Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

The talk about tactical genius has always had me a bit baffled when it comes to coaches on game day.

Let's be realistic... the coaches look at match ups, and make decisions 3 or 4 days from game day. The players study up the patterns and movements, strengths and weaknesses of their opponents, and by and large play on instinct and muscle memory of the system they have played for 23 games prior that season.

Occasionally, a specific player gets a specific role that might be new or different. It's pretty rare in reality.

Yes I too have been critical at times of Fages's blind faith in his players, but it's hardly tactical genius by Scott or anyone else to shift a player on game day to a new role or new player - because that's pretty much the only lever you have by that stage.

And 99% of the time it's driven out of pure necessity not genius.

Scott will almost certainly have a couple of strange match ups. And Fages will almost certainly give our boys plenty of time to sort it out for themselves. You can bank on it.

The bigger issue to me is clash of styles - same as the GWS game - not a specific "move".

And the end of the year one style will have one a GF... hopefully it's ours.

Did anyone see much vision of Thursday? Interested if any of Neale, Payne or Hipwood actually trained rather than jogged laps?

Yesterday I was starting to feel pretty apprehensive about this game.

Today I’m just starting to shit myself. **** I wish they’d just bounce the ball.

Anyone else feeling the same?
My MO is the closer we get the worse we feel.

There is something about this year given where we have come back from - it will feel like such a waste if we get rolled. But it will be such unbridled joy if we get up.

Feels like a granny somehow?

I thought once the cats one in week one the order of difficulty for us would be 1. Giants 2. Cats 3. Granny. All the more so given we will face another interstate team

I just really hope we haven’t spent our petrol tickets. The first final being an easy one surely helps

Good start is huge. We’ve won 20 first quarters this year but lost our first since the bye last and in pretty poor fashion.

Today I’m just starting to shit myself. **** I wish they’d just bounce the ball.

I haven't required an adult diaper but yes I have the normal pre game nerves, one minute I feel confident the next pessimistic.

However I am bullishly confident that if we bring our best intensity to the contest we will win, we have far too many offensive weapons in our side to be beaten if the defensive side of our game is in tip top shape.

Yes. I love these discussions (I can't stay away) but they build the anxiety. TBH I just want the final siren with the Lions in front so we can get to the meaningful game.

Please please please

Yeah, Geelong in Prelims coached by Chris Scott have either been white hot or really flat. Unfortunately in our 2020 & 2022 Prelims we've ran into the white hot version of the Cats. Our luck with them surely has to be different the 3rd time. But obviously we need to do our part and bring the intensity and focus to win.
I'd give more credit to the Geelong players coming out as the old men that they were and ran over and through us.
It felt like the last harah for a few of their boys.
Can we return the favour?

I am fairly calm about the game as we are going up against the best coach of all time. Nobody can combat Scott's 3D chess moves so we are waiting on the off chance God King Scott makes a small error which he never does. It is why Geelong have not lost in 2024.

My MO is the closer we get the worse we feel.

There is something about this year given where we have come back from - it will feel like such a waste if we get rolled. But it will be such unbridled joy if we get up.

Feels like a granny somehow?

I thought once the cats one in week one the order of difficulty for us would be 1. Giants 2. Cats 3. Granny. All the more so given we will face another interstate team

I just really hope we haven’t spent our petrol tickets. The first final being an easy one surely helps

Good start is huge. We’ve won 20 first quarters this year but lost our first since the bye last and in pretty poor fashion.

On the flip side we are battle hardened while the Cats have had the two weeks off and lose some momentum as a result. The extra week off has taken away the key advantage of finishing top 4.

I wish they'd just declare us the winner to be honest.

On the flip side we are battle hardened while the Cats have had the two weeks off and lose some momentum as a result. The extra week off has taken away the key advantage of finishing top 4.
Yep , Every week they have been sitting back in Melbourne getting weaker while we have been squatting in the bush , fighting, getting stronger ,battle hardened.
Time to run through them like ther're not there.
Payback.

Just getting exited alright. :D

Max Holmes trained away from the group due to illness for the Cats. Expected to play but might not be 100%.

Steven King had a heart problem and had to go to hospital. Hope he’s okay and can recover in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max Holmes trained away from the group due to illness for the Cats. Expected to play but might not be 100%.

Steven King had a heart problem and had to go to hospital. Hope he’s okay and can recover in time.
One of their most important players and that's because he is full of run. The fact he is training though suggests he is okay - when they miss training altogether that usually means they will be below par. Still up for training is more about not infecting others.

Season 6 Good Luck GIF

Do it for Fagan pls.

I think the weather overall is looking better for our kick-mark game.

Chance of rain at time of bounce is 30% BUT the expected rain for the day is less than 1mm. So it's highly unlikely any real rain will fall. Chance of rain goes down to 0% by 7pm.

Wind is between 8-13kmh for the match. That's not much at all in the sheltered MCG. It was quite gusty vs the giants which also made it feel much colder

temp 16 degrees down to 14 degrees by the end.

Open training today MCG 3.45pm

I’m heading in with 3KZ is Football Jnr to welcome the team to their home away from home. Should be fun 🦁 🤩
Entry via Gate 1

I think the weather overall is looking better for our kick-mark game.

Chance of rain at time of bounce is 30% BUT the expected rain for the day is less than 1mm. So it's highly unlikely any real rain will fall. Chance of rain goes down to 0% by 7pm.

Wind is between 8-13kmh for the match. That's not much at all in the sheltered MCG. It was quite gusty vs the giants which also made it feel much colder

temp 16 degrees down to 14 degrees by the end.
The dryer the better for us i recon.
You get a fair result if it is relatively dry.
A fair result would be the Lions by 19 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back