Changes / Team for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

There is something to be said for the out going captain stepping aside a year or two before he plans to retire, to smooth the transition for the next captain, and also to be there to provide advice and "mentoring" (for lack of a better word) for the new captain. It may also provide a different perspective on things (although, considering the structure of the leadership group at the AFC, this may not be the case, I'm not sure).

This scenario doesn't really have much to do with the outgoing captains leadership, which will always be there while he's in the team, but rather aiding the transition for the next captain before the outgoing one retires (which I would presume Goody is going to do in the next year or two).

There is also the chance (slim though it may be, seeing Goody is in the AA squad) that the reduction in responsibility will bring about improved form (ala tredrea)

I think it does because as we all know, it’s the players who votes on the leadership group and then the captaincy. The way I see it, unless Simon Goodwin says he doesn’t want to be captain, his leadership quality from years past will assist him in getting the votes needed to retain the position.

His peers select him captain as they want to be lead by him. The club doesn’t select him as he is the best looking or most media savvy, he is selected captain by his peer in the playing group. This is why i said his leadership qualities are not a problem.

The basic premise of what you are saying, I agree with and would have no problem with a different captain but just don’t see it changing unless Simon Goodwin doesn’t want the captaincy.

I think it does because as we all know, it’s the players who votes on the leadership group and then the captaincy. The way I see it, unless Simon Goodwin says he doesn’t want to be captain, his leadership quality from years past will assist him in getting the votes needed to retain the position.

His peers select him captain as they want to be lead by him. The club doesn’t select him as he is the best looking or most media savvy, he is selected captain by his peer in the playing group. This is why i said his leadership qualities are not a problem.

The basic premise of what you are saying, I agree with and would have no problem with a different captain but just don’t see it changing unless Simon Goodwin doesn’t want the captaincy.

Oh ok, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise that was the way it was done. In that case, I agree with you, I don't really see anyone picking someone else ahead of Goody in terms of captaincy unless he eliminates himself from the race.

I don’t know what your point is?

Both are in there clubs best 22 players. Don’t confuse a big footy cliché and the actual truth in saying Maxwell and Harley are not good players.

Not a chance, Harley is not in their best 22 right now, too slow injury prone but they have kept him on as what he provides off field is very valuable. Maxwell is there captain purely due to his leadership ability and even Collingwood supporters questioned that as he was not in their best 22.

P.S. pls note signature as I have changed my name due to constantly being mistaken for a crazy little teenaged girl

would martin be promoted?

i've heard it alot, but with his injury he will be unlikely to get any afl games next year, so why not just save the $ in his salary and keep him as a rookie for one more year.
Martin is a keeper even if won't play any games next year. We have to make a decision as a 2nd year rookie. Just means with a long-term injury gives us an option of lifting a 2010 rookie if need be.

Given this is a poor draft depth-wise, we don't want to go any deeper than the 4th round. Ideally we would trade players to go no deeper than 3rd round.

Gill -delist
Gallman - delist
Shirley - delist/retire/trade
Burton - delist/retire/trade
McLeod/Edwards - retire (if both retire, then Shirley may get a lifeline)

Martin - upgrade

I would not trade a player unless they want out. Particularly I would be keen to keep Reilly & Douglas with the loss of experienced midfielders. Would only consider trading a ruckman - talk about Griffin, but I would not rule out Maric as may be able to get some decent value with some clubs in need of a ready-made ruckman. If S Burgoyne really wants out, could form part of a trade as they need a replacement for Lade.

I would not trade a player unless they want out. Particularly I would be keen to keep Reilly & Douglas with the loss of experienced midfielders. Would only consider trading a ruckman - talk about Griffin, but I would not rule out Maric as may be able to get some decent value with some clubs in need of a ready-made ruckman. If S Burgoyne really wants out, could form part of a trade as they need a replacement for Lade.

I think if we threw in a Reilly, Douglas etc they might except this deal but i would want an exchange of 1st or 2nd round picks

If the big 4 all stay for another year i guess tough calls have to be made on others.

I think you can genuinely make a case for all of these players.

Now i love the bloke as my avatar would suggest but will both Shirley and Doughty be victims here?

