Review Cats take THE RIVALRY from the Hawks again with 51 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

The position where he kicked 21 goals in the first 11 games this year adding to the 41 last year? Yeah I’m sure they really fear his lack of talent putting him back there. 🤣

Thank goodness the pros are making the decisions here.
Stats are Great! Sometimes.
The ZERO goals in the last 4 games or 3 goals in his the last 6 games.
Can paint a different picture.
Add 2 subs (1 In & 1 Out)
Changes that picture again.
My hearing is. That. Rocket had been placed and lit.
We shall see if it has said effect.
Laziness, running patterns, no second efforts and his inability to influence games without the ball were all highlighted.
Let's see how this all plays out.
FWIW. Within the 50 arc of Rohan/Cameron/Neale can't have a OH in there.
Fingers crossed we see an Ollie version similar to our Rising Star Ollie.

It was a great win but one problem - whoever was PLAYING (choosing) the songs played after the Geelong goals needs to be fired into the sun.
What? You hate GoT theme?

1720306704440.png

What was the jazzy trumpet tune for Neale's goal?

I’ve been banging the table of playing Mannagh for WEEKS too.

He was tearing it up at VFL level, we needed guys who could come in and pressure the opposition players.
It was a staple of our 2022 side like the Richmond dynasty before them, pressure pressure PRESSURE the ball carrier and force them into turnovers.
If you look through the VFL thread, several of us have been asking for Mannagh to be given a chance.

Scott asked about this in the presser. Being sub was mainly to ease him back in. Pointedly said no one should interpret it as him not being in our best forward line, “he is”.
I'm calling bullshit on that.

There is always a chance you cop an early injury so the sub needs to be ready for a full game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the songs were selected by the players or maybe their teammates as a stitch up

I thought that the intro song from when the team is getting ready to make their approach from the tunnel before running through the banner was used at times also

But if you want "interesting" goal song choices, have a look at the ones chosen by the Lions players:
  • Daniher, Let It Go
  • McCarthy, American Pie
  • Charlie Cameron, Take Me Home, Country Road
  • Answerth, 3AM
  • McInerney, Not Pretty Enough

Full list here https://www.lions.com.au/news/1492758/just-dropped

I don't really pay much attention to the songs being played after a goal, unless it's from one of the Irish lads, but if it's a bit of interaction with the players then go for it
If you want to feel old Kai Lohmann selected "Oops I did it again" by Britney Spears, as his mother really liked Britney when she was his age

Its rather strange isnt it, Brad is such a quiet go about your job kind of bloke, doesnt scream prick in any which way……i guess he did kick 4 on them and is a Premiership player….yep what a prick 😉
Funnily enough I don't mind the 'Count Dracula' reference....although another Hawk poster called him a twerp too.

Generally they were pretty much admitting we're a better side than them, which is nice to know!

I wouldn't be surprised if the songs were selected by the players or maybe their teammates as a stitch up

I thought that the intro song from when the team is getting ready to make their approach from the tunnel before running through the banner was used at times also

But if you want "interesting" goal song choices, have a look at the ones chosen by the Lions players:
  • Daniher, Let It Go
  • McCarthy, American Pie
  • Charlie Cameron, Take Me Home, Country Road
  • Answerth, 3AM
  • McInerney, Not Pretty Enough

Full list here https://www.lions.com.au/news/1492758/just-dropped

I don't really pay much attention to the songs being played after a goal, unless it's from one of the Irish lads, but if it's a bit of interaction with the players then go for it
I've got to say the Lions songs really work with the crowd up here. Appreciate it more at "neutral" games tbh. But a full stadium singing Country Roads well after the next centre bounce after a Cameron goal is a pretty cool.

The position where he kicked 21 goals in the first 11 games this year adding to the 41 last year? Yeah I’m sure they really fear his lack of talent putting him back there. 🤣

Followed by three games in which he kicked none. Injuries may well have played a part but, like everyone, he should be selected on current form.

