Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call and a live possibility.

Darcy is a giraffe and SDK would be a good match up for him... much better than Kolo or Henry for sure.

If Stanley doesn't come in, it'll probably show me that we are sticking with SDK in the ruck all year.

I agree..if youre going to put a ruck in this is the week you justify it when they have english lobb darcy jamarra etc.
Given scott said in the presser last night that we wont ruck sdk all the rest of the year i reckon thia week we change it.
Henry would get outsized otherwise.

Bruhn usually runs around the 20 centre bounce attendances when he plays, which is full-time in the guts numbers.

Last night CBA's were.

Stewart 23
SDK 22
Danger 20
Atkins 20
Bowes 11
Blitz 5
Clark 4
Holmes 3

Clark has had 5 and 5 CBA's in the last two weeks (I think some in junk time last night) and before the last couple of weeks and before Stewart going inside, Clark was pulling 15, 17, 18 CBA's.

So it looks like we have finally pulled Clark from the guts... which is no shock to me as he doesn't have the size to really compete in there and Stewart is far better.

You could say it's good coaching but I almost think some of these moves have taken too long and possibly cost us a game or two.

Clark not being in the guts - tick (but looked obvious a while ago).
Humphries into the side - tick (could have been in earlier).
Mannagh into the side - tick (could have been in earlier).
Stewart into the guts to shake the tag - tick (could have been done earlier).
SDK into the ruck has also been a tick I guess... although that one is a little less obvious for mine.

Anyway if Bruhn comes in for Clark (which I'd expect) then it'll probably impact Atkins games IMO... Maybe Bruhn/Axe and Bowes just fill the spots whenever Danger/Stewart are not on the ground, because I think Danger/Stewart should be in their as many times as possible.
Yeah, I guess that's the question. Bruhns 20ish CBAs come from other high CBA players.

Last two weeks our midfield rotation has done really well. Hard to see how you slot him in without changing something that is working

Yeah, but also this is the best we've looked
Correlation doesn't equal causation. Come on, let's engage some brain power here. There are a million variables at play.

But if you wanted a more likely indicator, I'd say Neale and Rohan in for Hawkins and Henry, or Stanley and Cam Guthrie being phased out has been more significant than Bruhn being absent. And then a whole lot has simply been down to Dangerfield returning. None of these factors preclude Bruhn from being best 22 and giving us an upgrade over Clark when he is ready.

Bruhn usually runs around the 20 centre bounce attendances when he plays, which is full-time in the guts numbers.

Last night CBA's were.

Stewart 23
SDK 22
Danger 20
Atkins 20
Bowes 11
Blitz 5
Clark 4
Holmes 3

Clark has had 5 and 5 CBA's in the last two weeks (I think some in junk time last night) and before the last couple of weeks and before Stewart going inside, Clark was pulling 15, 17, 18 CBA's.

So it looks like we have finally pulled Clark from the guts... which is no shock to me as he doesn't have the size to really compete in there and Stewart is far better.

You could say it's good coaching but I almost think some of these moves have taken too long and possibly cost us a game or two.

Clark not being in the guts - tick (but looked obvious a while ago).
Humphries into the side - tick (could have been in earlier).
Mannagh into the side - tick (could have been in earlier).
Stewart into the guts to shake the tag - tick (could have been done earlier).
SDK into the ruck has also been a tick I guess... although that one is a little less obvious for mine.

Anyway if Bruhn comes in for Clark (which I'd expect) then it'll probably impact Atkins games IMO... Maybe Bruhn/Axe and Bowes just fill the spots whenever Danger/Stewart are not on the ground, because I think Danger/Stewart should be in their as many times as possible.
Good analysis.

Anyway if you replace Clark with Bruhn:

He gets Clark's 4. He probably takes 5 off Atkins. Then 1 or 2 off the others. There's his 15-20.

Bruhn averages 2.5 centre clearances a game. The next best Geelong midfielder averages 2.0. They'll find a way to make it work. He'll continue to get lower time on ground, reflective of Clark's minutes.

Good analysis.

He gets Clark's 4. He probably takes 5 off Atkins. Then 1 or 2 off the others. There's his 15-20.

Bruhn averages 2.5 centre clearances a game. The next best Geelong midfielder averages 2.0. They'll find a way to make it work. He'll continue to get lower time on ground, reflective of Clark's minutes.
I agree he will come in and be plonked straight back in the middle.

Clark most likely out... Atkins might get more bench time unless tagging.

Seems like a net win to me assuming Bruhn is continuing to improve.

I have been hard on Clark but he has been ok in the last 4 weeks.. but not B22 when almost all our mids are fit (next year).

Anyone listen to the ABC Daily podcast? I thought I’d give it a go today, listen to some sweet Cats winning content. Bloody Hell I didn’t realise what a dumpster fire ABC football has become, Mick Malthouse still salty after all these years, sooking it up a storm about the Pies, how they’ll win the rest of the games and Geelong are no good, pies fans ringing up complaining about umpiring and trying to get cats players suspended and the club fined, the commentary team enabling all this and no one actually challenging any of the calls. AFL media really is in the toilet.

Anyone else find Scotty's comments on Guthrie interesting in the post match?

Mentioned that we'll get him back, when the mood around here has certainly been sombre that he'd even play again this year, much less have an impact.

It's going to be a tough one. Guthrie circa 2020-22 could be the difference between a flag this year or not...but I don't know if that player exists anymore.

