Preview Changes & Preview Round 18 - SUNS vs Ports @ PFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they'd stick with Narkle and switch Evans and McEntee as sub, but looks like Narkle is going to be named as sub, Evans going to get a full game.
I hope you're wrong. Narkle has been good defensively and been really clean with the ball. His pace is also better than Evans. This means a cumbersome top heavy forward line is made even slower with Evans in it.

If Dixon is bringing the ball to the ground in a pack, leaping into the contest is just removing yourself from the contest 98% of the time.

People are too worried about contested marks. A contested mark is a failure of strategy. We should be aiming to generate uncontested marks.

I hear what you're saying, but fundamentally it isn't true.

Yes a good gameplan creates more uncontested marks, but our entire game is built around winning contests. Win contests, win games. Premiership teams are built around players that win contests.

If you are a tall forward you need to compete in the air and pluck a couple every now and then. Marshalls inability to do this is his greatest weakness.

Also to add something el scorcho hasn’t gone into depth in and I’ll add my point to, not all contests are equal.

Ie, a contested mark versus one defender, and against 3 defenders and a teammate are both equally marked as 1 contested mark, but one of these is infinitely easier, and you’re going to complete one of those at a much higher rate than the other.

Plenty of teams rely on kfs to take contested marks in between those uncontested ones, but they’re contests were the kf has a 1 on 1 or possibly 2 on 1 where the other defender doesn’t have all day to set up and go after it but is under pressure to get there.

For instance I’ve lost count of the games where I’ve watched curnow go to work beating his man in a great performance where a 2nd defenders hardly had a chance and I’ll check the contested marking stats and he’s got a ****load of contested marks.

Our flood gameplan that pits numbers against our kfs and our bombing it to Dixon love affair means we get much less of those type of contested marks.

Not too mention another clue as to how hard we make it is our history , or should I say lack of, small forwards taking any contested marks.

Yeah, small forwards aren’t known for taking contested marks but around the league if you look at contested marks there’s still those players taking them for those teams, even if not in big numbers.

Evans rioli and mcintee have a combined 2 for the season lol. I would be surprised if mcintees ever taken one.

Meanwhile Schultz, hill , Elliott and Richard’s have 11. Admittedly that’s the cream of the crop of small forwards but joe 177cms ****ing richards who plenty of people have never heard of has 2 in 5 games this year.

Paul Curtis and Eddie ford have 16.

And so on.

In 2022 Todd was a weapon not because he was alone in a paddock all year long, but because he only had to beat 1 defender on more occasions than we’re used to seeing, not half the population of Australia.

I think we have played about all we could considering how badly Port Magpies have been this year.

You don’t blood players just for the sake of it. They’ll get a shot if they deserve it win or lose.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hear what you're saying, but fundamentally it isn't true.

Yes a good gameplan creates more uncontested marks, but our entire game is built around winning contests. Win contests, win games. Premiership teams are built around players that win contests.

If you are a tall forward you need to compete in the air and pluck a couple every now and then. Marshalls inability to do this is his greatest weakness.

Abso-******-lutely.

Aim to create good uncontested entries. But have players who CAN contest, and win a decent share of those contests.

If Dixon is bringing the ball to the ground in a pack, leaping into the contest is just removing yourself from the contest 98% of the time.

People are too worried about contested marks. A contested mark is a failure of strategy. We should be aiming to generate uncontested marks.
If you leap into a contest from the front or the side, you are a better chance of taking the mark yourself. That is to the team's advantage.
If you leap into the pack or with the pack and are able to keep space between a defender and a team mate there is a better chance of a mark than the ball being brought to ground, or the ball coming to ground to our advantage.

If you are a KPF don't contest a pack mark that you were in proximity to contest you are just hoping that Dixon, who is usually up against more than one defender, can get the ball down to team advantage or the ball goes over the top. Those seem like the least likely options IMO.

Sure we should be generating the easiest route to goal possible. Uncontested marks leading to set shots being amongst the best of them. However there will always be circumstances when long deep entries to a contest are the only option available. The best option if you have a Curnow, Hogan or Dixon at the drop. The worst failure of all is not doing everything you can to give your KPF colleague an advantage in the air when that happens. Especially if your KPD has gone to do exactly that to help his team out.

If Butters was a 198cm KPF what do you think he would do? He would block, crash, fly, do anything to win the aerial contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put on 5kgs last time I was in China for four weeks. Just food & grog. Lost it all in 5 weeks again.
I suspect Dixon was on a limited training program with foot injuries so in the gym a lot. Hopefully over his injuries so he can run better so he’s doing more aerobic work & slimmed down.

Nah it's not that drastic you can lose 5 kilos in 2 weeks by just avoiding carbs.

It’s relative tho. Someone not in great shape can lose 7ish kgs quickly (and then next x amount would be much harder).

Someone who is in relatively ok shape shouldn’t have 7 kgs to lose, much less a professional athlete.

If he had 7kgs that could be lost that quickly the only explanation is that he was in horrid not remotely close to afl shape to begin with.

If you are a KPF don't contest a pack mark that you were in proximity to contest you are just hoping that Dixon, who is usually up against more than one defender, can get the ball down to team advantage or the ball goes over the top. Those seem like the least likely options IMO.

You're right, but this was literally our Plan A for like 6 years. And Dixon was pretty good at it which let us dominate poor teams using this tactic.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. Nobody would question burgeoning superstar Georgiades' attack on the ball or appetite for the contest, and Marshall averages 0.1 less contested mark and 0.1 more offensive 1v1 contests a game than him. Nobody is complaining about Georgiades having less than 1 contested mark a game.

It's 100% counterintuitive for a key forward to fly into a pack where they have a low chance of marking it and they can see that the opposition has a low chance of marking it. Back the teammates already in the contest to do their job (and Dixon has probably been the best player in the league at avoiding getting outmarked over the last half a decade), and stay on the ground and win the ground contest.

It’s relative tho. Someone not in great shape can lose 7ish kgs quickly (and then next x amount would be much harder).

Someone who is in relatively ok shape shouldn’t have 7 kgs to lose, much less a professional athlete.

If he had 7kgs that could be lost that quickly the only explanation is that he was in horrid not remotely close to afl shape to begin with.
Well he barely does pre-seasons & hoons around the Adelaide Hills eating parmies.

It's possible he just bulked too much BIG STRONG MEAN BEARDY MAN watch him move like a glacier!

The reality is the guys that don't do all the running in pre-season usually have crap years.

Whilst I agree he wasn't AFL fit coming into the season, we don't know what his body composition was before and after the 7kg weight loss.

Its almost a certainty that he lost some muscle mass along with whatever fat he may have lost. He probably should have slimmed down years ago to take the pressure of his feet and ankles.

I don't recall when but I do recall Tredrea losing about 3 kg one preseason to take the pressure of his knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back