Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion Qualifying Final @ ? v Demons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berry could be a huge difference for us compared to the last time we came up against Melbourne. His physicality, pressure and aggression could go a long way to lessening the impact of Gawn, Oliver and Petracca. Personally would keep Fullerton in the team and upon watching the replay he certainly had some poor moments but to think Archie would offer the same around the ground is a bit silly in my mind, particularly against Luke Jackson where he won't get found out like he did against Naitanui.
My only changes for this weekend would be:
Andrews for Lester
Robinson for Prior
With Prior being very unlucky however I can't see Birchall being dropped now that we've made it to finals.
Think it's pretty obvious to say the midfield is going to play a huge part in this game and I'd like to see us go with Neale, Berry and McCluggage at the very first centre bounce as I think in particular those younger two provide the most pressure and physicality along with Zorko but I just love Hugh's class in the middle. Also makes Lyons, Zorko and Bailey a pretty impactful and impressive second unit.

Berry could be a huge difference for us compared to the last time we came up against Melbourne. His physicality, pressure and aggression could go a long way to lessening the impact of Gawn, Oliver and Petracca. Personally would keep Fullerton in the team and upon watching the replay he certainly had some poor moments but to think Archie would offer the same around the ground is a bit silly in my mind, particularly against Luke Jackson where he won't get found out like he did against Naitanui.
Andrews for Lester
Robinson for Prior
With Prior being very unlucky however I can't see Birchall being dropped now that we've made it to finals.
Think it's pretty obvious to say the midfield is going to play a huge part in this game and I'd like to see us go with Neale, Berry and McCluggage at the very first centre bounce as I think in particular those younger two provide the most pressure and physicality along with Zorko but I just love Hugh's class in the middle. Also makes Lyons, Zorko and Bailey a pretty impactful and impressive second unit.

Was thinking something similar earlier today. Berry hitting career best form in the finals series could make us very difficult to beat.

We must hope the Selection committee seriously consider match ups this week and not just loyalty. Our backline must be adapted to need. Harris to Sideshow,Adams to McDonald, Starc to Fritsch and Kiddy to Pickett. One of Lester or Birchall must miss in this scenario otherwise we are too slow. The Big O needs to compete aggressively against Max and jump at him at every contest. Make it hard for him. Similarly Fullaz must make Jackson accountable as much as he can. Jackson is the more complete Footballer at this stage. Berry to either Petracca or Oliver in an aggressive tag. May will go to Daniher and Lever to McStay.
If we can achieve parity in these battles I think our small forwards can get a hold of them.
This should be a wonderful game. Can't wait.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Andrews for Lester
Robinson for Prior
Just to add to the Fullerton talk I think he's going to have to play a huge role when he's forward as I can see Melbourne sending Lever to him in the hopes he can roll off and impact the rest of our forward line, will have to play a pretty selfless role which I think can help him.

Just to add to the Fullerton talk I think he's going to have to play a huge role when he's forward as I can see Melbourne sending Lever to him in the hopes he can roll off and impact the rest of our forward line, will have to play a pretty selfless role which I think can help him.

Yeah spot on. I really hope we are prepared for that match up because it’s highly likely. Fullarton just needs to focus on keeping him quiet.

Never said I was admiring him. Personally, I'd have pushed games into Madden over Birch most of the year. That said, no way I'm dropping an experienced multi-premiership player for Madden now. Like him or not, this is when Birch is most valuable to us. Wont get overawed. Will hold up play if we are getting ahead of ourselves. Can calm a few younger guns who aren't used to finals footy.
He did it in the Richmond game last year . Kept getting it over the boundary line beautifully.

He's not in the form he was then though.

Time for Richy to have a rest, swing Harris forward, put Payne in the ruck, McStay goes back and for good measure Charlie as a small defender on Pickett, otherwise we have no chance.

Ridiculous!

