Changes for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Out: McVeigh
In: NLM

I think NLM brings some of the physical presence that we lose with McVeigh. He will be an asset on Friday and over the coming weeks.

And for all who are calling for Hurley to come back WTF ?
Has missed 4 weeks. He will need a run with Bendigo to regain his touch to start with and his last coule of games before copping the injury where hardling senior selction quality.
Do some of you F###ers actually put any though and research into your suggested changes :eek:

Hurley was named best player for Bendigo Vs Coburg on May 24... ahead of Prismall, Reimers, Lucas, Skipworth & McVeigh. I didn't see the game, but he did get the votes. LINK

I think that was his last/injury game? His fitness shouldn't be too bad, given it was a wrist, but agree he'll need at least one game with Bendigo.

Maybe becuase Skipworth for a mature recruit has done nothing..a game against Melbourne does not count! I am sure Keplar Bradley would look half less unco against them!

He's been pretty good, IMO. Offers a mature body and head. Regularly chooses the right option. Brings others into the game. His poise, composure and work rate have all been fantastic, and these qualities seem to rub-off on others. Definitely wouldn't be dropping Skipworth.

Lonergan did have his best game for a while last night but he got a lot of junk time possessions which made his performance look a bit better.

McVeigh is ready to step up into the middle and with the performances of Prismall, Hocking, Watson, Welsh there doesn't leave much room for others.

Houli in to take the small forward and release Hocking for more midfield rotations and another possible tagging crack at Judd.

Like I said it's getting pretty tricky to select a side and I'll probably change my mind a few times this week. ;)

Im sorry, did you even watch the game on friday?
Lonergan's first half was one of the main reasons for our control of the game.
You've no idea.

Monfries is invaluable to our structure. When he is played as the lead up forward, dropping McPhee drop in the backline, he is rarely beaten.

Skippy was brilliant also. Neagle doesn't deserve a game at the moment. 2 minutes before the siren he was lining up for a Souvlaki outside the ground.

Maybe becuase Skipworth for a mature recruit has done nothing..a game against Melbourne does not count! I am sure Keplar Bradley would look half less unco against them!

Skippy has been a brilliant acquisition this year. His leadership and presence on and off ground, not to mention at training - something you would know and realise if you payed any attention to things other than stats, which skippy has gotten plenty of anyway.

I am so glad some of you are not on the EFC Match Committee. And never will be.

Hurley, in his second game, to come in and play the biggest game of the year after playing 0 football in the last 5-6 weeks?

Skipworth dropped after having 21 possessions & 2 goals in both his last two games?

Reward Jetta for his mediocre display in his last VFL game against Box Hill we he probably just snuck into double figures possession wise?

Be nice if some of you actually thought before posting this garbage.

Skippy has been a brilliant acquisition this year. His leadership and presence on and off ground, not to mention at training - something you would know and realise if you payed any attention to things other than stats, which skippy has gotten plenty of anyway.

Agreed, Skippy deserves his spot in the team. We need to stabilise the team as much as possible. Only make forced changes.

Agree with Robert Walls in saying that McVeigh is the villain of the week! No need for that at this time of the year.

In: Slattery
Outs: Mcveigh

Knights said that Slatts will return this week.

Mcphee is a maybe with his calf. NLM is his ready replacement
Prizza's ribbs could also keep him off the field. Houli is still recovering from the Virus and probably wont play. Zaha may come into the side to provide run instead.

Pears to play on Fev...

Check out http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6751

Correct me if I'm wrong but at least 2 of Miller's 3 scoring opportunities were from frees against Pears? :confused:

The Dees took 13 marks inside 50 and Bate took the most of any Dee with 3... incidentally that was the most number of marks inside 50 for the game! ;)

I watched the game again to make sure i was not mising anything and i dont care if you think i have a man crush on Hocking as i seriously wonder what the hell you where watching.

