Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 7 vs. Gold Coast, MCG Sat 01/05 @ 1:45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I differ is that I think what players do when they don't have the ball is at least as important as what they do when they have it and generally it's what newbies most need to learn.
The newbies should learn off him in the VFL then

I understand the argument and would almost accept it if we were finals contenders but, really, we’re not.

Surely at this stage of proceedings, it’s better to pump games into Rantall to find out if he really can play, instead of getting the same-same output from the workhorse Mayne, who has already passed his prime.

Selection decisions such as this tell me that there really is no plan. We’re totally reactionary and are not following any core selection principles.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He needs to go back and smash the door down, he's had a taste.

There seems to be a lot of reaction to Rantall going out without the team having been named. The VFL squad includes 5 players that were in the seniors on ANZAC day (Madgen, Kelly, Brown, Rantall and Ruscoe) and we will have 4 ins so one of the 5 outs will be at the G.

My best guess is Rantall will be named the sub and Mayne will play. I’m anticipating a 4 goal loss because GC are playing better footy than us and whilst I don’t have an issue with Mayne coming in I think a nod to the future was the correct call.

Edit: Just saw Jen’s post.

Where I differ is that I think what players do when they don't have the ball is at least as important as what they do when they have it and generally it's what newbies most need to learn.

It’s more important. An elite AFL player, think Lachie Neale, has ball in hand for roughly 100 seconds of a 100 minute match. The guys we’re discussing are probably as low as 20-30 seconds unless taking a SOG. If you aren’t involved in the 98-99% of match time without possession you won’t last long at an AFL club. Unless your name’s Aaron Hall...

He needs to go back and smash the door down, he's had a taste.

How does giving him one game, played in an unfamiliar position/role, help him or the team?

I would much prefer the adoption of a policy that once selected, each debutant gets a minimum of three consecutive games. That gives them time to find their feet and settle in, without fear of immediately being dropped. It also gives the coaches the chance to see them in a couple of positions to see what works best.

How is the youth movement half hearted. We have played many players with under 20 games of experience
When Thomas, Sidebottom and Pendlebury are majority centre square mids whilst Rantall an in under mid plays up forward then gets dropped and has miss out on the VFL as well to be a sub it’s half hearted.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ps anyone remember when Mayne couldn’t miss at goals when playing for Freo?

He went on a crazy run one year.
Once he got to us he couldn’t reach the goals to miss them. Three dimensional chess.

Stop Playing the Old Duds who are not AFL Footballers

Some of them are past it like Mayne and Greenwood, and some of them are on their last legs like Sidebottom and arguably Pendles.

I can't see any good reason to play Mayne or Greenwood ever again. Pendles and Sidebottom need to be moved into different roles I reckon. Pendles smarts would be valuable down back, and Sidebottom should be moved forward.

We need a total change of gameplan. We need to blood youth as much as possible, and we really need to switch up the positions of some players. We need change, and we need it urgently. What we're doing now, and have been doing since 2019 is not working.

I see zero chance of us making the 8. We're most likely gonna finish bottom 4. We have to embrace the rebuild.

I understand the argument and would almost accept it if we were finals contenders but, really, we’re not.

Surely at this stage of proceedings, it’s better to pump games into Rantall to find out if he really can play, instead of getting the same-same output from the workhorse Mayne, who has already passed his prime.

Selection decisions such as this tell me that there really is no plan. We’re totally reactionary and are not following any core selection principles.

Selection decisions like this tell me that unlike some supporters, the club are still aiming for finals. Until it’s a mathematical impossibility that’s as it should be.

He’s sustained a long career because Buckley’s a poor coach

You’re right, the 9 years at the Dockers don’t count. Or were they on Bucks as well?

Selection decisions like this tell me that unlike some supporters, the club are still aiming for finals. Until it’s a mathematical impossibility that’s as it should be.

I think we're no hope of finals, but we're good enough to put up a contest that gives us a chance in games. I sure as hell hope that we are still trying to win games of footy. I can't believe how many just want to give up. There's ire because we played crap against Essendon, then even more ire that we aren't choosing a team likely to have us continue to play that crap.

Why am I seeing Brodie Grundy’s pictured attached to articles that mention injury clouds?

I can’t get past the paywall (well I could, but I ain’t paying lol).. anyone know what the worry is? I’m watching to see if they hold Kelly or Cox back from the VFL

I think we're no hope of finals, but we're good enough to put up a contest that gives us a chance in games. I sure as hell hope that we are still trying to win games of footy. I can't believe how many just want to give up. There's ire because we played crap against Essendon, then even more ire that we aren't choosing a team likely to have us continue to play that crap.
Our best 22 played like crap at the start of the we’re getting served crap regardless of the team.

So the preference is to develop players and be crap rather than just be crap.

Well atleast that’s what I assume others are thinking, for mine I just don’t rate Mayne and see him adding to the crap we’re serving atm.

My biggest gripe has to be the lack of innovation and foresight from the coaching staff. We lost 3 best 22 players and replaced them with draftees, our sides competitor was was always going to depend on how they could adapt, instead they set up the team exactly the same just with lesser players and now were forced to make all our changes on the fly with the season already gone.

Why am I seeing Brodie Grundy’s pictured attached to articles that mention injury clouds?

I can’t get past the paywall (well I could, but I ain’t paying lol).. anyone know what the worry is? I’m watching to see if they hold Kelly or Cox back from the VFL

You know how it works they put a Collingwood player on every article to attract more readers.
I think the article you were referring to was telling people to put Grundy captain in supercoach because GC have no ruck. Not sure who the injured player was, but it wasn't the pies.

You know how it works they put a Collingwood player on every article to attract more readers.
I think the article you were referring to was telling people to put Grundy captain in supercoach because GC have no ruck. Not sure who the injured player was, but it wasn't the pies.
I’m finding it funny that AFL.com seems to be using treloar all the time for doggies, of course they are..

Our best 22 played like crap at the start of the we’re getting served crap regardless of the team.

So the preference is to develop players and be crap rather than just be crap.

Well atleast that’s what I assume others are thinking, for mine I just don’t rate Mayne and see him adding to the crap we’re serving atm.

My biggest gripe has to be the lack of innovation and foresight from the coaching staff. We lost 3 best 22 players and replaced them with draftees, our sides competitor was was always going to depend on how they could adapt, instead they set up the team exactly the same just with lesser players and now were forced to make all our changes on the fly with the season already gone.

I'm often critical of the coaches, but this year I don't think there was much the coaches could do. The game has opened up and Crisp and Sidebottom are the only blokes in our team who are good runners - with Sidebottom being needed on the inside because we're currently so weak there.

I'm often critical of the coaches, but this year I don't think there was much the coaches could do. The game has opened up and Crisp and Sidebottom are the only blokes in our team who are good runners - with Sidebottom being needed on the inside because we're currently so weak there.

So has the running affected there kicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back