Unofficial Preview Changes vs North (Broomy out, Tooves in, Marsh, Dwyer and Broomy emergencies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually disagree, I think we haven't played our best football yet, nowhere near it.

Yes we have some harder games to come (especially after the bye) but if we get Sidebottom, Ramsay, Reid and Greenwood up and running our potential output increases by 20-30% IMO.

It's looking like being the opposite of last season in regards to injuries, where last year we started ok and just got absolutely decimated after the mid way point of the season this year we started with a decent injury list and it's diminishing by the round.

If we are able to get anywhere near our best 22 on the field after the bye we will play better footy then we have already.

Yes we are 5-3 and that looks like a good start to the season but we've had a piss easy draw, don't be fooled, we haven't played our best football for 2015 yet, by a long way.

That's not to say we are a finals team even, but we can play better then we have been if we are given the tools to do so.

I'd place a bet with anyone that we will finish with a better record then last season (11-11 and 94%), even if it's only on percentage.

If we could steal this game it would change a lot too, 6-3 is a huge start for us.

Agree. Think we'll continue to improve as the season progresses. Doesn't mean we'll win games but we'll see some of the kids emerging as genuine best 22 prospects for 2016 and beyond.

Roos think they're contenders and we acknowledge we're not in that sort of space so we're definitely the underdog in this match. It is one we could potentially steal though. All pressure on the Roos.

On what I'm anticipating v North with regards to the result.

Both teams are really up and down, lacking consistency from week to week.

This Collingwood team is all about pressure, but I'd even phrase it more as energy. If we bring energy and enthusiasm to games. That's when we play good footy. Because we're looking to score off opposition turnovers with that what our play is all about.

North Melbourne are inconsistent as a hard and fit team, but slow starters who rely on second half superiority to run over you. Last season they beat good teams, lost to similarly rated teams. This season their results are inconsistent again.

My tip: North Melbourne by 27.

I'm anticipating a drop-off from here with Collingwood from this point in the season. It feels like it will be a repeat of last season and it feels like we've played our better footy for the season and now that we're going to come up against some better teams, we'll from here get found out, with still the odd wins here and there.
North Melbourne while more a mid-table team, they should be good enough to get the job done.

We'll probably at quarter time be up and half time around level. North Melbourne are just that bad starting games. But they should be too strong through the second half.

--
As for a general interest element I'll be going into the game looking at. I really look forward to seeing is how Grundy goes in the ruck v Goldstein. Goldstein early season at least up until the past couple of weeks with his hitouts and contested ball numbers incredible and he has been playing career best football. Great test for Brodie.

Tad glass half empty I would have thought. What reasoning do you give that will assume we will drop off from here on in?

Why can't we beat North minus Wells, Dal Santo and possibly Swallow?

With the inclusion of Greenwood, Reid and Scharenberg and a more stable and healthy list, why can't we keep winning games of footy?

Your view just seems very general without pin pointing where you think we'll drop off.

Not having a dig, as I love seeing different opinions. I just think that with better luck injury wise, we'll see an improvement in the performance of the 22 on the park as the year goes on.

Probably, but I agree with TG.

Toovey is really bad and a liability to our transition.
He gets about 10 possessions per game, most of which are turnovers.
Worst decision maker/least composed footballer I might have ever seen.
Is fast, but never uses it to his advantage.
Opts to spoil the ball rather than marking it.

His defensive work is overrated too IMO. He tends to get sucked in to the play leaving his opponent unmarked.

Ramsay and Williams have gone past him. Goldsack and Oxley are better.

He shouldn't be getting a game once Scharenberg hits his straps, by which time he'll almost be 30 with less pace because of his acl injury.

Although this week he should probably be getting a game due to structural reasons.
Seriously?
You must watch footy played in an alternate reality....at least you spelled his name right.

Current forecast is 15 and showers from late morning - 95% chance (which is as high as BOM estimates).

That should suit us in a big way, especially if North end up playing that very tall team they've selected.

