Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people think that Bruhn is taking Clark's position. Bruhn is hopeless outside of the centre square and wont be able to play wing. When he plays it will be at the expense of one of the current centre square midfielders who will be pushed to play another position. - one of Bowes, Atkins or Stewart

Why do people think that Bruhn is taking Clark's position. Bruhn is hopeless outside of the centre square and wont be able to play wing. When he plays it will be at the expense of one of the current centre square midfielders who will be pushed to play another position. - one of Bowes, Atkins or Stewart

I was thinking earlier that our boy Bruhn will just come in for Clark (and I think he does), but with Danger and Stewart back in the middle and Bowes/Atkins also spending time in there... It pushed Clark to the outside last night and away form the centre square.

Bruhn has to play centre square if/when he comes in.

So Bruhn coming in (probably for Clark) will impact Atkins or Bowes' game... and that's assuming Stewart stay doing what he is doing.

Stewart and Danger need to be in the middle for mine, so that leaves minimal opportunities for the others.

Stewart and Danger can give us size, power and forward propulsion from a standing start in the guts (which is huge) and them playing in the middle our mix is so much more damaging than the smaller Atkins/Clark/Bruhn/Parf types.. so I hope they don't change it up.

I do expect Bruhn to come in... but I don't think he will just go into that outside role Clark played last night, so hopefully when he comes back, he is ready to impact and feed the ball to Danger/Stewart.

12.5 effective disposals per game to Bruhn this season compared to 7.7 for Clark.

5.5 clearances per game to Bruhn; 1.9 for Clark.

4.6 tackles per game to Bruhn; 2.7 for Clark.

Overall about double the output on these fairly important measures.

Bruhn getting to work with Dangerfield, Stewart and Bowes in form would be nice to see.

Think they've got a bit of a "born to rule" mentality being a big fish in a small footy pond. There's an expectation things will just work.

It's a rude awakening
Just remember with the Eagles - the guy in charge of everything is the idiot who thought the exercises were a good idea on the Crows Camp following the Toliger GF loss, oh how the mighty have fallen….

Anyone else think the injury excuse at the Pies is a bit disrespectful of our game.. I had Crunchtime on in the game and they said something like the Pies had the game on their terms but the personal issue out just hurt them in the end.

We won the inside 50s by 20 or something? They didn't seem to generate any attacking play all night and only scored off our mistakes... Out of their midfield they missed Cox who gets the ball about 5 times a game, and Tom Mitchell who was looking cooked early in the year before he was hurt anyway. We lost the hit outs comfortably anyway so Cox adds to an area they already were dominant in.
But in terms of on ball and territory game nothing moves the needle with the players they had out.
The reality is their midfield is thin, if the old blokes struggle like Pendles did last night it's all left to Daicos, and teams somewhat have worked out how to limit his effectiveness.

That win was better than the media or casual mugs who just by media hype will give it credit for

The last quarter was the most professional kill you would ever see, any oxygen was just taken out of the Pies and their fans. It was a thing of beauty and we arguably should have won by twice as much

12.5 effective disposals per game to Bruhn this season compared to 7.7 for Clark.

5.5 clearances per game to Bruhn; 1.9 for Clark.

4.6 tackles per game to Bruhn; 2.7 for Clark.

Overall about double the output on these fairly important measures.

Bruhn getting to work with Dangerfield, Stewart and Bowes in form would be nice to see.
Not to ignite too many fires but I think the point was more that Clark was playing wing mostly last night whereas Bruhn I don't know that I've ever seen play wing.

The idea that Bruhn wouldn't be competing for the role Clark was playing is not an invalid one.

Anyone else think the injury excuse at the Pies is a bit disrespectful of our game.. I had Crunchtime on in the game and they said something like the Pies had the game on their terms but the personal issue out just hurt them in the end.

We won the inside 50s by 20 or something? They didn't seem to generate any attacking play all night and only scored off our mistakes... Out of their midfield they missed Cox who gets the ball about 5 times a game, and Tom Mitchell who was looking cooked early in the year before he was hurt anyway. We lost the hit outs comfortably anyway so Cox adds to an area they already were dominant in.
But in terms of on ball and territory game nothing moves the needle with the players they had out.
The reality is their midfield is thin, if the old blokes struggle like Pendles did last night it's all left to Daicos, and teams somewhat have worked out how to limit his effectiveness.

That win was better than the media or casual mugs who just by media hype will give it credit for

The last quarter was the most professional kill you would ever see, any oxygen was just taken out of the Pies and their fans. It was a thing of beauty and we arguably should have won by twice as much
When your enemy is underestimating you, do not correct them

Not to ignite too many fires but I think the point was more that Clark was playing wing mostly last night whereas Bruhn I don't know that I've ever seen play wing.

The idea that Bruhn wouldn't be competing for the role Clark was playing is not an invalid one.
I get that, but how the team is structured when a best 22 player is not available does not have to remain rigid for when they are back. Geelong under Scott in recent years have rotated many players through midfield, so really just pick your best 6 or 7. Stewart will still roll back and Dangerfield forward at times.

I get that, but how the team is structured when a best 22 player is not available does not have to remain rigid for when they are back. Geelong under Scott in recent years have rotated many players through midfield, so really just pick your best 6 or 7. Stewart will still roll back and Dangerfield forward at times.
If you did get the point I was making then why dribble out the post comparing stats?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you did get the point I was making then why dribble out the post comparing stats?
They simply reflect that Bruhn's output is about twice as great as Clark's this year, and Geelong's favoured set up is having 6 or 7 competent midfield rotations. Dangerfield returning and Stewart being in the middle hasn't changed that.

