Preview Changes: R3 vs Port Adelaide

Rate our selections for this week

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Captaincy almost seems cursed. van Berlo struggled with form, then got rekt by a bloody sled of all things. Tex lost a lot of form as captain later on. Sloane looked the perfect choice but has lost form.

Maybe we should just give the captaincy to average players to begin with.
Probably cause we don't take it off them when it's clearly time and leave it 2-3 years too late.

VB shouldn't have been Captain in 2015, Pyke wanted to make Sloane captain in 2019 and got told no and now Sloane should have given it up this year to Doedee and instead kept it and probably keeps it next year too.

Captaincy almost seems cursed. van Berlo struggled with form, then got rekt by a bloody sled of all things. Tex lost a lot of form as captain later on. Sloane looked the perfect choice but has lost form.

Maybe we should just give the captaincy to average players to begin with.
Yep... for the majority of Tex's captaincy he played very well, the guy puts this club on his back and has carried us for years, although he had 1 very down year. It will be very sad when he finally hangs up the boots, going to be a big hole to fill....

So today is an interesting one ...

I expect that Sloane is going to play - I'll judge that decision on his performance. If he goes off because of the existing injury, that is a joke. IF he does play it should be forward half. <EDIT - wow, they actually made the call>

Himmelberg should head back to SANFL to see if he can find his game, Shoenberg needs a reset.

If the team from last week was:

b: Murray, Butts, Brown
hb: Smith, Doedee, Jones
c: Dawson, Sloane, Sholl
hf: McHenry, Himmelberg, Rowe
f: Rachele, Fogarty, Gollant
Fol: ROB, Keays, Crouch
Int: Shoenberg, Pedlar, Cook, Hinge

My changes would be:

b: Worrell, Butts, Brown
hb: Smith, Doedee, Dawson
c: Hinge, Laird , Sholl
hf: Sloane, Thilthorpe, Rachele
f: Jones, Fogarty, Gollant
Int: Pedlar, Cook, McHenry, Rowe

Absolutely no chance - RT is not coming back in yet - I can't see us playing Jones anywhere but halfback - or Sloane anywhere but the middle :-|

Really, I just don't want to see Cook, Pedlar or Gollant dropped - wouldn't mind if we get to see Murray up forward instead of RT.

<EDIT post Sloane news>

b: Worrell, Butts, Brown
hb: Smith, Doedee, Dawson
c: Hinge, Laird , Sholl
hf: SloaneRowe, Thilthorpe, Rachele
f: Jones, Fogarty, Gollant
Int: Pedlar, Cook, McHenry, Hately
I reckon Fog is a huge chance to get dropped rightly or wrongly , wonder if they will drop one or both of Fog / Himmelberg ?

Wouldn’t surprise to see Hately play

Hopefully Murray holds his spot as I don’t think he’s done much wrong , don’t want Billy taking his spot

I reckon Fog is a huge chance to get dropped rightly or wrongly , wonder if they will drop one or both of Fog / Himmelberg ?

Wouldn’t surprise to see Hately play

Hopefully Murray holds his spot as I don’t think he’s done much wrong , don’t want Billy taking his spot

Dropping Fogarty at this early stage of the year would be a totally idiotic move that I don't even think the club is dumb enough to make.

We are 2 games in. Berg needs to go forever though.

Dropping Fogarty at this early stage of the year would be a totally idiotic move that I don't even think the club is dumb enough to make.

With Tex returning next week ... even if they are planning on dropping him, it would make sense to give Fog another round to see if he was just off last week. His Round 1 was good.

Sanity prevails

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would like to know who made this call.

I read somewhere that Burgess doesn't let players play unless their 100% and I was hoping this would stop us from playing our experienced guys that are injured.

It just doesn't make sense for Sloane to play, I even think he shouldn't have been playing last week after declaring he injured himself in the first quarter, but understand that he may have done so in case someone else was seriously injured before making the sub call.

I would like to know who made this call.

I read somewhere that Burgess doesn't let players play unless their 100% and I was hoping this would stop us from playing our experienced guys that are injured.

It just doesn't make sense for Sloane to play, I even think he shouldn't have been playing last week after declaring he injured himself in the first quarter, but understand that he may have done so in case someone else was seriously injured before making the sub call.
Burgess let May play with a torn hamstring.

It's all about circumstances, if it were a GF I think he'd let Sloane play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were smashed in scores from clearances last week. They charged out of their midfield, we hacked. Good to see BACCS getting in early in his usual role of defending club selections before they've even been announced.
So it's not just me that notices other teams getting clearances with all the time in the world and ours always seem hurried/pressured. Good to know.

Looks like both teams will have just one previous showdown medallist - M.Crouch for us, T. Boak for Port.

I'm tipping Rachele as a smokey for the medal.

Believe it or not Crows have kicked 3 more goals than Port so far in 2020.

From Showdown L where we went down by 4 points:

Known outs - Lynch, Mackay, Kelly (delisted/traded), Sloane, Seeds, McPherson (inj.)

Likely outs - Murphy, Hamill, Davis

Possible outs - Thilthorpe, Cook, Himmelberg.

Possible ins - Crouch, Dawson, Sholl, Brown, Hinge, Rachele, Gollant, Rowe, Pedlar, Soligo

The cognitive dissonance required to come up with this post is staggering.

Berg needs to go forever, yet dropping the equally useless Fog would be "totally idiotic"? That's staggering double thought right there.

The games best midfielders all do it.

The issue is ours seem to do it with easier kicks
Agreed
Rushing the ball forward out of packs and turning it over isn't the issue
It's doing it when not under pressure

Berg needs to go forever, yet dropping the equally useless Fog would be "totally idiotic"? That's staggering double thought right there.
We have no better options until tex is back next week, I think most fans would agree that at least fogarty has shown more than Himmelburg thus far.

I think it stems from that Fogarty is perceived to have talent but isn't fit enough / applying himself enough
Whereas Hberg is seen as not having anything

We've gone round the houses on this debate, on why the two players are not in the same situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R3 vs Port Adelaide

Back