Prediction Changes v Hawthorn (Round 18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Woah woah woah.

Easy Snuff, you're opinion is the one I respect the most.

I definitely wasn't suggesting we drop Jye, in fact I'm gunna delete the post now for even considering it.

I was just floating the idea, trying to get his confidence back up again so he can be the 70 goal a year FF we all know he can be.

But if everybody thinks whatever his goal kicking issues may be, or even if he has any goal kicking issues, can be solved at an AFL level then I'm in agreement with them.

It has just looked to me over the last couple of weeks with missing some gettable shots on goal and his general body language, that he has been out of sorts. But maybe that's more me than him.

Sorry again guys for bringing it up. Forget I said anything.
I wished you hadn't deleted your post, but I think a lot of the opposite views were based on the lack of value others would see Jye getting from WAFL and the perspective that he actually hasn't been playing badly, just not finishing like he can.

There's nothing wrong with offering up a scenario or considering different options, plenty of others had floated Voss replacing Amiss.
In my mind it's a positive overall because Voss has been a lot better than I expected, he's been valuable depth and not in the way I expected.
All I saw of him before was essentially as a medium forward despite his height, yet he's either shown more or developed a lot because he's been making the contests and getting good looks from his leading.

I wished you hadn't deleted your post, but I think a lot of the opposite views were based on the lack of value others would see Jye getting from WAFL and the perspective that he actually hasn't been playing badly, just not finishing like he can.

There's nothing wrong with offering up a scenario or considering different options, plenty of others had floated Voss replacing Amiss.
In my mind it's a positive overall because Voss has been a lot better than I expected, he's been valuable depth and not in the way I expected.
All I saw of him before was essentially as a medium forward despite his height, yet he's either shown more or developed a lot because he's been making the contests and getting good looks from his leading.
This 100%.

Hamann188 Don't let us doubt yourself mate, I get roasted on here all the time for my whacky shit

This may be controversial but if Walker is fit, I'd let him earn his spot via Peel.

I'm liking what I've seen from Wagner and I know some are down on Aish, but despite having to play multiple different roles he's been better this year than most give him credit for.

I know some will say that Walker provides more run from the backline than Aish but I'm not convinced that's true.

It's Apples Vs Oranges V Mandarins but please consider the following comparison of this years' stats...

Disposals
Aish 18.7 v Walker 13.3 v Wagner 14.8

DE%
Aish 79.1 v Walker 76.7 v Wagner 81.1

Clangers
Aish 1.7 v Walker 2.2 v Wagner 1.4

Turnovers
Aish 2.4 v Walker 2.9 v Wagner 3.0

Intercepts
Aish 4.3 v Walker 4.1 v Wagner 1.6

1%ers
Aish 0.9 v Walker 2.1 v Wagner 0.8

Rebound 50s
Aish 2.9 v Walker 2.1 v Wagner 2.4

Score Involvements
Aish 3.8 v Walker 2.3 v Wagner 2.6

Metres Gained
Aish 289 v Walker 177 v Wagner 360

Walker is a great 1 v 1 defender on fast smalls, hence the only stat category he leads in the above comparison is 1%ers. Though I'm not convinced he's better one on one than Wagner or Aish.

If people want walker in for his defensive prowess on super quick smalls then cool. (Maybe Bolton wouldnt have gotten off the hook if Walker had played on him?).

But please don't suggest that Walker provides significant bounce from defence. If we want more attack from D50, Walker is the 3rd best of the 3 options.

This may be controversial but if Walker is fit, I'd let him earn his spot via Peel.

I'm liking what I've seen from Wagner and I know some are down on Aish, but despite having to play multiple different roles he's been better this year than most give him credit for.

I know some will say that Walker provides more run from the backline than Aish but I'm not convinced that's true.

It's Apples Vs Oranges V Mandarins but please consider the following comparison of this years' stats...

Disposals

DE%

Clangers

Turnovers

Intercepts

1%ers

Rebound 50s

Score Involvements

Metres Gained

Walker is a great 1 v 1 defender on fast smalls, hence the only stat category he leads in the above comparison is 1%ers. Though I'm not convinced he's better one on one than Wagner or Aish.

