Prediction Changes Vs St Kilda round 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you, but this is - as far as we can tell - our toughest stretch of the season. Ease up on the training, manage his minutes, but I think we need him out there.

If we can win the games against Saints and Pies, maybe give him a rest against Geelong as that might align with Bailey Williams returning to action and a game or two under his belt in the WAFL.

I'm not sure.

It's nothing more than a hunch, but I'd be surprised if they ask him to go into the ruck this week.

He had a splint on his wrist after round 1, a shoulder complaint after round 2, and apparently some form of lower limb complaint (either knee or ankle) during the week leading up to the Port game.

That's a lot of little niggles.

I think he is too sore to ruck.

Simmo has already foreshadowed that Oscar can't ruck every week, and Brander doesn't possess the vertical leap to contest in the ruck.

If that is the case, the selection question is: Do you play the extra tall with both Oscar and Vardy? or do you give Oscar a week off?

Last edited:
Whether we like it or not WC have invested in Petruccelle. It's in games against the league's soft kill's, such as St Kilda, where he should be getting games. In tough fixtures you go all-in and play your best team, but this week is an another opportunity to get games into the likes of Petruccelle, Brander, etc to fast-track them toward 50 games.
The same ‘soft kills’ who made it further in last year’s finals than we did?

I think calling them that is quite disrespectful.

I'm not sure.

It's nothing more than a hunch, but I'd be surprised if they ask him to go into the ruck this week.

He had a splint on his wrist after round 1, a shoulder complaint after round 2, and apparently some form of lower limb complaint (either knee or ankle) during the week leading up to the Port game.

Simmo has already foreshadowed that Oscar can't ruck every week, and Brander doesn't possess the vertical leap to contest in the ruck.

If that is the case, the selection question is: Do you play the extra tall with both Oscar and Vardy? or do you give Oscar a week off?
If you're ever going to take 1 ruckman and use a back-up like OA, it's this week against the Saints.
No Ryder and if Marshall plays, which is doubtful, he will be really under done.

Yep, the only real "soft kill" at the moment seems to be Norf.
If we take that attitude in, we will get beaten.

Saint Kilda have been slaughtered in the press this week.
We should be expecting a response.

Yep, the only real "soft kill" at the moment seems to be Norf.
If we take that attitude in, we will get beaten.

Saint Kilda have been slaughtered in the press this week.
We should be expecting a response.

They are in a similar position we were in going into round 17.

Many players out injured and being questioned publicly.

Backs against the wall stuff.

It’s a game we should win easily, but is still very much a danger game.

Important that we get off to a good start and snuff them out early.

I'm not sure.

I've been dismayed for a year or so now that we use Oscar in the ruck, so I am more than happy with using alternative options around the ground. If you just use him for centre bounces when NN is off the ground, fine by me, hopefully that means less than a handful of situations. Darling can ruck forward of centre and I am sure there is someone who can do it in the back half.

I don't foresee us making a change to ease the ruck burden on Allen, though. The only way I see Vardy coming in is if they want to completely double down on the STK deficiency in the ruck and try to cover the miss of Shuey with better service from a traditional ruckman. I suspect they will just see it that Gresham for Shuey is an even trade and take our chances in the midfield, given that Nic Nat is a roving midfielder at the stoppages as much as anyone.

I've been dismayed for a year or so now that we use Oscar in the ruck, so I am more than happy with using alternative options around the ground. If you just use him for centre bounces when NN is off the ground, fine by me, hopefully that means less than a handful of situations. Darling can ruck forward of centre and I am sure there is someone who can do it in the back half.

I don't foresee us making a change to ease the ruck burden on Allen, though. The only way I see Vardy coming in is if they want to completely double down on the STK deficiency in the ruck and try to cover the miss of Shuey with better service from a traditional ruckman. I suspect they will just see it that Gresham for Shuey is an even trade and take our chances in the midfield, given that Nic Nat is a roving midfielder at the stoppages as much as anyone.

I’m fine with it. He got about 15 extra games in the last 2 years because there was a role available that was not his primary role, but one he could play in helping out Nic in the ruck.

We could have just played Hickey instead and Oscar would have been out of the team with no WAFL to play.

It’s been great for his development.

Had it not been for his ability to play 2nd ruck Oscar would be sitting on 20-25 games playing forward and swinging back, and there would be extra pressure on JK to step aside and let the new kids have a turn (think 2017).

