Unofficial Preview Changes V Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This current AFL administration is doing everything they can to put fans offside aren’t they. They have very quickly looked NRL levels of incompetent.

This is a full contact sport, accidents will happen and players cannot break the laws of physics, this needs to be understood. I get there are all sorts of class actions and suing around but really, this is a massive overreaction.
The new administration are a mess. Dillon was better when he was straight up General Counsel; Stephen Meade who is now the GC and was just a lawyer has even less idea about footy and the less said about Kane the better. All up you really do have three ego maniacs who know very little about the game, hence the chaos off field and the general running of it. Don’t believe what you hear about how well run the AFL is.

I'd do something different and let McKenna / Brain take turns to fill that forward spot of Charlie. We can send them there with a primary job of tagging Blakey and shutting down their rebound. If McKenna doesn't work we can switch Brain forward and see how he goes.

I believe both will have the pace and defensive nous to run down Blakey if needed. We don't need to replace Charlie the goal kicker, hopefully between Bailey/Rayner/mids we can cover the 2 goals. But we really need to replace Charlie the defensive forward and sending one of our small defenders to F50 might do the trick.
I can see Brain handling that sort of assignment. No so much McKenna. Morris I think will get the first shot at Blakey. Try to run with him, get in his way. Defensively Blakey could probably take Morris anyway. Big job for Morris I know, gives a lot away athletically, but he's just gotta hold Blakey up, slow him down a bit so he can be pressured. We can always sub him out for Brain if we need more.

Continue to tell us you want him suspended, without telling us you want him suspended Jon. AFL should save some dough and just have Ralphy represent them in this case, he’d put in more effort then whichever QC they engage.

If that is the AFLs only question then our answer is pretty easy and supported by the footage in that Duggan clearly turns his body and uses his strength to move backwards and tries to fight the tackle.

Does the AFL think the tackler is always the one in complete control of the action? FMD.

At first thought that idea sounds quite good, I used to watch a lot of Rugby League and I can not recall a concussion or serious injury from an around the legs below the knees tackle.

Of note is that the around the legs tackle in RL is nowhere near as common as it used to be when I was heavily into it in the 60s to 80s, the go to tackle technique now is multiple players attack the torso arms to stop the off load and to slow the play the ball down.

At first thought that idea sounds quite good, I used to watch a lot of Rugby League and I can not recall a concussion or serious injury from an around the legs below the knees tackle.

Of note is that the around the legs tackle in RL is nowhere near as common as it used to be when I was heavily into it in the 60s to 80s, the go to tackle technique now is multiple players attack the torso arms to stop the off load and to slow the play the ball down.
As per my original post, AFL rule change allowing tackling below the knees would very likely have a significant impact on the game, but if Bedford gets suspended I don't see how players can perform a run from behind type tackle without the real risk of a suspension. In a split second decision they have to be conscious of how the player their tackling is falling and then remember to let go of one arm so the player has a chance to brace.

I don't watch too much rugby league, the odd Bronco game, might flick over if a dull AFL game on, but do like watching the state of origin.

Continue to tell us you want him suspended, without telling us you want him suspended Jon. AFL should save some dough and just have Ralphy represent them in this case, he’d put in more effort then whichever QC they engage.

Another example of a journalist possibly influencing an independent process. Journalist have restrictions on how they can and what they can report on for court cases. I am all for freedom of the press, but I am starting to think it is time that these sports journalist are restricted on reporting incidents until they are finalised.

If that is the AFLs only question then our answer is pretty easy and supported by the footage in that Duggan clearly turns his body and uses his strength to move backwards and tries to fight the tackle.

Does the AFL think the tackler is always the one in complete control of the action? FMD.

Ralph does

I would say, given the NRLness of this new AFL administration, the decision is already made and this will be a waste of time.

Unless of course Charlie was named Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and then no matter what he does, he never gets suspended.

Ralph does

Ralph was able to guess exactly how the AFL would position itself in relation to the Cameron and Bedford tackles including the number of weeks Charlie would get, so clearly a mouthpiece for the AFL.

It just shows how effed the AFL is when their grading table spits out either 0 or 3 weeks for football acts that were nothing more than accidents yet incidents that are more concerning at grass roots level which Browny was trying to get across such as players intentionally hitting opponents such as Pendlebury and Hewett on Neale to the body and Rosa on the Power player to the head that are as deliberate as ever only gets one week. I mean surely the AFL aren’t that stupid that that is out of whack? I think they are given the table they’ve come up with.

I mean how does giving three weeks to Bedford or Cameron change behaviours other than players just stop tackling yet we are condoning intentional strikes because the AFL refuses to suspend players for intentional strikes that is assault anywhere outside of the football field and if you did suspend players watch the players behaviour change instantly.

The AFL is so arse backwards they really are demented run by fools.

I can see Brain handling that sort of assignment. No so much McKenna. Morris I think will get the first shot at Blakey. Try to run with him, get in his way. Defensively Blakey could probably take Morris anyway. Big job for Morris I know, gives a lot away athletically, but he's just gotta hold Blakey up, slow him down a bit so he can be pressured. We can always sub him out for Brain if we need more.
Happy to be wrong, but i can't see this. Blakey is quick and has a massive tank. Dev would fit that profile if we feel like bringing him in - ressies watchers would i be right in thinking he has been pretty consistently good in the 2s?

