Autopsy Cats lose to Saints by enough to end our 23 Finals hopes

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many injuries all year. We had to play rhys tonight even injured he would have been better than the tripe we served up in the ruck. Once sav went off that was it. Heres to a better injury run next year.

Sad to have seen sav play his last game tonight and will be sad to farewell the retirees next week.

Atkins was the only one who earned his match fee tonight. Miers potentially the only other addition.

Cameron: 23 touches of pure tripe. Jekyll and Hyde on full display again.

Kolo: career best season last year. Should be dropped next week and made to earn a spot next season.

Bews: more cooked than the ruble.

Close: sad to see him injured but was once again a non factor when we weren't on top

Dangerfield: my word... played like he had an argument with the better half before the game. That was not the Dangerfield of this year. That was just atrocious. Zero leadership, zero impact and zero cleaness. And I am a fan!

Scott: trying not to feed the trolls, but it was the first time tonight where he looked genuinely bereft of ideas. The hope is well and truly gone.

There's so much more that needs to be said but I'll leave some for the rest of you

* I wish we had more players with his work ethics tbh

This is what I talk about when I say the best captains are often the blokes that don't come at the pointy end of the draft. The blokes who aren't gifted the career are the ones that work harder than anyone else and who know what it's like for the average bloke on their list.

Atkins embodies that entirely. Stewart is another example.

Selwood is an obvious exception, but his work ethic and will were second to none (in the league and in all of my years of watching footy).

Many of our older players have fallen off the cliff this year, so I hope there are some retirement announcements this coming week.

I don't understand how that game was coached. No forward pressure at all and no defensive run when the Saints had the ball. It was like the Coaches had given up before the game even started, knowing the Cats would not be able to go with the Saint's speed, and told them to run backward and let the Saints have the space. Maybe they hoped the Saints would kick the ball long to a contest and there our guys would hopefully win the ball back. But more often than not, because of their speed and spread, the Saints had loose players all over the place, so that tactic failed badly. Poor coaching effort tonight.

Atkins, Stewart, Duncan, Miers, and O'Connor played decent games. Zuthrie had some good and awful moments. But we had no match-winners out there.

Our season is over.

Sav and perhaps Close out next week injured . Rest Danger and Cameron, and whoever else is playing crook.
Get Dempsey, Knevitt and Conway, maybe Whyte in.

Nah they will all want to play in smiths farewell. Menegola will probably get a farewell game too as will tuohy et al.

In a weaker season, we have absolutely made a ****ing embarrassment of ourselves this year and honestly if there is time for a clean-out its now.

Next week HAS to be about playing the kids. If players announce retirements like Tuohy and Smith then play them, but other than that there is ZERO reason for Mullin, Neale, Dempsey, Knevitt, Whyte, Hardie and Conway to play.

Would imagine Close is out injured, Esava out injured, drop Parfitt, Bowes, Kolodjashnij, Henry to make a statement. Won't happen, but it should.
If Cameron needs surgery, get him in for it this week so he is ready for preseason, along with anyone else with an injury that needs to get fixed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy requires a lot of luck - and we have had precious little this year.

Unlucky injuries, the Footy Gods etc etc

Not too unhappy all things considered. First full pre-season in a while, top ten draft pick for the first time in forever etc

Would be piss funny if the Saints still missed from here.
Bloody hell it's been a long 10 months 😉

Don't worry, maybe in next week's game we can win another free kick in a half of footy ... making it back-to-back.

Outplayed and outclassed and all the usual frustration, but sheesh ... that was something.

I do remember a game at Princes Park where it got out to 23 free kicks to 0 one day.

Puts into context how special last year was. Watching the siren go and seeing the Saints fans dancing and jumping around after a regulation win - we've seen who knows how many finals series and wins and four premierships along the way, it's hard to get too worked up. All season long Atkins and Miers have busted their gut and were almost a lone hand again tonight, they deserve huge kudos.

I'm hoping for next week guys like Knevitt and Dempsey get a crack after putting in months of solid football at VFL level, and more pertinently come next year we start rewarding those blokes at the lower level who are consistently performing. A quick five-minute season autopsy has me thinking rightly or wrongly the coaching panel put a lot of trust in the guys who got it done last year even though on exposed 2023 form they should've been made to earn their place the proper way.

Still the reigning premiers!

Fourth best percentage in the league.

Worst injury year for Geelong this century.

Still played a bit poorly at times though.

Weird year. Just wasn't meant to be. There is hope for next year. We are not rubbish

And won 16 first quarters whilst leading the league for the average earliest injury-activated sub per game.

Sometimes, everything goes against you. 2023 will be forgotten quickly enough at this end, or remembered as the final down-payment on 2022.

I can't be too upset by this. Amazing GF win last year and we were always going to be pushing it this year with the departures (Selwood, Betts, Taylor). The complete reversal in form by Jezza and the crucial injuries late really made it so hard. I do feel very sorry for Zuthrie ... he has been good all year and it's a bit sad that his final act should be a genuinely comical balls-up. I did genuinely lol. Poor old Neale, didn't he look a doofus when the pill cannoned off his plodding back.

I'd like to see Tommy Atkins as captain next year. Anyone over 30 should think about whether they can be arsed going around again. They all look buggered.

Fourth best percentage in the league.

Worst injury year for Geelong this century.

Still played a bit poorly at times though.

Weird year. Just wasn't meant to be. There is hope for next year. We are not rubbish
Club really needs to look into that. Very odd that Harry Taylor leaves and we suffer so many soft tissue injuries along with a lot of games where our players just didn't look fit enough.

Dunno who took his spot, but maybe send them out the door when Smith leaves...

This is what I talk about when I say the best captains are often the blokes that don't come at the pointy end of the draft. The blokes who aren't gifted the career are the ones that work harder than anyone else and who know what it's like for the average bloke on their list.

Atkins embodies that entirely. Stewart is another example.

Selwood is an obvious exception, but his work ethic and will were second to none (in the league and in all of my years of watching footy).

I played with guys who were insanely talented.

I also played with guys who had to work their **** off.

The latter often made the better captain because they understood a work ethic, the need / desire to work harder etc. They came from the trenches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats lose to Saints by enough to end our 23 Finals hopes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back