Preview Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to reset for port and try to restructure our team to what was working.

B: Keath Jones Duryea
HB: Williams Gardner Dale
C : Smith Bont Baker
HF: Arty Naughton Daniel
F: Weightman JUH Lobb
R: English Libba Treloar
Int: Macrae Cleary Scott west
Sub: VDM

That is Out: JOD TOB Richards (inj)
In: Keath Cleary West

Williams needs to go back to fill a role and Cleary needs to come in. These two need to try to fill the Richards and JJ roles. West in for JOD the extra tall isn’t working. Keath is better than TOB.

Would play Daniel more half forward/wing we don’t need him in the middle now with treloar back. Smith put to a wing role and Scott rotating through the wings.

Naughton has to play higher up the ground let lobb and JUH play the deeper roles

VDM is the best sub option we have

In

Bruce as a forward. If he does stuff all helps maintain structure than that's enough.

Naughton in the backline permanently. Turns our backline elite, leave Gardner in with Naughtons precence to continue developing.

Perhaps Ryan Gardner has missed his true calling. The unwavering devotion he seems to have inspired amongst some of the posters on this forum, and of course the Bulldogs' Match Committee, in spite of one of the most mediocre performance records in AFL history, suggests the presence of some seriously special charismatic talent.

Such an ability could come in handy if he were to turn his hand to another vocation, e.g. sales and marketing, public speaking, politics, etc.

Without such powers of persuasion, it's difficult to understand why in the face of chronic and on-going underperformance in his current role, people continue to suggest every conceivable strategy be tried apart from his omission from the team.

To suggest that our best key forward needs to go back into defence to somehow help a struggling back up defender stay in, is bordering on cult like devotion.

Perhaps Ryan Gardner has missed his true calling. The unwavering devotion he seems to have inspired amongst some of the posters on this forum, and of course the Bulldogs' Match Committee, in spite of one of the most mediocre performance records in AFL history, suggests the presence of some seriously special charismatic talent.

Such an ability could come in handy if he were to turn his hand to another vocation, e.g. sales and marketing, public speaking, politics, etc.

Without such powers of persuasion, it's difficult to understand why in the face of chronic and on-going underperformance in his current role, people continue to suggest every conceivable strategy be tried apart from his omission from the team.

To suggest that our best key forward needs to go back into defence to somehow help a struggling back up defender stay in, is bordering on cult like devotion.
Someone here literally described his game as excellent last night 😂 what is it with this guy that has people completely fooled?

If it was up to you Brian Harris would've been delisted and picked up by Hawthorn to win 2008 & probably a 4 peat starting in 2012. Blokes had two shocking weeks, possibly needs a spell in VFL but he's definitely part of our future
My suggestion is Naughton need to go back 100%. He is too much a liability and will cost us a final. My added comment to that suggestion is leaving a young defender in to further develop (unless our coach actually wants to attempt to use Buku) instead of continuing to play Keath and O'Brian who aren't performing any better than Gardner

Outs:
OBrien
Richards
Gardner

Ins:
Darcy
Busslinger
Cleary

Change to team structure with Darcy to FF. Naughton CHB. Busslinger to interceptor. Cleary for Richards (not a great option but cupboard is bare). We really need a quick HBF.

If it was up to you Brian Harris would've been delisted and picked up by Hawthorn to win 2008 & probably a 4 peat starting in 2012. Blokes had two shocking weeks, possibly needs a spell in VFL but he's definitely part of our future

My suggestion is Naughton need to go back 100%. He is too much a liability and will cost us a final. My added comment to that suggestion is leaving a young defender in to further develop (unless our coach actually wants to attempt to use Buku) instead of continuing to play Keath and O'Brian who aren't performing any better than Gardner

Sorry but you are wrong on both counts. I was actually a big fan of Brian Harris\Lake and highly critical of the club's management of him, especially the decision to trade him to Hawthorn and gift them the secret ingredient to their premiership trilogy.

Now I recognise that there are a few fans of pushing Naughton back into defence. I am certainly not one of them and think it is a foolish idea. I would much prefer they just help the bloke improve his kicking for goal and if they succeed, he could potentially win a Coleman medal.

