Preview Changes for Round 18 v Fremantle (The Derby)

Remove this Banner Ad

Masten into the middle.

i would like masten and swift in middle.I thought Swift Was good on Saturday. The trouble was he played full back and half back. He was not in middle . the guys he was on did not get one touch., he got 24,.Sure he got Caught in a one arm tackle but so does every player, He positioned well and read the play. Solid not soeckie but i believe he has been quite sick and lost weight ,

Swift is one of our bigger butchers atm. Why anyone wants him in is beyond me. We lacked run badly on Saturday so lets bring some in

IN: Houlihan, Neates
OUT: Hams, Lynch

Play a small forward line like

Embley Kennedy Strjik
Neates LeCras Ebert

Fremantle dont have the best small defenders and I think we need to get some pace into our team in general. If we need a tall forward just switch Brown at FF or put Naita in the square.

Message to who ? Swift doesnt train with Claremont so McPhee has no input into his training. I took McPhee's comments as a criticisim of WC rather than a shot at Swift.

WC supporters for some time have bemoaned the skill levels at WC and I see Swift as being another in a long line of players who have gone backwards since they entered the AFL system at Subi oval.

In fact can you or anybody tell me a player who has been drafted by WC in the last 5-6 years who has actually improved their kicking skills ? Naitanui is one, but in reality he was coming from a pretty poor base and I guess you could name Rosa. AFAIC Brown's gone backwards as has Masten and Mckinley. As a colts player Mackenzie was a far better kick of the ball and made far better decisions than he does now. There are numerous others like Ebert who simply havent improved.

I am now of the belief that WC have drafted correctly, but there is a problem in their system that simply doesnt bring out the player's ability.

Interesting post.

There has been alot of talk around lately about how we aren't spending as much time as we should into the development side of things but rather we are focusing more on the game plan (through match simulation drills) during training along with skills training.

This would explain why certain players are going backwards at a rapid rate. If this is the case, then it's not acceptable at a club such as ours where we aim to be the best in all aspects.

Swift is one of our bigger butchers atm. Why anyone wants him in is beyond me. We lacked run badly on Saturday so lets bring some in

IN: Houlihan, Neates
OUT: Hams, Lynch

Play a small forward line like

Embley Kennedy Strjik
Neates LeCras Ebert

Fremantle dont have the best small defenders and I think we need to get some pace into our team in general. If we need a tall forward just switch Brown at FF or put Naita in the square.

I'd also like Neates in, doubt it will happen, but he could easily handle 60% game time in the F50.

W Schofield E Mackensie A Smith
B Waters M Brown S Hurn
B Sheppard M Priddis M Rosa
JON J Kennedy C Masten
M Lecras B Mckinley A Strijk

N Natanui B Ebert S Selwood

A Embley L Stevenson T Swift Q Lynch

So.......

Out : D. Cox, A. Selwood(INJ), A. Hams(SUSP)

Ins : JON, B Mckinley, T. Swift (Not in form but we need more run)

Lynch to play forward and ruck, Coxy is just not trying hard enough(if you make yourself available and cross the white line you cant use the excuse of not being fit or carrinng an injury.

Swift in to add extra run, dont like to reward poor form, but we go in every week a mid short and wonder why we get over run in the second half...

Interesting post.

There has been alot of talk around lately about how we aren't spending as much time as we should into the development side of things but rather we are focusing more on the game plan (through match simulation drills) during training along with skills training.

This would explain why certain players are going backwards at a rapid rate. If this is the case, then it's not acceptable at a club such as ours where we aim to be the best in all aspects.

Wouldn't surprise me judging by the performances this year. Seems being in the rehab group is the only way you get some tuition, away from being instantly put into the main group.

Wonder how Collingwood develop their youngsters....They're always ready and capable, almost from the get go.

Drafting is fine, what we do with them when they get here obviously isn't....imo.

Agree with the general post Bond, but partly agree with the final paragraph. Some players, for whatever reason, just develop at different rates.

Look at the real project players, Swift, Notte and JON. JON seems to have come along in leaps and bounds late this season, whilst Notte and Swift, both of whom I have no doubt have the talent, both seem to have gone backwards. But, I know they have been getting Notte to focus on his defensive side of the game and I presume Swift is being asked to focus on some aspect as well. This can mean they focus on this one facet to the detriment of the attacking or other facets of their game.

Just a theory I have, but when it all clicks then you have the player in front of you that you think you could see when first drafted.

Swannies whilst I understand the gist of your argument, I struggle to comprehend how you can argue the development of certain skills are to the detriment of the basic skill of kicking. Surely that is something that remains at worst a constant as the player develops.