They're pretty tough through the centre too though, but should close the gap between us a bit.

I know its not about the game as such.......But does anyone know if we can have a kick on the ground after the game on Sunday???

Probably, but I agree with TG.

Toovey is really bad and a liability to our transition.
He gets about 10 possessions per game, most of which are turnovers.
Worst decision maker/least composed footballer I might have ever seen.
Is fast, but never uses it to his advantage.
Opts to spoil the ball rather than marking it.

His defensive work is overrated too IMO. He tends to get sucked in to the play leaving his opponent unmarked.

Ramsay and Williams have gone past him. Goldsack and Oxley are better.

He shouldn't be getting a game once Scharenberg hits his straps, by which time he'll almost be 30 with less pace because of his acl injury.

Although this week he should probably be getting a game due to structural reasons.

Another stupid post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the match-up of Brown and Petrie. Should keep him honest. I also think B Brown is a crab and Frost will tear him a new one and be able to provide some run-off. The danger is Goldstein. He will give Grundy a lesson. Some great match-ups in this game and it will be interesting to see who runs with Harvey. Maybe Steel can show him how to cover the ground.

Looking forward to the game and seeing how we can perform against a reasonable opponent. Pies by 3 goals.

Still could be a bluff. If he was definitely playing they would name him on field?

Last minute switch coming.

Sub?

He may not be able to run out a full game, but is one of, if not the, best in and under players in the comp. If it's raining and it's close going into the last, he could come in and turn the game.

I got money on that poster being the same Kyle that rages on every Collingwood related post on fb, kid can't keep his emotions in check lol

Lasted a whole of 4 days. :D

His account says he's 17 so we'll cut him some slack, I suppose.

Lasted a whole of 4 days. :D

His account says he's 17 so we'll cut him some slack, I suppose.

When I was 17 I was out busting Carlton heads. The world has changed, and not for the better.

Kyle is taking some time out to have a think about his posting style over the last few weeks. He has been warned previously and whilst we respect everyone's right to their own opinion we also encourage each individual poster to contribute to the thread and not to attack individual posters who's ideas may differ from their own.

If you have any issues with individuals or moderators you can contact one of us to look into the issue for you.

We appreciate that many may get frustrated with certain posts or posters , but in the interests or peace and happiness, we'd prefer that posters resisted the temptation to have shots at each other.

If anyone is unsure about the rules please have a look at the link below:

http://bit.ly/BFRules

Sad to see Broomy dropped but I think it does show some good signs for our current squad with a few decent names still to come back in.

Vicky Park Magpie Girl Gone Critical

Last edited:
On paper we match up OK with Norf. Unfortunately the paper doesn't run out there on Sunday. If we "come to play" in the first half I think we will be right in the game. We look a lot better with Sidebottom in, a pity Greenwood is not present for his old team.

I don't think either team has any huge advantage but we do have some areas of concern that will test us.

A key to the game may be how well Goldstein fares against the twin towers, he will be hard to contain and will be important for Grundy/Witts to be effective when the ball is up forward. Which brings me to the weather, if it rains its probably a bad idea to go with 3 talls up forward - so a possible late Broomhead/Dwyer inclusion could be wise.

They have some quality small forwards in Thomas, Harvey, Higgins & Nahas. It is essential Toovey plays and takes down Thomas. Williams and Langdon will have their work cut out with Nahas & Higgins, whilst Harvey as always will need attention from someone who can track him thru the middle too - maybe Varcoe? If Sinclair was not hamstrung he would be one of the first picked for this game.

I want to see Taylor Adams step up and go hard at some of their hard nuts in Cunnington, Ziebell & Swallow. We will really need some hard bodies matching those guys in close, if not we will be destroyed in the clearances. Its been a worry all season and once again I am ruing no Greenwood. Crisp will have to do a big job again for us.

Should be a fascinating tactical game.

On paper we match up OK with Norf. Unfortunately the paper doesn't run out there on Sunday. If we "come to play" in the first half I think we will be right in the game. We look a lot better with Sidebottom in, a pity Greenwood is not present for his old team.

