Preview Changes Round 14 Vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im really looking forward to tomorrows game to see how we back up from last week.

Not unhappy about Boyd being in.

I have to add my 2 cents to the talk about his kicking.
He may have ok stats, but i noticed earlier in the year, I think it was the Adelaide game where he butchered the ball a few times when we in a good position to score. IIRC it was a pass that missed its target & a shot at goal that went out on the full.
Commentators regularly comment that his errant disposal is what has stopped him from becoming "elite".
Dont get me wrong, like a lot of others, I am thankful for his service to the club & dont mind him as a player, just that he seriously butchers it sometimes.

I guess if you get it as much as he does that you are going to have a higher number of clangers. ;)

Been baffled by selection most weeks this year but not really this week,would have loved Honey to play but the MC was always going to bring Boyd in when right so who else should have missed for Honey? I couldn't really find a bad player last week. Hoping Stringer and Honey play Vfl this week wouldn't be surprised if that is why Darley has been named as an emergency to travel with the team so the other two can stay in Melbourne and play.

I don't think Darley's body size is holding him back the only things I see holding him back is fitness (where i have said in the past will try to link the article later today about our pre-season being that much harder than Gws that he would go home and sleep) and his disposal numbers need to lift as when he gets it he hits a target almost every single time, but at the same time he has been working on his defensive side of his game so i expect him to start getting the balance between the two over the last half of the season would not be surprised if he was a regular next season for us.
Agree, the only possible was Hrovat, but happy for him to get a decent run, he too will be a gun. Honey will get his chance.

Who was Honeychurch going to replace after the weekend's win? He is a small forward. So that probably means only Dahl with a similar role. Cooney? A completely different role. Boyd is Cooney's logical replacement because he knows where to be and what to do.

Picking players on VFL form works if you are replacing like with like. A small forward is quite different to a mid. So what role would we expect him to play?

Honeychurch will get his opportunity when / if Dahl moves up the ground more permanently (at the expense of Wallis or Stevens?), when we have injuries that are favourable to his inclusion, or when we need to tweak our structure (usually as a result of player loss of form or team losses).

I want him to play as much as anyone as he is a lively customer in the mould of Dahlhaus, but it would seem too soon to expect he just goes into the middle at his size and experience. I would think he will begin his career as a small forward and that means waiting for an opportunity to open up.

Im really looking forward to tomorrows game to see how we back up from last week.

Not unhappy about Boyd being in.

I have to add my 2 cents to the talk about his kicking.
He may have ok stats, but i noticed earlier in the year, I think it was the Adelaide game where he butchered the ball a few times when we in a good position to score. IIRC it was a pass that missed its target & a shot at goal that went out on the full.
Commentators regularly comment that his errant disposal is what has stopped him from becoming "elite".
Dont get me wrong, like a lot of others, I am thankful for his service to the club & dont mind him as a player, just that he seriously butchers it sometimes.

I guess if you get it as much as he does that you are going to have a higher number of clangers. ;)

Yes we have a few blokes who can butcher the ball, Boydy is one. We butchered it v the pies at times, but the play on, move it forward creative style of play we did on the weekend allows for these errors. Play conservative and these errors will cut you to ribbons. Boydy is a great inclusion if we take the game on.

Who was Honeychurch going to replace after the weekend's win? He is a small forward. So that probably means only Dahl with a similar role. Cooney? A completely different role. Boyd is Cooney's logical replacement because he knows where to be and what to do.

Picking players on VFL form works if you are replacing like with like. A small forward is quite different to a mid. So what role would we expect him to play?

Honeychurch will get his opportunity when / if Dahl moves up the ground more permanently (at the expense of Wallis or Stevens?), when we have injuries that are favourable to his inclusion, or when we need to tweak our structure (usually as a result of player loss of form or team losses).

I want him to play as much as anyone as he is a lively customer in the mould of Dahlhaus, but it would seem too soon to expect he just goes into the middle at his size and experience. I would think he will begin his career as a small forward and that means waiting for an opportunity to open up.

To be fair Hrovat could have gone to the mid and Honey played forward. Having said that I'm happy enough with the team. Was only going to happen if Boyd was still not 100%.