I accept that disposal skills are a combination of inate learned ability as well as time and space allowed on a field, but how can it be that Swift's kicking is actually worse now than it was in 2008 ? As I said I watched him carefully on Sat and he was in the most cases woeful.

I believe he always had the ability to read the play and he has certainly learned how to better position himself in a contest and his pace away from a contest has greatly improved, but how can all this have come at the cost of his kicking ?

Furthermore if it was just Swift I could put it down to individual player develoment, but its not just him. As I stated earlier I believe Mackenzie has gone backwards as well as Brown, Masten and Lynch, whilst there has been little to no improvement in Ebert and both Selwoods

To me there is something missing at WC to allow these problems to occur in such numbers.

I accept that disposal skills are a combination of inate learned ability as well as time and space allowed on a field, but how can it be that Swift's kicking is actually worse now than it was in 2008 ? As I said I watched him carefully on Sat and he was in the most cases woeful.

Bond - prior to being drafted - he hadn't played footy for 2 years - so unless we're comparing to his u/16 days - i'm not sure that's valid.

His first few games in '09 he duffed some kicks horribly - barely making contact - but by the end of the season it had improved considerably.

There's little doubt he's gone backwards from last year - but not sure how we can compare from earlier years when he wasn't on the park.

On the players kicking, I do know that have tinkered with some of the young players actions in the past but no idea if they mucked around with Swift's.
I dont think they do it too much any more because it basicaly makes them worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bond - prior to being drafted - he hadn't played footy for 2 years - so unless we're comparing to his u/16 days - i'm not sure that's valid.

His first few games in '09 he duffed some kicks horribly - barely making contact - but by the end of the season it had improved considerably.

There's little doubt he's gone backwards from last year - but not sure how we can compare from earlier years when he wasn't on the park.

I was aware of Swift as a youngster (14 - 16 yrs old) and whilst his kicking was never elite it was certainly not substandard as it is now. There is no doubt that Swift's kicking in 2010 is far below the level he was operating at when he was a highly regarded teenager. Certainly excuses can be made for last year given his 2 year hiatus but even you agree he's gone backwards this year. So how can that happen ?

I understand the pace of the game is completely different, but I was talking about a WAFL game.

FS - everybody who watches WAFL footy even if they dont know names, can pick out the footballers who have an AFL background. They seem to have more time, make better decisions, are generally better disposers of the ball, are better marks etc. Swift showed all that until he disposed of the ball and its not the first time this year, wheres Brett Jones was clean, precise and everything you expect.

Disposal in general and kicking in particular has been a problem for WC for the last 3 years. Despite everyone and sundry being aware of it, there seems to be little done to correct this at WC - Why ?

If Hams is suspended this week as is likely then IMO Brett Jones will be brought in as he was the standount performer in the WAFL. This board will then go into meltdown saying its ridiculous that an older player with little future (Jones) is holding up the development of a young player (Swift) when in fact WC have little choice but to select Jones.

The development (or lack of) the youngsters at WC is delaying their movement up the ladder. The continual playing of a Brett Jones ahead of a Tom Swift is counterproductive to their next tilt, but as all are aware this development is just not occuring. Once again I ask why ?

I was aware of Swift as a youngster (14 - 16 yrs old) and whilst his kicking was never elite it was certainly not substandard as it is now. There is no doubt that Swift's kicking in 2010 is far below the level he was operating at when he was a highly regarded teenager. Certainly excuses can be made for last year given his 2 year hiatus but even you agree he's gone backwards this year. So how can that happen ?

I understand the pace of the game is completely different, but I was talking about a WAFL game.

Fair enough - i've never seen him play prior to the eagles - so i couldn't compare. He's clearly gone backwards this year, from his finish to last year - but i stilll think he's ahead of where he was in his first couple of games last year.

I'm with you on Bones - has to come in.

Gotta give some of the untried players a go

Oakley-Nicholls has to play, I know apparantly his form has been bad in the WAFL but Houlihan should come in too

We are going to get pumped anyway, better to experiment with unknown quantities rather than play spuds like Jones and McGinnity who shouldn't feature in our future plans

Fair enough - i've never seen him play prior to the eagles - so i couldn't compare. He's clearly gone backwards this year, from his finish to last year - but i stilll think he's ahead of where he was in his first couple of games last year.

I'm with you on Bones - has to come in.

The big hole WC have dug for themselves has come about through their draft selections. By definition inside footballers are usually not elite disposers of the ball - they dont have to be - they just need to win the ball and distribute it. On the other hand outside footballers have to rely on either speed and/or disposal skills to get a game

Apart from Smith and Shephard, WC have not drafted an outside player in the last 3 years. In that time they have taken Masten, Ebert, Selwood, McGinnity, Shuey, Swift and Stevens who are all inside players with only Shuey showing a modicom of kicking talent. Added to that is the rookie selection of Cockie together with the already listed Kerr, Selwood Snr and Priddis and there is no wonder WC are where they are.

