Analysis Changes v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mustn't be the only one who thinks Cloke is ahead of Redpath?
Red is one dimensional and is lacking match fitness. He was rushed into the seniors and has performed ok but if stringer is back he can playing the leading fwd role and Cloke and Boyd can crash the packs and both can rotate through the high forward role. Red is half a dozen games from being at the fitness level to do this.

It was always going come to this - Cloke v Redpath - it's actually a good problem.

It's a toss up
Cloke offers more defensive pressure and just gets to more contests.

Redpath quicker on the lead kicks better is more aggressive but goes missing for long periods, often doesn't get to the marking contest at all.

I reckon we will go with Cloke - assuming Rough is back
He will know his under pressure and give us all his got - and it will have to be good - or he will finish his careeer in the VFL.

Having said that - I can never pick what Bev is up to in selection - so Red will probably stay.

Last edited:

It has been reported by Damien Barrett that Riewoldt won't play this week.

That is obviously a massive handy out for us.
Sure is, not sure where Purple gets his info seeing as he's banned from the club but Riewoldt has looked underdone the last few weeks. Probably helps us if he's not up to it right now, clearly needs a spell and we have the bye next week so it makes sense to rest him. Good luck this week though, always look forward to playing you guys

What's with all the Cloke bashing??

Jesus he played one game and made one error and we blame him for the whole thing?

Forget the misfield getting ripped apart again and missing goals again.

Nope let's blame one bloke in his first game back because he isn't red white and blue through.

Honestly the level of lemming in here is at record levels.

Bev was the reason we lost that game plain and simple he refused to tag Danger and The Ducker so why don't we sack him?

What's with all the Cloke bashing??

Jesus he played one game and made one error and we blame him for the whole thing?

Forget the misfield getting ripped apart again and missing goals again.

Nope let's blame one bloke in his first game back because he isn't red white and blue through.

Honestly the level of lemming in here is at record levels.

Bev was the reason we lost that game plain and simple he refused to tag Danger and The Ducker so why don't we sack him?
He made a few errors tbh, not just one.

He was the not one was he ??
No, but you call out others for overlooking mids and coaches yet you overlook some of Cloke's stuff ups. Just pointing out that neither you nor some other posters have mentioned the whole story. It's human to overlook some aspects, I will admit but I think sometimes you're just as guilty of doing the same thing.

It's fine if you believe Redpath is a better fit than Cloke (though I disagree) but Trav's attitude is fine.

One unrealistic ping at goal, one poor piece of team play and a penalty for abuse? Run the numbers on everyone else.

It looks to me like he's bought right into how we want him to play, presenting up the ground, clearing the arc, forward pressure.

Is he punished more severely for poor form or discipline because he was damaged goods, or because he's not one of us?

It's fine if you believe Redpath is a better fit than Cloke (though I disagree) but Trav's attitude is fine.

One unrealistic ping at goal, one poor piece of team play and a penalty for abuse? Run the numbers on everyone else.

It looks to me like he's bought right into how we want him to play, presenting up the ground, clearing the arc, forward pressure.

Is he punished more severely for poor form or discipline because he was damaged goods, or because he's not one of us?
Definitely, at his best he will be handy. But if the vfl is good enough for Stringer, Macrae et al, then surely Cloke can spend some time there if MC deems necessary. Tbh, it's a great feeling forcing a key fwd to play VFL, in years past, we've only had one or two options and have always kept them in seniors due to necessity. How times have changed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can play Boyd in the ruck this week , we only have Longer who taps it anywhere and then can't get a kick for the game. Boyd should run him all over the ground. How is Webb going ? I thought he looked promising. Still learning I suppose. What's the story with Cloke , is he still as useless as he was at Collingwood. I must admit I was a bit surprised you guys got him but maybe he's handy for back up . I've watched a lot of your games as I like the way you play but I don't think Cloke has added much to your team apart from kicking points. I could be wrong of course as I don't pay full attention. I like Redpath even though he looks a little under done . I think he did his knee against us last year didn't he ?

And I'm glad to see young Wallis is back playing , he had a bad injury .
Might be a good game , after the way we played last week that's about all I can hope for.
Good luck and no more injuries.

Sent via HAL

Definitely, at his best he will be handy. But if the vfl is good enough for Stringer, Macrae et al, then surely Cloke can spend some time there if MC deems necessary. Tbh, it's a great feeling forcing a key fwd to play VFL, in years past, we've only had one or two options and have always kept them in seniors due to necessity. How times have changed.
I think he's just so valuable to the side already. We'll see it more when Stringer is back (although I'm wary of that happening so soon).

