Preview Changes Round 3 vs. Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe the betting 1.08 hawks 8/1 dogs. I do not expect to win but would have thought we would be in the game for a long period. So betting should be more like 1.35 hawks 3.25 dogs
Nah, $1.15 to $5.50 is about right

Dogs on the line would be a solid bet I reckon if they gave us a 4, 5, 6 goal start

I think the Hawks backline will just be too good for us to get a winning score. Especially if Gibson comes back in.

I expect we'll put in another good showing, but I imagine the Hawks will still get up. Just so strong all over the ground.

The two match-ups that I'm looking forward to seeing are Brad Hill vs Jason Johannisen and Isaac Smith vs Jackson Macrae. No doubt that both teams will be looking for those players respectively to provide that run and carry/link-up play.
You don't think we should try to tag Smith? Wallis is too slow, but perhaps Jong could do it. I'm just not sure if we'd want to risk head to head, because Smith can be very damaging. We'll try to curb his influence I reckon.

Hawthorn have the best raw skills in the league. Their skills won't go to fault under our pressure like it would with pretty much the 16 other teams in the league.

We've won two games with a mixture of improved defensive set up (Richmond), dominance at stoppages (West Coast), and maniac forward pressure causing turnovers (both games). However our actual skills forward of center have been very sloppy, because we might be leading the league massively with % of goals created from turnovers in the forward half, however on the flip side it means that we're creating an extremely low amount of goals from the defensive half, which means that we've been sloppy inside 50, often getting goals from turning it over in our forward half but then forcing a turnover back whilst the ball remains inside our forward half and then getting a goal.

There are far too many very good hawthorn players for us to negate all of them
If we are to win, we have to get them to think about negating us

Picken/wood on rioli/puopolo
Morris on gunston
Talia on roughy
Wallis on Lewis
Jj with hill
Grant with smith

They have no natural match up for stringer, crameri or Dickson

I expect the delivery from half back to decide the game

If we can maintain the manic pressure for the entire game
Anything is possible

Let's pray Sam Mitchell doesn't play
He is too cool under pressure

Hmm. My defensive matchups would be:

Roughead vs Roughead
Moz vs Rioli
Talia vs Gunton
Wood vs Breust
Murph vs Puopolo
Boyd vs resting mid

Hawk's have so many ****ing weapons.

Hmm. My defensive matchups would be:

Roughead vs Roughead
Moz vs Rioli
Talia vs Gunton
Wood vs Breust
Murph vs Puopolo
Boyd vs resting mid

Hawk's have so many ******* weapons.

Reckon these days Rioli might be too quick for Morris, think Moz will take Gunston.

The captain tried - no luck.

Don't care one way or another about their color, I'd just like to see him with a set of boots that have
stops underneath. In both games it looked more like he had skateboard wheels instead of stops. His feet
have repeatedly slid out from under him, costing us either the ball, or a contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll say it again, but if it bleeds….

We now know the Hawks bleed, so it's up to the 22 that take the field on Sunday to make it a gaping wound.

Bring it on.

The way to beat Hawthorn (and this is far, far easier to say than than it is to do) is focus manic pressure on the ball. Don't get carried away with match-ups and run-with roles. Just continue to bring that swarming pressure on any Hawks player with the ball. And try to get defensive numbers into the corridor and not too wide. Essendon forced countless errors by doing just that.

We don't have to turn each Hawthorn disposal into a turnover - just reduce the effectiveness of their disposals by a few percent and their edge will be diminished. The way the team plays will be more important than any individual match-ups. We can't beat Hawthorn one-on-one (yet.) Beveridge has shown that team pressure and team defense can be more important than winning individual contests.

That said, Hawthorn will deserve to be very warm favourites.

Last edited:
Gibson and Spangher should come in to cover String and Crameri.

With Big Boy and Ceglar I can see us keeping Ayce for another week.
I and many would love ace Cordy to deserve a spot
Put simply he remains a liability
Campbell is in solid form and can mark. Exactly how many years will he be waiting for minson to fade. The minno keeps getter stronger and we cannot afford to lose Campbell
Release the beast

You don't think we should try to tag Smith? Wallis is too slow, but perhaps Jong could do it. I'm just not sure if we'd want to risk head to head, because Smith can be very damaging. We'll try to curb his influence I reckon.

If I was Luke Beveridge and I was coaching against the Hawks I would put a tag on Brad Hill. Although Isaac Smith is the better footballer, Hill is the more dangerous/damaging player forward of center. We saw against Essendon on Sunday when Hill was completely shut out of the game in the first half we struggled to generate any run on the outside and we couldn't get any inside 50s, but as soon as Hill started to lift and get his hands on the footy in that second half we clawed our way back. It just goes to show how much teams rate him and how they go to work to try and stop his influence on games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back