Earlier you said Bate beat Hocking in 90% of the contests. Well that is absolute rubbish. There where 9 contested marking situations in the game between Bate and Hocking. Bate marked 4 of them and Hocking spoiled 3 and marked 2. In one of the contests Bate got a handball from a Hocking spoil that went to ground in front.
So it was not anywhere near the 90% figure you mentioned.

There was one other contest and that was when the ball went over their heads. Bate lead the race back but Hocking actually stripped him of the footy and got the ball onto an Essendon team mate.

Overall Bate had two set shots. One in the first quarter and one in the last. Both where from marks wide to half forward. He had no other set shots and kicked goals both times.

As you mentioned Bate took 3 marks inside 50. Two resulted in goals to Bate and the other ended up being a goal from a good pass in the last quarter. He did well with the three marks he took but two where in the last quarter when Essendon had gone back to second gear. On top of that they went to Bate 8 times inside 50 and he only marked 3 of them. Yes he took the most marks inside 50 but taking 3 from 8 is hardly giving Hocking a smashing.

Then you get to Bates overall possessions.
He had 2 in the first for 1 gaol. His total was 1 kick 1 mark and 1 handball.
I missed one possession in the second but of the 6 i wrote down Bate had 4 handballs up near the middle of the ground, 1 handball inside 50 and 1 kick that went to the square and Jurrah kicked his great goal.
Of his 4 handballs in the middle two where turnovers.
The thrid quarter he was quiet which was to be expected given the ball did not see that end much. Bate got one possession when Hocking was down on the ground after the collision in the marking contest and another further up the ground earlier in the quarter.
His last quarter consisted of two marks inside 50 for a goal and a pass that lead to a gaol. Despite Melbourne having a lot of the play during the quarter Bate did not really get into the game.

Hocking did what he had to on Bate. It was only the fact that Bate did not miss on his two scoring opertunities that made his game look even half decent. He played Bate how he was instructed to and came out slightly in front in the contested marking battle.
On top of that he was prepared to run forward and get more possessions than Bate. If you think Hocking was poor then you have NFI.

In: Slattery
Outs: Mcveigh

Knights said that Slatts will return this week.

Mcphee is a maybe with his calf. NLM is his ready replacement
Prizza's ribbs could also keep him off the field. Houli is still recovering from the Virus and probably wont play. Zaha may come into the side to provide run instead.

Pears to play on Fev...

Check out http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6751

The injuries are a bit of a worry. Hopefully Prizza and McPhee will get up.

Hurley was named best player for Bendigo Vs Coburg on May 24... ahead of Prismall, Reimers, Lucas, Skipworth & McVeigh. I didn't see the game, but he did get the votes. LINK

I think that was his last/injury game? His fitness shouldn't be too bad, given it was a wrist, but agree he'll need at least one game with Bendigo.

He's been pretty good, IMO. Offers a mature body and head. Regularly chooses the right option. Brings others into the game. His poise, composure and work rate have all been fantastic, and these qualities seem to rub-off on others. Definitely wouldn't be dropping Skipworth.

And if you belive the best players that are given by Bendigo then you are a fool. Bendigo have a long history of putting young blokes into the best to pump their tyres up. Their best 6 is often nothing like the best 6 on the day.

Have a look at any of the match reports by those who went to the game either here or on BB. He was carved up by Jack Reiwoldt in the first half.
He went forward in the second half and got a few kicks.

These are comments posted by those who where at the game..

drew_j said:
Hurley got beaten by Reiwoldt in the first half and then moved forward and got in it a bit in the 3rd. I wouldn't have put him in our best though

ant555 said:
No way Hurley was B.O.G. He got pantsed by Riewoldt in the first half. He was ok in the forward line after half time.
Never trust the Bendigo best players list. It rarely reflects what actually happened on the day.

ant555 said:
Hurley The fact that he was named best shows how much of a joke the Bendigo best 6 is. Riewoldt beat him in the first half and when he was not on Riewodlt he struggled with Cleave Hughs. Nothing seemed to go right for him . Moved forward after half time and after a slow start he found his way a bit and took some good marks and kicked a goal. His second half was mutch better but overall he had a dirty day.

