Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Assuming McGovern misses through injury, who should come in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is talking about speed but they showed a stat after one of his first few games, Keath was actually the player to hit the highest speed of that game.

Depends what kind of speed though. In terms of forward line pressure it's more about acceleration, repeat sprint and agility than top end speed, which is where a Hampton/Menzel/Milera are probably better options than Keath. Keaths quick, but he's not going to able to apply the same pressure and ground ball presence as the other guys.

Depends what kind of speed though. In terms of forward line pressure it's more about acceleration, repeat sprint and agility than top end speed, which is where a Hampton/Menzel/Milera are probably better options than Keath. Keaths quick, but he's not going to able to apply the same pressure and ground ball presence as the other guys.
Milera and pressure should never been used in the same sentence. No disrespect to him but he struggled in the regular season and finals is 200% percent more pressure. Would be very surprised if Don went with Milera.

Me for the last couple days, probably the next couple.
HTTPS9tZWRpYS50ZW5vci5jby9pbWFnZXMvMjZmNmVkN2Y1ODY3MjJmMTNhNmQyMzJiZGJhOGI3YmMvcmF3.gif

So what aspect of McGovern do we prioritise?

- Ability to kick a small bag of goals, or at the very least provide a genuine scoring threat
- Aerial ability to create a mismatch and get a contested mark inside 50
- Speed and ground level ability to chase, tackle, block exits, take up strategic space

Or do we prioritise/counter with other roles that Gov doesn't yet perform such as versatility to play midfield minutes or replace a defender?
This is where I think that it's Menzel time.
- Can kick goals, good on the deck, knows where they are.
- Good mark overhead, can push to contest
- Speed down low , tackling beast this year

I think that he has the edge over Milera with his body size, I just don't see it holding up in finals and I think that he edges out Hampton because he's been training with the forwards and hampton hasn't had too much of a run at it.

I'm excited and a lil scared, he could spud or go bang.

This is where I think that it's Menzel time.
- Can kick goals, good on the deck, knows where they are.
- Good mark overhead, can push to contest
- Speed down low , tackling beast this year

I think that he has the edge over Milera with his body size, I just don't see it holding up in finals and I think that he edges out Hampton because he's been training with the forwards and hampton hasn't had too much of a run at it.

I'm excited and a lil scared, he could spud or go bang.

Yes, please go Menzel.

Second option is Hampton, with Douglas moving forward.

NO to Otten or Beech.

If all these options were match sharp I would be choosing Hampton. His pressure acts would be very handy against the elite inside midfield Geelong have. However , he hasn't played for months.

Otten worries me as it might make us too slow up forward.

Milera is probably the one to go with for me. Without Smith it would be handy to have someone with elite skills even though he can go missing and dosent run both ways very well. My concern is that if even one of Atkins or Cameron are a bit off ... if Milera struggles too then it could sink us.

Menzel. Just no.

Going to be a hard one for match committee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are looking for that Cinderella premiership story. The only way that works is if he plays a defensive forward type role on Henderson.

Otten was playing up forward in today's match simulation, so we have decided to go slow up forward.

Ever since Don Pyke came on board as senior coach, we have had closed training sessions and played everything close to his chest but 3 days before a preliminary final, he shows his hand by playing Andy Otten as a forward.

I've very confident Otten won't play.

Ever since Don Pyke came on board as senior coach, we have had closed training sessions and played everything close to his chest but 3 days before a preliminary final, he shows his hand by playing Andy Otten as a forward.

I've very confident Otten won't play.
For the last couple of sessions, cameras have got in and taken footage through the gates.

You think Don knows that and an instead of practicing the new structure, tries to fool Geelong?

Would be great if true but I'm not convinced.

For the last couple of sessions, cameras have got in and taken footage through the gates.

You think Don knows that and an instead of practicing the new structure, tries to fool Geelong?

Would be great if true but I'm not convinced.

I think at this point of the season, they are not going to be implanting anything revolutionary.

I don't think he is going to try and trick them. I just don't think Otten will play. His last game was 30th of July. 6 weeks ago.

We are looking for that Cinderella premiership story. The only way that works is if he plays a defensive forward type role on Henderson.
Geelongs tall defenders are:

Henderson
Lonergan
And possibly Taylor, but last week was Henderson and Taylor.

If Otten plays, Geelong will need to counter Tex, Jenkins and Otten.

Their midsized defender is Mackie and their small defenders are Tuohy, Stewart and Bews.

Possible match ups could be:

Henderson Tex
Longergan Jenkins
Bews Betts
Tuohy Cameron
Mackie Lynch
Taylor or Stewart Otten

These can all obviously switch around but you would think Otten will be on a tall or Stewart. Stewart provides a lot of run so Otten better mark the ball.

“I want to win a flag, potentially it might be a reality that we might play in the last day in September, I wouldn’t acknowledge it publicly but as an individual I would acknowledge what Phil created and built early on,” Walker said.

“We’ve been through some stuff that’s not meant to be and fingers crossed we’re coming out the right side of it now.”

Weve got this guys.

I'm going against the grain here.

The coaches won't want to enable Geelong to allow one of Henderson, Lonergan, Mackie or Stewart to sit free and unaccountable picking off our forays forward. Adding Otten means that they have to match up on Tex, JJ, Lynch and Otten.

I'm happy if they go with Otto

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Back