Changes for Round 6 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard Worsfold on the news saying he was unhappy with Brett Jones.

I'm not suggesting Jones was necessarily any good yesterday but if the coach thinks that he (Jones) is what's wrong with the side then he's clearly lost the plot.

Players like Jones & Nicoski's natural game is to run from defence and take the game on and the reason they run into trouble is our slow midfielders all stand around flat footed across the middle of the ground.

I'm not suggesting Jones was necessarily any good yesterday but if the coach thinks that he (Jones) is what's wrong with the side then he's clearly lost the plot.

Players like Jones & Nicoski's natural game is to run from defence and take the game on and the reason they run into trouble is our slow midfielders all stand around flat footed across the middle of the ground.

He said he was unhappy with Jones' decision making. I agree a flat midfield doesn't help, but he could still be making the wrong decisions anyway. He looked pretty quiet and down after the game after Woosh gave them a half hour spray in the rooms.

Good. Looks too much like Russell Coight for my liking anyway.

Out Bones, In Sheppard

cool and thats your opinion and you make some valid points (in regards to age) and yes i have seen him play and i would still take Jetta IMO but like i have said a few times already lets debut him and see how he goes and skinny has nothing to do with it and IMO jetta is nothing like lovett murray bad comparison IMO

Jetta plays for sydney now so we move on and support the guy who will be wearing our colours in Sheppard. the Jetta argument is yesterdays news.

Good. Looks too much like Russell Coight for my liking anyway.

Out Bones, In Sheppard

Yes, let's keep shuffling about defenders and forwards and lining up with the following:

Centreline: Rosa, Priddis, Dalziell
RUcks: Cox, A Selwood, McGinnity

But let's move Bones along and shuffle the FF deck chairs .....

Bones has been a good shut down defender this year.
There are others that need to go way before Bones should be considered. But everyone loves a scapegoat...

As I think Scotland(i think it was him) said before; when we started with Priddis, Selwood and Ebert all in the centre square at the start of the game I actually facepalmed. My god, mix that centre 3 with Rosa and Dalziell on the wings...and....gee.
And then we go and waste some like Stevenson who showed good poise by playing him down back. We have a wealth of guys that can play half back, why on earth did we waste a natural winger with good footskills and poise and an okay burst of speed...Oh right, because our coaching staff prefers slow, unskilled plodders.

Yes, let's keep shuffling about defenders and forwards and lining up with the following:

I was commenting on Bones, not our midfield. If you want to go there then out Dalziell, and Rosa, in Swift and Stevens. Move Stevens onto the forward flank and Masten into the center.

C: Swift Priddis Selwood
R: Naitanui Masten McGinnity

Sorry? I asked a question and you didn't answer it. If you read my draft comments pre-draft you will find that I was for Jetta too, I was comparing him with Lucas at that stage (who seemed the main competition). I hadn't seen that much of shepherd at that stage.

That said, there is a difference between reckoning we should have picked Jetta and bagging Shepherd. You were doing the latter, so quite reasonably I asked the question...

When a bloke comes on here using Chris Lewis name, has a Broome reference, reckons we should pick Weedon straight from the ressies and then bags a bloke he has clearly hardly ever seen as a way of slagging of the club for not picking Jetta, well ... Maybe I see a theme that may be influencing your view ...

What exactly is it about Shepherd, in all your time viewing him, that makes you reckon he is "pretty average"?

Hey you implying that because i am Aboriginal that i am bias i am far from it and i am not from Broome if you looked i am from Perth and i just have an opinion like everybody. and i have seen him play many a time and he doesnt do it for me that is just the way i see it and i am not slagging the club at all i just think we got it wrong but i will still cheer shep on like every player that pulls on the jumper as i have said so many times already lets put him in and let time be the judge why are you taking it so personal do you have something against my heritage i wonder

C: Swift Priddis Selwood
R: Naitanui Masten McGinnity

Please no.

Swift is an inside midfielder, you have him on the wing.
Selwood is an inside midfielder/tagger, you have him on the wing.
McGinnity is a tagger, you have him on the ball.

How about for the moment we go with something like...

C: Ebert Priddis Rosa
Foll: Naitanui, Masten, Swift

On 2010 form Rosa is our best wingman, so he should stay there.

We have LeCras up our sleeve for someone with skills. We have Hurn and Waters up our sleeve for someone with grunt. We still have Selwood and McGinnity up our sleeve for lock-down roles. How about we put Selwood at half forward, a guy who is 6'2'' and a reasonable overhead mark that has successfully played defensive roles is surely a better option than Masten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree.