From Pazza on BB

Quote:
Okay.

33 pts down @ halftime.

Laycock looking good in the ruck but not getting much help.

Prismall, Reimers and Skipworth ok in patches.

Daniher at half forward - Hurley being beaten by Riewoldt.

Spike, Myers, Atkinson and Nash patchy - Scotty has hardly seen it.

Could be a wet second half

Little Birdy said:
On your other comment regarding Hurley not being the best player on the day, I have to agree in so far as the Bendigo games that I have seen when I come to Melbourne, the best player list is a precursor to players that are intended to be elevated for a senior game the next week, regardless of whether they were the best players or not.

The Essendon website tends to hype up the publicity around players coming back into the senior side whether they have been best on ground or not in the magoos.

In: Hurley (there is a matchup this week on Fev), Houli

Out: Skipworth, McVeigh

Please explain how Hurley is good match-up for Fev, even without considering his lack of match fitness.

Im certain the things like providing blocks for leading forwards, sheperds, stopping players from running on after they given a possesion, even getting to crumbing positions better than our true small forwards doesnt mean much to a flog like yourself but the coaching staff and selection comittee must be taking note. His stats would also be higher than few others in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After a bit of reflection I think we should go with..

Outs: McVeigh, Skipworth
Ins: Slattery, NLM.

Slatts to play the lockdown role down back and release Hocking into the middle on Judd again.

NLM is a better footballer than Skipworth and he's got that ability to go postal and kill someone. I like that.

I'd like to have Jetta in but with Davey, Reimers and NLM roaming forward I think we'd be ok.

Nathan Lovett Murray let himself, club and team down with his stupid 3 week suspension. Theres no way he should come straight in and should be in the VFL to prove his spot after that stupid incident

You could of just said 'Don't trust the Bendigos best' and saved yourself 10 mins.

Yeh I reckon! What's up with that Ant? Didn't think you needed to go that far.
I'm guessing you were still on a high/worked up after posting your rebuttle to The Donners? (which I thought was spot on!, Hocking was great against Bate)...FandangoDingo will probably feel like a sack of bricks has fallen on their head after reading your reply! :p

The problem is that posters dont read enough threads on BF.

It was very clearly stated in the Bendigo report from 24/05 ( from 3 0r 4 people who attended the game - that Hurley had an average game.

I understand when informed posters are frustrated by other posters lack of attention to detail.

Its like the final training session before a game - Only the 25 players listed in the team train together - But posters ask why only half the list attended training.

I dont understand the debate about Hocking's performance against Bate.

Melbourne's two most impressive players in the last month - Bate and Sylvia were were held by their opponents.

Nathan Lovett Murray let himself, club and team down with his stupid 3 week suspension. Theres no way he should come straight in and should be in the VFL to prove his spot after that stupid incident

Intersting that the game turned in our favour after he floored that tosser isn't it?

I dont understand the debate about Hocking's performance against Bate.

Melbourne's two most impressive players in the last month - Bate and Sylvia were were held by their opponents.

At the start of the game i said to my mate "Hocking on Bate wtf?!"

By the end of the game i said "Geez Hocking has impressed me today".

skippy shouldn't go out he suits the running so well cos when he takes a mark first thing he does is look for runners... lovett, davey and the other speedstars feed off him...

OUT - McVeigh
In - Slattery (not sure if lovett - murray should come straight back in after the brain fade debacle.)

In: Houli

Houli wont play. Has not trained since his virus started effecting him.

At this stage it looks like it will be
In: Slattery.

NLM looks to be the only possability. Unless there are any injuries or any more flu victoms then it will be one change only.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back