Prediction Changes v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read the match report of our last game. Here are the mitigating circumstances that lead to an 8 goal loss:
Five day break
Cam McCarthy's passing
Kicking 4.15
Their pressure from the get go and the evenness of their team performance
Four goals from Hayward
James Jordan kept Jordan Clark to five possessions

We can probably even it up a bit more now. Clarky will want to make amends. Our mids are kicking more goals at the moment and Treacy is one of the form forwards.

Just read the match report of our last game. Here are the mitigating circumstances that lead to an 8 goal loss:
Five day break
Cam McCarthy's passing
Kicking 4.15
Four goals from Hayward

We can probably even it up a bit more now. Clarky will want to make amends. Our mids are kicking more goals at the moment and Treacy is one of the form forwards.
another short break seems unfair, especially with Sydney being in NSW for weeks

I think they will do better..

Draper had a difficult first half against West Perth. Was on the wrong end of a couple of aberrant bounces that caused him to overrun the ball. Second half was quite good. Kept Keitel to 2.2 for the game.
I guess it’s him or (Gasp) Hughes unless we pull something weird like Treacy or Jackson to he backline.

My brain says we will still see a better net outcome playing Draper and Davies who atleast understand the idiosyncrasies and dynamics of our backline’s thinking (aka what Ryan will structurally want to see) over experimenting with someone not accustomed to even being down there.

I think Draper and Davies will relish the opportunity to play together and support Ryan and is cohorts and see it as an unexpected but golden opportunity and the fan base is going to cut them some slack in any case.

Heck, it gives us license for a new nickname down back… the commentators yelling “and here come the Double D’s”! 😁

It’s the future anyway, so let’s just get on with it!

Last edited:
My brain says we will still see a better net outcome playing Draper and Davies who atleast understand the idiosyncrasies and dynamics of our backline’s thinking (aka what Ryan will structurally want to see) over experimenting with someone not accustomed to even being down there.

I think Draper and Davies will relish the opportunity to play together and support Ryan and is cohorts and see it as an unexpected but golden opportunity and the fan base is going to cut them some slack in any case.

Heck, it gives us license for a new nickname down back… the commentators yelling “and here come the Double D’s”! 😁

WWW.DD_RAC

Lost Hamling, Wilson, and Henry last year who all could've gotten a game now too.
This migh sound crazy..... I even think Travis Coyler would of got a game this year too.

I would of wanted to have kept Hamling for 2024.

Having one of Wilson or Coyler as experienced roatational depth on the bench would of helped this young dickers squad.

Buy yeah freo has the 2nd or 3rd youngest side in the comp I suppose.

If we narrowly miss out on finals or finish 9th to 11th this season due to not having experienced depth on our list like Wilson and Hamling, well we only got ourselves to blame.

Looking at the way Pearce fell. Where the ice on the arm was.
And that his bones are made of chalk.

I reckon Pearce has at least a fracture

Our key position defenders next week are Draper and Davies

Welcome back I the big time boys
That is nice to hear.

Good to see Draper play 10 games this season. Davies finally got a debut game last week.

Again, I would of been more confident with both Draper and Davies playing 3-5 games this season rather than one bloke playing 10 and the other playing 1.

Draper looks ok for now. Davies needs at least few more games to be fully blended in.

At least both are 194-196 cm. tall enough to face the big guys on the goal square or the 200 cm ruckmen.

If Draper doesnt get in, that means Davies keeps his spot at full back. Ryan or Chapman plays Centre half back.

Nothing more Dockery then beating the ladder leaders from out of nowhere with your captain injured.......

Pearce out is hard. Would draper and Davies be possible for taking on Amartey and McDonald.

Bad luck losing 3 KPD along the length of the season.

Wouldn't risk cox yet. Not a game we are expected to win. Can't risk cox coming back to soon.
Not that I would endorse tanking.

If am certain that we aint gonna beat the swans at the SCG on current form, I wouldnt risk bringing cox in.

Again, I would rest Cox if that means he is fully fit for the next 4 games.

Next 4 games after swans at the MCG.....

- Tigers at home.

- Hawks in tassie

- Demons in Perth.

- eagles in perth and thats our "home" game.

Not trying to sound Arrogant. But I can see freo win all 4 of those games with good form and a positive mindset and not underestimating any of those 4.

Heck, it gives us license for a new nickname down back… the commentators yelling “and here come the Double D’s”!

Best post I’ve seen on this topic. Alex Pearce is one player in our 22 we have to replace, so just make one swap. Don’t let it end up being 4-5 players playing roles they aren’t familiar with or is not their best for the team

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I just wish we'd had Sydney right after the bye because I don't think we've ever won right after a bye anyway.
I dont know whats more weird?

The fact we have no chance of beating the swans this weekend or the fact that last season we had the swans twice, in which we beat them by 17 points at the SCG and they belted us at home late in the season?

Chris Tarrant was a natural forward who went back and became one of the best full backs in the game.. good players adapt to a role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want any of our forwards going back. We beat them last time because we stretched them forward of centre. It seems obvious to me to bring Hughes in and have Ryan play tall. Chapman being in the side now gives us some of the intercepting and rebounding we're giving up. Wagner gives us rebounding.
I'm not a Hughes fan but this is the exact situation we need him for, depth. He has a lot of AFL experience and can be trusted defensively in our system. He goes out again when we get some more cavalry back with Cox.

