Unofficial Preview Changes V Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez everything is against us this year! Huge effort if we make finals from here! Who are we expecting to come in for Charlie? Or do we just shuffle a few players around and a straight swap for Starce?
I'd rest Logan Morris and bring in Sharp and Starcevich for Charlie. Bailey plays Charlies role, I also think we need more run against the Swans hence my liking for the Harry Sharp inclusion, on top of that McKenna to the bench and Reville to the starting 22.

Suppose we got a few days to tee up with the Swannies the look we’ll give each other when we are ready to just “sit down” after being tackled this weekend, so at least there’s that.
I think the AFL may take more notice if the crowds didn’t turn up.

At risk of exposing why I'm not an afl coach here. But I wonder if one of our defenders could get a run in Charlies roll. Or perhaps maybe even play negative on Blakey. Not sure what our small forwards stocks are but I wonder how Starc or Answerth would go in such a gig.

Edit...... I'm gonna leave this here at my own expense. The more I read it the less enticing it's sounding.

This game has taken a bit of a back seat because of the Charlie Cameron situation, however I am really excited for this game, our biggest test of the season to date.

IMO we match up pretty well against the Swans, our all over ground defence will have to be on though as the Swans are a long gut running side with the likes of Gulden, Warner and Blakey, they will cut us to ribbons if our intensity is down.

Starcevich > Papley.
Joyce > Amartey.
Andrews > McDonald.
Berry > Gulden or Warner, if needed.

Our forwards need to be alert to Blakey running off.

This game has taken a bit of a back seat because of the Charlie Cameron situation, however I am really excited for this game, our biggest test of the season to date.

IMO we match up pretty well against the Swans, our all over ground defence will have to be on though as the Swans are a long gut running side with the likes of Gulden, Warner and Blakey, they will cut us to ribbons if our intensity is down.

Starcevich > Papley.
Joyce > Amartey.
Andrews > McDonald.
Berry > Gulden or Warner, if needed.

Our forwards need to be alert to Blakey running off.
If we give them the space in transition we have given other sides the past couple of weeks we will get pantsed.

I’m hoping though we have really set ourselves for this one.

Our toughest matches this year in terms of being underdog:

Dees at the g - great performance high pressure

Dogs at docklands - ditto

Power at AO - smashed them

Even the giants match away we played well for a half just kicked terribly and then folded

You would think we’ll be revved up playing against top of the table, and have absolutely no complacency at the gabba given we are only just winning

God i am talking myself in to this. It’s the hope that kills ya…

Bailey to Charlie's forward role. Starc in as a lock down on Blakey.Bruce to Bailey's role. Brain to stay in as a Papley match up in place of Mckenna who goes to Sub. I think Brain has the sort of Footy IQ required to negate Papley who is a smart Footballer.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Starc isn't going to come in and play forward. I'm tipping Ah Chee goes to Blakey (with everyone else in the fwd line trying to disrupt him also).

Starc could possibly go to Papley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously we appeal. If that doesn’t work then I would go with:

In: Starcevich , Robertson
Out: McKenna , Cameron

I just can’t cop McKenna’s poor defensive efforts any more. Won’t man up, looking to run off his man non-stop, kicking is iffy, decision making a worry and leaves teammates exposed as they have to deal with their direct opponents and his.

At risk of exposing why I'm not an afl coach here. But I wonder if one of our defenders could get a run in Charlies roll. Or perhaps maybe even play negative on Blakey. Not sure what our small forwards stocks are but I wonder how Starc or Answerth would go in such a gig.