It will be hard to replace a Goodwins ball winning ability or a Mcleods disposal or a Burtons creativitity. But you have to ask yourself can we replace Doughty's consistency and doggedness (no pun intended) more easily. Can we replace a tagger of Shirleys ilk.

But if this is about clearing room on the salary cap I guess the tough call will still have to be made. Of all 4 I think Goody just has to stay. He gets so much of the ball and delivers it inside 50 deep and accurately on a regular basis.

If the big 4 stay i think we need to have a minimum cull of 4-5 players.

I guess the two no brainers for the chop are Gallman and Gill. Kite could be shown the door and Lee might get an Obst like send off. If we dont prune our list now it isn't gonna be any easier next year when we have 4 retirements all at once in a compromised draft.

On a different note you would have thought Griffin would have made his intentions clear by now if he wanted to leave.

Doughty's not going anywhere. He was given a 2-year contract at the end of 2008 and elevated to the leadership group over the summer. If we lose both Shirley & Doughty together we lose 85% of our tagging ability (Sloane is unproven, VB can "run with" but can't "stop").

Gill & Gallman are gone. Everyone else is hanging on the outcome of trade week. If we lose Douglas, Reilly & Griffin, then the odds are that that will be all - assuming they're not replaced by inbound players.

Next on the chopping block would be Shirley, followed by Kite, Burton and Lee - probably in that order (though I wouldn't bet my house on it).

.....................................................................................................
If the big 4 stay ................................ it isn't gonna be any easier next year when we have 4 retirements all at once in a compromised draft.

That point you make there is not strictly correct.....because 2/4 are on our veterans list, consequently if/when all 4 retire then we do not (and indeed cannot) replace them with picks in the national draft - instead we would only have a main list of 38 and choose 2 extra rookies. (and only require 2 picks in a main draft).

This will happen regardless because after these 4 veterans, we will have nobody eligible to go onto the veterans list until 2013 (Johncock/Thompson).

Heard on Channel 9 that Burton has been offered a 1 year deal, looks like he's around for 2010. Not suprising really, we backed him after his knee reco, it'd be harsh to delist him after 6 or so games, otherwise I doubt they wouldv'e gone to that effort to get him firing this year. 2010 always had to be on Adelaide's mind for Burton if he didn't suffer any major setback when he came back, and half descent form.

here's my effort for round one selection in 2010:

FF: Walker Tippett Douglas

HF: Porps McKernan Knights

C: Mackay Danger Otten

HB: McLeod Bock VB

FB: Johncock Rutten Davis

R: Moran Thompson Vince

Bench: Sloane Goodwin Maric/Sellar Cook

EMG: Doughty Burton Symes Reilly

I think that we should keep all of our veterans for one more year and instead of playing them for 20 matches each for the season, give them 15 games each allowing for our younger players to get more gametime. e.g Armstrong, Martin (when he comes back), Sloane and Cook. I think that we should get games into Sloane and Cook as from what I have seen over the last year means they have quality written all over them. Not saying I don't rate Symes, Doughty or Reilly but i think we should be looking three to four years down the track where we will be peaking, somewhere near when our younger players average age is 22-23. In my team, Walker gets first crack over Burton and Hentschel because of talent alone. But, Walker needs a solid preseason and PLEASE get some fitness into him, i think that is where he struggled this season. Get him fit and the days where he doesn't chase will be very few. I like the youth in this side but also like the quality of every player in there, they are earning their spots, not just because they are young ala Richmond of Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it seems that we can continue to benefit from the fab4 next year. They have a lot to offer the younger players as they develop both on and off the field. Goodwin and Macka in particular had great 2nd halves of the year. Birdman needs a full preseason to get back to his best but has shown wonderful smarts and agility despite being out for a year.
IMO the players to go are Gallman, Gill, Shirley and Stevens.
Gallman has not shown enough advancement to warrant continuing.
Gilly breaks down too often and the current crop of players are more skillful, less risky.
Shirls is a great tagger but too one dimensional, and Dogger has shown excellent negating skills and wins plenty of his own ball to the extent that he can take the tagging role even better than Shirls.
Stevens has been somewhat of a hero in terms of taking on major team roles in the forward line and back line - fantastic team man - but Hentschel can do the job better and we now have Phil Davis as a developing swing man as back up.
I'm really looking forward to the ongoing development of Sloane, McKernon, Petrenko, Armstrong, Schmidt, Cook, Sellar, Young, Kite and Henderson as they push for inclusion in this seriously good team. :thumbsu:

