Preview Changes/Preview vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we go 3 from 3?

Oh yes. Discuss how we will bring down the Suns, including key match ups, changes, dangers and speculation about this critical match...

I felt more confident about the Sydney game than I did about this one. On paper, this should be easy. It's Marvel Stadium, we are in hot form, and we always match up quite well against the Suns.

I'm fine with our ability to shut down Sexton (I imagine Duryea or Crozier will spend a good amount of time on him), but not sure what we do about Peter Wright, although our defence has been really good in the air lately.

Theoretically, our forwards should do fine against their defence, and our mids should win the midfield battle, but I just have this funny feeling about this game.

Suns may have had two very close games so far, and no real convincing wins, but I still think they look far better than last year. I still think we win this one, but wouldn't be surprised if they give us a bit of a scare. Definitely can't underestimate them anymore

After English’s best game lol?
I struggle to see that tbh he looks like he moves the ball well, look at the hit out count every week we lose that I can't recall winning tbh he looks like he needs to be developed he need to put on some kg Dropped some marks I was fuming when he was on the mark when mcevoy was just cruising in a pack the ball was clearly going there and Mcevoy took the mark I thought his last qtr was good tho maybe one more shot agaisnt gold coast fair but collingwood we need some experience even they go with english for the pies the doggies are saying his our best ruckman I personally don't think he Is

What forward structures are GC running atm? I like Duryea to Sexton, Cordy will have to take Wright, not too concerned with Wood and Crozier chopping out. Id like Wood to play a more free role this week with no real match up. Id imagine all of Wood, Crozier, Dureya will rotate through Martin. Young probably not needed so bring Williams back to play small again and I cant see GC stopping our run from HBF.

Lukious is not a concern at the moment. Wright, Sexton, Martin all good players but nothing our backline cant handle, who else do they even have down there?

I get that people hate being the favourite and are worried about this game but geez ill be concerned if its not an easy enough win to us. We are a hell of a lot better and at home, just get it done. Not expecting a smashing but it would be nice to finally put a team to the sword.

I struggle to see that tbh he looks like he moves the ball well, look at the hit out count every week we lose that I can't recall winning tbh he looks like he needs to be developed he need to put on some kg Dropped some marks I was fuming when he was on the mark when mcevoy was just cruising in a pack the ball was clearly going there and Mcevoy took the mark I thought his last qtr was good tho maybe one more shot agaisnt gold coast fair but collingwood we need some experience even they go with english for the pies the doggies are saying his our best ruckman I personally don't think he Is

I cannot believe why we would drop English. He is our future just keep playing him he will get better each week and he has done his job in the first 2 weeks.

With the 5 day break before R4, I think we might see a few players managed. Youngsters like Smith and Richards most likely but a couple with niggles may also be freshened
Could be a great opportunity for a Lipinski, Greene, Trengove etc to slot into a winning combination.

I cannot believe why we would drop English. He is our future just keep playing him he will get better each week and he has done his job in the first 2 weeks.
Because he's getting destroyed in the hitouts? Because he's not a very good mark atm?

Rhylee West is also our future, should we be playing him? What about Lipinski who's killing it in the VFL? Buku Khamis when he's back from injury? Laitham Vandermeer?

There's a balance to be struck between playing for the future and playing for the now. I believe we're capable of winning the flag this year, therefore I believe we should field our strongest available team every week. That's not to say I'm vehemently against having English in the team, but I don't think he should be our #1 ruck, or solo rucking. One of the main reasons Hawthorn got on top of us in the 3rd quarter (Sydney in the 4th) was because English started to struggle badly against the more experience ruckmen, and we began to lose stoppages in high volume.

My starting 22 for for this week. Assuming no resting or injuries.

Backs: Crozier Naughton Wood
H/Backs: Richards Young Suckling
Centre: Hunter Dunkley McCrae
H/Fwds Lloyd Schache McLean
Fwds: Dickson Gowers Wallis
Foll: English Bontempelli Liberatore
Int: Cordy, Duryea, Daniel, Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he's getting destroyed in the hitouts? Because he's not a very good mark atm?