Other option i think ah chee given he has done some good jobs in the forward line. But if Cameron is out we might need ah chee to go attacking so it's he and Lohman seizing on any ground ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another example of a journalist possibly influencing an independent process. Journalist have restrictions on how they can and what they can report on for court cases. I am all for freedom of the press, but I am starting to think it is time that these sports journalist are restricted on reporting incidents until they are finalised.

Nah feed him our updates so the mouthpiece can run it up the chain and post more questions.

Will help us structure our defense better, he's a loud mouth who can't shut up - use him for what he's useful.

Josh Dunkley strong on Charlie Cameron suspension:"Everyone was saying at the time that it was a perfect tackle. It's a very harsh penalty."
"Personally, I go into tackles now worried about what the outcome is going to be."
"Guys are potentially going to hold back a bit, and I'm not sure that's what we want."
Yeo has also stated his opposition to the suspension on Perth radio this morning - 'What was he supposed to do, put a pillow under his head?'
Tim Kelly also said he's confused by the 3 week decision.

Last edited:
Yeo has also stated his opposition to the suspension on Perth radio this morning - 'What was he supposed to do, put a pillow under his head?'
I have to admit, other than Ralphy, most of the media and players who I have heard speak on it, are all quite strong in supporting Charlie or atleast supporting the action.

The sad thing is the afl found a solution to this being to blow the whistle quickly but have completely done away with that.

The AFL will fight this appeal very hard.

Because if Charlie gets off it disrupts the agenda they're hell bent on at this juncture.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the penalty were downgraded to some degree because on balance he was not responsible for the outcome bar being the guy who had hold of him when it happened.

This is very controversial, as it changes the fabric of the game, but IF Charlie and especially Bedford are suspended for their tackles then the AFL is going to have to allow tackling (not tripping with the foot or hand), below the knees. So in essence a rugby league type tackle. This then allows the ball carrier to protect themselves with a free arm when falling and reduces the potential of concussions. Of course will result in players being able to dispose of the ball (via a hand ball) much easier as they are being tackled. Allowing tackling below the knees, will make the game quicker (less stoppages) and also does not reward the tackler and therefore would have a profound impact on the game.

The above sounds like BS, but seriously what are the options for players if Bedford (performing an almost perfect tackle) is suspended.
They already do, without directly tackling at the knees. if a player tackles at the hips and it slides down the legs and below the knees it's play on, rather than a trip.

Because if Charlie gets off it disrupts the agenda they're hell bent on at this juncture.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the penalty were downgraded to some degree because on balance he was not responsible for the outcome bar being the guy who had hold of him when it happened.
So in other words you expect the AFL to double down on their lunacy and ineptitude? Given the current administration; its probably to be expected.

If Charlie gets off, then the outcome will be the same as the Maynard-Brayshaw incident. The AFL will strengthen the rules around duty of care to say "if a player takes another player to ground in a tackle and it results in concussion then it is a reportable offence". ...And this is fine if that's the angle the AFL is taking as it gives players a full off-season to learn how to tackle without ever taking a player to ground. Imposing these standards mid-season though is unfair on players.

So in other words you expect the AFL to double down on their lunacy and ineptitude? Given the current administration; its probably to be expected.
I think the biggest motivating factor for the AFL in this issue is the Picken court cas and the looming class action on concussions. These cases are a real threat to the game. Losing law suits can bleed the AFL’s coffers and bring the whole edifice down. I can’t see how the game can continue in its current form, in this political/legal framework.

Maybe the only solution is to become more like Gaelic football. 😕

I think the biggest motivating factor for the AFL in this issue is the Picken court cas and the looming class action on concussions. These cases are a real threat to the game. Losing law suits can bleed the AFL’s coffers and bring the whole edifice down. I can’t see how the game can continue in its current form, in this political/legal framework.

Maybe the only solution is to become more like Gaelic football. 😕
If the AFL is going down the path that any concussion must be traced to an opposition player and an automatic suspension then we are in all sorts. Marking attempts must also be caught by this and then what, if a teammate is also kneed is he suspended for concussing his teammate.

Trust me; concussions aren’t being eradicated from the game and are legal cases now going to be thrown out because the AFL suspends players from football acts as if that protects the AFL?

Clown are running the game and it’s showing.

If the AFL is going down the path that any concussion must be traced to an opposition player and an automatic suspension then we are in all sorts. Marking attempts must also be caught by this and then what, if a teammate is also kneed is he suspended for concussing his teammate.

Trust me; concussions aren’t being eradicated from the game and are legal cases now going to be thrown out because the AFL suspends players from football acts as if that protects the AFL?

Clown are running the game and it’s showing.
i haven't read the cases in depth. but is the bigger issue in those cases not concussion management rather than it happening at all?

You can never eliminate concussion from the game. It's when / if you play after.

I suspect some more traditional football acts will go the way of the dodo - eg being able to knee a bloke in the head taking a mark. it's crazy this is still allowed really!

Cameron's is in a category all of its own in my view. An accident largely caused by the player who got knocked out in Duggan, who is the bigger player of the two and was able to pull charlie towards him which created momentum meaning Cameron could only do what he did (hang on) or just let go mid air - all but impossible and would have resulted in a likely head clash

I'll just reference the goose Maguire suspension when he bumped Jude Bolton and knocked himself out

Wonder how many weeks he'd get now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back