I hope you don't mind a visit. My Young Bloke is a Dogs supporter, so I watch a bit of them, and I'm not just pissing in your pocket when I say that I enjoy the way the Dogs play.

I wanted to stop by and read some posts on the Port game and leave you with my 5 cents.

You've seriously had the wood on Port in recent years, and you're coming off the best 4 quarter game I've think I've seen under McCartney. I've tipped the Dogs, but to win this one, some of those potential stars on the outside, like Macrae and Bonti, are gunna need to be as good as they were last week.

Port truly do have some elite runners (Ebert, Boak, White, Polak if his playing), but I don't really believe this "Port is fitter than everyone else" business. What Port do have, and it sets them apart more than fitness would, is belief and some genuine match winners - Wingard, Monfries, Gray. The small defenders are perhaps where the Dogs might be stretched. Liam Picken will beat whoever he goes to, but there is only one of him.

Go Dogs!

I'm hoping Port are also a little sore after their encounter with Sydney

playing over there(@ Port) was always going to be tough, if Hawthorn struggled and we won
if last week was one of the upsets of the season, that would be soon changed

Last edited:
Called the Boyd over Honeychurch selection early in the thread & I was right.

McCartney knows he needs to keep winning, and any way you look at it, Boyd improves the quality of this team a lot more than Honeychurch or anyone else out of the side does.

Not that I agree with the decision to include him; I'd rather get some AFL Game-Time into Honeychurch rather than a 32 year old Boyd who has no future with us, however, I'm not criticizing the decision. The selectors want the team to be as competitive as possible & if you keep playing young players with an eye for the future, you risk developing a losing culture like Melbourne did.

Last edited:
I reckon that point would be counted by the dogs having a 6 day break compared to Ports 7 day break.
yes, but I'd argue your game was tougher
just watched it last night actually

I think Polec coming back into the side doesn't help our chances though

I'm not even sure which players will be playing their first game on your home turf, will be a fresh challenge for them

I reckon that point would be counted by the dogs having a 6 day break compared to Ports 7 day break.

That and the fact last week was probably the first full 4 quarter effort the team has put in all year. It wasn't in any way easier than the Port game against Sydney. Plus Port is well known to have a great fitness base. It will be a real test. Hopefully the Dogs can keep it up for a full game again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been baffled by selection most weeks this year but not really this week,would have loved Honey to play but the MC was always going to bring Boyd in when right so who else should have missed for Honey? I couldn't really find a bad player last week. Hoping Stringer and Honey play Vfl this week wouldn't be surprised if that is why Darley has been named as an emergency to travel with the team so the other two can stay in Melbourne and play.

I don't think Darley's body size is holding him back the only things I see holding him back is fitness (where i have said in the past will try to link the article later today about our pre-season being that much harder than Gws that he would go home and sleep) and his disposal numbers need to lift as when he gets it he hits a target almost every single time, but at the same time he has been working on his defensive side of his game so i expect him to start getting the balance between the two over the last half of the season would not be surprised if he was a regular next season for us.

Can he hit targets under pressure?

I'm not surprised Boyd is in this week but I'm a little disappointed Honeychurch isn't... He'll definitely play at some stage this year of that I have no doubt and I love what's being done in the VFL for all our young players. It's the development that they need and will only dividends in the near future..

I thought this week would have been the perfect game to play young Mitch, Port play hard and fast and don't allow you to settle in.... What better way to kick off an AFL career...

I'm not surprised Boyd is in this week but I'm a little disappointed Honeychurch isn't... He'll definitely play at some stage this year of that I have no doubt and I love what's being done in the VFL for all our young players. It's the development that they need and will only dividends in the near future..

I thought this week would have been the perfect game to play young Mitch, Port play hard and fast and don't allow you to settle in.... What better way to kick off an AFL career...

But you can certainly see the reason for not playing Honeychurch. The step up from VFL to AFL is pretty significant and playing a top team makes it all that more difficult. I think it makes sense to ease them in against a lower placed side if we can.

Better hope BRG got the emergency exit seat for the legroom. Economy at his height wouldn't be fun
Lets just say its going to be a LOOONNNG 45mins

What round did we end up bringing Hunter in last year? He was doing just as good, probably better, than Honey all season and had to wait for his turn too, its not the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back