Rhylee West is also our future, should we be playing him? What about Lipinski who's killing it in the VFL? Buku Khamis when he's back from injury? Laitham Vandermeer?

There's a balance to be struck between playing for the future and playing for the now. I believe we're capable of winning the flag this year, therefore I believe we should field our strongest available team every week. That's not to say I'm vehemently against having English in the team, but I don't think he should be our #1 ruck, or solo rucking. One of the main reasons Hawthorn got on top of us in the 3rd quarter (Sydney in the 4th) was because English started to struggle badly against the more experience ruckmen, and we began to lose stoppages in high volume.
thanks mate the other guy tho come on we could play finals this year honestly we play our best available 22 it not round 19 where we can look ahead

So you wanna drop English for Trengrove
So you wanna read one sentence of my post before deciding it's time to reply?
who is even worse at getting hitouts and a worse mark? We have clearly won clearances in both games btw.
What? This is outright false. Trengove finished last season playing ruck and he was far more competitive in the ruck contests than English has ever been. Trengove is also a far better mark than English right now, even knowing it isn't one of Trengove's strengths.

Core body strength matters, and English doesn't have it right now. That's why Sydney were happy to let a 33 year old, 192cm defender like Heath Grundy ruck against him late in the game, and they still dominated the 4th quarter stoppages.

The Title of the injury update is JJ set to return and is now listed as a test / if he trains well he will be in selection frame. Thought they would save him for the Pies game considering the 5 day break between games but maybe not. Not sure who he comes in for, especially considering Bailey Williams should probably come back in if healthy. Bailey Smith and maybe Young out? 2 changes to an undefeated team seems unlikely.

I felt more confident about the Sydney game than I did about this one. On paper, this should be easy. It's Marvel Stadium, we are in hot form, and we always match up quite well against the Suns. Definitely can't underestimate them anymore

Should win be 10 goals plus. Will be good to see have a runaway win for a change.

I get that people hate being the favourite and are worried about this game but geez ill be concerned if its not an easy enough win to us. We are a hell of a lot better and at home, just get it done. Not expecting a smashing but it would be nice to finally put a team to the sword.
Clubs have a history of taking the foot of the gas against the weaker sides. But not us. Bevo has us fired up.

Only people who watch the stats rather than the game would want to drop English. Stats are overrated. He may lose the hitout but he follows up fine. We have a new weapon to beat the press - kick it to Tim. If he doesn't mark it, he brings the ball down to our mids. He has great stamina and skills for a ruckman. And a huge boot - he nearly kicked that goal from 55m without much effort and it was still sailing through at height.

Only people who watch the stats rather than the game would want to drop English. Stats are overrated. He may lose the hitout but he follows up fine. We have a new weapon to beat the press - kick it to Tim. If he doesn't mark it, he brings the ball down to our mids. He has great stamina and skills for a ruckman. And a huge boot - he nearly kicked that goal from 55m without much effort and it was still sailing through at height.
Mate I don't really care about the stats but still it a bad stat when I am at home and doggies are playing I have never missed a game I don't ever go on my phone during a game I watch it all even if where losing

Any chance Trengove comes in?
Rolled ankle in the VFL last week, I honestly doubt it. Witts will be tough for English though so if Trengoves ankle is all good then he's a chance to come in. Pretty hard to call from here but looks like the club is committing to English as number 1 ruck

English is no way physically ready to ruck 22 games this season.

We stuffed him last year by playing him against Gold Coast in Ballarat and he looked shot. Then we stupidly played him for Footscray, he got injured and we never saw him again.

I would play him 16-18 times this season and I certainly wouldn't be putting him up against Grundy on a 5 day break.

Other option would be to play him this week and rest him for Collingwood, though I'm not sure Trengove would be able to keep up with Grundy.

I'd love to win 25 games a season, but I'd prefer to play the long game and protect our assets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes/Preview vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back