Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a bit of a nerdy observation, but if he attends 20 centre clearances for 2.5 centre clearances a game, that's 1 in 8. There are precisely 8 players attending any centre bounce including ruckmen. So by that you'd say he's neither doing any better nor any worse at clearances than any other player there.

A few things

Not all centre bounces result in a centre clearance, this year 17% of centre bounces in games we've played didn't result in a centre clearance to either us or our opponent.

Centre clearances controlled by centre bounce attendance is a negatively skewed stat, with fewer players being above the mean than below it.

I love the way the umpires saw that we were going to beat Collingwood in a certain way and specifically changed a rule interpretation to stop us specifically for that game.

No one in the comp bats an eye
Can we actually point to any that were adjudicated incorrectly or is Chris Scott just having a sook?

A few things

Not all centre bounces result in a centre clearance, this year 17% of centre bounces in games we've played didn't result in a centre clearance to either us or our opponent.

Centre clearances controlled by centre bounce attendance is a negatively skewed stat, with fewer players being above the mean than below it.
Good point.

Just listening to the ABC AFL Daily replay from Saturday morning.

I can’t believe they’re saying the Daicos tackle, where he copped the corky, was wrong. Its should be called the ABC Pies Show. It was possibly the most obvious holding the ball free kick of the year. I think it’s great they’re interpreting htb when a player has an arm free.

Some pies fan rang up and complained about throwing the ball. I agree but, hello…Daicos?

Mick Malthouse is a bitter man. He doesn’t rate the cats at all and says the pies are still a top 4 team.

Bruhn usually runs around the 20 centre bounce attendances when he plays, which is full-time in the guts numbers.

Last night CBA's were.

Stewart 23
SDK 22
Danger 20
Atkins 20
Bowes 11
Blitz 5
Clark 4
Holmes 3

Clark has had 5 and 5 CBA's in the last two weeks (I think some in junk time last night) and before the last couple of weeks and before Stewart going inside, Clark was pulling 15, 17, 18 CBA's.

So it looks like we have finally pulled Clark from the guts... which is no shock to me as he doesn't have the size to really compete in there and Stewart is far better.

You could say it's good coaching but I almost think some of these moves have taken too long and possibly cost us a game or two.

Clark not being in the guts - tick (but looked obvious a while ago).
Humphries into the side - tick (could have been in earlier).
Mannagh into the side - tick (could have been in earlier).
Stewart into the guts to shake the tag - tick (could have been done earlier).
SDK into the ruck has also been a tick I guess... although that one is a little less obvious for mine.

Anyway if Bruhn comes in for Clark (which I'd expect) then it'll probably impact Atkins games IMO... Maybe Bruhn/Axe and Bowes just fill the spots whenever Danger/Stewart are not on the ground, because I think Danger/Stewart should be in their as many times as possible.

That looks about right but I'm not sure the midfield is/should be completely interchangeable. Danger's main focus out bounces is hunting the ball, Stewart plays as a sweeper, and Atkins a stopper. I wouldn't want to just swap Atkins for Bruhn as I don't believe he's as good in a stopping role.

And for the rest of the H&A season I think the focus should not just be banking wins, but also getting as much midfield experience into Stewarts as possible while also limiting Danger's workload.

The sunnies are back...

Noticed winty has this for his avatar :sparklingheart:
Super cool guy*
Very impressed by his composure + eloquence in his interview
An outstanding guy in all areas

*Humphries too ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely smacked him. Hills only touches were worthless ones up the ground. Outstanding job tonight Zach Guthrie, super reliable as always.
Must correct you MacStradbroke, Cuthrie was actually playing, not Zuthrie. . .BT said it, so must be true :rolleyes:

Mick Malthouse is a bitter man. He doesn’t rate the cats at all and says the pies are still a top 4 team.

I had the displeasure of hearing Malthouse doing special comments on ABC radio on Friday night. He spent the entire game talking about Collingwood having the ascendancy despite us leading for the majority, every time we scored a goal he would comment on how Collingwood’s system had broken down instead of highlighting good play by us. Fortunately he piped up less in the last quarter, I wonder why 🤔

Dangerfield and Stewart just bullied them, poor guys.
Dangerfield + Stewart the 'Bash Brothers'

Bash Brothers - Dangerfield + Stewart.jpeg

Dangerfield has returned as brutal as ever, has the same hard running bursts, powerful contested work, ability to control midfield - just so dynamic + since his return, we've seen just how brilliantly he pulls the MF together + players respond. Our MF improvement is also a result of Stewart playing there.

Obviously, SDK to ruck as Conway is injured + Stanley in poor form. Add the younger guys, who've responded so well to MF changes.

Last edited:
How do you think we are dealing with the dogs tall forwards then? Not COS surely?
I know the weather forecast is like a lottery, but the 7-day forecast indicates showers on both Fri and Sat, so would being over-tall like the Dogs seem to be may be a disadvantage for them? The Bummers were caught out last night being too tall in the wet, two metre Peter being more like a totem pole than a target. And Stringer back to invisible. Blues also played two rucks, Pittonet and TDK against the Dawgs.

Dangerfield + Stewart the 'Bash Brothers'

View attachment 2047823

Dangerfield has returned as brutal as ever, has the same hard running bursts, powerful contested work, ability to control midfield - just so dynamic + since his return, we've seen just how brilliantly he pulls the MF together + players respond. Our MF improvement is also a result of Stewart playing there.

Obviously, SDK to ruck as Conway is injured + Stanley in poor form. Add the younger guys, who've responded so well to MD changes.
I love what these two have added to the midfield. A fit Danger is an A-class superstar, and now that Stewart has gotten his mojo back he's also A-class too. Hence suddenly Atkins and co shuffle back to being 3rd-4th bananas and have less pressure on them, or they can focus on tagging a bit more if need be. I also think the mobility and youth of SDK in the ruck adds a fair bit too, and it's given him more confidence. Indeed the whole side now just has confidence, regained after the seven week hiatus. Reckon we're back in the mix again for sure.

Just a bit of a nerdy observation, but if he attends 20 centre clearances for 2.5 centre clearances a game, that's 1 in 8. There are precisely 8 players attending any centre bounce including ruckmen. So by that you'd say he's neither doing any better nor any worse at clearances than any other player there.
I get the angle you're coming from, but the correct way to do this would actually be to divide total CB appearances by total CB clearances and then order by rank for Geelong players. And this still wouldn't be perfect. Score differentials from centre bounce clearances for each player from their total CB involvements would tell us more.

If you wanna go collect that data and bring it back for us then it could be interesting. I'd be surprised if Bruhn wasn't in our top 6 for either, and Scott likes to roll with at least 6 midfield rotations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats triumph by 20 over reigning premiers and put another nail in their season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back