Preview Changes/Preview – Round 18 vs. Essendon - IN: Petty the RUCK

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? Melk plays further up the ground and can also play a defensive role on an oppo tall. Koz, Melk, Fritta, McAdam, JVR is a tough F50 to match up on.

Seems easy to defend against whereas Petty/Turner takes the pressure off JVR as the solo tall.

Seems easy to defend against whereas Petty/Turner takes the pressure off JVR as the solo tall.
How did Turner help JVR today? Today proved Petty and Turner just get in his way more than help him, he has enough talent to be the guy by himself. Getting some guys who can seperate inside F50 makes it easier for everyone and also allows us to put more pressure on which Goody wants.

The only people Petty takes pressure off is the oppo defenders.

Petty comes back in, he needs to go to defence. Yeah it was WCE, but the F50 just looked more spacious today. More dynamic and less predictable. If Petty plays forward, he's gotta play much higher. Like a link player up the flank or wing. Played that role really well against Hawks last year. Obviously prefer him in defence or at Casey.

With Gawn's ankle a watch and JVR showing he should be left forward...

OUT: Turner
IN: Fullarton

Would also consider doing something different with the sub - Maybe Howes or McAdam. Gives us the option of moving things around more, like putting Kozzy or McVee in the middle, not that it will happen though I guess.

Yeah I think he comes in. Been playing pretty well at Casey. I'd be more excited about him than Petty.

Would like him to, but can't see who comes out for him? I think he could be an option as sub for something different. Could come in and make an impact, would also allow for Kozzy to go into the midfield more if needed.

Would like him to, but can't see who comes out for him? I think he could be an option as sub for something different. Could come in and make an impact, would also allow for Kozzy to go into the midfield more if needed.
Sparrow. There's more than enough guys who can run through the middle, we would lose absolutely nothing taking him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sparrow. There's more than enough guys who can run through the middle, we would lose absolutely nothing taking him out.
That Sparrow can't flourish with Petracca out and Viney and Oliver both down on form is really concerning. Especially when guys like Rivers can slot straight into that midfield role seamlessly.

Yeah that's not a bad call, I would argue though he's not really 'running through the middle', he's attending a few centre bounces but then he's playing as a defender. That could potentially make it easier though given we brought Salem and Bowey back last week.

I still like the idea of McAdam as sub though tbh. Clearly not super fit, so means he has more chance of making an impact, and I'm not sure how Fritsch, McAdam, Melksham and Kozzy go all in the same forward line for a whole game?

That Sparrow can't flourish with Petracca out and Viney and Oliver both down on form is really concerning. Especially when guys like Rivers can slot straight into that midfield role seamlessly.

That's on Goody. Watch where Sparrow is being asked to play, he's had any chance of stepping up destroyed by the role he's been given. Spending most of his time in the backline post-bounce. Not to say he'd be killing it if he was playing as a proper mid, but he's not been given the chance to do that and show if he's capable or not.

That's on Goody. Watch where Sparrow is being asked to play, he's had any chance of stepping up destroyed by the role he's been given. Spending most of his time in the backline post-bounce. Not to say he'd be killing it if he was playing as a proper mid, but he's not been given the chance to do that and show if he's capable or not.
The lengths you will go to defend Sparrow's honour and justify his selection are crazy.

We retain Sparrow and Oliver because they are playing so well and contributing to the team.

NOT

I picked Sparrow as the player to have a breakout season this year.

I am off him now. When I noticed him he was always a step behind in decision making and makes a lot of poor decisions as well.

He had about 50% CBA's for 0 center clearances so it's not like he's not getting any chances to be in there. He also only had 1 intercept posession for the game, so he's not giving us much from the defensive half either. When he was playing in the forward half earlier in the year he wasn't kicking goals or involved in much scoring.

Maybe he's being underutilised, but it seems that whatever his role is at any given time we seem to get about the same return.

He had about 50% CBA's for 0 center clearances so it's not like he's not getting any chances to be in there. He also only had 1 intercept posession for the game, so he's not giving us much from the defensive half either. When he was playing in the forward half earlier in the year he wasn't kicking goals or involved in much scoring.

Maybe he's being underutilised, but it seems that whatever his role is at any given time we seem to get about the same return.

Yeah, that's all fair, I'm not trying to argue he's any good - I'm just saying his role is a mess and he's a 'simple' footballer and it's making it hard for him. Not against him being dropped this week by any stretch.

At some stage though, I'd like Goody to play him as a pure inside clearance mid while Trac is out so they can decide if he's actually any good or not. He's never played that role for us with the opportunity he would have now, always been behind 3-4 players at least.

Yeah, that's all fair, I'm not trying to argue he's any good - I'm just saying his role is a mess and he's a 'simple' footballer and it's making it hard for him. Not against him being dropped this week by any stretch.

At some stage though, I'd like Goody to play him as a pure inside clearance mid while Trac is out so they can decide if he's actually any good or not. He's never played that role for us with the opportunity he would have now, always been behind 3-4 players at least.
If they want to really have a crack at finals they should give Oliver til the end of the season to get fit and put Sparrow in there full time. It's either that or drop him for someone who can play those other roles better than he can imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back