Preview Changes for Round 18 v Fremantle (The Derby)

Remove this Banner Ad

Glass
Nicoski
Dalziell
Kerr
J.Jones

are all the players currently on the LTI list.

We have Hams, Strijk, Stevenson, Wilson all currently elevated as well as Sullivan as the preseason rookie upgraded. Also 1 player, not sure who was the Round 11 elevation. We have plenty of rookie spots left. By plenty, I mean 2. But Jones looks set to come back before the end of the year, so that means whichever rookie was linked to him needs to be allocated to another player, so we can only add 1 more.

Daniel Kerr out for the season, dont think anyones come in for him yet,

Shuey is on test so hopefully the slightest bit chance he might play but will probably play for the royals this week.

We also are wearing the white clash guernsey for this weeks game.

Woosha said on PR tonight that Shuey most likely to play three weeks at EP followed by two with West Coast !

Good news and good for EP and WCE supporters to see him play three games at the WAFL .

I thought Hams might miss one but 4 what a ****ing joke the MRP is. Hams has shown so much more than McGinnity has already in his short career. With Adam Selwood missing and Sheppard likely to miss as well we should throw a bone to Jarrad Oakley-Nichols and some other new faces.

Hams is 3 years older..... Of course he will show more and I dont really think McGinnity has shown that little.

3 years in all of our current draftees will make a massive difference.

Exactly.

Both were drafted as Half Back Flankers. Not outside mids.

Sheppard has Speed thou and the ability to play as a Wingman/outside mid.
Smith has Speed but does not have the ability to play this role.

I think the recruiting staff would have said last year and the year before for that matter that with guys like- Rosa, Embley, Houlihan, Stevenson, Spangher, Schofield and Hurn who all play that run and carry game, that we would have enough players to cover some injury's. Boy were they wrong. I think if you look at the players drafted in 2007 Masten was probably the biggest mistake we made. The players who came after Scooter and Notte haven't really excelled and if you look at it they were long term development projects.
2008- I dont think we could have drafted better.(Naita, Shuey, Swift)
2009- We all were saying get Lewis Jetta but right now I would prefur Brad Sheppard. And Stevens will be a Jet no doubt about it.

I have been watching alot of the old classics on 72 at night and 1 glaring thing keeps shining through, All the Stars that are running around NOW were very ordinary when they were young and Rookies.
Guys I noticed who would be classed as Stars- James Hird, Mathew Lloyd, Heath Scotland, Fevola, Lenny Hayes, Matt Pavlich, Adam Goodes, Barry Hall, Garry Ablett jr, Paul Chapman, Cam Mooney, Tom Harley, Chad Cornes, Shaun Burgoyne, Shane Crawford etc etc etc the list goes on. Most of them did 1 or 2 really good things during games but never had any impact on any game, It was players like Gregg Williams, Libba, Cris Grant, Luke Darcy, Mil Hanna, Kernahan, Silvagni, Billy Brownless, Garry Ablett Snr, Garry Hocking, Paul Salmon.

Even look at our team 1991, we looked pretty good but it wasnt till the players had developed more muscle and Experiance that we got up for our first Premiership.
Matera, Woosha, Langdon, Sumich, MacIntosh, Jakovic, McKenna all were just a touch too young and Green to really be playing in that 91 GF. But in 92 they were ready. 22 more games each thats all it took, and this group will be no different. It may be 22 games or 44 more games but they will improve and they will be dominant again, I am just as sure on this and I am in the Fact that after we become dominant we will again have a Slump. Its the nateral progression of things, It happend to us, Port, Brisbane, Sydney and it will happen to Geelong and Stkilda.
Remember most of Stkildas and Cats senior players were drafted between 2000 and 2002.
it took them 1 more year then it did us to win their Flag and Saints still havnt got 1 yet.

Patiants thats what it will take.:cool::thumbsu:

100% Agree 'PATIANTS'...we have committed to rebuild through the draft and picked a heap a inside/dependable players and now be prepared to think a little outside the box chasing the x factor players with a bit a flair.

