Changes v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Tendai and Kep play important roles for the team. They both work extremely hard in creating space - they are team players and almost sacrificial anodes. I have not been a fan of MZ's tackling all year but he stuck a few important ones in that game.

I thought Kep had one of his better games for the year. I am sure most that will review the game will see how much these boys actually contribute. I can not say enough about how much of better team across half forward we are with Kep in the team. He is a great link player for us and he has some footy smarts about him. He is the 3rd tallest player in our team (199cm \ 6'5) and the second heaviest. (101kg) For a bloke this size he is extremely mobile, and extremely athletic, and he is good with the footy on the deck.

Kep has played most games in a forward line for Freo that is the best in our clubs history IMO. I thought he was solid and there is no way I would drop him. Same goes for Mzungu, his running into space for the team is inspiring. He can kick a goal and he is good in traffic. There are elements of his game that can be improved but at this stage of the season he has earnt his spot in the team. End of story.

Tendai and Kep play important roles for the team. They both work extremely hard in creating space - they are team players and almost sacrificial anodes. I have not been a fan of MZ's tackling all year but he stuck a few important ones in that game.

I thought Kep had one of his better games for the year. I am sure most that will review the game will see how much these boys actually contribute. I can not say enough about how much of better team across half forward we are with Kep in the team. He is a great link player for us and he has some footy smarts about him. He is the 3rd tallest player in our team (199cm \ 6'5) and the second heaviest. (101kg) For a bloke this size he is extremely mobile, and extremely athletic, and he is good with the footy on the deck.

Kep has played most games in a forward line for Freo that is the best in our clubs history IMO. I thought he was solid and there is no way I would drop him. Same goes for Mzungu, his running into space for the team is inspiring. He can kick a goal and he is good in traffic. There are elements of his game that can be improved but at this stage of the season he has earnt his spot in the team. End of story.

I understand what your saying, but If your only value to the team is that you create space, well... anyone can do that. I think lower could do it but add something else as well.... anyway, Im really splitting hairs here. we just beat GEELONG at THE G in a FINAL!!!!!!!

He doesnt get the ball often enough for a midfielder, and when he does he butchers it, or doesnt kick to advantage. Ive been screaming for nick Lower to get in to our team for the entire second half of the year, obviously Ross doesnt rate him which is a shame, because finals is all about contested footy and toughness, lower has that in spades. People criticize his kicking, but his kicking is no worse than mzungu's. Lower would be a tougher, slower, clearance winning version of mzungu. But i have accepted that this will not happen. These threads are as often as not about what we would like to see rather than what we will see, so that is what i would like to see.

what we WILL see

Out: Nil
In: Nil

Mzungu's stats were: hardly inspiring. if we have a better option in the wafl, id like to see us use it

K H D M HO T FF FA G B DT
5 5 10 3 0 2 1 1 0 1 41

Stats, schmats!!

Bullshit way of analysing a players game.

I have just watched a replay and while it wasn't MZ's greatest game, he threw himself into every contest and was hardly a liability with his disposal. And he is hardly soft.

He's a role player and he does it very well.

Stats, schmats!!

Bullshit way of analysing a players game.

I have just watched a replay and while it wasn't MZ's greatest game, he threw himself into every contest and was hardly a liability with his disposal. And he is hardly soft.

He's a role player and he does it very well.

like i said, its not what will happen, its just what i would do and its splitting hairs really given that we just recorded our finest win.

Kep has played most games in a forward line for Freo that is the best in our clubs history IMO. I thought he was solid and there is no way I would drop him. .

I agree with what you say. We did get towelled up a bit in the ruck though when Kep went in. Clarke is a better athlete and better ruck, Kep is a better forward and smarter player and less likely to drop his head in a game which Clarke can do.
Possession= 9/10 of the law so in my book Kep stays. But I won't wail if he is dropped for Clarke, especially if we see the need to get more out of a back up ruck. Would put both ahead of Griff at the moment.

I understand what your saying, but If your only value to the team is that you create space, well... anyone can do that. I think lower could do it but add something else as well.... anyway, Im really splitting hairs here. we just beat GEELONG at THE G in a FINAL!!!!!!!

That is fair enough. I guess the thing is that if players are given roles and they do them then that is a good thing. Certainly Mzungu is replaceable by players on our list, howerver at this point he is fulfilling his role in the team and most would say he is doing a good job of it. I rate Lower and think it is a shame he has not been able to get back in the team after some outstanding WAFL form, but at the same time it is a positive for the club.

I would hope your club isn't thinking it'll be that easy, otherwise you will get a rude shock. Our effort against Sydney was only bad because we were extremely wasteful, I don't expect that from the side 2 weeks in a row after not putting in pathetic efforts twice in a row all season. Rutten will go to Pav and has done the job before, we can cover Talia's absence.

I see no reason as to why we will lose this game, but I also can see why Freo fans are confident, can't wait!

Mate, you have beaten us twice this year, why would anyone be thinking it will be easy.

He doesnt get the ball often enough for a midfielder, and when he does he butchers it, or doesnt kick to advantage. Ive been screaming for nick Lower to get in to our team for the entire second half of the year, obviously Ross doesnt rate him which is a shame, because finals is all about contested footy and toughness, lower has that in spades. People criticize his kicking, but his kicking is no worse than mzungu's. Lower would be a tougher, slower, clearance winning version of mzungu. But i have accepted that this will not happen. These threads are as often as not about what we would like to see rather than what we will see, so that is what i would like to see.

what we WILL see

Out: Nil
In: Nil

Mzungu's stats were: hardly inspiring. if we have a better option in the wafl, id like to see us use it

K H D M HO T FF FA G B DT
5 5 10 3 0 2 1 1 0 1 41
Uurghh.. We don't need another inside mid, we need a wingman, a runner, and one who knows where to run and carry and deliver at that. Lower does not play this role or he might be in the side at the minute. I'd hardly discount his omission at the pointy end of this year as not being rated by Ross. If anything, we're short of skilled wingmen on our list.