Edit...... I'm gonna leave this here at my own expense. The more I read it the less enticing it's sounding.
Answerth can play that role. Has done in the past. Not a silly idea at all.

maybe controversial but i think answerth can do everything dev does but better, id definitely bring him in before robertson in most cases. might be line ball considering hes coming off a decent injury lay off.
Definitely controversial 😆

Obviously we appeal. If that doesn’t work then I would go with:

In: Starcevich , Robertson
Out: McKenna , Cameron

I just can’t cop McKenna’s poor defensive efforts any more. Won’t man up, looking to run off his man non-stop, kicking is iffy, decision making a worry and leaves teammates exposed as they have to deal with their direct opponents and his.
I think you are being kind to Mckenna 3KZ when you are saying his kicking has been iffy;) As far as i am concerned it has been terrible especially those 20 metre passes.:thumbsu:

BREAKING:

The AFL has today released new specs for players' jerseys moving forward:
Bubble Boy Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

*Note: the bump in this gif is also now outlawed, the possibility that bubble lost a touch of air is unacceptable to the AFL

EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE RELEASED OF THE LATEST AFL MANAGEMENT MEETING:
episode 1 GIF

Feeling expectations moderate a bit on this one. The OUTS are reaching a bit of a high level, if the TESTS don't come up re best 22 we would be missing:

Small Forwards: Cameron, McCarthy
Small Defenders: Coleman, Starce PLUS Answerth would be the first Starce replacement
Key Defenders: Payne, Gardiner PLUS Doedee could have at least been next in

I know we can only get 4 of those players back this year so mentioning the others seems less relevant. But the problem with all the ACLs is it means only 3-4 more injuries on top of them means our depth gets tested.

If Starce plays and is good to go (i.e. not one of those post concussion game lulls i think happen) then that would make a big difference. They have a lot of dangerous players going through the forward line he is perfect for - Heeney / Papley / Warner etc.

The good news is our midfield is totally intact. That says to me we have to clearly win the midfield battle to be any chance, as the rest of our team is missing some talent and experience. Sadly the Swans midfield is bloody good so that seems a tall order. Longmire mentioned that tagging Neale 'did not work' for Sydney last time so sounds like they will go with more of a team strategy to limit his influence. I'm hoping that is not like the 2022 Prelim where Geelong just bullied him! We will need plans to neutralise them - Gulden has to be sat on as his run and delivery is pivotal, and personally i think Freo showed Warner is most susceptible to pressure so he might get the Berry treatment. But i think we'll need to make sure we don't become too conscious of just stopping them. We were in awesome form in centre clearances for the first 3 quarters v west coast.

Our tall forwards are also unharmed but Morris looks to be struggling, and Daniher and Hipwood are going well but neither in the red hot form of earlier in the 6 game streak. Hipwood was never going to be able to keep up his patch given he is not Dunstall, goals have been 6,2,5,1,1,2. Possessions 20,14,16,15,12,8. So the last two weeks in particular he has been much quieter after getting heaps of it in the four games before. Joe's scoring shots in the same time are 6,6,6,3,1,3. With Cameron almost certain to be out that takes out a couple of goals, and means Lohman gets their best stopper ALTHOUGH that tends to be Cunningham and he is a test. I think i've come around to Bailey playing permanent forward to replace the Cameron threat, and Ah Chee can get the Blakey job.

All of the above suggests we A) need really good supply to our forwards and to win the inside 50 count and B) a decent amount of goals outside of Daniher and Hipwood to be able to kick a winning score.

It's not a must win technically, but it would be a major blow given it's the first genuine contender we've played in ages, and on our home deck. And if we lose this week we have a MUST WIN vs the GC who are undefeated on their home deck. Eek...

What should happen:

Starce for Brain
Answorth for McKenna
Sharp for Morris
Reville for Cameron
Bailey and Rayner to stay forward

What will happen:

Starce for Brain
Reville for Cameron
Bailey and Rayner to continue doing mid time

I'm not sure if there's an appropriate place to post, I want to try and get a single ticket to Sunday's game but looks to be sold out. Is there a space on BF where members sell there tickets?

Yep certainly seems like it.

I will say I always doubted that Charlie could get off - he does apply SOME force to the tackle, even if Duggan trying to break the tackle is the main cause.
I thought Charlie applied some force and then puts his head into Duggan (i am sure no malice intended), however just prior to falling Duggan attempts to break the tackle and I would say contributes to the outcome. If Reid got 2 weeks then maybe Charlie deserved one, but not three.

Bedford's suspension is a shock, as this suspension will in time have a profound impact on tackling, unless the wording of the rules is changed for next year. Its a dogs breakfast at present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back