Please no.

Swift is an inside midfielder, you have him on the wing.
Selwood is an inside midfielder/tagger, you have him on the wing.
McGinnity is a tagger, you have him on the ball.

How about for the moment we go with something like...

C: Ebert Priddis Rosa
Foll: Naitanui, Masten, Swift

On 2010 form Rosa is our best wingman, so he should stay there.

We have LeCras up our sleeve for someone with skills. We have Hurn and Waters up our sleeve for someone with grunt. We still have Selwood and McGinnity up our sleeve for lock-down roles. How about we put Selwood at half forward, a guy who is 6'2'' and a reasonable overhead mark that has successfully played defensive roles is surely a better option than Masten.

You do realise that there is no such thing as a 'winger' anymore. When was the last time you ever heard of someone being labelled the competition's best 'winger'. They are all midfielders now, where they are listed on the team sheet is largely irrelevent. Also, the oppositions best midfielder starts in the center hence why I have McGinnity starting in there to provide the tag. Your centre square has Swift, Priddis, Naitanui and Masten. Where is the tagger? So I can't start Selwood on the wing but you put him at half forward even though he is an "inside midfielder/tagger"??

You do realise that there is no such thing as a 'winger' anymore. When was the last time you ever heard of someone being labelled the competition's best 'winger'. They are all midfielders now, where they are listed on the team sheet is largely irrelevent. Also, the oppositions best midfielder starts in the center hence why I have McGinnity starting in there to provide the tag. Your centre square has Swift, Priddis, Naitanui and Masten. Where is the tagger? So I can't start Selwood on the wing but you put him at half forward even though he is an "inside midfielder/tagger"??

In my centre square combination we don't have a tagger, that's deliberate. I want our starting on ball combination to win and use the ball, and if we fail at that then we bring in a tagger or two.

Rosa is a wingman. Call him an outside midfielder, call him a ball carrier, call him an aubergine if it makes you happy. His job is to run long distances, carry and kick the ball. He spends bugger all time on hands and knees at the bottom of packs and roving at Cox's feet. He's much better in the role he is used in than Selwood would be.

On the topic of Selwood he is an inside midfielder/tagger who has also played roles in defence. I'd prefer we actually had some half forwards but in the absence of those we seem intent on playing midfielders there. A guy who is tall, can mark overhead and has shown he can play defensively will offer us more value at half forward than one who could get caught in Hayden Ballantyne's shadow and hasn't shown much at all in 5 games there.

Well Spangher is gone, hopefully to Siberia, without too much thought. Dalziell as well.

Id like to see Sheppard, Stevens come in. Brown down back. Masten in the guts playing in the WAFL.

Because throwing him in the deep end might answer the question of whether he can swim.

Seven touches in the WAFL reserves would suggest he still needs floaties.

Given we dropped Swift and refuse to play Masten and Shuey on the ball for more than a few minutes I highly doubt plucking a small forward from the WAFL ressies is on the cards.

Hey you implying that because i am Aboriginal that i am bias i am far from it and i am not from Broome if you looked i am from Perth and i just have an opinion like everybody. and i have seen him play many a time and he doesnt do it for me that is just the way i see it and i am not slagging the club at all i just think we got it wrong but i will still cheer shep on like every player that pulls on the jumper as i have said so many times already lets put him in and let time be the judge why are you taking it so personal do you have something against my heritage i wonder

Mate, you still haven't answered my question. Why is Shephard "pretty average"?

If you want to interpret my entirely reasonable comment as a personal attack then you are ****ing soft and I mean that in the nicest possible way. I didn't know you were indigenous but I did note that your BF persona, your suggestion re Weedon and the attack on Shep because he isn't Jetta all pointed in the direction of a bias towards indigenous footballers - which may be coloring your judgement. That's an entirely reasonable assessment. You disagree but the rush to " you are racist" hardly helps your case.

Now feel free to answer my question AND to toughen up.

Because throwing him in the deep end might answer the question of whether he can swim.

He had a restricted/almost no pre-season, he was injured a couple of weeks back, has since struggled for a kick at ressies level, he has no past history to fall back on (unlike say a Palmer who was playing ressies a few weeks back) and you just want to throw him into a Derby?

That's not seeing if he can swim, that's trying to drown him and testing the existence of God (to save him from said drowning)....

I mean it's an absurd swing for the fences from a team that won't even play more ready players, with some history in their proper roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Round 6 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back