If people want walker in for his defensive prowess on super quick smalls then cool. (Maybe Bolton wouldnt have gotten off the hook if Walker had played on him?).

But please don't suggest that Walker provides significant bounce from defence. If we want more attack from D50, Walker is the 3rd best of the 3 options.

Interesting to see it context like that.

Think we should be looking at Walks for a front half role. But really the only position up there is Banners so.....

Could be a good sub, but then I don't think Sonny gets dropped.

Getting bloody tough right now to fit everyone in.

Disposals

DE%

Clangers

Turnovers

Intercepts

1%ers

Rebound 50s

Score Involvements

Metres Gained

The way i look at it:

Shai Bolton had 16 disposals and 8 shots on goal (4.3) on the weekend. Does he have that impact with Walker in the side? I would imagine not.
Dylan Moore has kicked 26 goals thus far in 2024. I'd imagine he is less likely to add a significant amount to that number with Walker in the side then if Walker isn't in the side.

If Walks is fit he walks in IMO.

The way I see it we have 9 'best 22 quality' defenders fighting for 7 spots.

Gives us the ability to manage players with minor niggles and choose the best fit for opponent needs.

I'll be bummed to see Walker, Wagner or Aish miss out (particularly in September) but it's a very good problem to have!

Disposals

DE%

Clangers

Turnovers

Intercepts

1%ers

Rebound 50s

Score Involvements

Metres Gained

It was pretty evident how badly we missed Walker on the weekend with Bolton running riot for a while. If Aish was in the form he was in last year than he's clearly ahead of the other two. Reality is that Aish's form has dropped away recently to the point that Walker and Wagner are ahead of him.

Walker also adds a point of difference - his speed is a valuable asset, and he's the best we have at closing down small forwards. Having Walker in the team allows Wagner and Clark to play more attacking roles.

I think the coaching staff actually pick Walker first out of those three. Aish will make a good sub should our preferred back 7 all be available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Pearce is fit he comes in, he's not a guy we can afford to rest, our best defence needs time to gel before finals, they need every game possible to play together.

IMO we've gone from having lots of uncertainty about who's in our B23 to having only a couple of positions under debate, all of them being bench roles.

Backline six: Pearce, Cox, Ryan, Chapman, Walker, Clark
Midfield six: Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Sharp, JOM
Forward six: Jackson, Treacy, Amiss, Switkowski, Frederick, Sturt
Bench: Fyfe (mid), Johnson (mid), Wagner (back), Banfield (utility)

So that leaves a sub role remaining and Aish and Walters both out of the team (not even mentioning Erasmus or Voss). Who from those onfield or bench roles has their position under doubt? I'd argue none of them. The only two you could debate would be Wagner and Banfield, but their form is solid enough that it would be difficult to convince most people that Aish or Walters would be better.

It's a pretty exciting time, it's rare to have such a solidified best 22 at the pointy end of a season like this, and touchwood, we may actually see this B22 run out against Melbourne next week.

Last edited:
I honestly think we have one of the best problems a list can have, having guys who are best 23 quality playing in the WAFL, it shows that we have so much depth, good depth at that, that we can't fit everyone on the starting team, gives people the incentive to work their asses off to earn their spot.

Wagner is an absolute lock best 22 ahead of Aish IMO. Would be happy to see Walker in for Aish and Aish moved to the sub role instead of Sonny.

Strongly disagree.

I like Wagner but Aish has far more strings to his bow then Wagner does. Wagner is only best 22 if one of Aish, Walker, Chapman, Clark is unavailable.

Wagner in my opinion has done a lot of good since coming here, I think his best use may be as a super sub, a lot like we used Banfield over the last couple of years.

That's the beauty of the forum! I have the exact same feelings about Wagner over Aish.
Why do you feel that about Wagner though?

He's been pretty decent in this stretch but for me Wagner is a bit one dimensional, and isn't particularly strong defensively.
His one wood is his willingness to attack and get on the bike, which is helpful for our ball movement, but he can get exposed with positioning and on rebound against.

Prediction Changes v Hawthorn (Round 18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back