West Coast
B:
Will Schofield, Eric Mackenzie, Brett Jones
HB: Beau Waters, Mitch Brown, Ash Smith
C: Matt Rosa, Shannon Hurn, Andrew Embley
HF: Andrew Strijk, Josh Kennedy, Brad Ebert
F: Dean Cox, Quinten Lynch, Mark LeCras
Foll: Nic Naitanui, Matt Priddis, Chris Masten
INT: Scott Selwood, Lewis Stevenson,Tim Houlihan, Tom Swift

EMG: Callum Wilson,Pat McGinnity - running out of fit players

IN - Brett Jones, Tim Houlihan, Tom Swift
Out - Brad Sheppard,Ashton Hams,Adam Selwood

Hurn / Leca for a run in the middle

I really want to see Lynch out for Wilson. Lynch is a complete waste of space as a forward. Messes up Kennedy's game by taking over CHF, and couldn't kick a goal to save his life. What's the point of continuing with him? I think Wilson deserves a chance and he can mark and kick a goal and play like a stay at home FF. He might offer something, Lynch definitely won't. I would also like to see JON on a HFF for Hams, and Houlihan included, this waiting for dozens of matches to pay your dues is tedious and counter-productive. Doesn't sound like Swift warrants promotion based on reports of his WAFL form. Time to try things out, the season's a train wreck, find some positives for next year.

sheppard has had a lean few weeks but i dont see the point in dropping him, personally i'd rather see him pushed up into the midfield.

Out - A.Selwood (Inj), Hams (Susp)

i'd like to see Houlihan brought in for the last part of the season, he runs at crazy subtle angles. will drive them crazy.

i'd bring Bones back in, which would allow Shep to shift into the middle. put Waters on HF in Hams' role.

In - Tim 'CSA' Houlihan, Bones

West Coast
B: Schofield, Mackenzie, Jones
HB: Hurn, Brown, Smith
C: Rosa, Masten, Sheppard
HF: Strijk, Kennedy, Waters
F: Embley, Lynch, LeCras
Foll: Naitanui, Priddis, S.Selwood
INT: Stevenson, Cox, Houlihan, Ebert

something along those lines, the backline and forward line look solid enough. midfield needs a bit of work, weavers and dodgers are lacking...which is why i think we should put shep and houli in there. weaving and dodging is their business.

I really want to see Lynch out for Wilson. Lynch is a complete waste of space as a forward. Messes up Kennedy's game by taking over CHF, and couldn't kick a goal to save his life. What's the point of continuing with him? I think Wilson deserves a chance and he can mark and kick a goal and play like a stay at home FF. He might offer something, Lynch definitely won't.

Agree completely. I think regardless of whether or not Lynch chases hard (see debate a few pages back in this thread), the fact of the matter is that he doesn't provide enough defensive pressure. For all the criticism McKinley gets, he would at least be an improvement in this area, and would arguably impact the scoreboard more than Lynch has lately too.

Alternatively, if Woosh doesn't want to use McKinley as a FF (which seems to be the case), then he must surely give a Wilson a go to see if he offers anything more. Its been said to death on these boards, but he's in the last year of rookie eligibility so surely we need to give him one last chance to showcase his ability.

Those putting Sheppard in the outs are assuming he's injured - there was a suggestion of a shoulder injury earlier.

Probably my second crack at this already, never mind:

B: Schofield, Mackenzie, McGinnity
HB: Hurn, Brown, Waters
C: Rosa, Priddis, Stevenson
HF: Embley, Kennedy, Ebert
F: LeCras, Wilson, Strijk
R: Naitanui, Masten, S.Selwood
I: Cox, Sheppard, Houlihan, Smith
E: Lynch, Swift, Oakley-Nicholls

In: Houlihan, McGinnity, Wilson
Out: Hams (susp), A.Selwood (inj), Lynch

McGinnity to come in for Selwood, and match up on Ballantyne. We need a small lock-down defender and he's the best we've got. Carlton's three musketeers tore up Sheppard, Hurn, Smith and Stevenson, none of whom are great defensively.

Houlihan to get a run thanks to Hams' bullshit suspension.

Wilson to get a crack at FF. Lynch hasn't been kicking goals and Kennedy seems to be having less impact with him in the team. Wouldn't be averse to McKinley having a shot instead.

Theres 2 spots available the week and not many players to fill them

McKinley, Jones, Swift, Mcginnity, Houlihan are most probable to come in. With JON, Neates, Wilson and Wilkes chances

Mckinley should come in for Hams and Houlihan for Selwood. JON needs another 2 really good games to push for selection, Swift Id leave in the WAFL till years end, body seems to be really sore, match comitee , Neates need more experince, Wilson/Wilkes will come in if Lynch is dropped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ash Smith has drawn the short one , has to play on Ballantyne :eek:

Pretty unflappable though so might not worry him too much and sounds confident when imterviewed today !

It's true...he can't be flapped.

