Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

He has to stay. He’s electric. When he tried to get it to jezz late and got nudged on the kick and it went through for a behind he couldn’t tell jezz quick enough that he was trying to get it to him. Looks like he’s doing his absolute best to follow instructions. Must stay

Yeah i noticed that (and to be fair he was trying to lob it into space so cameron could run in and kick it off the ground was a skill error). Is definitely high end for pressure (top 2 for pressure acts again) and trying extremely hard to show the coaches hes following their defensive instructions.

Bowes caught my eye when he was a Suns prospect, I liked some of what I saw from him and was surprised he couldn't quite nail down a spot up there.

I had some idea of what we were in for when he came on board, and yet I have very much sat on the fence with what he has actually produced in the hoops to date.

Putting together a nice block of midfield form now, though.
Versatility too. He was last player back in defence a few times, had a few inside 50s playing slightly forward of the ball, had a mark and goal at full forward, so that to go with a few CBAs.

Feels like a baton pass from Duncan to Bowes will be coming at some point.

A tense game to watch, both sides set up very well defensively when they didn't have the ball. (Having +1 in defence helps this)

It meant moving forward was very difficult, and it led to some players biting off more than they could chew with long diagonal kicks, resulting in turnovers.

I think Geelong adjusted better and became patient, and were also fitter and ran it out well.

Real coaches game tonight, and the players delivered

Do the Champion Data player ratings still get published? Would love to see Bobby Hill in the negative
10 disposals for 20 rating points. Lowest on the ground except for their sub.

And Parf?

He'll most likely spend the rest of the season trying to help the VFL team to their own success

Hard to see how those players on the outer fringes break into the 23

Assuming we dont change the ruck setup (i would but i think they wont although scott saying in the presser they will use stanley again is interesting) any changes will be
Bruhn for clark
If guthrie comes back it has to be as a defender for tuohy
Otherwise thats the best 23 with clark knevitt just outside.
The really tough call is the sub. Id say it needs to be rohan maybe as i dont think you can squeeze him and henry both in.
If we go back to stanley (and put sdk back) or hawkins makes it back they may tip neale out. But i dont think hawk gets back in time and im not 100 % sure guthrie does either.
The ruck setup definitely has flow on effects either way.
Yeah I agree you can't squeeze both rohan and Henry in and also can't squeeze both Hawkins and Neale in. I almost can't say it but we've been better with Neale.

I would still have Rohan ahead of Henry but Henry's game today is asking the question.

It's a great problem to have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A tense game to watch, both sides set up very well defensively when they didn't have the ball. (Having +1 in defence helps this)

It meant moving forward was very difficult, and it led to some players biting off more than they could chew with long diagonal kicks, resulting in turnovers.

I think Geelong adjusted better and became patient, and were also fitter and ran it out well.

Real coaches game tonight, and the players delivered

Interesting you say Geelong were fitter.

I was just looking at the Time On Ground for both teams. It's not the perfect indicator for fitness but it's pretty lopsided.

Geelong switching the ball early and often did a bit of a number on them too, I suspect.

1000013051.png

Yeah I agree you can't squeeze both rohan and Henry in and also can't squeeze both Hawkins and Neale in. I almost can't say it but we've been better with Neale.

I would still have Rohan ahead of Henry but Henry's game today is asking the question.

It's a great problem to have
Rohan's a great sub - manic pressure and defensive nous.

Can always tactically sub Henry out if need be?

Last edited:
He'll most likely spend the rest of the season trying to help the VFL team to their own success

Hard to see how those players on the outer fringes break into the 23
Maybe my bias is affecting judgement, but I thought he started the season well, and there was really only the one game he was poor, and that's it- out for the year. I get that other players are back from injury etc. but in some matches, I was sure he would have got a call back. I know you're probably correct about him. I do feel for him.

Why you do me dirty like this. I was happy after tonight's game :sunglasses: :tearsofjoy:

My comment was not a remark about his future. I am all aboard the teach him the game in the 2's and re-assess in 2025 basket.

He could become a very good player and make Wells look like a genius that other club fans envy even more in time. But have been in the camp all 2024 that he's not ready and needs to crawl in the VFL before walking in the AFL. Just like J.Henry, Miers, Neale, Dempsey etc all have done at Geelong. Who knows, maybe Mullin, Clohesy or even Willis could be another Bankers graduate in 2025.
Fair call on Mullin.
Hopeful Willis can make it, he has something.
Clohesy looks very good too.

Thats all very well and good but grundy gets out the front of stoppage better than most and sydney have mids that will kill you like that. Scott is going to have to do some cheat code coaching tactically to cover DKs inability to win hitouts if we get them in a final. Against all the average sides it will be ok but a sydney type can put 6 goals in 5 mins on you like that.

This is correct. It's more kudos to the mids given the huge imbalance in taps, so it really comes back to that quality, Danger in particular, and now Stewart.
There were times when they didn't get it right and lost sight of it- De Goey waltzed it out- but I feel our mids are getting used to the change. Hopefully we'll be set when next meet the Swans.

SDK is however good on his feet for a giant, that check side goal last week was a pearler. Have never seen Stanley do that (no knock on him)

This is correct. It's more kudos to the mids given the huge imbalance in taps, so it really comes back to that quality, Danger in particular, and now Stewart.
There were times when they didn't get it right and lost sight of it- De Goey waltzed it out- but I feel our mids are getting used to the change. Hopefully we'll be set when next meet the Swans.

SDK is however good on his feet for a giant, that check side goal last week was a pearler. Have never seen Stanley do that (no knock on him)
22 touches from our ruck too, how long since that happened??

Maybe my bias is affecting judgement, but I thought he started the season well, and there was really only the one game he was poor, and that's it- out for the year. I get that other players are back from injury etc. but in some matches, I was sure he would have got a call back. I know you're probably correct about him. I do feel for him.

I thought his first few games were really good and it seemed like he had turned things around after a disappointing 2023

We even saw Atkins shifted from the midfield to defence with Parfitt the preferred one of the pair in the guts

He then had a couple of less impactful games, Atkins returned to the midfield and Parfitt lost his spot

He's been a solid player for us over the years, but he just seemed to stall especially after the couple of breaks to his thumb & hand - just don't see how he breaks back into the team without a number of other players being unavailable

Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back