game expecting to lose. And we looked GOOD in some stages. Then we were down to a shadow of the defence of last year. And played like a Premier facing a bitter opponent all over again (Haw v Gee 1991, anyone? Or, for more recent fans, v Swans in the SF 2017?)

The injuries suck. I was a little disappointed by Guthrie and think Ollie is more of a sub for now.
Assume you realise that is 32 years ago. 😯😜

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back