Uurghh.. We don't need another inside mid, we need a wingman, a runner, and one who knows where to run and carry and deliver at that. Lower does not play this role or he might be in the side at the minute. I'd hardly discount his omission at the pointy end of this year as not being rated by Ross. If anything, we're short of skilled wingmen on our list.

if there is one thing that you can never have too much of, it is ball winning midfielders.

anyway, ive said what i would do, no point having an argument during a glorious weekend like this..... if only north had of gotten there shit together

I
heh, thanks for that clip by the way, got to see my old man and brother waving the flag and cheering along.... Moos got over there while im stuck working.

anyway.

Out:
Mzungu

In:
Lower

If mcpharlin is declared fit, which he shouldnt be, then he comes in for silvagni. hamstrings are 21 day injuries, what has it been? 7 or 8, and come friday it will be 12 or 13... would be crazy to risk being a player down early on in this game

I empathise with you having a view different from the masses here, but I disagree with your assessment of Mzungu.
His tackling was the best I have seen from him, his contested ball efforts were first class & his courage after being taken out by Kelly, only to run back with the flight a minute or two later was inspiring.
For mine it was Pearce who looked out of his depth with fumbles, slow decision making and general poor play, which was somewhat redeemed by a couple of trademark, long kicks; which in my opinion go a long way towards the perception that he is contributing effectively.
I think Neale would be an upgrade on Pearce, but I am ready for those wanting to refute that. :thumbsu:

I

I empathise with you having a view different from the masses here, but I disagree with your assessment of Mzungu.
His tackling was the best I have seen from him, his contested ball efforts were first class & his courage after being taken out by Kelly, only to run back with the flight a minute or two later was inspiring.
For mine it was Pearce who looked out of his depth with fumbles, slow decision making and general poor play, which was somewhat redeemed by a couple of trademark, long kicks; which in my opinion go a long way towards the perception that he is contributing effectively.
I think Neale would be an upgrade on Pearce, but I am ready for those wanting to refute that. :thumbsu:

I also think that Neale will be an upgrade on Pearce but at present Pearce is a better player that can obviously hit the scoreboard outside 50. It wasn't his best game last night but he has played his position/ job for the team so well this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No changes, unless forced. Sure, it's a six day turn around, and there will be a few sore bodies, but I don't think it's very wise to tinker too much with a winning formula.

Also, wouldn't dream about rushing McPharlin back, exactly the sort of move that destroyed our season last year. Back six is clearly organised enough to absorb his loss, McPhee in particular was phenomenal.

After watching the replay tonight I think Spurr still has a lot of work to do in the off season to improve his kicking.
It wasn't that bad to consider dropping him alone on it, but maybe Suban could play his role for a full game and get someone like Neale or Sutcliffe as the sub to perform in thier home state and add some zip.

No Idea about the dimensions but 'possible showers' according to BOM

AAMI always strikes me as farkin windy too.

No doubt about it, always seems to be squally when we play. Hopefully doesn't influence our goal kicking too much, although you can't get much worse than Adelaide's effort yesterday.

Not too fussed about the rain, I think wet weather actually suits our style of play better than the crows. Albeit, I'm pretty much just going off the Richmond win earlier in the season. I imagine Adelaide would probably adapt much better than the tiges given their contested approach.

Did you hear how loud that small contingent on the 2nd level behind you where?
Kudos to whoever was on the 2nd level of the Olympic stand. :thumbsu:
Yeah, I was there in N54, so much purple in the Olympic Stand. I had thought I'd be sitting with Cats all around me.

Great job on the banner Seppo and the chanting. Unbelievable game!

As far as this Mzungu debate goes ... it has been said by others, but you cannot replace Mzungu with Lower. We need Mzungu's gut running across the ground. Even if he doesn't win much ball, he is obviously helping the team balance. If Lower was to play, it would only be due to an injury to an inside mid.

Lower's attack on the ball/man/contest is great, but these days all of our players are doing that. The strengths in Lower's game (relative to our other players) which existed in the past ... it isn't really much of a factor anymore. There was not a single second during the first final where I even thought about Lower, let alone thought, "geez, we could do with Lower out there tonight."

As for McPharlin, he should not play. If we gave him every chance to get up for the Hawthorn game (if we were so lucky to make it through), then we have about the only player in the whole comp who is capable of shutting Franklin down. We can't risk that against Adelaide. If we aren't good enough to beat the Crows with the side that beat Geelong, then we won't be good enough against Hawthorn irrespective of who plays.

I'm not convinced Suban is the sub of choice.

Roberton in would be my only minor tinker

Regular season, I'd go with that too, or maybe even Roberton for Spurr, but you've got to back the boys who've got the job done to this point, especially in the finals.

Same goes with Keps. I think in time, Clarke will become good enough to play Keps role better, but right now, Keps is getting the job done.

Baring injury, no changes.

Speaking of which, the only question marks that I saw come out of that game:

- Pav (who will play unless his leg has fallen off)
- Hill (who seemed to pick up a shoulder and ankle problem and I suspect played with an injection or two)
- Balla (who came off looking a mess late in the game, knock to the face/head I suspect)

All should come up OK, but other than that, I think we were fairly 'in the clear'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back