I have watched some of the vfl, but not as close as some. So I have a question: has mannagh’s defensive game always been this good at vfl level or has it developed?

Pure_Ownage could this be the reason he was made to stay in the magoos so long? Ie. you won’t get a game until you become a 2-way player?
Scott hinted at this in the press conference. Said that he it was a bit of coincidence that his call-up came after the bag of goals in the VFL. Really they have been training players to be able to play the AFL role that they want them to play - and for Mannagh that is that pressure high half forward.

I've got to say the Lions songs really work with the crowd up here. Appreciate it more at "neutral" games tbh. But a full stadium singing Country Roads well after the next centre bounce after a Cameron goal is a pretty cool.
Not hearing Country Roads this year at the Gabba was a season highlight for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laziness, running patterns, no second efforts and his inability to influence games without the ball were all highlighted.
Wasn’t he demoted from Collingwood side for lack 0f defensive effort? Memory is a bit hazy.

I have watched some of the vfl, but not as close as some. So I have a question: has mannagh’s defensive game always been this good at vfl level or has it developed?

Pure_Ownage could this be the reason he was made to stay in the magoos so long? Ie. you won’t get a game until you become a 2-way player?
The last couple of weeks he has moved into the “miers role” - which is not just high half forward but also be the extra MF at the stoppage around the ground. That means you are meant to be IN the contest as opposed to just outside (like they want Close and other HHF and the wingers).

So we have got to see that he is a contest player more because of the role (before that he was either deep and/or “normal HHF). Last night he played that “miers” role for a lot of the night and made it his own.

That is why Miers numbers were down a bit as he wasn’t around the contest as much (By the way before Miers owned that role it was Smith when he wasnt playing Wing).

I suspect we see this become “Mannagh’s role” from now

Disagree. It’s a professional sporting event. Not a nightclub.
It kills the true atmosphere of the game.

Last edited:

The pros that had him sub even though Hawkins is out?

1.6 goals a game aint great if thats all you do. His defensive pressure on the ground, and more importanly, in the air, is attrocious. Rohan kills o. Henry in both aspects of the game.

When rohan plays our other talls look better because they actually have to defend rohan.

Yet it doesn’t change the picture at all. Scott wants him straight back in. Perhaps ask yourself why?

The pros that had him sub even though Hawkins is out?

1.6 goals a game aint great if thats all you do. His defensive pressure on the ground, and more importanly, in the air, is attrocious. Rohan kills o. Henry in both aspects of the game.

When rohan plays our other talls look better because they actually have to defend rohan.
He doesn’t play Hawkins’ role.

Not everyone has to be a pressure player. Henry’s aerial work and goalkicking nous is what makes him a good complement to the other members of the forward line. Just sit back and enjoy Seedsy!

To my eye it wasn't, he was an overly offensively minded player. He was playing really deep forward for most of this year, last few weeks he started player more as a high half forward which was closer to what he did last year. Last week he was good at that secondary pressure where there was a scramble. And what he showed last night was a few levels higher than anyone could have seen.

In the games I've seen, he's definitely worked up & down the ground, got back to help out defenders, so the work rate has always been there. But I haven't seen that manic pressure we saw from him last night

The other thing that was noticeable last night compared with his earlier couple of games was the lowering of his eyes

After the Adelaide game there was comments about his hunger with a shot on goal he took when he had open teammates that he ignored. Last night we saw him lower the eyes and hit up teammates, including Miers which showed a positive change in approach

I don't want him to lose the goal instinct, but it's knowing when to take the shot yourself versus finding the open teammate. That was also likely part of the reason with his return to the VFL was learning about playing for Geelong, structures, processes & systems etc, because no doubt he can play but it was about whether or not he could fit into our system

I think that was actually a real positive from last night in how unselfish we were in front of goal and willingness to give to a teammate even when it would have been easy to kick the goal themselves. Only player I saw slightly frustrated at not receiving a handoff was Cameron in the last when Close kicked his fourth - never mind it was an easier kick for Close compared with getting a handball past defenders to find Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Back