Furthermore, the suggestion that Keath and O'Brien, aren't performing any better than Gardner is just flat out wrong.
Keath and Bruce are both superior options to Gardner, who are nominally fit and available for selection. Bringing one or both of them back into the side ahead of Ryan should improve our defence significantly. Hence no need to 'rob Peter to pay Paul' by moving Naughton. BTW Gardner is not a 'young' defender, he has been in the system a long time, first drafted way back in 2015 by Geelong, who didn't give him a single senior game in his three seasons there.

Last edited:
It's obvious to many of us that Bont is hampered by some type of injury: groin, ankle, knee?? In his last few games he has lost his explosive best and his endurance. He seems to be sore and labouring. He should be given a rest as 'Managed' but we are in such a parlous state on field that a Bont on one leg is better than 10 others in.
The problem is imo due to poor selection decisions we have stuffed up the opportunity to bank some wins and give ourselves a buffer where we could risk resting Bont and get him fully fit. That is the product of …………………….AWFUL COACHING DECISIONS 🤬

This week I have the unique perspective of not having seen the game or watched the replay.

Can someone tell me what crimes against Bulldog-kind Oscar Baker and Arty Jones committed during the game to deserve getting dropped? Surely they must have done something horrendous and unforgivable?

Absolute knee-jerk B.S.

Out Richards - inj, O’Donnell, A.Jones, OBrien

In, Crozier, Cleary, Vandermeer, McLean

West Sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Richards, o'brien, gardner
In: poulter, cleary, Bruce (forward)
O'Donnell needs to go to defence or back to vfl.
i like the idea of Bruce forward. he's lean and fit and has an improved defensive game, release him forward and who knows what he could do...and he can kick straight!

This week I have the unique perspective of not having seen the game or watched the replay.

Can someone tell me what crimes against Bulldog-kind Oscar Baker and Arty Jones committed during the game to deserve getting dropped? Surely they must have done something horrendous and unforgivable?

Absolute knee-jerk B.S.
Baker wasn't too bad. Main problem was that like most of the side he wasted his ample disposals. I wouldn't drop him.

Arty Jones was disappointing. I saw him live in Canberra vs GWS and again last night. He was much better in Canberra. I also noticed he was only mid-list in terms of pressure acts last night. From the outset he had been near the top of that list. If he's not getting many possessions, not able to create opportunities and not applying pressure then yes it is probably time for a spell in the twos, assuming there's somebody who deserves a shot in his place. He definitely has a future though. He's still only 19.

Last edited:
It's obvious to many of us that Bont is hampered by some type of injury: groin, ankle, knee?? In his last few games he has lost his explosive best and his endurance. He seems to be sore and labouring. He should be given a rest as 'Managed' but we are in such a parlous state on field that a Bont on one leg is better than 10 others in the team on two. Not even sure he can last til the bye and even then one week off might not be enough. Not sure what the answer is.
This is a good time to find out if "No Bont, No Bulldogs" is true.

Maybe we still play him against Port and then give him a three week (two weekend) break. If NBNB is indeed true then our only hope of going deep in the finals is to give Bont as much time as he needs to get fit (3 wks, 6 wks, whatever) and hope the rest of the list can somehow get the side enough wins to play finals. Sort of like 2016 with Macrae and Libba.

This is a good time to find out if "No Bont, No Bulldogs" is true.

Maybe we still play him against Port and then give him a three week (two weekend) break. If NBNB is indeed true then our only hope of going deep in the finals is to give Bont as much time as he needs to get fit (3 wks, 6 wks, whatever) and hope the rest of the list can somehow get the side enough wins to play finals. Sort of like 2016 with Macrae and Libba.
I was mulling this over earlier today. When Bont went down to the rooms during the game yesterday, not only did his talent go with him, but also leadership and that sense of, well Bonts out there so we're a chance.

Seems to be below his best and labouring a bit so I'm inclined to agree that he stays around for Port and we roll the dice and go in without him against Norf and see who stands up. I'm thinking Caleb.

In Paul Hudson. Barry Hall Tory Dickson. the Dogs have now kicked 43.58 from their past four games.

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

In Paul Hudson. Barry Hall Tory Dickson. the Dogs have now kicked 43.58 from their past four games.
Good idea. However it's been a while so I suggest we start them on the bench.

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back