It does beg the question, is he actually properly injured? Or in a 'mini-preseason' of sorts?

If he is actually injured, one would guess it's hard to see him getting back in with 6 games to go, and you'd think he'd need at least 2 at VFL level to get back up to speed.

We can't afford to carry the Cam we've had this year in a final for mine, so if it is true, hopefully he's closer to his A grade self.

Anyone else find Scotty's comments on Guthrie interesting in the post match?

Mentioned that we'll get him back, when the mood around here has certainly been sombre that he'd even play again this year, much less have an impact.

It's going to be a tough one. Guthrie circa 2020-22 could be the difference between a flag this year or not...but I don't know if that player exists anymore.

It does beg the question, is he actually properly injured? Or in a 'mini-preseason' of sorts?

If he is actually injured, one would guess it's hard to see him getting back in with 6 games to go, and you'd think he'd need at least 2 at VFL level to get back up to speed.
6 weeks to go? Can’t see how he would possibly have the match fitness to be able to slot straight in for the finals …Bruhn will come back in but I just can’t see Cam coming back this year

6 weeks to go? Can’t see how he would possibly have the match fitness to be able to slot straight in for the finals …Bruhn will come back in but I just can’t see Cam coming back this year
That's my thinking too, and the only caveat would be he's not actually injured, and rather being trained up to speed.

It just caught my attention, as let's say Cam needs 2 games at VFL level at a minimum, and then about a month to find his footing at AFL level again.

It's a risk with finals so close I reckon, and just makes me think there's more to it than we know if Scott's confident enough to name him as somebody we're definitely getting back.

I know there’s been a bit mentioned about the game style we played last night, especially the kick to handball ratio but not sure I’ve actually seen our marks stat mentioned before now - the number of uncontested marks we took last night just sounds crazy high compared with other games

Guessing it’s not a style we’ll be playing each week, but good to see how we adapt to our different opponents

“Taking a leaf out of Essendon's book (and ironically Chris Scott's twin brother, Brad), the Cats went out with a plan to utilise the uncontested marking game style to their advantage, preventing the Pies from adding chaos to the contest.

Scott's men racked up 145 marks (139 uncontested) to 75, refusing to give Craig McRae's men a sniff.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

774 was better today. Had a toothless Pies idiot ring up asking how many weeks Cameron would get for his collar tackle on Daicos. Pretty much unanimously they shot it down with, "Are you kidding? No case to answer."
I did skip forward on that one, probably because I’d sat through a couple complaining about umpiring. Really wish commentators would put a stop to this crap, it’s so boring.

The unfortunate thing for Danger is that he was carrying the Geelong team at his peak so he never got to be the dominant finals player. Dusty was incredible from 2017-2020, but he was in a great team and could just play his game.
Danger has always been the better player imo

A great watch looking at the greatest seasons by individual playes since 2012. Pity it does not go back to 07

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Without looking at the oppo, I'd say the same.

But PO has mentioned good points... the dogs have extreme height.

I'm learning towards that it might happen.

If we give Henry the JUH matchup, who stands Darcy and Lobb if SDK is rucking?
Yeah but I think Stanley's body won't let him be competitive. I don't think it's a choice we can make. If we have a mismatch then we just have to deal with it

Correlation doesn't equal causation. Come on, let's engage some brain power here. There are a million variables at play.

But if you wanted a more likely indicator, I'd say Neale and Rohan in for Hawkins and Henry, or Stanley and Cam Guthrie being phased out has been more significant than Bruhn being absent. And then a whole lot has simply been down to Dangerfield returning. None of these factors preclude Bruhn from being best 22 and giving us an upgrade over Clark when he is ready.
Yeah I'm not saying he's the cause though, I'm just saying it wasn't an invalid talking point.

We probably end up doing more pagans paddock type arrangements with jez

Yeah I'm not saying he's the cause though, I'm just saying it wasn't an invalid talking point.

We probably end up doing more pagans paddock type arrangements with jez
Well I was talking about it, so obviously didn't think it was an invalid talking point. Merely offering my thoughts on the topic, that our strongest centre clearance per game player this season (Bruhn) will likely add to the refreshed midfield configuration, and not be some sort of hindrance.

I know there’s been a bit mentioned about the game style we played last night, especially the kick to handball ratio but not sure I’ve actually seen our marks stat mentioned before now - the number of uncontested marks we took last night just sounds crazy high compared with other games

Guessing it’s not a style we’ll be playing each week, but good to see how we adapt to our different opponents

“Taking a leaf out of Essendon's book (and ironically Chris Scott's twin brother, Brad), the Cats went out with a plan to utilise the uncontested marking game style to their advantage, preventing the Pies from adding chaos to the contest.

Scott's men racked up 145 marks (139 uncontested) to 75, refusing to give Craig McRae's men a sniff.”

I love the way the umpires saw that we were going to beat Collingwood in a certain way and specifically changed a rule interpretation to stop us specifically for that game.

No one in the comp bats an eye

Good analysis.

Which is what I said in my first post 🤦

Good analysis.

Just a bit of a nerdy observation, but if he attends 20 centre clearances for 2.5 centre clearances a game, that's 1 in 8. There are precisely 8 players attending any centre bounce including ruckmen. So by that you'd say he's neither doing any better nor any worse at clearances than any other player there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back