Prediction Changes: Round 15 Vs Essendon + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

But Amiss had 0 goals and only 5 touches. That sounds like a very bad game for a forward. And if we base it on "you know, the game the person played last week" then he really shouldn't be in the team should he? Unless your logic isn't sound?
Why are you doing this?
Why keep deflecting and being disingenuous instead of answering the basic factual questions I asked?
Do you not know where to go to get stats for historical VFL/WAFL/AFL games?

I really disagree with this philosophy. You are talking as if Frederick is one of the champions of the club who has earned the right to a B22 place regardless of form.
There is only a handful of players on the list that get to have 2-3 s**t perfomces in a row without getting dropped. They are the guys that are at the elite level in the comp - Serong, AB, Young, Darcy, Jackson or former champions with flashes of class still like Walters, Fyfe.
These guys don’t play wafl if they have a bad 2 weeks in a row. They have earned the right through elite performances over a decent timeframe, to find their form in the AFL because they are better players than the role playing members of the team. Walters last year was a good example.
Michael Frederick is not in this bracket. No way! He can’t afford two or 3 bad games in a row. By contrast, No one is dropping Serong or Brayshaw after a few weeks of average footy. But Banfield, Hughes, Frederick, Nod, Treacy, Sturt etc??
They don’t get that luxury.
I don’t think Schultz or Switta are so untouchable that they can’t be dropped either after 3 stinker performances in a row.

Also - Your point about people like Sturt and Erasmus “missing the phase” would be fine if we were sitting like Port Adelaide with 11 wins in a row and the list build was complete. But that’s not the case. We sit 13th, we lost by 70 points last week and our team is simply not good enough yet to make any impact on this comp. We frankly HAVE to improve and move beyond some of these personnel we have that are okay, but not good enough.
I personally don’t think the forward unit we have right now is anywhere near good enough to win a flag. You just could not have any trust in guys like Switta, Frederick, Banfield etc to kick clutch goals on GF day. Even Treacy has it all to prove still. Players like Switta have other attributes that could see them play a role in a flag team but we need more goalkicking talent in that forward line. I’m 90% sure Sturt is not good enough either to play in a flag team but the difference is I’m 100% certain Banfield isnt.
I don't think Freddy is invincible, and I don't think MC sees him as invincible either. 2-3 bad games in a row would see him dropped. I just think he's only had two bad games in a row this year, and one of them he was clearly playing injured. Like I mentioned before, he had kicked 9 goals in the 4 games before Melb, Rich, and is currently going at 1.4 goals a game. Only two guys on our team are doing better than that. There's also more leeway with small forwards in terms of what constitutes a bad game. Everyone says it. So what he put up against Richmond was objectively bad, but what he put up against Melbourne was just an average game for a small forward when the ball doesn't fall their way.

Schultz rarely puts up a stinker. If he doesn't get the goals he's applying pressure and collecting the ball much further up the ground. Switta similarly, although he's on thin ice atm due to his inability to finish in front of goal. But he also has versatility in that he can pinch hit in the midfield if needed. Versatility will buy you extra games, as we saw with Banfield and Hughes.

As for your point about Sturt and Erasmus, our entire team is young. You can't argue that we need to play Sturt in a forward line that is already headed by a 19, 20, and 21 year old. I highly doubt that Sturt has a 30 goal season in him as it stands, and I can't see him brining more to the team than any of the players mentioned. Freddy is more versatile, can play on the wing, and offers a point of difference when he's on, and is also a decent set shot. His speed is a huge weapon when he's used properly. I just can't see how you can advocate for Sturt to be played over any of those guys, or how you can be upset that younger players are being chosen over him.

I don't think either Banfield or Sturt would be part of any premiership team. It doesn't have to be one or the other. They're both not good enough. But Banfield isn't playing over Sturt this week. Nor is he going to be sub over Sturt this week. So anything to do with him is redundant.

Why do people always talk about "peak so and so" instead of just, you know, the game the person played last week and why despite that performance it suddenly deserves them being dumped while keeping slugs and underperformers in??

Because I would expect more out of Frederick after some time to rest that ankle than I do out of Sturt

So now we gift games based on prior performance and age instead of actual in game performance across multiple game performance indicators??