Dr. Kevin Casey...Dr. Kevin Casey...Dr. Kevin Casey...

McKinley, Jones, Swift, Mcginnity, Houlihan are most probable to come in. With JON, Neates, Wilson and Wilkes chances

Mckinley should come in for Hams and Houlihan for Selwood. JON needs another 2 really good games to push for selection, Swift Id leave in the WAFL till years end, body seems to be really sore, match comitee , Neates need more experince, Wilson/Wilkes will come in if Lynch is dropped

Swift should play he's the only player we've got that's fit and somewhat injury free that can play as an offensive mid. His body maybe really sore but so will a lot of other players bodies. This is a Derby, a game any footballer would give their left nut to play in, and I'm sure that at the end game if he's singing the Eagles song, that sore body will be worth it.
He's got the ability to break packs and be creative - a rare commodity in our team. Sure he does get caught every now and again, but a least he has a crack.

Interesting post.

There has been alot of talk around lately about how we aren't spending as much time as we should into the development side of things but rather we are focusing more on the game plan (through match simulation drills) during training along with skills training.

This would explain why certain players are going backwards at a rapid rate. If this is the case, then it's not acceptable at a club such as ours where we aim to be the best in all aspects.

Good observation Crimson

It's called the Game Skills approach and is the current thing to do in coaching. Origins in the UK about 15yrs ago and has been used in schools to a fair degree. Since then major sporting affiliations around the world have been adapting and using this approach.
It also has been getting a guernsey in Australia in other sporting codes. guys like Charlesworth are big advocate.

Specifically it is being used in the AFL. One of the leading exponents is a guy called David Wheadon who is the skills and development caoch at Geelong. If you ever want to caoch AFL then Davids coaching manuals are an absolute must have.
AFL teams such as Geelong train under match day training and simulations trying to hone up decision making skills with skill execution. We often see modern day players kicking around corners, using sides of their boots, incorporating different skills(soccering for example) to execute a delivery to advantage.
This style is the cutting edge method of training and takes time to develop. It's obviously a lot more in depth that what i can say in this small passage or even eloquently get the message across as my english skills are just not that good.

Mckinley should come in for Hams
and Houlihan for Selwood. JON needs another 2 really good games to push for selection, Swift Id leave in the WAFL till years end, body seems to be really sore, match comitee , Neates need more experince, Wilson/Wilkes will come in if Lynch is dropped

Bad, bad, bad!

We have been doing better lately because we have had much more frontal pressure. If they go back to the tall forward line this week then the coaching panel is a joke.

If you want to bring in Mckinley or Wilson it has to be at the expense of Lynch.

Out: A Selwood, A Hams
In: Swift, Houlihan

Knowing the coaching panel it will be more like Jones and Mcginnity in, one step forward, two back as usual...

Good observation Crimson

It's called the Game Skills approach and is the current thing to do in coaching. Origins in the UK about 15yrs ago and has been used in schools to a fair degree. Since then major sporting affiliations around the world have been adapting and using this approach.
It also has been getting a guernsey in Australia in other sporting codes. guys like Charlesworth are big advocate.

Specifically it is being used in the AFL. One of the leading exponents is a guy called David Wheadon who is the skills and development caoch at Geelong. If you ever want to caoch AFL then Davids coaching manuals are an absolute must have.
AFL teams such as Geelong train under match day training and simulations trying to hone up decision making skills with skill execution. We often see modern day players kicking around corners, using sides of their boots, incorporating different skills(soccering for example) to execute a delivery to advantage.
This style is the cutting edge method of training and takes time to develop. It's obviously a lot more in depth that what i can say in this small passage or even eloquently get the message across as my english skills are just not that good.

Gotta Cold. Stuffed up. It's called a Game Sense not Game Skills:D

Good observation Crimson

couple of books by David
Drills and skills in Australian rules football 4 copies, 1 review
Tactics in modern football 1 copy, 1 review

I think its the second one - well got a higher review

explaining Game sense
http://www.activehealth.uow.edu.au/gamesense/index.html

A Selwood listed as a 1-2 week injury - AC joint again:eek:

Hams suspended.

Shepherd - shoulder????

McGinnity is a sure thing if both Selwood and Shepherd are out.

McGinnity in for Shepherd

Swift in for Selwood.

JON in for Hams:confused::cool:

Of will Jones get a call up, or maybe we should try and stretch Freo by bring in another tall in Wilson.:mad::mad::thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes for Round 18 v Fremantle (The Derby)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back