I don't think either team has any huge advantage but we do have some areas of concern that will test us.

A key to the game may be how well Goldstein fares against the twin towers, he will be hard to contain and will be important for Grundy/Witts to be effective when the ball is up forward. Which brings me to the weather, if it rains its probably a bad idea to go with 3 talls up forward - so a possible late Broomhead/Dwyer inclusion could be wise.

They have some quality small forwards in Thomas, Harvey, Higgins & Nahas. It is essential Toovey plays and takes down Thomas. Williams and Langdon will have their work cut out with Nahas & Higgins, whilst Harvey as always will need attention from someone who can track him thru the middle too - maybe Varcoe? If Sinclair was not hamstrung he would be one of the first picked for this game.

I want to see Taylor Adams step up and go hard at some of their hard nuts in Cunnington, Ziebell & Swallow. We will really need some hard bodies matching those guys in close, if not we will be destroyed in the clearances. Its been a worry all season and once again I am ruing no Greenwood. Crisp will have to do a big job again for us.

Should be a fascinating tactical game.
It's a real shame Levi Greenwood isn't ready to go. he'd be perfect against his old club come Sunday. I think we need to keep Thomas under control. He usually plays well against us IIRC and I agree that Toovey is the man and hopefully he's fit as Thomas will be up and about if he's not staging or ducking into tackles.

I think Swallow will be a late out. They'll give him every opportunity to get up but won't play IMO.

Looking forward to this game. I really think it'll be close.

Tad glass half empty I would have thought. What reasoning do you give that will assume we will drop off from here on in?

Why can't we beat North minus Wells, Dal Santo and possibly Swallow?

With the inclusion of Greenwood, Reid and Scharenberg and a more stable and healthy list, why can't we keep winning games of footy?

Your view just seems very general without pin pointing where you think we'll drop off.

Not having a dig, as I love seeing different opinions. I just think that with better luck injury wise, we'll see an improvement in the performance of the 22 on the park as the year goes on.

Playing better teams is my reason for expecting a drop off with the schedule to get harder from this point. Even assuming a fairly mild injury load. We've a worse team without Beams/Ball/Maxwell/Lumumba.

Then looking at what we have. We're a poor stoppage team. A poor running team. And a poor kicking team. When you're poor in those three categories, you're not going to be a good team and that's where we sit right now. With our tackling and pressuring game as well as our 1v1 ability in the contest what we hang our hats on and rely on to get wins.

Additionally I struggle with what we've got on each line. Up forward we don't have that second marking key forward for Cloke to be productive as per last season. Or midfield is worse lacking power and the stoppages or outside pace. Our backline is too young and too inexperienced to win with, with veteran backlines winning backlines.

North minus Wells, Dal Santo and Swallow are still a better team. If we had Dayne Beams, Lumumba and Shaw, I'd back us. But we're not the same team we were in 2010/2011 and we're lacking those pieces after our best 7/8 players to beat good teams with any consistency.

Playing better teams is my reason for expecting a drop off with the schedule to get harder from this point. Even assuming a fairly mild injury load. We've a worse team without Beams/Ball/Maxwell/Lumumba.

Then looking at what we have. We're a poor stoppage team. A poor running team. And a poor kicking team. When you're poor in those three categories, you're not going to be a good team and that's where we sit right now. With our tackling and pressuring game as well as our 1v1 ability in the contest what we hang our hats on and rely on to get wins.

Additionally I struggle with what we've got on each line. Up forward we don't have that second marking key forward for Cloke to be productive as per last season. Or midfield is worse lacking power and the stoppages or outside pace. Our backline is too young and too inexperienced to win with, with veteran backlines winning backlines.

North minus Wells, Dal Santo and Swallow are still a better team. If we had Dayne Beams, Lumumba and Shaw, I'd back us. But we're not the same team we were in 2010/2011 and we're lacking those pieces after our best 7/8 players to beat good teams with any consistency.

Sounds like you are off the bus too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back