If you want to make it personal and resort to mocking I have a reply to that as well. You have foamed at the mouth over every opportunity to criticise Bruhn over the past two seasons and I am sure the prospect of him not being best 23 is your wet dream, but we are not here to engage in mental masturbation.

This is why they call it icing the game. Cooler than Samuel L. Jackson in an igloo.

With or without certain players, thats is the best and most intense I have seen Collingwood play all season, against us last night. They were totally tanked at the end. Put in their injured players and let them play like the rest of the season, and we beat them by 10 goals.

Bruhn usually runs around the 20 centre bounce attendances when he plays, which is full-time in the guts numbers.

Last night CBA's were.

Stewart 23
SDK 22
Danger 20
Atkins 20
Bowes 11
Blitz 5
Clark 4
Holmes 3

Clark has had 5 and 5 CBA's in the last two weeks (I think some in junk time last night) and before the last couple of weeks and before Stewart going inside, Clark was pulling 15, 17, 18 CBA's.

So it looks like we have finally pulled Clark from the guts... which is no shock to me as he doesn't have the size to really compete in there and Stewart is far better.

You could say it's good coaching but I almost think some of these moves have taken too long and possibly cost us a game or two.

Clark not being in the guts - tick (but looked obvious a while ago).
Humphries into the side - tick (could have been in earlier).
Mannagh into the side - tick (could have been in earlier).
Stewart into the guts to shake the tag - tick (could have been done earlier).
SDK into the ruck has also been a tick I guess... although that one is a little less obvious for mine.

Anyway if Bruhn comes in for Clark (which I'd expect) then it'll probably impact Atkins games IMO... Maybe Bruhn/Axe and Bowes just fill the spots whenever Danger/Stewart are not on the ground, because I think Danger/Stewart should be in their as many times as possible.

They simply reflect that Bruhn's output is about twice as great as Clark's this year, and Geelong's favoured set up is having 6 or 7 competent midfield rotations. Dangerfield returning and Stewart being in the middle hasn't changed that.

If you want to make it personal and resort to mocking I have a reply to that as well. You have foamed at the mouth over every opportunity to criticise Bruhn over the past two seasons and I am sure the prospect of him not being best 23 is your wet dream, but we are not here to engage in mental masturbation.
You know what I think? I think he is actually Clark, and you are actually Bruhn.

Knock it off, guys! :grinv1::grinv1::tearsofjoy:

You know what I think? I think he is actually Clark, and you are actually Bruhn.

Knock it off, guys! :grinv1::grinv1::tearsofjoy:
I have been steadfast that Bruhn and Bowes should remain in the team, when a few have wanted them binned. Their best football this season has improved us, so now need to make that consistent.

I think Clark will be a good player in time, although it's way too early to be 100% convinced about such a thing. I wouldn't mind him in the side come finals this year, but it may be a year premature for where he is at.

It has been in the past when our midfield has been flogged, but I hope it isn't in the future.

Looks like we have changed it up in recent weeks (and for the good) with Danger/Stewart being more mainstays in the CBAs.

Happy for those two guys to be in the guts as much as possible with Bruhn/Axe and Bowes also rotating through the middle.

Maybe it's a similar amount of numbers but different names.

No Parf and basically no Clark... Stewart being in there now holds Holmes in the backline.

Different names but a much strong mix IMO.

It has been in the past when our midfield has been flogged, but I hope it isn't in the future.

Looks like we have changed it up in recent weeks (and for the good) with Danger/Stewart being more mainstays in the CBAs.

Happy for those two guys to be in the guts as much as possible with Bruhn/Axe and Bowes also rotating through the middle.
Dangerfield and Stewart being introduced into the midfield wouldn't have changed if Bruhn was playing instead of Clark. This is definitely overthinking things.

We see any changes for next week? Assume Neale will get up for the game.

The main one would be if stanley comes back so sdk can go back and handle darcy and jamarra.

Other than not many changes.
Henry wont be sub for a 3rd week in a row-so do we switch rohan to sub?

Its possible someone like tuohy might be due a rest but we also might play our strongest team this week and rest older guys for the tassie trip instead.
Clohesy deserves a game but i doubt we would look at it this week.

The main one would be if stanley comes back so sdk can go back and handle darcy and jamarra.

Other than not many changes.
Henry wont be sub for a 3rd week in a row-so do we switch rohan to sub?

Its possible someone like tuohy might be due a rest but we also might play our strongest team this week and rest older guys for the tassie trip instead.
Clohesy deserves a game but i doubt we would look at it this week.

Good call and a live possibility.

Darcy is a giraffe and SDK would be a good match up for him... much better than Kolo or Henry for sure.

If Stanley doesn't come in, it'll probably show me that we are sticking with SDK in the ruck all year.

Yeah, but also this is the best we've looked

Mannagh's already in the 22 and Bruhn is still injured. Again, if I were making changes to last night's team for a hypothetical Grand Final tomorrow I'd have O'Connor in for Clark.
Thats only bc of injuries though. Fully fit 22 and a couple have to drop out
Eg this could be our side
B: zuthrie henry duncan
Hb: humphries kolo stewart
C: dempsey holmes blicavs
Hf: miers cameron close
F:stengle neale ohenry
R: sdk dangerfield bruhn
Int: atkins mannagh bowes cuthrie
Sub: rohan/tuohy

Thats a 23 you could run with no clark or oconnor and thats before you look at whether to add a ruckman or knevitt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back