Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

this guy should never see another AFL game again
1005000.png
Terrible post. Every time we lose supporters want to blame VDM or McNeil. Both played their role admirably. The competition is so even. I can’t for the life of me understand the hate some flogs throw around.
Is it because you feel inadequate playing div3 reserves or just failing at life. The game is 120 mins having 30 possessions the ball is in your hand about 2% of game time.
Today’s game is about defensive running,structures, applying pressure l.
Personally I think laith has been quite consistent in performaning his role. Hence why is hasn’t been dropped. Seems the coaches like him.
Obviously it would be nice to hit scoreboard more but hard when all entries go through 4 players 3 key fwds and Cody.
VDM isn’t the reason we lose and mark my words our fwd half pressure would drop terribly if is out the team.

Laith actually ranks pretty poorly for pressure acts across the side. His running power would be missed but he's not utilising that pace effectively at all.
He's averaging around 11 a game. By comparison, we're getting around 15-16 or game from Mcneill, garcia, West and 14 from Cody
He averages less disposals, less goals and less tackles than every player I just named too

Last edited:

VDM isn’t the reason we lose and mark my words our fwd half pressure would drop terribly if is out the team.

Statistically he is a fair way behind our other forwards for pressure acts and tackles

Pressure acts

Garcia - 16.5*
West - 15.2
McNeil - 15.0
Weightman - 14.4
Vandermeer - 11.2

Tackles

Garcia - 3.7*
McNeil - 3.6
West - 3.3
Weightman - 3.2
Vandermeer - 1.9

*Garcia has probably played more midfield time than the others where you’re likely to get more pressure acts and tackles

I’d be looking at:
  • Buss for English (Lobb to ruck)
  • JOD for Buku
  • Freijah for Coffield
  • Harmes for VDM
  • Macrae for Garcia
Better performed of Buss or JOD holds their spot when English returns.

I understand the value that VDM’s running brings but I just think come finals time smart opposition will make us play through him rather than chasing his hard runs which free up space. That and playing through Buku’s man are the 2 key ways we get found out on the big stage.

Terrible post. Every time we lose supporters want to blame VDM or McNeil. Both played their role admirably. The competition is so even. I can’t for the life of me understand the hate some flogs throw around.
Is it because you feel inadequate playing div3 reserves or just failing at life. The game is 120 mins having 30 possessions the ball is in your hand about 2% of game time.
Personally I think laith has been quite consistent in performaning his role. Hence why is hasn’t been dropped. Seems the coaches like him.
Obviously it would be nice to hit scoreboard more but hard when all entries go through 4 players 3 key fwds and Cody.

The problem is VDM offers nothing about from his perceived pressure and repeat sprints.

If VDM played his role admirably on the weekend, the bar is on the floor. No composure, missing chances, fumbling. He had 53% disposal efficiency, 1 tackle and 3 clangers. It was an awful game from him.

We can get pressure and sprints from any player with a bit of speed, we need to move on from VDM because merely applying pressure shouldn’t be enough in the AFL.

Is Lachie Smith not a viable option yet?
If it doesnt go well we have Lobb and Darcy who can take over.
Reluctant to move Lobb at this stage.
I agree, lachie smith to play, Darcy can help out a lot. Don’t like playing around with wholesale changes in our defence. Maybe bring in jod or buss for kmamis.

Bevo, the ultimate troll. It was always his plan to get our hopes up by beating 4 x top 8 sides only to lose to the Crows...then the icing on the cake, losing to Norf. He instructed Tim to be sh*t last week and fake an injury, so he can play Caleb as ruck against Xerri, claiming he is revolutionising the game. He'll then conjure up the best game by any team against the Giants as we win by 228 points with the Giants failing to score. Ultimately, we miss the 8 but Bevo gets coach of the year because you are only as good as your last game. We extend him for an unprecedented 100 years using up the entire soft cap for himself, where upon his death he has left a list of fringe VFL players that must play every senior game until his contract is up. In his will, he donates all of his earnings to the Saints, saying that's where his heart has lied this entire time.

he's shit end of story - up there with the likes of honeychurch, mcComb and gowers. IMO i think he's the worst dogs player ive seen. gifted 50 AFL games

always look at stats and he never lays a tackle

Last edited:
Laith actually ranks pretty poorly for pressure acts across the side. His running power would be missed but he's not utilising that pace effectively at all.
He's averaging around 11 a game. By comparison, we're getting around 15-16 or game from Mcneill, garcia, West and 14 from Cody
He averages less disposals, less goals and less tackles than every player I just named too
Yeah but VDMs pressure is so elite teams actively avoid his area so naturally his pressure numbers will be low. He's basically Cyril 2.0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who goes to the ground each week and understands modern footy knows that VDMs played a vital role this year. Each side has them, the selfless task of playing zig zag guarding space and running from opponent to opponent making it harder for the opposition to transition from defense to attack. The role is magnified if you play 3 talls like we do.

Yet on the counter he needs to provide a little more on attack. His form would be worrying the coaches and they potentially could pull the trigger and give the role to GAGS who has potential to hit the scoreboard more.

Like everyone he will be judged on the position he plays. But please don't look to our bottom couple each week and say that's the reason we lost! its ridiculous, the bottom couple are only every roles players who have a small influence on the outcome of a game.

Try looking at 20 hit outs to advantage. 20 times our onballer did not even get a chance. That's leads to direct goals from the centre.

The problem is VDM offers nothing about from his perceived pressure and repeat sprints.

If VDM played his role admirably on the weekend, the bar is on the floor. No composure, missing chances, fumbling. He had 53% disposal efficiency, 1 tackle and 3 clangers. It was an awful game from him.

