Changes for Round 6 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Need some key forwards - McKinley/Lynch/Hansen

Need some speed (haha excuse the pun:)) - Sheppard/Smith

Would like to see these people in. Don't know who to kick out coz they are all pretty much out of form except the few shining lights.

I would argue we're not really building anything at the moment. Priddis wins the ball so Priddis plays on the ball - there doesn't seem to be any real thought process beyond that.

We started yesterday with A Selwood, Priddis and Ebert on the ball. I found myself in the facepalm position before the first bounce. The issue with our midfield disposal isn't that when we win the ball when it's tight and tough we bang it long forward (Priddis isn't our only culprit, and the likes of Judd, Black, Bartel etc. do that too), it's that when we win the ball with some degree of time and space we do the same thing.

And that doesn't go into our deficiencies in winning the ball and our total lack of accountability... :eek:

Yep, I noted that set up and then we changed it up by rotating McGinnity and S Selwood through :D

The question I want someone to ask the coaches is why? I mean they must realize that speed and skill is a weakness that won't change with the names you named ... So why?

In the pre-season Woosh talked about playing risky football, attacking through the corridor and taking the game on... we play no one through the middle with either the ability or Licence to do that...

It's just frustrating ...

i dont rate Sheppard at all he is quite average, we made a big mistake not taking Jetta
we just have to live with it now. Hope he proves me wrong though but from what i have seen he is not worthy of that high a pick. time will tell i suppose.This week i would throw caution to the wind and look to the future ins: weedon, Smith, Jones and
Sheppard we need more run i dont care really who they drop at this stage to make this
happen but we are too slow and i know weedon has only played reserves at this stage
but he will be better off getting a taste of the big league then playing wafl I.M.O.

Not sure your Ash Smith comment is accurate, played well yesterday and has had a few good games already this season.

I am absolutely sure that your judgement on Priddis is flawed. He gets it because he spends 80 mins a game on ball. Anyone could get it a certain number of times given the volume of opportunity. The issue is building a midfield around a guy with no pace, no disposal skills and no creativity ...

It's a waste of time ...

I know your thoughts on Priddis and I think you're half right. Yes he plays so much in the centre cause quite frankly there is nobody else capable at present. Is he the way forward - no - but he's the best WC have got at present.
Irregardless of this he does win clearances and given WC's stoppage play that is important.

I dont think the problem is WC deliberately building the midfield around Priddis because I'm sure thats not the plan. I think its happening as a by-product of the fact that no-one else is or seems capable of getting possessions or winning clearances apart from Naitanui. Sure his disposals are not as crisp as one would like but you sure as hell cant score if the other team wins the ball away from stoppages and kicks it their way. At least Priddis prevents that to some degree.

I know i'm never going to change your mind on Priddis as you are well documented on this matter, but sometimes I do think your dislike of what he offers to the team prevents you from recognizing he at least offers something worthwhile.

Ss out - Ss in. Spangher, Scott Selwood out and Smith, Swift and Shepherd in. Adam Selwood is on thin ice too - his disposal is terrible. let's see how Stevens shapes up in the next couple of weeks. He could provide something. I'd drop Masten too and bring in McKinley. Stevenson to keep his place as he looks very promising indeed - I liked his game.
We need speed and some grunt/passion - some chase. As everybody is pointing out, the team is too slow. Start Nik Nat as the No 1 ruck too as he is more effective than Cox. Cox wins lots of taps, but not to advantage too often. Nik Nat is better at this already.

Could go on, but after watching Essendon today, not all is lost. We are both rebuilding after losing a lot of players. Even our players from our great 2006 GF win (Embley, Jones and Glass) are struggling to provide leadership on the field, and their skills have been as bad as anyone's.