You’ve got to find ways to pump games into the kids, even if it means playing them in secondary roles. Doing that while contending for flags/playing finals is very challenging.

Most mids start at HF/HB for example.

Being in the team playing out of position is better than not being in the team at all.

Last edited:
Just going of what the wafl players did I would go Winder for Petch, similar type of player except one kicks goals.
Shuey to be replaced by Trew, I think his tackling and pressure could be very useful against Saints who will be stinging and coping a lot of Melb media slack to fire them up against us.

Really want to see how Witherden slots in but we don't want to mess too much with a winning team.
Hopefully he plays another good or better Wafl game next week and earns a call up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure.

He has the advantage of a 7-day break this week compared to 6 days prior to the last match. Obviously that depends on how bad his niggles actually are.

I think he's being managed 'in-game' a little, i.e. although being asked to ruck and cover the ground at certain stages - he is also allowed to be the 'stay-at-home' forward at other stages and JK and Darling share the load a little.

I think Shuey out, XON in is likely the only change (with the possibility of Ah Chee coming in as the sub if his hammie is recovered... alternately maybe Ainsworth as the sub).

Trew has played one in season senior game against men in the WAFL. Yes 24 disposals and 10 tackles is great but he needs a few more games to adjust to WAFL pace before taking the next step up. O'Niell was BOG with 31 disposals and by my count (watching) 13 clearances on the weekend. Fully deserves the recall. Is exactly what you want from a midfielder dropping back down, he dominated.

If Petch played Jones’ game on the weekend he’d have been tarred and feathered. Doesn’t mean I want Jones dropped, I think we should persevere with him at the moment, it’s just interesting how different players are treated differently.

Petch has played 30 odd games and poorly for 95% of them. Jones has only played 12 games of AFL and only 5 for us, surely he gets the same time Jack has been given yes?
Look I agree he is not performing much better but he at least looks like a player and has pretty good skills. Like Jack he needs to find it a lot more but I think his work ethic seems good. He is well ahead of Jack right now and that is not saying much.

Trew has played one in season senior game against men in the WAFL. Yes 24 disposals and 10 tackles is great but he needs a few more games to adjust to WAFL pace before taking the next step up. O'Niell was BOG with 31 disposals and by my count (watching) 13 clearances on the weekend. Fully deserves the recall. Is exactly what you want from a midfielder dropping back down, he dominated.
Stats a side Xon’s impact on the game was huge. It’s sorta like a shuey game where you lacked at the stats didn’t tell the story.
The biggest positive for me was that when the chips were down, it was Xon at tye forefront. They came back into the game cause of his Xons clearance work.

Anyone have the numbers of centre bounces Oscar actually attended? Didn't seem like that many to be a huge concern. The team balance is soooo much better how we set up Sat night compared to the first two rounds

Not sure about centre bounces but he was nominated ruck in 25 ruck contests on the weekend.

Fair call.
But with how these kids are built and toughened some are ready to play against the big boys straight away, just look at GC and Sydney.
I just think Trew might just have something special and mongrel about him.
Happy to wait a little longer but will be keen to see who he goes if and when he gets into the 1's.

Look I wouldn't care if we left Shuey in the side and sat him on the bench for the entire game rather than bring flipping Vardy back into the team. Love what he gave us in 2018 but has been an utter spud ever since and that will not improve.

XON for Shuey the only change.
Whilst I'm excited to see what Winder will bring, I think it is worth giving Petch and JJ a block of games to build confidence and have a good look at them.

St Kilda are like Melbourne and Fremantle - they have one good year, look good, but normal service quickly resumes as they can't hide their spudliness for long.

Respect is irrelevant.

If Petch played Jones’ game on the weekend he’d have been tarred and feathered. Doesn’t mean I want Jones dropped, I think we should persevere with him at the moment, it’s just interesting how different players are treated differently.
The umpires do this, too. They pay harsh HTB decisions against the last guy picked because there's less blowback from the fans.

The change will be Shuey for XON.

Petch and Jones are holding until Rioli gets back after which one of them will go

XON is a solid fit, contributor, link - he belongs.
JJ should improve and is a natural footballer, but am ok with Petch.
Brander looks like a cross between Dean Cox and Yeo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back