We can get pressure and sprints from any player with a bit of speed, we need to move on from VDM because merely applying pressure shouldn’t be enough in the AFL.
Not to disagree with any of this, and we obviously have to weigh up the value of what he does with ball in hand/around the ball, but the assumption that there's "any player with a bit of speed" in a comparable sense is what we're struggling with. Vandermeer is our top rated player and among the league's leaders in certain GPS stats, if such a player existed that could maintain those statistics but was a bit better with quality of ball winning and ball use, they wouldn't be a minimum-contract fringe player among the last selected in the team. The would be a top 20 pick and a rising star or valuable player, with Darcy Wilson at the Saints a perfect example of someone who is and will play a very similar role, with not awful disposal/ball use but that not necessarily being his strength.

The main issue here is that given that modern footy for every team requires someone to play the role Vandermeer does that the failure is in list management that Vandermeer is the lock in the team for the role and not the backup, rather than there being any issue with Vandermeer's getting some amount of games.

VDM plays a role. He is not this bad every week. Pretty much everyone had a shocker.

That being said…he was REALLY bad. And much like Gallagher, this form had been building to the point where a performance like that was inevitable.

As a fringe player that was severely out of form Gallagher had to go back to the vfl. Will the same standards be applied to VDM?

The games aren’t necessarily won and lost on your bottom 3 picked but at the same time Vanders has been far, far safer in his spot than others would be.

i don’t expect him to be dropped because there’s generally one favourite each season that we get a bit too clever with. And I think we all understand the concept that Vdm is not there for fantasy points or counting stats. But there’s a trade off and that game should be the tipping point for us to look for a similar player that can provide improvements in other facets of the game. Gallagher and Garcia come to mind as options that are somewhat similar but can actually impact the scoreboard.

VDM plays a role. He is not this bad every week. Pretty much everyone had a shocker.

That being said…he was REALLY bad. And much like Gallagher, this form had been building to the point where a performance like that was inevitable.

As a fringe player that was severely out of form Gallagher had to go back to the vfl. Will the same standards be applied to VDM?

The games aren’t necessarily won and lost on your bottom 3 picked but at the same time Vanders has been far, far safer in his spot than others would be.

i don’t expect him to be dropped because there’s generally one favourite each season that we get a bit too clever with. And I think we all understand the concept that Vdm is not there for fantasy points or counting stats. But there’s a trade off and that game should be the tipping point for us to look for a similar player that can provide improvements in other facets of the game. Gallagher and Garcia come to mind as options that are somewhat similar but can actually impact the scoreboard.
Gallagher 20 plus possessions and 3 goals in the VFL. Not sure of his pressure acts

How can keyboard warriors call AFL footballers "fake tough"?

How am I a keyboard warrior? You’re on a footy forum..

Tough is putting your snout over the footy. Not lipping at opposition players when you firstly;
A) struggle to find the footy yourself and;
B) Don’t put your body on the line.

I’d be looking at:
  • Buss for English (Lobb to ruck)
  • JOD for Buku
  • Freijah for Coffield
  • Harmes for VDM
  • Macrae for Garcia
Better performed of Buss or JOD holds their spot when English returns.

I understand the value that VDM’s running brings but I just think come finals time smart opposition will make us play through him rather than chasing his hard runs which free up space. That and playing through Buku’s man are the 2 key ways we get found out on the big stage.
The opposition would be making a mistake if they played through him in that way. Hitting targets I50 is not his issue. Kicking goals when he has the opportunity is.

Man, I was finally coming round to accepting VDM playing an important role, team balance etc etc, but his complete and utter lack of any composure against Adelaide was just unforgivable. Any time he was within 20m of the goals it was like he had a panic attack. Diabolical.
Already saw all these signs in 2021, 2022 and that infamous Freo final.

I hate laying the boot in during a pile-on, but geez, I think VDM costs us quite a few goals a game.

There has to be at least one 2 goal turnaround a match that is a product of his decision making, skill execution, fumbling or panicking.

By the eye test, at least another goal is cost on average (or two or three occassion) from butchering shots on goal. Not on his lonesome in missing chances, but how many others in the team miss so often from easy shots. It is utterly dejecting.

His pressure is not that good. He misses tackles, gets turned inside out and ran away from quite often. His athleticism seemed top class when he first burst on the scene, but whether it's from bulking up or work to reduce soft tissue injuries, unfortunately he now seems to have a poor turning circle for someone who's meant to be amongst our most agile, and it translates into not being able to repeatedly harass opponents in the forward half.

The frees and 50s given away - there always seems to be one or two unecessary ones. I know the Sydney 50 earlier in the year was BS, but so many other players are not knocking that ball out when they know it's a likely mark. The Freo one in the final took away any chance of winning the game. There's been quite a few others. It's just a lack of awareness.

I know it's probably immeasurable, but how many goals does his defensive coverage gain for the team? Are a few extra repeat sprints (over and above whoever else in our squad had that position) worth multiple goals, weekly? If, say, Harmes has that position, does it mean we cop an extra few goals?

But tactics isn't my thing - I just think you can't carry someone who's costing multiple goals a game into finals without it costing a result somewhere along the line. Whatever, say, we might lose in defensive coverage by having Harmes compared to Vandermeer, I think we'd gain two-hold by him being involved in the chain/goal scoring opportunities rather than VDM.

I have to admit that I am divided in my loyalties this weekend. North don't have a chance of finishing any higher on the ladder and the Bulldogs are still vying for a favourable position in the eight. In consideration that the Bulldogs will be facing a very tough opponent in Ballarat for the last round, I will have to throw my support behind the Dogs this weekend.

Good Luck Dogs. 👍😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes V North Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back