Ss out - Ss in. Spangher, Scott Selwood out and Smith, Swift and Shepherd in. Adam Selwood is on thin ice too - his disposal is terrible. let's see how Stevens shapes up in the next couple of weeks. He could provide something. I'd drop Masten too and bring in McKinley. Stevenson to keep his place as he looks very promising indeed - I liked his game.
We need speed and some grunt/passion - some chase. As everybody is pointing out, the team is too slow. Start Nik Nat as the No 1 ruck too as he is more effective than Cox. Cox wins lots of taps, but not to advantage too often. Nik Nat is better at this already.

Could go on, but after watching Essendon today, not all is lost. We are both rebuilding after losing a lot of players. Even our players from our great 2006 GF win (Embley, Jones and Glass) are struggling to provide leadership on the field, and their skills have been as bad as anyone's.
i agree

dont rate Sheppard at all he is quite average, we made a big mistake not taking Jetta
we just have to live with it now. Hope he proves me wrong though but from what i have seen he is not worthy of that high a pick. time will tell i suppose.This week i would throw caution to the wind and look to the future ins: weedon, Smith, Jones and
Sheppard we need more run i dont care really who they drop at this stage to make this
happen but we are too slow and i know weedon has only played reserves at this stage
but he will be better off getting a taste of the big league then playing wafl I.M.O.

So you don't rate a bloke but we should pick him?

Is that based on any actual observation or you just slept funny last night and decided ... :rolleyes:

So you don't rate Shepperd at all, but you want to see him come in?:confused:
yeah i do, like i said time will tell. i hope he proves me wrong, i am Eagles supporter through and through fiveStrings but imo we got it wrong jetta was the player we needed but hey Sheppard cant prove me wrong unless he plays can he. so lets put him in and see what he has to offer, if he shines i will be more then happy to say i was wrong.

So you don't rate a bloke but we should pick him?

Is that based on any actual observation or you just slept funny last night and decided ... :rolleyes:

who made you an expert, you dont know me its my opinion we took the wrong player it has happened before at all clubs it will happen again doesnt mean i dislike him i just dont rate as that high a pick IMO WE GOT IT WRONG BUT TIME WILL TELL and i will be happy to admit it i hope he gets picked this week and stars but i am entitled to have my say on this board as much as anyone else PS I slept quite well thank you

My only real criticism of the coaching staff is that sometimes there seem stuck between the past in the future. We don't quite bottom out but we are not quite a contender.

As I voted on the poll a day or so ago I think our biggest weakness is our senior players.

We keep dropping the young players yet senior players can be put in poor performance after poor performance over and over.

who made you an expert, you dont know me its my opinion we took the wrong player it has happened before at all clubs it will happen again doesnt mean i dislike him i just dont rate as that high a pick IMO WE GOT IT WRONG BUT TIME WILL TELL and i will be happy to admit it i hope he gets picked this week and stars but i am entitled to have my say on this board as much as anyone else PS I slept quite well thank you

You are entitled to your opinion but have you seen Sheppard play much? Remember Jetta has a few years on Sheppard and is still skinnier. Wait until Jetta starts copping a tag, it will be like the 2009 WAFL GF all over again. Sheppard reminds me of Bernie Vince while Jetta is more like Nathan Lovett Murray. I know which one I would take. Jetta is going to have more impact now but in a few years time Sheppard will be a more valuable player IMO.

You are entitled to your opinion but have you seen Sheppard play much? Remember Jetta has a few years on Sheppard and is still skinnier. Wait until Jetta starts copping a tag, it will be like the 2009 WAFL GF all over again. Sheppard reminds me of Bernie Vince while Jetta is more like Nathan Lovett Murray. I know which one I would take. Jetta is going to have more impact now but in a few years time Sheppard will be a more valuable player IMO.
cool and thats your opinion and you make some valid points (in regards to age) and yes i have seen him play and i would still take Jetta IMO but like i have said a few times already lets debut him and see how he goes and skinny has nothing to do with it and IMO jetta is nothing like lovett murray bad comparison IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I noted that set up and then we changed it up by rotating McGinnity and S Selwood through :D

The question I want someone to ask the coaches is why? I mean they must realize that speed and skill is a weakness that won't change with the names you named ... So why?