Worsfold and his assistants are under pressure to win games which is why they then resort to picking players like Jones which everyone knows is couterproductive to the future of the development of the club.

The quicksand gets deeper.

[/b]

Worsfold and his assistants are under pressure to win games which is why they then resort to picking players like Jones which everyone knows is couterproductive to the future of the development of the club.

Not so sure it is - if there's no one else to come in - how can it be counter productive?

Clearly Jones is a last resort - but if it means we can push someone like Sheppard further up the ground - than I don't see that as counter-productive at all.

If Swift or Stevens were fit and pushing for selection - sure bring them in - and by all reports - that's the message that has been given to Jones - but when no one is pushing for selection - I don't see the issue.

If he deserves to be dropped to the ressies - so be it.
Exactly.
[/b]

The big hole WC have dug for themselves has come about through their draft selections. By definition inside footballers are usually not elite disposers of the ball - they dont have to be - they just need to win the ball and distribute it. On the other hand outside footballers have to rely on either speed and/or disposal skills to get a game

Apart from Smith and Shephard, WC have not drafted an outside player in the last 3 years. In that time they have taken Masten, Ebert, Selwood, McGinnity, Shuey, Swift and Stevens who are all inside players with only Shuey showing a modicom of kicking talent. Added to that is the rookie selection of Cockie together with the already listed Kerr, Selwood Snr and Priddis and there is no wonder WC are where they are.

The quicksand gets deeper.
Both were drafted as Half Back Flankers. Not outside mids.

Sheppard has Speed thou and the ability to play as a Wingman/outside mid.
Smith has Speed but does not have the ability to play this role.

I think the recruiting staff would have said last year and the year before for that matter that with guys like- Rosa, Embley, Houlihan, Stevenson, Spangher, Schofield and Hurn who all play that run and carry game, that we would have enough players to cover some injury's. Boy were they wrong. I think if you look at the players drafted in 2007 Masten was probably the biggest mistake we made. The players who came after Scooter and Notte haven't really excelled and if you look at it they were long term development projects.
2008- I dont think we could have drafted better.(Naita, Shuey, Swift)
2009- We all were saying get Lewis Jetta but right now I would prefur Brad Sheppard. And Stevens will be a Jet no doubt about it.

I have been watching alot of the old classics on 72 at night and 1 glaring thing keeps shining through, All the Stars that are running around NOW were very ordinary when they were young and Rookies.
Guys I noticed who would be classed as Stars- James Hird, Mathew Lloyd, Heath Scotland, Fevola, Lenny Hayes, Matt Pavlich, Adam Goodes, Barry Hall, Garry Ablett jr, Paul Chapman, Cam Mooney, Tom Harley, Chad Cornes, Shaun Burgoyne, Shane Crawford etc etc etc the list goes on. Most of them did 1 or 2 really good things during games but never had any impact on any game, It was players like Gregg Williams, Libba, Cris Grant, Luke Darcy, Mil Hanna, Kernahan, Silvagni, Billy Brownless, Garry Ablett Snr, Garry Hocking, Paul Salmon.

Even look at our team 1991, we looked pretty good but it wasnt till the players had developed more muscle and Experiance that we got up for our first Premiership.
Matera, Woosha, Langdon, Sumich, MacIntosh, Jakovic, McKenna all were just a touch too young and Green to really be playing in that 91 GF. But in 92 they were ready. 22 more games each thats all it took, and this group will be no different. It may be 22 games or 44 more games but they will improve and they will be dominant again, I am just as sure on this and I am in the Fact that after we become dominant we will again have a Slump. Its the nateral progression of things, It happend to us, Port, Brisbane, Sydney and it will happen to Geelong and Stkilda.
Remember most of Stkildas and Cats senior players were drafted between 2000 and 2002.
it took them 1 more year then it did us to win their Flag and Saints still havnt got 1 yet.

Patiants thats what it will take.:cool::thumbsu:

Dont think we have a rookie spot left...

Daniel Kerr out for the season, dont think anyones come in for him yet,

Shuey is on test so hopefully the slightest bit chance he might play but will probably play for the royals this week.

We also are wearing the white clash guernsey for this weeks game.

No idea why there is so much negativity this week. Dominated the first half against Carlton, and have a realistic chance against freo this week, who are in absolutely terrible form, the way theyre playing theyd be lucky to be a top 8 side.

Anyway, hopefully selwood, strijk and sheppard overcome there injuries, so we'll only have to make one change this week, with Hams a definite out due to suspension.

OUT: Hams
IN: Neates

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes for Round 18 v Fremantle (The Derby)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back