Prediction Changes Round 20 vs. West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. We need to come out and flatten them ruthlessly from the first bounce and suck all hope from the start.
yep, don't let the ball even get into the backline so that not having Pearce is not even a problem :)

Emmett for Banfield. He needs a rocket up the arse and I like Emmett’s aggression against a bunch of thugs who will have only t his game on their mind for the rest of the year.

It's not really about if the substitute will bring the same thing though. It's about how it impacts the whole team. Of course no one is going to bring anything close to what Pearce does in defence. But when he comes out there's a direct replacement in terms of structure. The defence may have to shuffle their prefered roles a bit, but it's easier to cover.

If our midfield is playing well and we're dominating stoppages it's much easier on our defence. If we're getting smashed in clearances then Pearce might save 2-3 goals, but we're giving up a lot more than we would be otherwise if Darcy was playing and we were getting that dominance.

Not to mention the impact it has on Treacy and the rest of our forward line. Sure Voss get's plenty of chances, but they don't mean much when he's missing them all.
Yeah I think dominating "the contest" in finals is far less likely, even with Darcy. Both important, still think Pearce makes everything in the backline really click and makes us "more bettererer" overall

Surely the ngas were all Freo boys

The don
Conrad
Henry

Hogan liked Freo but think he ended up being a crow?
I don’t think Henry has ever been a fan of anything other than puffer jackets and the pussy unlocking powers of looking ripped on Instagram.

Correct re Jesse Bogan.

Emmett for Banfield. He needs a rocket up the arse and I like Emmett’s aggression against a bunch of thugs who will have only t his game on their mind for the rest of the year.
not according to afl.com.u's article on players who have most improved for Freo this year..

Yeo was a big Freo supporter as well.

Weirdly they have drafted a few Freo supporters - Priddis, Yeo, Ginbey - whereas I would doubt many of the WA blokes we have drafted were Freo fans. Nature of the beast, I guess, where 60% of this state are certifiable (but not incurable) dipshits.

Freo supporters picked up by Freo

Cam McCarthy
Michael Johnson
Nathan Wilson
Will Brodie

Can't think of any others.

Van Rooyen and Curtin were Freo people.
Nathan O'Driscoll as well.

I dont think I agree, as good as Draper is, there's no substitute for your borderline AA 28 year old KPD captain. Voss is having like 4 shots on goal a game when he plays and Jackson is still pretty good in the ruck.
Yeh there’s no question here to me
Pearce has probably been one of our top 3 -4 MVP’s this year along with Serong , Treacy and Ryan ( probably Darcy as well )

As much as I want to be positive , losing him is a huge blow
I got n a bit of strife yesterday for injury trolling other teams but I was really just asking the footy gods for an equaliser so we can make the most of our once in a blue moon chance this year

Que Sera Sera

How exactly are the Eagles a bunch of thugs?
Cartoon Monster GIF by Scooby-Doo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The early season injuries to Cox and McDonald enabled Draper to get a decent run of games under his belt before the run up to the finals. Late season injuries to key players are more difficult to adjust to. Wouldn’t want to be replacing Moose with anyone who had only played 2or 3 games.

We had people posting before the last Derby that we'd be 50pts up at 3/4 time and that we'd beat them by the highest Derby margin ever, so as much as I want a thrashing it would probably be better for the team to get a competitive game.

In Rd 19 they (WC) did quite well against Brisbane, who are the form team of the competition, and this week they should get a couple of the players back who were on their injury list, or listed as a test on their injury list. (McGovern, Waterman, Yeo).

They'll have a forward line that would test our match-ups if Waterman is back with Allen and Williams, and Ryan if he plays forward, and they'll have the skeleton of decent backline if McGovern plays with Barrass.

Everything else around that is where they'll struggle to match it, especially with a majority Freo crowd getting stuck into them.

Earlier, I did read some posts bagging Duggan, but I do think he's one of their consistent players who plays with the required competitive intensity. Without him, and if Yeo misses, their midfield is Kelly, Ginbey and Reid, and there's not a lot of back up to that, but it is surprising how similar the teams are going to be from Rd 7 to Rd 21.

If we only make the change of Draper for Pearce, then the changes in personnel in our side will be:

OUT: Pearce, Emmett, Erasmus (sub), Hughes, Johnson
IN: Cox, Frederick, Switkowski, Wagner, Chapman (mostly more run/speed is the plus factor here)

Amiss would also be an IN as he was subbed in the first 5 minutes.