Richy to forward pocket , Harris on ball, drop Lachie and Lyons for the kids Joyce and Coleman Jnr, play Oscar as permanent FF and McStay in the ruck all game

Or GTFO. :tonguewink:

#playthekids

Last edited:
We must hope the Selection committee seriously consider match ups this week and not just loyalty. Our backline must be adapted to need. Harris to Sideshow,Adams to McDonald, Starc to Fritsch and Kiddy to Pickett. One of Lester or Birchall must miss in this scenario otherwise we are too slow. The Big O needs to compete aggressively against Max and jump at him at every contest. Make it hard for him. Similarly Fullaz must make Jackson accountable as much as he can. Jackson is the more complete Footballer at this stage. Berry to either Petracca or Oliver in an aggressive tag. May will go to Daniher and Lever to McStay.
If we can achieve parity in these battles I think our small forwards can get a hold of them.
This should be a wonderful game. Can't wait.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm worried about Starc on Fritch. Fritch isn't fast but has fab judgement of the ball in the air. I'd be tempted to go with Birch on him instead. Also Fritch isn't that great defensively. I don't know about a match for pickett(if there is a match for pickett!!!!). Not sure Kiddy is quick enough.

I agree. The other thing I can see being important is getting goals from the likes of McCarthy, Cockatoo, Ah Chee and Bailey. I feel like Daniher (May), Fullarton (Lever), McStay (Petty) and Cameron (Smith) have more obvious match-ups, whereas those others will end up on the the more offensively minded players like Salem, Bowey and Rivers. Whoever is on Lever, keeping him busy and avoiding him coming off his man to help those guys is going to be important.

It'll be interesting to see how we match-up on the other end. The one I'm not sure about is who we get to follow Mcdonald up the ground as he plays the link man.

Melbourne play a similar brand of footy to us. Not exactly the same, but similar styles and strengths. We have to be able to take the fluidity off their ball movement. We need to be able to prevent them from taking intercept marks and then launching through the middle, they have the speed to simply out run us going back with the ball. We wont get to swiftly move the ball from one end to the other, but we do need to get some kind of fluid ball movement going if we can. Speed isn't everything, we just need to be able to play on (relatively quickly) and hit up those 30m kicks, keep the defense moving and repositioning and allow gaps to open up. Maintain ball control and get the ball inside 50 and lock it in there. I think overall, we are more dangerous in front of goals, and if we can get enough inside 50's and lock the ball in, we can kick a winning score.

If we can't get our ball movement going, we MUST kill the ball when it is kicked long. We MUST get numbers to crumb that contest when it happens and we CAN NOT allow them to get any kind of speed on their ball movement. Pound for pound, they are a much faster team at probably every match up, and if they can get just a little bit of speed on it, we will get opened up, just like we have time and time again by teams who can produce that kind of ball movement. We MUST not kick the ball to them and let them intercept mark, then hit up those short kicks, get the speed going and end up with and easy goal out the back. Ball control and field position control is going to be vital. We can rain goals on teams in short amounts of time when we control field position. If we force the opposition to kick it high and long so we can intercept it ourselves.

Big O needs to have a big game. He has to keep Gawn under control. Like Nic Nat last week, there is only so much he can probably do, but we can NOT have Gawn putting it down the throat of their mids and have them stream out of the center square and hitting up their forwards. Oliver needs to be kept under wraps as well. Likewise, he is going to get his fair share, but last time we played, that 2nd half he won so much of the ball in the middle and go it out to their outside players.

A lot of danger areas for us in this game, however, we should take some confidence from the fact that we did play the first half of our last match up extremely well. It was text book lions footy and we were well on top. We should be looking for redemption for last time and to finish the job.

I hope we've learnt the lesson of the last game we played and don't decide after a couple of free kicks to stop holding onto Oliver and Petracca at stoppages. Umpires will call less in finals (nonsense about letting the game be played without umpiring interference) and we should try exploit that.

I hate the pre-tackle, but everyone does it and they have more power in the middle so its the right time to engage in some very negative play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What, you think that a close to goal forward who kicks 4 goals in a match is proof of his greatness? geeeeez! If you get to play goal square Full Forward in a team that's flying high and don't kick at least 3 per game then you are under par. Daniher finished 11th in the goalkicking. 45 goals in 22 matches is WAYYYYYY under par. Bailey fricken Fritch was better. In addition Danihers lack of competitiveness in the ruck has meant we now have to play Fullarton which unbalances us even more. His kicking for goal is horrible, his effort is often non existent, his marking is average.

