Changes for R2

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure Sinn was being held back for a R2 debut- too tough a gig first up at Brisbane. He will come in for one of the injured players. Skinner has to replace Aliir. The rest just depends on who gets up and who doesn’t out of Gray, Duursma, Rozee and McKenzie. We don’t need to send Finlayson or Marshall back. Skinner, Jonas and Burton or McKenzie can handle Gunston, Lewis and the resting ruck or third tall.
So…

In- Sinn, Skinner
Out- Aliir & ??? (both injured)

Maybe just have Duursma, McKenzie and Gray all as emergencies without playing SANFL. Don't really want to take unnecessary risks on them, but at the same time, I don't want mass players that are fit (eg Mayes, Hayes, Skinner, Sinn) just taking a week off and not playing footy at any level.

If Robbie doesn’t get up I’d replace him with Mayes.

Skinner for Allir the no brainer.

Sinn for Duursma if he doesn’t get up.

McKenzie out would require a reshuffle as we can’t replace him like for like. But I’d bring in Motlop.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In: Skinner, Mayes, Sinn
Out: Aliir, Gray, McKenzie

Give McKenzie and Gray a week to recover, should be able to play Burton/Jones as third tall for the week until McKenzie comes back. Skinner and Mayes straight swap for Aliir and Gray, while Sinn comes into bring that extra run off half back.
If Duursma doesn’t get up bring in Motlop, Bergman or Frederick but would prefer to give Bergman a week of SANFL before coming back in.

Bassett seemed to indicate that Burton or Jones could play talls and in theory (without looking at Hawthorns forward set up yet) I’m probably ok with it. Maybe try Jones first and keen Burton for Wingard.

Alternatively if we move one of Finlayson or Marshall back then I’d play Hayes and Lycett together and they can at least try to be a worse version of Dixon. That way we’re playing the same (yes crappy) method of entering 50 and bringing the ball to ground. If anyone can be a chunky boi who drops marks it’s Lycett.

If Port want to develop a pressure small forward they could do worse than Frederick. He has the discipline to play tight footy on a rebound defender and the pace to make them nervous going the other way.

Send marshal to CHB, might be the making of him
I'm an advocate of this. I'm yet to be convinced after a long period that Marshall will make it as KPF.

Can see him playing a similar role to Burton where he can play on a variety of oppo forwards.

I'd still pick Skinner first to replace Aliir but if McKenzie doesn't get up then I'd swing Marshall back bringing in Motlop into the 22. Doesn't sound like Dixon is ready and though I really like Lord I'm not sure he's done enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m really not sure about Duursma as best 22. His strength is his running capacity but if Houston and Amon are #1 wing choices and if Sinn proves to be as damaging as he looks to be once he gets up to speed, where does that leave Xavier?

Fighting it out with Bergman as a depth hard runner?
Teams pick more than two wingers.

Why do you think there seems to be 20 odd players around the ball now?

Amon and Houston might start on the wings, but a bunch of flanker half back / half forward positions are basically wingers now and assigned to push between the arcs and become extra mids.

It’s entirely possible to run all three wingmen in the first 18.

Bergman is a utility who can play anywhere. Back, forward, wing, on ball. Name him on the bench and put him wherever we need. He should take meads spot once he’s fit.
If Port want to develop a pressure small forward they could do worse than Frederick. He has the discipline to play tight footy on a rebound defender and the pace to make them nervous going the other way.
Yeah I’ve voiced the same opinion. We should have tried this during the preseason.

He’s way too far back in the running defender stakes to get meaningful games..

We have a massive hole in small forward depth

His twin brother is using a very similar skill set to play a role we need successfully

The only thing I don’t like is his complete lack of overhead presence but he’s worth trying anyway.

Pettigrew was pretty good for a season or two, lol

I don't think he ever had a position.

But I've seen us turn Max James, Greg Phillips, Ivan Eckermann, Trevor Sorrell, Greg Boyd, Paul Rizonico, Richard Foster, Ben Harris, Roger Delaney, George Fiacchi, even Mark Tylor into premiership defenders. Chad Cornes our most famous switch of position in the AFL.

Of course the Magpie players were all John Cahill's doing ;)

Sammy Hayes must come in this week, probably in tandem with Lycett who must be on notice, Georgi, Hayes, Finlayson forward - Want to see what everyones banging on about with Skinner, seems to be a very similar player to Alliir, next two games with young forwards are a perfect platform to introduce such a player.

If McKenzie isnt fit then Marshall to go back

I don't think he ever had a position.

But I've seen us turn Max James, Greg Phillips, Ivan Eckermann, Trevor Sorrell, Greg Boyd, Paul Rizonico, Richard Foster, Ben Harris, Roger Delaney, George Fiacchi, even Mark Tylor into premiership defenders. Chad Cornes our most famous switch of position in the AFL.

Of course the Magpie players were all John Cahill's doing ;)
Didn’t John Cahill also turn a CHB to one of the greatest Full Forwards we had. Tim Evans.

I'm expecting us to experiment with 4 tall forwards and an undersized backline this week.

One of the forwards could be Hayes.

This would allow us to see how the 4 talls or the 2nd ruck goes, see how Burton and Jones go as 3rd talls and if things are going pear shaped we can still throw Finlayson or Marshall back (or sub one off).

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for R2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back