Preview Changes/Preview – Round 18 vs. Essendon - IN: Petty the RUCK

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tipped us earlier in the thread by 11 points being the massive dees nuffy that I am. (I think my Bombers hate is playing into this prediction)

I have been thinking about Petty's selection and the thing is he was probably coming into the side regardless of Gawn being injured or not. Goodwin is stubborn to try make Petty forward work. Sad thing is Andy Moniz Wakefield probably makes way if Gawn didn't come out because Goodwin doesn't like playing youth.
I believe strongly that Petty was the missing link to us not winning the flag last year. Don’t get me wrong loosing milkman and Angus hurt but petty was starting to his straps as a dominate forward before injury. AMW wasn’t making way for anyone this week and Goodwin has been brave in playing youth this year, when they earn it.

Personally, I would have brought in Ben Brown to ruck over Petty.. there would definitely be more highlights, whether they were good or bad highlights is a different story.

I believe strongly that Petty was the missing link to us not winning the flag last year. Don’t get me wrong loosing milkman and Angus hurt but petty was starting to his straps as a dominate forward before injury. AMW wasn’t making way for anyone this week and Goodwin has been brave in playing youth this year, when they earn it.
rainbow fan GIF

Should have seen some of the oldies with MFC logo pfp's on facebook ragging the club's facebook page on Neale Daniher posts around Kings Birthday because they where a wee bit upset about getting flogged by freo in a game of footy

I am going to go out on a limb with the minority here and say I like the petty over backup ruckman option. Hear me out before flaming...

Fullarton - isn't a ruckman, forward who pinch hits at best. Not physically competitive enough and don't think he is even fit enough with his hammy setbacks. Draper would monster him for strength everywhere and prob kick 5 on him pushing forward or force May to spots we don't won't him trying to stop it.

Verrall - too raw and from what I seen in the preseason is no where near fit enough. He would blow up in the first QTR and Draper would push forward stretching our defence and have same impact as above (just fitness instead of strength)

Petty - can't match strength but he has hops and nimble enough to put pressure on once it hits the deck. He looks lovely when he pinch hits there and can be in positions to run and jump at the ball more where is excels. He can cover the ground and can challenge Draper the other way too. What I think he will do though is float back like Gawn and be a intercept machine or even free may/lever up for that. He can nullify Draper if he pushes forward.

I think the only other option would have been if petty wasn't fit to bring in both Fullarton and Verrall. Rotate them through ruck with JVR and Turner pinch hitting. Have them push forward at every opportunity to cook Draper. Sub Verrall in middle of 3rd for fresh legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back