I agree, nobody on our list is too good for a spell in the seconds. Just don't think he deserves one.

It's certainly a marked departure from the Jones-Ayce-Roughy days.

You can play Boyd in the ruck this week , we only have Longer who taps it anywhere and then can't get a kick for the game. Boyd should run him all over the ground. How is Webb going ? I thought he looked promising. Still learning I suppose. What's the story with Cloke , is he still as useless as he was at Collingwood. I must admit I was a bit surprised you guys got him but maybe he's handy for back up . I've watched a lot of your games as I like the way you play but I don't think Cloke has added much to your team apart from kicking points. I could be wrong of course as I don't pay full attention. I like Redpath even though he looks a little under done . I think he did his knee against us last year didn't he ?

And I'm glad to see young Wallis is back playing , he had a bad injury .
Might be a good game , after the way we played last week that's about all I can hope for.
Good luck and no more injuries.

Sent via HAL
Webb has upped his appetite for the contest considerably and so far he's threatened to score more often, but he still isn't a natural ball winner at this level yet. Likewise Bailey Dale who has shown some great signs of late. But I'm definitely in favour of Webby playing senior footy.

Cloke spaces the forward half, presents a marking target on the wing and short of our disastrous Freo trip has been quite good. Redpath snuck a few over the back in a different role but does look more competent in a traditional role in front of the sticks.

Yep, that's the game. Both he and Wallis were hurt in clashes with Savage if I remember correctly, not that it was his fault.

Really? That's ****en shameful.

Ahhhh then I shouldn't have mentioned Longer , but if it makes any difference I do it on our board as well. We are divided into two groups. Those who like Hickey as ruck and those who like Longer . We have been arguing about it all this season and last as well. I gave up and just said let's agree to disagree because arguing wasn't going to change anyone's mind . But it still going on.

Sent via HAL

He was the not one was he ??

I believe Cloke is the better option at this stage. More versatile and can spread the defence with longer range. In saying that he was virtually absent in the first half last last week but was also a huge part of the resurgence when going on to the ball.

Out: Red, Smith
In: Rough, Stringer if ok

Red is so far ahead of Cloke in terms of what we need right now it's not even funny.
Cloke can play up the ground more effectively, Red is better out of the square. Really depends on how we choose to use Roughead/Boyd as a ruck duo - last year we chose to use those two and Cordy as a defensive forward playing higher up the ground which means Cloke plays as that's the role closest to the way Cordy played last year.

It seems the inclusion of Roughy creates another dilemma. Who goes out for him.

Roughy. #1 ruck. Pinch hits forward. Can drop back. Form is ok, not great. IN
Toyd. #2 ruck. Can play chf or ff. Form improving. Unknown if any good or needed in defence. IN

Redpath. #1 or 2 FF. No tank for CHF Very average ruck. Not much chop or need in defence. Form ok

Cloke. Can play either CHF or FF. Serviceable ruck. Defence unlikely in ability or need. Form sketchy. IN

His versatility gets him nod ahead of Red, but I get the feeling Bev wants to set an example of him for his undisciplined act. If not.....

Depending on how ready Rough is to play the majority of ruck will influence the selection criteria. If it's only 50%, Cloke stays as rucks rest at Ff. if he can do 75% or more, Cloke gets the chop, Toyd plays predominantly at CHF. Red at FF

Please don't suggest we play all four. It would kill our speed and structures.
I wouldn't say Cloke is a servicable ruckman. I would say he can only play CHf or FF and to play him in the ruck for any period of time will allow the other side to dominate in the middle, as what happened against Geelong. Cloke should be playing VFL.

No, but you call out others for overlooking mids and coaches yet you overlook some of Cloke's stuff ups. Just pointing out that neither you nor some other posters have mentioned the whole story. It's human to overlook some aspects, I will admit but I think sometimes you're just as guilty of doing the same thing.

Fair enough but I don't recall calling a player out in his first game back other than the utter spud we have.

I was actually trying to say it seems some have an issue with Cloke due to him not being a "true" bulldog. I love Red but he is a FF AND THATS IT!

Every player last week made errors you don't think I see the hypocrisy in here that one particular player seems to be able to make error after error and then one good thing erases that error? Lol

Anyway play Cloke OR Red based on who fits better and not the jumper they have worn longer. Personally think it's Cloke at present but not by much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back