Unofficial Preview Changes vs North (Broomy out, Tooves in, Marsh, Dwyer and Broomy emergencies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. He needs games experience regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being given unearned games leads to a Jack Watts outcome. Don't expect him to star but DeGoey needs to meet club set levels for him to stay in the team. If he meets them he stays, if not he goes back and works on them.

If we want to try and play Pendles forward more, we probably might want to reconsider dropping a young mid (Broomy/De Goey) for a defender (Toovey)... but not sure what the alternative is.

If we want to try and play Pendles forward more, we probably might want to reconsider dropping a young mid (Broomy/De Goey) for a defender (Toovey)... but not sure what the alternative is.
I think the Pendles forward thing has been blown out of proportion a bit.

Stats showed he played 21% in the forward 50 last week, and while that is apparently a record for Scott at least in recent times that's still not really playing as a forward (Cloke, Elliott, Fasolo would be 60% +).

The attention was brought upon him becuase of the 3 goals more then anything. But let's face it we had very little opposition last week, especially in that second half.

For us to beat North, Pendles has to play less then 21% up forward, he simply does, especially with the team we have available.

Maybe when (if) we have Greenwood and Macaffer as part of our midfield grouping Pendles can play forward more but against the better teams we need him in the middle as much as possible.

I can see Pendles playing more as a forward once he breaks the 30 years old barrier to, which would probably prolong his career but also pass the baton on to the next generation of midfielders.

In: Toovey
Out: Broomhead

Close between Broomy and JDG, both could stay in the team really, but someone needs to go for Toovey and Broomhead would probably benefit from playing a full game in the middle at this point.

De Goey to be the sub, give him a slight break.

I think the Pendles forward thing has been blown out of proportion a bit.

Stats showed he played 21% in the forward 50 last week, and while that is apparently a record for Scott at least in recent times that's still not really playing as a forward (Cloke, Elliott, Fasolo would be 60% +).

The attention was brought upon him becuase of the 3 goals more then anything. But let's face it we had very little opposition last week, especially in that second half.

For us to beat North, Pendles has to play less then 21% up forward, he simply does, especially with the team we have available.

Maybe when (if) we have Greenwood and Macaffer as part of our midfield grouping Pendles can play forward more but against the better teams we need him in the middle as much as possible.

I can see Pendles playing more as a forward once he breaks the 30 years old barrier to, which would probably prolong his career but also pass the baton on to the next generation of midfielders.

I agree we are best served with him in the midfield but I like the flexibility it gives us. He was reportedly carrying an injury anyway so it could have only been a ploy to give him a bit of a rest, but there's no denying it worked. 15 score involvements is massive.

Selection is getting more difficult by the week, our injury list is beginning to disappear so over the next few weeks it will be interesting to see what our best 22 looks like.
For this week, tooves comes straight back in probably for one of the youngsters in de gooey or broomhead.
Can't see any other changes after a solid performance against the GC and no need to be making changes for the sake of it

Being given unearned games leads to a Jack Watts outcome. Don't expect him to star but DeGoey needs to meet club set levels for him to stay in the team. If he meets them he stays, if not he goes back and works on them.

No it doesn't. Jack Watts receiving unearned games leads to a Jack Watts outcome at Melbourne Football Club.

Play De Goey unless he is injured (our highest draft pick since Pendlebury in 2005). And then keep playing him over and over.

Selection is getting more difficult by the week, our injury list is beginning to disappear so over the next few weeks it will be interesting to see what our best 22 looks like.
For this week, tooves comes straight back in probably for one of the youngsters in de gooey or broomhead.
Can't see any other changes after a solid performance against the GC and no need to be making changes for the sake of it

It's very exciting. Reid is a must, Ramsay only dropped out through injury, Kennedy tore it up in the last VFL game, Maynard and Marsh as emergencies. Moore, Greenwood, Freeman and Scharenberg in the next wave all presumably factored into the team into the future.

Play De Goey unless he is injured (our highest draft pick since Pendlebury in 2005). And then keep playing him over and over.

We should pick the best team, and he is not necessarily in it at this point. With the sub rule forcing us to play 1 of our 22 ~25% of game time each week, there will be weeks where he is better off playing in the VFL.

We have extra players to come back (Toovey, Ramsay, Kennedy, Greenwood, potentially Macaffer) and he would be at the bottom of the pecking order at this point anyway.

We should pick the best team, and he is not necessarily in it at this point. With the sub rule forcing us to play 1 of our 22 ~25% of game time each week, there will be weeks where he is better off playing in the VFL.

We have extra players to come back (Toovey, Ramsay, Kennedy, Greenwood, potentially Macaffer) and he would be at the bottom of the pecking order at this point anyway.
Why should we pick the best team? That only helps this season (when clearly we will not win the flag) we should be building up to next year's team which will certainly include De Gooey. I would prefer to fast track De Gooey and Broomhead even if they are a little off some games.

