Changes for Round 6 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Please no.

Swift is an inside midfielder, you have him on the wing.
Selwood is an inside midfielder/tagger, you have him on the wing.
McGinnity is a tagger, you have him on the ball.

How about for the moment we go with something like...

C: Ebert Priddis Rosa
Foll: Naitanui, Masten, Swift

On 2010 form Rosa is our best wingman, so he should stay there.

We have LeCras up our sleeve for someone with skills. We have Hurn and Waters up our sleeve for someone with grunt. We still have Selwood and McGinnity up our sleeve for lock-down roles. How about we put Selwood at half forward, a guy who is 6'2'' and a reasonable overhead mark that has successfully played defensive roles is surely a better option than Masten.

We need someone to mind Hill on the wing > Dalziell / A Selwood? Selwood can swap with McGinnity in the back pocket who is minding Ballantyne.

Someone has to stop Barlow racking up another 30+ possies, again one of A Selwood / Dalziell, who ever isn't taking the tag on Hill.

Sheppard and Stevens should be in this week for mine. Out, Spangher and Embely.

Brown goes back or even onto a HFF playing down the wing / HBF maybe.

B Jones has a decent couple of matchups this week on Mayne and Fyfe, both mid sized marking forwards.

Waters to play HF with Sheppard to take his HBF.

Glass takes Sandilands / resting ruck and Pav when he plays FF.

Schofield takes Johnson.

Who are you guys applying the semi-tag to this week?

If we play like we did last night you will probably roll us this weekend. Shocking performance all round.
You don't really have a Brent Harvey to semi-tag ;)

You don't really have a Brent Harvey to semi-tag ;)

... or a Ryan O'Keefe .....
:eek:

I suggest we might just let Hill run around on his own ... a tactical decision based on the fact that we have noone fast enough to tag him anyway, so why bother .... basically the same approach we took with Harvey (too elusive) and O'Keefe (too fit) ...

Its a new tactic... :p

... or a Ryan O'Keefe .....
:eek:

I suggest we might just let Hill run around on his own ... a tactical decision based on the fact that we have noone fast enough to tag him anyway, so why bother .... basically the same approach we took with Harvey (too elusive) and O'Keefe (too fit) ...

Its a new tactic... :p

Genius :D

We need to show these blokes some respect. People like Hill, Barlow, Ballantyne do need to have special, close attention. I Imagine Rosa and Hill would probably hit it out on the wing - Rosa needs to hurt Hill going the other way which he can do.

One of our short people in Hams or McGinnity to go to Ballantyne, I reckon Selwood (either of them) for Barlow with special instructions to pin arms - the bloke is awesome at getting tackled but keeping arms raised to dish out an effective handball.

I have a feeling there are going to be some very dissapointed posters come sun arvo when we watch the game and realise Woosh implements the zone defence which is designed to guard space and force turnovers, therefore it is not condusive to tagging the oppositions players.
Hence semi tags and the like:rolleyes:
Not say i think this is the way to go but at the moment its the reality. On that semi tag, fairly sure it was dont let him run free forward of center where he is dangerous but in the back half no need to man him up.

your a coward you talk big on here,you made it personal. i had an opinion you disagree thats cool then leave it at that. but instead you start name calling grow up bigfooty is for everyone to have there say.

Mate, all you need to say is what you think makes Sheppard a bad pickup. Is it his work ethic, kicking, his attractiveness, the fact he's not a Jetta... What is it that you 'know' that the selectors didnt?

Who are you guys applying the semi-tag to this week?

If we play like we did last night you will probably roll us this weekend. Shocking performance all round.
Hill for sure, we need to look at nullifying him, or else his pace and delivery will carve us up. I think McGinnity is our ideal player on him on Ballantyne, and Paddy was pretty decent in the last quarter playing deeper in defence.

I hope he's not dropped for this game, as we need him.

I have a feeling there are going to be some very dissapointed posters come sun arvo when we watch the game and realise Woosh implements the zone defence which is designed to guard space and force turnovers, therefore it is not condusive to tagging the oppositions players.
Hence semi tags and the like:rolleyes:
Not say i think this is the way to go but at the moment its the reality. On that semi tag, fairly sure it was dont let him run free forward of center where he is dangerous but in the back half no need to man him up.

Not sure how long you have followed zone defenses but you will find that they come with numerous variations - these include the reasonably common one of a zone with man on man cover (tag) on particular players.

The idea that a Harvey, or a O'Keefe or god forbid a Hayden or Hill are not dangerous as long as they are only allowed to run free behind centre is terrifying. One hopes our coaches arent that stupid.

On the weekend we seemed to let a lot of Sydney players be free behind centre and they set up play and killed us as a result. They also clogged our forward line and reduced what little efficiency we had going forward. I get that a zone leaves players free, but certain players just cant be let free. Sydney didnt let Hurn run around on his own - one wonders why.

There are certain players you cant leave alone to run free and they need to be subject to particular attention.

Re: Changes for Round v Fremantle

After yesterdays fantastic win by the Sharks........