Hint - has Freddy ever kicked 50% of our score?? Has Freddy ever been 3rd in tackles? At the same time as being second in goal assists and covering ground across the whole field??

You just keep changing the goal posts to hate on Sturt and defend JLo.
I don't know how to tell you this, but kicking 40% of the team's goals isn't impressive when the team kicks five goals for the match.

You'd have a case if he'd kicked 4 of 7 goals like he could have had, but he didn't.

I don't know how to tell you this, but kicking 40% of the team's goals isn't impressive when the team kicks five goals for the match.

You'd have a case if he'd kicked 4 of 7 goals like he could have had, but he didn't.
Why do you, and all the other Sturt haters /JOM/Hughes/Henry/Ryan defenders keep just quoting the goals, and leave out the other demonstrable things Sturt did far better than all but two or three of our players last week, like tackles, score assists, score involvements or forwards tackling in D50 (ie covering all the ground not just cheating for cheap stats)?

What satisfaction do you get from hating on Sturt?

How can you possibly, possibly defend us being one of less than three teams ever, ever, ever in VFL/WAFL/AFL history, to drop the top scorer, third best tackler and top 10 disposal player?

How? Why do you disregard Sturt so much?
Do you not understand the impact of this selection decision on every other player who has a best ever, best in team ever performance?

Why would anyone except the guaranteed favourites or contracted wonderful specimens ever bother to show up, let alone try after this sort of selection garbage?

FFS, we didn't drop Sturt for Mundy or Pav, we dropped him so we could keep in the mighty awesomeness of performances that is Hughes, JOM and Henry.

This is a selection that reverberates amongst the playing group, just like picking Pearce as captain ahead of Brayshaw / Serong, or picking Mundy as captain ahead of Fyfe.

So he’s a Victorian, who had offers of at least 2, possibly 3 years on the table, likely back in his home state im guessing? But instead chose the uncertainty of a 1 year contract with us, a team he knew he wasn’t in the starting 22 of?

Riiiiight.
When did I say 3 years? Stop being a fanboy poster - he chose to stay with us when he had more cash and better starting opportunities on the table, not 3 years, stop putting words into posts that I never said. Funny you suddenly pipe up again sd under a different account, maybe just post under one account ey?

Switta has 9 goals in 12 games and Sturt has 5 goals in 6 games. Maybe Switta should go up the ground would help with our one paced and unacceptable midfield and Sturt play forward. They are both fast and both put on good pressure. Sturt does however have a longer kick and Sturt has more height in a forward line full of too many mi*#gets

Its a pity Aish is out, he would have been handy to put some attention in to merret. Merret has been in ripping form lately and has torn sides apart, we really should look at tagging him, but who?
I think Brayshaw and Merret will go head to head but I'm more worried about Nic Martin. We have struggled against quality athletic wingman all year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Switta has 9 goals in 12 games and Sturt has 5 goals in 6 games. Maybe Switta should go up the ground would help with our one paced and unacceptable midfield and Sturt play forward. They are both fast and both put on good pressure. Sturt does however have a longer kick and Sturt has more height in a forward line full of too many mi*#gets

Maybe Sturt doesn't have the conditioning to run that much yet?

and top 10 disposal player?
Except Sturt wasnt in the top 10 disposals..... he was ranked 18th for disposals for Freo players....He had 9 disposals at a 55.6% DE, which was the 4th lowest DE of any player on the ground.
Even Banfield, who I think we can all agree was shit. only had one less effective disposal!

Last edited:
Dons coming off the bye. As someone else said, no team has lost to a side coming off the bye except for the swans against the saints, who were also coming off the bye but I’ll bet you we’ll be the first because that’s how we roll.
It's going to really extenuate the melts when we're the first...

Lol. Maybe Sturt just isn’t that good. Just cause he looks a bit like Bayley Fritsch. He ain’t Bayley Fritsch.

Amiss. Treacy. Fyfe. Sturt. You can only pick 3 of them.

Not sure if this has been brought up in this thread b4 but is this Ras n Johnson’s first game together?
Keen to see em both at a centre bounce at some point !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes: Round 15 Vs Essendon + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back