Best post I’ve seen on this topic. Alex Pearce is one player in our 22 we have to replace, so just make one swap. Don’t let it end up being 4-5 players playing roles they aren’t familiar with or is not their best for the team

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The DD option would certainly be interesting to see...but I think that's too much KPD inexperience to carry.
I think Hughes will come in. We all know his limitations but he's a 100 gamer and will support our defensive system better than Draper. And if we are to have any chance then our system has to triumph.

Cox is playing Peel league this week. Prob on slightly reduced minutes. If he isn’t ready the week after then very likely in 2 weeks.

Draper seemed to go back to sleepy joe a bit against West Perth. He wasn’t terrible but Keitel seemed to easily lose him and I was expecting him to perform much better. Hughes actually played well. I’d roll the dice with bunch of medium talls. We should be able to manage the week after with the same bunch against Richmond. If Draper picks up his act at Peel then he could be an inclusion especially if Davies struggles. Whilst Davies performed ok defensively he did zero offensively. Draper also similar. Hughes whilst taking an eternity to move the ball on is still more creative than those two.

From memory he was also switched over the course of an off season.

We didn’t just decide between Monday and Friday, ‘oh you’re a defender this Saturday’.

We did try doing that switch with a key tall before though, telling him as he arrived at the game that he would play key defender. Taberner. Did not go well.

Five day break
Cam McCarthy's passing
Kicking 4.15
Four goals from Hayward

We also had 8 or 9 shots on goal that didn't even score. And Sydney kicked very straight until the last quarter. The expected score at 3 quarter time had us 8 points up instead of the reality of 44 points down. Just a ridiculous discrepancy.

I really think people have misinterpreted that performance against Sydney. We actually played quite well all things considered with McCarthy. Just had a nightmare kicking at goal.

Believe it or not, based on expected score, Collingwood actually whooped us a lot more than Sydney did.

We have draper so should play him

But players have swing forward or back before games

Melbourne's whole forward line are defenders in petty and turner (both swung mid years)

GWS swung himmelberg to defense mid year and now he hasn't left there

It's not like it doesn't happen

But I'd just play Draper or Hughes anyway

I doubt we're much chance to win, Swans have been clinically dismantling teams. I don't think its reasonable to expect to win with Pearce/Cox out but hoping for at least a competitive showing.

I think Hughes is the safe option. As others have said, he's experienced and you know what you're going to get. I doubt any forward that lines up against him thinks they're in for an easy day at the office. He's probably more defensively accountable than Draper at this stage and we have Chapman and Clark.

If they go for the shutdown on Clark, Sharp just give it to Chappy coming out of the back. He or Wagner should be able to get off the chain.

What we need to do is make sure Warner, Gulden and Heeney don't get too much space. Sharp can definitely go with Gulden it would almost be worth sacrificing Sharp to scrag Gulden all day. Would be very interesting to see if Fyfe could go with Heeney and contest every ball. I still wouldn't want to be trying to beat Nat for the pill in close. Brayshaw would be interesting V Warner.

I remember being told I was being stupid lamenting the loss of Hamling last year. Hell I remember people telling me that Collins was a spud and why would we keep him.

I doubt we're much chance to win, Swans have been clinically dismantling teams. I don't think its reasonable to expect to win with Pearce/Cox out but hoping for at least a competitive showing.

I think Hughes is the safe option. As others have said, he's experienced and you know what you're going to get. I doubt any forward that lines up against him thinks they're in for an easy day at the office. He's probably more defensively accountable than Draper at this stage and we have Chapman and Clark.

If they go for the shutdown on Clark, Sharp just give it to Chappy coming out of the back. He or Wagner should be able to get off the chain.

What we need to do is make sure Warner, Gulden and Heeney don't get too much space. Sharp can definitely go with Gulden it would almost be worth sacrificing Sharp to scrag Gulden all day. Would be very interesting to see if Fyfe could go with Heeney and contest every ball. I still wouldn't want to be trying to beat Nat for the pill in close. Brayshaw would be interesting V Warner.

I remember being told I was being stupid lamenting the loss of Hamling last year. Hell I remember people telling me that Collins was a spud and why would we keep him.
I think Sharp doesn't have the physicality to tag, and Fyfe doesn't have the tank or pace to go with Heeney. Manning him in the contest, even then I don't think so. I predict they will back our four to beat their four at the contest.
I don't think we have any choice but to go chips in on smashing them in the contest. That will leave our defence vulnerable, but we're going to lose anyway if we try to protect the defense too much.
We want to win contest and maintain forward territory as much as possible.

McDonald has won like 2 1v1 contests all year.... #donotrate
No idea what the point of getting guys like McDonald and Wagner in. at least McDonald's tall I guess because Wagner is completely bewildering. but two previous clubs each for about 30 games and we have the audacity to think 'nah jeez what they're missing as footballers is just being at Fremantle!'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back