And how much do we pay him?

Geez, are you secretly a bombers fan?! Don't know how anyone cannot see how Joey's game has improved through out the year. Yes his rucking is poor but that's probably because he doesn't like playing the position. Just because he's tall doesn't mean he's a natural ruckman. And he kicked 4 goals against the Eagles, being the only player to kick at least one goal for EVERY GAME.

I can't see us not bringing the pressure in this game , goes without saying so will they.
So what will kill us is, if we bang it on the boot blindly when we are deep in congestion and under immense pressure. They will pick us off.
We have to get receiving runners to receive a handball , then maybe time to look up and kick it to advantage or handball to overlapping runner then kick.
Problem is this doesn't always happen for us, when a team brings the heat, its a must , do this and as long as we do the other things we are unbeatable.
Big game for those type of players, outside and inside mids, Bails , Zorks, Kiddy , Berry, Neale and so on.

Everything falls into place and I think we win by 23 pts.

I don't speculate on who plays on who because I don't have paidTV so don't see lots of opposition games so these are my predictions :

BOG - Bailey, Lyons, Zorks, Andrews, Adams
Goals - 3 for McStay, 4 for Joey, 2 for Charlie, Linc1 , Clug1, Bailey1, O1

4th qtr score line:
Us - 13.5. 83
Them - 9.6.60

GO LIONS! 🦁🔴🟡🔵🦁

The biggest change over the last three weeks is that we've comfortable out tackled our opponents:
vs. Freo - 71-35
vs. Coll - 65-47
vs. WC - 82-51.

It's no coincidence that we lost the tackle count the four weeks prior to that run of matches and we went 1-3, beating only GC.

We're 9-2 when we win the tackle count, with the two losses being against Geelong and Melbourne when the tackle count was almost even (+1 both times). Melbourne lead the league in tackles and tackled inside 50, so it's going to be interesting to see how we go.

I wonder if the coaching staff highlight a couple of players on the Demons list who love playing for the free kick, and to not get sucked into the niggles/free kick reversals. Know that happened a few times in our earlier match up in the year. Players like Spargo, Pickett etc; Does this happen Mighty Lions or nah?
There is nothing the coach's and players miss in preparing for a game. (in my opinion that is) The homework and preparation for every game is unbelievable as I am told.

Was thinking something similar earlier today. Berry hitting career best form in the finals series could make us very difficult to beat.
Not so sure he is hitting "career best form" but his game has picked up significantly from when he first came back into the 22. Still has a long way to go before he hit his peak form again in my opinion.

Hi Lions faithful.

I am personally feeling a bit pessimistic about this. I know it’s typical for other posters to come in and say ‘we will lose’ but I think your midfield depth will stretch us. Zorko, McCluggage, Neale, Lyons, Bailey (rotating), Berry, and Robinson. I feel that Andrews goes straight to Brown given he is our best forward at the moment. McDonald isn’t playing well and Adams gets him.

The issue I have with Melbourne is midfield depth. Oliver is an A grade contested pig and Petracca has the ability to rip open a game in 5 minutes, but, Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow and Langdon aren’t really a match for your midfield. Harmes is our third best midfielder. McInerney is a good ruckman and dangerous in the 50, I think he will smash into Gawn all night. Clearly you’ll want to get first hands on the ball in the middle, and I think if you do this your forwards will get on top early. Cameron and McCarthy also lead at the ball, so it’s a handful.

Personally I feel our key is Jackson and using him effectively. If we can get Max to float forward then that’ll bother you a bit. I am pretty anxious about this. I think our best footy is good enough but we are going to need huge games from that second tier of midfielder I mentioned. If it’s all left to Oliver and Petracca then we aren’t winning.

I am not wishing you good luck because I don’t want you to have it, and vice versa I presume, but it’ll be a bloody good game and I think if you win you’re a huge chance to win it. You seem to have the wood on Port and I don’t rate Geelong. In fact I think our win was a bit overrated against them as the are very one dimensional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back