What I would like to see;
OUT - Spangher, Scooter, Masten, Dalziell
IN - Sheppard, Stevens, Lynch, Swift

Lineup;

Stevenson, Glass, Waters
Hurn, Schofield, Brown
Embley, A. Selwood, Sheppard
Ebert, Kennedy, Cox
Lecras, Lynch, Hams
Foll: NicNat, Swift, Priddis
Int: Stevens, Rosa, Jones, McGinnity

I think that lineup gives us lots of options against Freo's FWD line. Glass, Schofield and Brown can all play on Pav.
Hurn, Waters, Stevenson and Hams could all play on Ballatyne
If Fyfe plays, Stevenson should know him well enough from Claremont to play on him.
After last night it seemed freo struggled when Duffield wasn't able to get the ball off HBF, someone to FWD tag him.
Mcginnity to tag Barlow.
Cox and NicNat to play higher HF when up FWD.

My thoughts anyway.
Woosha will probably just stay with same old, same old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

your a coward you talk big on here,you made it personal. i had an opinion you disagree thats cool then leave it at that. but instead you start name calling grow up bigfooty is for everyone to have there say.

All people are saying, is that you need to have some credibility when commenting. Too many on here make outlandish statements without explaining.

Sure, everyone will have different opinions and in many cases there is no right or wrong.

But 'Just Coz' isn't usually a good rationale for having an opinion. E.G I don't like spangher because he can't make good decisions, has poor skills, concedes goals through direct turnovers and does not have the cool head required for a key defender position.

If you don't like Sheppard, tell us why - we all know he has a great kick and pace, so what are his downfalls? Does he not make good decisions? Does he not run to support enough when he doesn't have the ball? Does he squib physical contests?

Nobody is getting personal here, but it is a good reminder to all posters that you will struggle to be heard if you make statements that you can't back up with stats or at least a well-thought opinion/analysis of a persons game.

I would like to see the players punished on the training track in the first session of the week, I think collectively there needs to be punches thrown at training to sort a few weak pricks out.

I'm not sure of McGinnity's tagging abilities, but I would tag Mundy before tagging Barlow.
I wouldn't bother with either tbh. If we go around trying to tag all of Freo's midfield then we're screwed.

McGinnity dominated Pearce in a game v Port last year, I think he can do a job on Hill and then we need to focus on trying to win the ball ourselves than worrying about not letting certain opponents win it.

I wouldn't bother with either tbh. If we go around trying to tag all of Freo's midfield then we're screwed.

McGinnity dominated Pearce in a game v Port last year, I think he can do a job on Hill and then we need to focus on trying to win the ball ourselves than worrying about not letting certain opponents win it.

Watching last nights game I though Barlow offers them either getting the clearance or the 2nd option after a clearance. He runs into the right spots so often.
Hill has a dmagaing kick and will kill us on rebounds if (or when!) we turn the ball over but if we actually play good footy I think Barlow will be more of a worry.

Would love to see McGinnity run with Barlow alll night.

What would Stevenson be like tagging Hill all night? Hill isn't overly accountable and he could hurt him going the other way?? Has he the fitness? Maybe Sheppard??

As said above I think we need to put a FWD tag on Duffield.

Mez

I'd like to see Sheppard come in this week, he played on a wing for East Freo and got involved going forward really well with 2 goals and 10 marks. Just looks a really classy player. Also, I think if we bring him in we need to play him in the same role which earned him his spot in the team! Therefore play him on a wing, pushing forward as a bit of a high HFF. Would do a better job there than Masten has been. Stevens could get a look in, but he wasn't as influential as Sheppard and may need another week or two to go from having a 'good' game to being among his side's best, as Sheppard was yesterday. Swift has to come in this week, certainly before Stevens, and I'd like to see McKinley in there too. A natural forward would be nice :rolleyes:

Spangher has to be on the chopping block, not just for some poor games but also team balance with Fremantle really only having Pavlich (who often pushes into the midfield) and occasionally a resting Sandilands as tall forwards. No need for Spangher this week. Dalziell could be in danger if they decide to bring in Sheppard, as could Masten (depending on what role they pick Sheppard to play). B Jones and Brown could be in danger, judging by Woosha's comments, so wouldn't be suprised to see either one of those dropped either.

I would like to see the players punished on the training track in the first session of the week, I think collectively there needs to be punches thrown at training to sort a few weak pricks out.

Today's open training session was canceled. Hopefully that means there trying something new that they don't want the public seeing.

I was at the game and the most alarming thing for me, apart from the skill errors, was the forward structure. Brown didn't lead to the right place and at times our HFF line was McGinnity, Masten and Dalziell. WTF?

Brown needs to go back to CHB - not only is he playing poor as a forward but we miss his run. It also allows JK to play as a pure CHF which is he best position.

Dropped Masten = horrible idea. Let's get him up and going by playing in the big games and playing him in the middle.

In: Butler (if fit)
Out: Stevenson - otherwise Stevenson stays in

In: McKinley - good form in WAFL and we need a natural forward
Out: Spangher. Too many mistakes and Brown back to CHB

In: Sheppard - play the kid in a derby good learning curve and we need his footskills
Out: Dalziell - plodder. Rosa considered lucky to survive the cut

In: Shuey/Swift depending on fitness - we need some class through the midfield
Out: Scooter

My side:

Schofield Glass Jones
Waters Brown Hurn
Embley Masten McGinnity (tag Hill)
Hams Kennedy Ebert
LeCras McKinley NicNat
Cox A. Selwood Priddis
Shuey/Swift Sheppard Rosa Butler/Stevenson

Remove this Banner Ad