In the pre-season Woosh talked about playing risky football, attacking through the corridor and taking the game on... we play no one through the middle with either the ability or Licence to do that...

It's just frustrating ...

Well it's got me buggered.

Cox
Judd
Cousins
Kerr
Braun
Embley
Stenglein
Fletcher
Seaby
A Selwood

That's about our best 10 'midfield' players from 2006.

Ability (not player type) aside, we're currently running with the equivalent of Cox, Fletcher, Stenglein and Selwood at the minute. We wouldn't have won too many games doing that then, so why do it now?

As concerning as our 'Plan A' is in terms of selections, it fails in terms of gameplan as well as there is no focus on accountability. At least when Geelong push Ling onto the ball you know he's going to make life tough for someone on the other team, but none of our guys even do that.

As lowly as I rated Masten's game from the weekend I'd start him on the ball this weekend, with Swift and probably Priddis as we've got bugger all else at the moment with Kerr and Shuey injured. I'd give Hurn a run, I'd give LeCras a run, I'd give Waters a run. Etc.

Mix it up, for god's sake!

cool and thats your opinion and you make some valid points (in regards to age) and yes i have seen him play and i would still take Jetta IMO but like i have said a few times already lets debut him and see how he goes and skinny has nothing to do with it and IMO jetta is nothing like lovett murray bad comparison IMO

Who would you compare with him to? Andrew Lovett?

In's: Butler(if fit)/Shepard, Ash Smith, Stevens, McKinley

Out: Brett Jones, Scott selwood, Masten, Spangher.

fletcher was doing that in wafl too what does that prove AFL is a different kettle of fish lets pick him and see what he has. all this wafl stats is bulldust lets play him for the rest of year and then all of next year and then tell me he is all that like i have said before hope he proves me wrong

Probably won't happen but this is what I would like to see:

In: Swift, Sheppard, Stevens, E-Mac, McKinley
Out: Bones, Scooter, Dalziell, Spangher, McGinnity

B: Schofield, Glass, Waters
HB: Stevenson, E-Mac, Hurn
C: Embley, Swift, Sheppard
HF: Hams, Kennedy, Stevens
F: McKinley, Brown, LeCras
R: Naita, Ebert, Selwood
I/C: Masten, Priddis, Rosa, Cox

If they make the call on Masto, so be it.

How long til we play the kids? As Woosha said, the senior players have to be held accountable, so hopefully he stands by his word and one or two of them go out, although this would be more likely if it wasn't the derby this week.

Scott Selwood, Matt Spangher are certainly going to be dropped. Mitchell Brown and Chris Masten are 50/50. The others like Dalziell, Jones etc are safe.

I would agree with this.

Spangher out and Brown goes back to defense.

Masten has had a couple of very average games, I'd put the acid on him, turn up and play v Freo or you will spend the next month playing WAFL.:mad:

Interesting Woosha named B Jones, Embely and Waters:eek: as players who need to step up. I thought Waters was our best.

Sorry? I asked a question and you didn't answer it. If you read my draft comments pre-draft you will find that I was for Jetta too, I was comparing him with Lucas at that stage (who seemed the main competition). I hadn't seen that much of shepherd at that stage.

That said, there is a difference between reckoning we should have picked Jetta and bagging Shepherd. You were doing the latter, so quite reasonably I asked the question...

When a bloke comes on here using Chris Lewis name, has a Broome reference, reckons we should pick Weedon straight from the ressies and then bags a bloke he has clearly hardly ever seen as a way of slagging of the club for not picking Jetta, well ... Maybe I see a theme that may be influencing your view ...

What exactly is it about Shepherd, in all your time viewing him, that makes you reckon he is "pretty average"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Round 6 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back