Preview Changes and prematch discussion vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

The North thing to do would be out McKay, Xerri and Curtis and IN Bonar, CCJ and Stephenson.

I appreciate that you are being ever so slightly snarky here but these INs are quite likely and two of the OUTs are enforced. It won't be Curtis out for Sleevo but you could certainly throw a blanket over several players who could do with some time in the VFL to reacquaint themselves with a Sherrin.

CARLTON v NORTH MELBOURNE (Digby Morrell Cup)

Saturday April 30, 7.25pm at Marvel Stadium

How to watch on Fox Footy: Channel 504 from 7.20pm hosted by Sarah Jones with Anthony Hudson, Jordan Lewis, Gerard Healy and Cam Mooney.

Blues’ burning question: How will they cope without Marc Pittonet?

Carlton will be without its No. 1 ruckman for up to three months in a massive blow to the club’s 2022 campaign. It means 22-year-old Tom De Koning will have to step up into the role, with Todd Goldstein and likely Callum Coleman-Jones to be his opponents. It’s crucial the Blues’ on-ball brigade is on-song at the contest on Saturday night to best support De Koning — and they have been so far this season, ranking second for contested ball differential thanks to the likes of George Hewett, Patrick Cripps and Matt Kennedy. Conversely, the Kangaroos are ranked 16th in this area, so you’d expect the Blues to be dominant.

Kangaroos’ burning question: Should we really be talking priority picks with them?

Veteran reporter Caroline Wilson on Wednesday night told Footy Classified the priority pick discussion around the Roos was “back firmly on the table”. Since Round 3 of the 2020 season, the Kangaroos have won just six of their 42 matches amid a drastic list turnover that’s seen 17 players delisted over the past two off-seasons. For many pundits and fans, though, the solution shouldn’t be a priority pick. It simply must be an all-team intensity lift, particularly at the start of matches. In their past four games, the Roos have kicked 8.2 in first quarters but conceded 21.14. As former coach Ross Lyon said on Channel 9: “Don‘t worry about asking for priority picks until you show us in the first quarter that you can have a real dip.”

I appreciate that you are being ever so slightly snarky here but these INs are quite likely and two of the OUTs are enforced. It won't be Curtis out for Sleevo but you could certainly throw a blanket over several players who could do with some time in the VFL to reacquaint themselves with a Sherrin.
Id drop Turner, Mahony and Atu this week but with 2 forced changes and a best 22 player to return it'll only be one of them for Stephenson. They shouldn't be keeping Ford or Comben out thats for sure. But most likely will.

From a best 22 perspective were missing Hall, McKay, Cunnington, Powell and Phillips this week. I have Comben in there as well.
They will be replaced with Bonar, Walker, Young and maybe all of Turner, Mahony and Atu. Id personally like to see Curtis stay and Ford come in along with Comben and Stephenson. CCJ too.
We need to get games into our talented kids. Its a must.

B: Bonar Walker Scott
HB: McDonald Corr Perez
C: Stephenson LDU Taylor
HF: JHF Comben Thomas
F: Ziebell Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldstein Simpkin Greenwood
I: Curtis Ford Young CCJ

IN: Stephenson Comben Ford CCJ Bonar
OUT: McKay Xerri Turner Mahony Atu

With Hall out we need to keep Turner in the side so that MacDonald and Perez can stay away from those lockdown roles.

Context for the differences between the side we beat Carlton with last year:

View attachment 1385896

No Cunnington, Dumont, Hall, McKay & Anderson this time...

Expectation management.
And yet the GDT thread will be full of people saying Carlton are gettable and then getting shitty we're not living up to their unrealistic expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context for the differences between the side we beat Carlton with last year:

View attachment 1385896

No Cunnington, Dumont, Hall, McKay & Anderson this time...

Expectation management.
Very good post, should honestly be part of the opening post for the game day thread. Hell, pin it to the top to remind everyone.

Noble is playing McDonald on the wing still, He needs to go back and take the kick outs and also give us some intercepting.
I'm happy enough with Silver playing wing. In isolation. Your point is completely right though, we have key outs (and JZ forward) leaving us with distinct weaknesses in the back half, and while Silver might not be able to wrestle a gorilla he's a great intercept and I'd rather him taking the kick outs than Young.

Throw silver back there and put Powell on the wing IMO. Or Sleevo just slots back in there, whatever. Point is we can cover that wing spot easily enough.

So Ford is definitely an out being sighted in a moonboot ffs

B: Bonar Walker Scott
HB: McDonald Corr Perez
C: Stephenson LDU Taylor
HF: JHF Comben Thomas
F: Ziebell Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldstein Simpkin Greenwood
I: Curtis Young CCJ Turner
S: Mahony

IN: Stephenson Comben CCJ Bonar
OUT: McKay Xerri Mahony Atu

We are going to get annihilated lol