ROUND 1, 2010
JOHNCOCK RUTTEN DAVIS
OTTEN BOCK GOODWIN
MACKAY VAN BERLO SYMES
KNIGHTS HENTSCHEL BURTON
DANGERFIELD TIPPETT WALKER

1st ruck: MARIC VINCE PORPLYZIA

I/C BENCH: MORAN REILLY THOMPSON DOUGHTY

I'm not seeing how the team in round 1, 2010 is going to be any different from Semi Final, 2009 barring injuries, the possible departure of Shirley, and the possible return of Moran and van Berlo.
so you're saying that even with Bock back and healthy, he's not good enough for our team :rolleyes:

I'm not seeing how the team in round 1, 2010 is going to be any different from Semi Final, 2009 barring injuries, the possible departure of Shirley, and the possible return of Moran and van Berlo.

Probably won't be a massive change in the side, but what will see is improvement from players such as Vince, Tippett, Dangerfield, Otten, Mackay, Walker should be a permanent fixture as well as our ruck division hopefully maturing a bit.

Considering that Davis, Mckernan, Petrenko, Walker, Sloane, Armstrong, Martin, and to a lesser extent Young spent most (if not all) their time in the SANFL this year.
Added to this Dangerfield, Otten, Tippett, Knights, Vince, and Mckay still have much room for improvement.
And Thompson, Van Berlo, Bock, Rutten, Johncock, and Porplyzia are all deadset guns that will still be around for years to come.

One can't help but feel something special is brewing down at West Lakes:)

Personally I think that Doughty (best year yet), and Edwards (Still one of our best, Never seems to get injured despite age) deserve to be retained.
Question marks loom over Goodwin, and McLeod. In reality one of the two should go. Perhaps even both.
Burton, and Shirley should have already cleaned out their lockers.

The obvious three up for trade (Reilly, Douglas, Griffin), as well as Stevens (great player but becoming obsolete with the emergence of Davis, Mckernan, and even Sellar). In saying that if the right offer came for Sellar I for one happily take it.
A new Crumber seems to be high on the agenda, however we seem to be lacking in Hard Ball gets since Hudson left, this too should be adressed.

If Goodwin is retained he should resign from captaincy, Van Berlo and Rutten the obvious choices. A Co-Captain scenario doesn't seem out of the question.
Keep Craig for a few more years; perhaps groom Viney in the same fashion as Buckley or Longmire.

Considering that Davis, Mckernan, Petrenko, Walker, Sloane, Armstrong, Martin, and to a lesser extent Young spent most (if not all) their time in the SANFL this year.
Added to this Dangerfield, Otten, Tippett, Knights, Vince, and Mckay still have much room for improvement.
And Thompson, Van Berlo, Bock, Rutten, Johncock, and Porplyzia are all deadset guns that will still be around for years to come.

One can't help but feel something special is brewing down at West Lakes:)

Personally I think that Doughty (best year yet), and Edwards (Still one of our best, Never seems to get injured despite age) deserve to be retained.
Question marks loom over Goodwin, and McLeod. In reality one of the two should go. Perhaps even both.
Burton, and Shirley should have already cleaned out their lockers.

The obvious three up for trade (Reilly, Douglas, Griffin), as well as Stevens (great player but becoming obsolete with the emergence of Davis, Mckernan, and even Sellar). In saying that if the right offer came for Sellar I for one happily take it.
A new Crumber seems to be high on the agenda, however we seem to be lacking in Hard Ball gets since Hudson left, this too should be adressed.

If Goodwin is retained he should resign from captaincy, Van Berlo and Rutten the obvious choices. A Co-Captain scenario doesn't seem out of the question.
Keep Craig for a few more years; perhaps groom Viney in the same fashion as Buckley or Longmire.
Cool story bro. :rolleyes:

Goodwin was our only AA representative this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes / Team for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back