Preview Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a dead rubber in reference to playing the Tiges. Their game plan is to flood their backline in desperation and try and hang on and clear. Not the right game for either Butch or Shaw to be playing as they would end up with 4 blokes hanging off them every long kick forward entry. Much better off just move the ball in quick, kick from 50 and beyond and over their heads. Basic stuff and a smart approach. The Tiges are terrible and just about to put the que in the rack. They arent a threat relax.

Surely you would select him if he_were_to have 4 players off him?

I get what you are saying but because we lack height we leave ourselves so little flexibility.

We are reliant on them not performing

Why not? If Carlile and Trengove were still in you could say that, but our 'existing structure' has existed for one game and we lost that game to a team 8 spots below us on the ladder at a ground where we'd never lost a home game before. It's not exactly going brilliantly.

Our "tall" defenders conceded 3 goals against Essendon so structurally we were fine in defence. Our forward structure has been cactus since Butcher was dropped. The only real change to structure has been the loss of Trengove as back up ruck.

So yeah, we're sticking to our structure and expecting our players to perform their role. If we continue to have to worst goal kicking accuracy in the league (as we have to the past month) and kick high to Wingard, S.Gray, etc then it will be a very long Sunday, irrespective of who was selected.

We are all dreading the idea of Schulz getting injured BUT that's probably the only way one of Shaw or Butcher will get a game.

Here's a nice little scenario...

Schulz gets reported for belting Chaplin, Misses 1 week.

Kern selects Shaw, Shaw kicks 5 on debut.

Kern has to play Shaw the next game.

You know what to do Schulzy.

Watch our wall form across h/forward, centre, and h/back every time the ball is in our forward 50. They wont get through because, A their game plan isnt good enough, and B because they dont have the cattle. The rest of the game will be scrappy rubbish but when we break out it will turn into an automatic regimented protect and rebound. Basic stuff.

Oh I feel Ill now.

Truly, please don't let the club or players have that attitude.

I know we are the fans and are allowed to chest beat and be arrogant and that, and yeah they have been playing like spuds, but if clubs don't give themselves every chance to win and go in completely switched on 100%, they will lose.

Why on earth would we want to go in with the equivalent of 20 men?

Surely you would select him if he_were_to have 4 players off him?

I get what you are saying but because we lack height we leave ourselves so little flexibility.

We are reliant on them not performing
Not yet boydy. Genuine case management this one and i here what others are saying but this needs to be handled right. 015 if he is still with us, a genuine full pre season and a changed game plan will be the time. We just cant put Butch in at present because if it all goes wrong, then it will end up so wrong for all parties Butch especially. Shaw is a WIP and next year as well. Good club player management me thinks. When the time is right it will happen. Putting sheep in front of the wolves is stupid.
It does become a fairer option once the sheep become rams though. Both need time

Our "tall" defenders conceded 3 goals against Essendon so structurally we were fine in defence. Our forward structure has been cactus since Butcher was dropped. The only real change to structure has been the loss of Trengove as back up ruck.

So yeah, we're sticking to our structure and expecting our players to perform their role. If we continue to have to worst goal kicking accuracy in the league (as we have to the past month) and kick high to Wingard, S.Gray, etc then it will be a very long Sunday, irrespective of who was selected.

Hmm no tall for Carlisle or trengrove replacement...how can that be keeping our structure?

Sam gray is not ready yet, and Kane Mitchell is a squib who forfeited the right to play in the team, never mind he is a plodder who has reached his ceiling

Oh don't think for a second that I'm defending Kane Mitchell being in the side. I have zero clue what Kern is doing there. IMO his last 4 weeks have been his worst games for the club since he arrived!

From what I've observed of S.Gray all he needs to do is 1. He keeps his feet and 2. Put in full matchs like his first quarter every time he plays he will be more than serviceable. He's always in good spots on the flanks at the start of matches and gets used, then he for some reason disappears. I don't think he's in our best 22 but he's a handy player to have when a forward like Monfries goes out.

Shaw wont go anywhere, Newton is a different story he might wish to seek more opportunity but there is still time this year for him to force his way in & make it count.
I sincerely hope your right. Shaw may well hold down CHF for the next decade. To lose him now would be a massive blow.

Nah, don't agree whatsoever.

Firstly, our tall defenders conceded 3 goals against a team with no notable big forwards on a slippery night where the teams managed 15 goals between them - it's hardly a huge win.

Secondly, the loss of Trengove has effects all over the ground. It means Westhoff spends time in ruck, robbing our forward line of one of its two talls. It means Trengove is no longer in the back line, replaced by O'Shea who is a good player but a totally different, less physical player. And it weakens our ruck division in general because our new back up, 25% ruckman in Westhoff just isn't any bloody good and simply goes there to give Lobbe a rest.

It's just awful structure. Period.

Not yet boydy. Genuine case management this one and i here what others are saying but this needs to be handled right. 015 if he is still with us, a genuine full pre season and a changed game plan will be the time. We just cant put Butch in at present because if it all goes wrong, then it will end up so wrong for all parties Butch especially. Shaw is a WIP and next year as well. Good club player management me thinks. When the time is right it will happen. Putting sheep in front of the wolves is stupid.
It does become a fairer option once the sheep become rams though. Both need time

Okay. Yes I get it.

I guess I'm old school. Put them in for a game towards the end of a season to give them a taste and let them go back and work hard in the pre season.