WC would have a lot more out, although apart from their afore-mentioned players, much of it is selection based rather than lack of availability, and arguably they would have at least a couple of better qualified INs this game in Allen and Ryan.

Just shows you how much of winning it is turning up with the right attitude. I think they'll be doing some tackling drills this week given how much it has been highlighted that they didn't have a single tackle inside their forward 50m against St Kilda.

Last edited:
We had people posting before the last Derby that we'd be 50pts up at 3/4 time and that we'd beat them by the highest Derby margin ever, so as much as I want a thrashing it would probably be better for the team to get a competitive game.

In Rd 19 they (WC) did quite well against Brisbane, who are the form team of the competition, and this week they should get a couple of the players back who were on their injury list, or listed as a test on their injury list. (McGovern, Waterman, Yeo).

They'll have a forward line that would test our match-ups if Waterman is back with Allen and Williams, and Ryan if he plays forward, and they'll have the skeleton of decent backline if McGovern plays with Barrass.

Everything else around that is where they'll struggle to match it, especially with a majority Freo crowd getting stuck into them.

Earlier, I did read some posts bagging Duggan, but I do think he's one of their consistent players who plays with the required competitive intensity. Without him, and if Yeo misses, their midfield is Kelly, Ginbey and Reid, and there's not a lot of back up to that, but it is surprising how similar the teams are going to be from Rd 7 to Rd 21.

If we only make the change of Draper for Pearce, then the changes in personnel in our side will be:

IN: Cox, Frederick, Switkowski, Wagner, Chapman (mostly more run/speed is the plus factor here)

WC would have a lot more out, although apart from their afore-mentioned players, much of it is selection based rather than lack of availability, and arguably they would have at least a couple of better qualified INs this game in Allen and Ryan.

Just shows you how much of winning it is turning up with the right attitude. I think they'll be doing some tackling drills this week given how much it has been highlighted that they didn't have a single tackle inside their forward 50m against St Kilda.
"Attitude" is a fairly intangible commodity. I'm sure every AFL player shows up to every game intending to play their best. It only takes a critical mass of the team to be off a few % for an upset or shellacking to take place.

The wildcard we don't have to deal with this time is coming out of a hub situation (not to mention any sort of aftermath resulting from the games in the hub).

"Attitude" is a fairly intangible commodity. I'm sure every AFL player shows up to every game intending to play their best. It only takes a critical mass of the team to be off a few % for an upset or shellacking to take place.

The wildcard we don't have to deal with this time is coming out of a hub situation (not to mention any sort of aftermath resulting from the games in the hub).
Both our heavy defeats at Optus arguably came at a time of emotional letdown (as you say, the two narrow defeats in the hub). Here's hoping for a more orthodox prep this time.

Darcy was at half power that game & Treacy hadn’t fully unlocked beast mode yet.

This will be a good test as WC will be trying everything. I still think if we take our chances early and but on a decent lead we can thrash them. They will give up if pull away.

Surely the ngas were all Freo boys

The don
Conrad
Henry

Hogan liked Freo but think he ended up being a crow?
I read somewhere Henry said he was a Hawthorn supporter.

Same article I read that Jackson had been a weagles supporter as a little tacker but the family couldn’t get seats to their games so got Freo memberships. He subsequently saw the light and was converted. Born again if you like. 😇

Same article had Young as Collingwood and Serong supported Sydney. Angus Brayshaw was Freo but Andy was Port.

Last edited:
We will only have the one obvious change. Unless they decide to rest a player.

If WetToast load up with their veterans, then we will have one change.
If they keep playing the kids, to tank their percentage, to try for pick one or two. Then one player will be managed.

Yeo was a big Freo supporter as well.

Weirdly they have drafted a few Freo supporters - Priddis, Yeo, Ginbey - whereas I would doubt many of the WA blokes we have drafted were Freo fans. Nature of the beast, I guess, where 60% of this state are certifiable (but not incurable) dipshits.

Freo supporters picked up by Freo

Cam McCarthy
Michael Johnson
Nathan Wilson
Will Brodie

Can't think of any others.

Van Rooyen and Curtin were Freo people.
Adam Cerra as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes Round 20 vs. West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back