Why should we pick the best team? That only helps this season (when clearly we will not win the flag) we should be building up to next year's team which will certainly include De Gooey. I would prefer to fast track De Gooey and Broomhead even if they are a little off some games.

You don't want to have the young guys getting spanked because there is no experience out there. It's too demoralising and really they learn from experienced players giving them instruction on the ground rather than after in game analysis.

We're washing a lot of inexperience through the side and winning so I'd like to continue with that approach. I expect we might get pummelled as it is against top teams so no need to make that worse.

If they play Witts as well as Grundy, which I'm sure they will, I'd like to see Witts ruck the first 10-15mins of the third qtr, have a red hot go while Grundy is resting, then sub Witts and increase our run from that point.

Toovey should come in as he'll be well suited to cover one of NM's quick forwards. Think Broomhead makes way, as De Goey should be given as many games as possible- he's the future for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not tanking. I firmly believe that winning teaches the young guys more than anything anyway. I'm not advocating that we necessarily play guys like Dwyer and Young ahead of him, but we should be picking the best possible team to give us an opportunity to win each week and hopefully secure a spot in the finals.

Imagine how good it would be for our side's development to play in a big final? Would be huge.

If De Goey plays 12-15 games this year it would be a great result, but as it stands I wouldn't ignore his form in the seniors and automatically select him each week, especially when you have a guy like Ben Kennedy destroying the VFL.

We're not tanking. I firmly believe that winning teaches the young guys more than anything anyway. I'm not advocating that we necessarily play guys like Dwyer and Young ahead of him, but we should be picking the best possible team to give us an opportunity to win each week and hopefully secure a spot in the finals.

Imagine how good it would be for our side's development to play in a big final? Would be huge.

If De Goey plays 12-15 games this year it would be a great result, but as it stands I wouldn't ignore his form in the seniors and automatically select him each week, especially when you have a guy like Ben Kennedy destroying the VFL.
Playing a few young players over some questionable seniors players is not even close to tanking.

Playing a few young players over some questionable seniors players is not even close to tanking.
This is my point. We are not winning the flag and as much as I love Dwyer for eg., he is heading towards the end of his career. I would prefer we put games into De Gooey/Broomhead.

Who are the questionable senior players I am referring to though? I wanted to know who dropped out for players like Toovey, Ramsay, Kennedy, Greenwood etc - are any of them questionable?

This is my point. We are not winning the flag and as much as I love Dwyer for eg., he is heading towards the end of his career.

And I'm not advocating that we play kids ahead of Dwyer so that's irrelevant.

I would prefer we put games into De Gooey/Broomhead.

The last time I checked, we are.

For me, there are four guys on the chopping blocks after last week. Langdon, Blair, DeGoey, and Broomhead. Blair is Bucks love child, and Langdon won't get dropped for similar reasons, and he projects as a really good player, which leaves two others. DeGoey and Broomhead. I thought Broomhead was OK when he came on, whereas DeGoey was fairly ordinary, albeit, he projects as a potential superstar.

It's harsh but it'll be

Out DeGoey,

In Toovey.

I'd have Seedsman among your list of potential outs. Historically slow to get back up to speed when he returns to the senior team but while acknowledging that he hasn't had much impact the last 2 weeks.

I'd have Seedsman among your list of potential outs. Historically slow to get back up to speed when he returns to the senior team but while acknowledging that he hasn't had much impact the last 2 weeks.

Potentially - I think he probably has enough credits in the bank to hold his spot..

So if Toovey comes back this week and we drop a midfield rotation can Seedsman at least go and play on a wing?

I think this is probably what will happen. Toovey back frees Langdon up a little, he has been forced to be more accountable. Lets us play Seedsman up the ground a bit. Seeds only had 2 inside 50s last week, his lowest total for the year.

If they play Witts as well as Grundy, which I'm sure they will, I'd like to see Witts ruck the first 10-15mins of the third qtr, have a red hot go while Grundy is resting, then sub Witts and increase our run from that point.

Toovey should come in as he'll be well suited to cover one of NM's quick forwards. Think Broomhead makes way, as De Goey should be given as many games as possible- he's the future for sure.

I actually thought they might do something like that with Witts and Grundy last week given GCS reliance upon Nichols.

You don't want to have the young guys getting spanked because there is no experience out there. It's too demoralising and really they learn from experienced players giving them instruction on the ground rather than after in game analysis.

We're washing a lot of inexperience through the side and winning so I'd like to continue with that approach. I expect we might get pummelled as it is against top teams so no need to make that worse.
I agree, it's getting a bit ridiculous with the demands for more youngsters. We are already playing so so many. It seems people will not be happy until we swap our reserves and seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back