I'm sorry about Butcher. I _know_about the confidence, but it's too late.

These are men.

We send 18 year olds to war and put 20 year olds in Jet fighters. I got packed up and sent OS at 19 and yeah obviously I'm still damaged but even if we tell them "stand there and take a tall and spoil if you want".

I mean I'd give money to put Daniel Stewart in this team. Sure he won't mark it, but 90% of the time neither will they.

This is about balance. We have to take the double team off Schultz and let it drop for the 2 grays and other smalls.

What better game for these guys to come in...we can tell them there is ZERO expectations for them, go stand in a pocket and simply draw a tall out of the play.

Jesus christ, how many times does Ken need to say he would love a tall forward but we do not have any ready for some of you to understand. Remember when we were playing Butcher earlier in the year and you same bunch of people were losing your shit because he was in the team. He has done absolutely nothing to earn his spot back, he has actually been quite terrible in the SANFL. Mason on the other hand has just started to look half decent, however he is so young and raw, Ken has clearly said this.

We were 10-1 with our small team sitting on top of the ladder. Once we lose a few, one to Sydney (premiership favorites) by 4 points on their home deck, a showdown (always 50-50 games, we all know this) and an off day in the wet against Essendon, you all literally lose you shit at the selections. No team goes through a season undefeated, teams drop games. You really honestly think Ken has no idea? Clue up and pull your friggen heads in. So many bandwagon supporters.
Have you been paying attention, like, at all? People having been asking for a third tall since round 4. Also, people are entitled to voice their opinions on an Internet forum without someone calling them bandwagon supporters.

By all means you keep towing the company line, worked out great with Primus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern is the possibility of injuries in what is a genuine dead rubber.
This is no dead rubber, our top 4 hopes hang on bucking the trend of recent losses to beat a team that in recent times have handled us pretty easily. We've lost 2 on the trot & they've won 2 in a row so they'll be up & about with players like Martin, Deledio, Cotchin, Riewoldt who are capable of winning a game of footy.

Teams like Richmond that are out of finals contention will be playing their finals against us in a bid to pinch a big scalp to take the heat of their poor seasons. Pretty much as Cotchin is saying right now on TFS they think we're beatable & a little vulnerable, putting confidence aside right now we are.

I think supporters would rather see a raw or out of form tall forward in Shaw/Butcher help give us some structure, take a tall defender & bring the ball down to our small forwards than watch Mitch run around aimlessly for 4 quarters again.

Well that means are recruiting has been poor in relation to talls. U need to recruit many talls to get a decent player and we have picked too many flanker types.

David Zaharakis obviously doesn't rate us after last week's loss as he has just tipped Richmond to beat us, on the Footy Show.

Ok..

Final ins: Logan and Newton

Outs: Monfries and Mitchell

Sub: Broadbent

If Neade and S.Gray are the ins I will literally be speechless and to top it off Young and be sub
S. Gray is a certainty.

Okay. Yes I get it.

I guess I'm old school. Put them in for a game towards the end of a season to give them a taste and let them go back and work hard in the pre season.

I'm sorry about Butcher. I _know_about the confidence, but it's too late.

These are men.

We send 18 year olds to war and put 20 year olds in Jet fighters. I got packed up and sent OS at 19 and yeah obviously I'm still damaged but even if we tell them "stand there and take a tall and spoil if you want".

I mean I'd give money to put Daniel Stewart in this team. Sure he won't mark it, but 90% of the time neither will they.

This is about balance. We have to take the double team off Schultz and let it drop for the 2 grays and other smalls.

What better game for these guys to come in...we can tell them there is ZERO expectations for them, go stand in a pocket and simply draw a tall out of the play.
Mate i am old school to and it pains me sometimes but this is the created world we live in. When i started playing footy the boots went all the way up to my knees, the studs were 12 inches long and the laces would run the distance of the westgate. If you couldnt get a kick you sat on the pine. Different world now and most of the kids of today wouldnt last ten minutes in our time. On the other side it is the way things are done these days. Funny they have little respect for us but bitch when we dont respect them. Go figure. I have three at home all teenagers FFS. Still go alright for an old bloke though, never missed one;)

Nah, don't agree whatsoever.

Firstly, our tall defenders conceded 3 goals against a team with no notable big forwards on a slippery night where the teams managed 15 goals between them - it's hardly a huge win.

Our defence conceded 62 points all up. How is that not a sign of a successful defence? Sure it was slippery but in no way did the conditions limit our scoring power to 7 goals.

Secondly, the loss of Trengove has effects all over the ground. It means Westhoff spends time in ruck, robbing our forward line of one of its two talls. It means Trengove is no longer in the back line, replaced by O'Shea who is a good player but a totally different, less physical player. And it weakens our ruck division in general because our new back up, 25% ruckman in Westhoff just isn't any bloody good and simply goes there to give Lobbe a rest.

It's just awful structure. Period.

And how does this disagree with anything I posted?

Are you under some misguided impression that I think our structure is good?

I'm off to the sportsbet app. I've got a horrible feeling about this one. Sorry guys.

Same. First time this year I've gone into a game expecting a loss.

And considering we're playing Richmond, that hurts.

Have you been paying attention, like, at all? People having been asking for a third tall since round 4. Also, people are entitled to voice their opinions on an Internet forum without someone calling them bandwagon supporters.

By all means you keep towing the company line, worked out great with Primus.
Yea we are in such a disastrous position man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back