Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamish - take out his last quarter and he was ****ing abysmal. Goldy is so far ahead of him it's not funny. If Drew is ready, I'd drop the big stick of fairy floss.

In: Petrie, Edwards, Grima
Out: Ziebell, Warren, McIntosh.

Taking notes RB???:D

In: Grima, Jones or Edwards, McMillan if there is an injury or two
Out: Campbell, Ziebell.

If Petrie isn't right, then obviously Hales will come in for H. It's not even a question of form as he will be suspended for the rest of the season for stomping on the maggot, who went down like a sack of not so proverbial shit.

Have you watched the VFL game on Sat? Gav isn't even close to a game IMO. Not sure about Werribee, but the only blokes I'd consider from NB this week would be Edwards and Harding. Hale has a way to go, but showed some signs of life, and could come in if we needed him. Jones is always there, if required. That's it.

Not sure if Grima is ready to come back straight away, but apart from him, I'd maybe bring in Petrie and Edwards for Ziebell and Lower.

You will be bringing in two forwards and taking out two midfielders, dont think there is much balance there, not to mention the amount of hardness we would be lacking.

In: Petrie, Grima.

Out: Warren, Ziebell.

Petrie CHF, Grima to defence, Wright to the forward line.

I think we should look at grooming Milky as a running half back.

Just out of interest, why?

I think he just needs Petrie and Hansen in the forward line and he'll reap rewards from taking a lesser defender.

This season has never been about making finals at the expense of development.

So the only change I would make would be the forced one of Ziebell.

I thought our guys put in a really strong effort today and were just beaten by a side who were much stonger and more polished.

Fast forward our same list 5 years and play against that Geelong side they fielded today and the result would have been reversed.

Just out of interest, why?

I think he just needs Petrie and Hansen in the forward line and he'll reap rewards from taking a lesser defender.

He's not quite tall enough to play the marking half forward role in modern day football, and I don't want him chasing kicks on the wing all day. He's only 186 cms after all, and whilst his desire is fantastic he doesn't have the mercurial footy smarts of a Shannon Grant, Boomer Harvey or Corey Jones.

I think he could actually make an excellent hard running half back.

He runs all day, he's absolutely ferocious at the contest, could go in the air with a marking half forward and is solid beneath his knees.

He just falls down somewhat when he has to wheel and turn. The backline would remedy this issue.

Fair enough mate, I like the reasoning. I wouldn't be against seeing him and Wright rotate between HFF and HBF.

This season has never been about making finals at the expense of development.

So the only change I would make would be the forced one of Ziebell.

I thought our guys put in a really strong effort today and were just beaten by a side who were much stonger and more polished.

Fast forward our same list 5 years and play against that Geelong side they fielded today and the result would have been reversed.

I'd be disappointed if Edwards wasn't given a crack. i have serious doubts he has long-term potential, but he performed on the weekend in the VFL and we didn't have a whole lot working on the forward line.

I think as part of our development we really need to give guys who perform in the VFL a go, especially when we lose. It sends the message that if you bust your buns in the VFL you will be given a shot.

He's not quite tall enough to play the marking half forward role in modern day football, and I don't want him chasing kicks on the wing all day. He's only 186 cms after all, and whilst his desire is fantastic he doesn't have the mercurial footy smarts of a Shannon Grant, Boomer Harvey or Corey Jones.

I think he could actually make an excellent hard running half back.

He runs all day, he's absolutely ferocious at the contest, could go in the air with a marking half forward and is solid beneath his knees.

He just falls down somewhat when he has to wheel and turn. The backline would remedy this issue.

Not sure if he has that first 5-10 meters of speed required.

Certainly has the endurance, im also not sure if he's natural to that run and carry, and certainly doesn't have the penetration in his kicking on the run.

He's 21, in his 19th game, imo he needs time to learn his craft, and he's still going at 1.3 goals a game.

Im sure most would agree, a 30 goal season would be a good base to work off in his first full season.

In saying that, having watched him all pre-season I was sure he was going to explode this year.

It's all down to confidence, pre-season he looked like it was just a matter of chosing when to dominate his opponent and the contest, and he truly believed he was going to make his opponents pay.

Now he is doubting himself, its just experience.

You will be bringing in two forwards and taking out two midfielders, dont think there is much balance there, not to mention the amount of hardness we would be lacking.

You are assuming we had the right balance to begin with, which I disagree with. We were a little small against Port then lost Grima for Adams. I think the forward line needs more options, and Petrie has the hardness we need, if not match fitness.

Not sure if Grima is ready to come back straight away, but apart from him, I'd maybe bring in Petrie and Edwards for Ziebell and Lower.

We won the Clearances today against one of the best midfields going around, and you want to get rid of our leading Clearance getter ?

Okay.

As I said in another thread, Ed also had 7 1st possessions, 3 more than anyone else in the team today. (Not sure why people miss these things but, luckily, I have a feeling I'll be pointing out the above a fair bit this week.)

But yeah, let's piss him off anyway ? I mean, who needs Clearances ?

You may not rate first use of the ball and work at the bottom of the packs, Horizontal, but I know I do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed is safe, don't worry about it.

Patch, Buster, Cunners and Levi will also be better for the hit out, and there's no one pushing up for their spots anyway.

We won the Clearances today against one of the best midfields going around, and you want to get rid of our leading Clearance getter ?

Okay.

As I said in another thread, Ed also had 7 1st possessions, 3 more than anyone else in the team today. (Not sure why people miss these things but, luckily, I have a feeling I'll be pointing out the above a fair bit this week.)

You may not rate first use of the ball and work at the bottom of the packs, Horizontal, but I know I do.

Like many times in the past I completely agree with you TOD with your views on Ed. In his games so far this year he hasnt necessarily racked up the possessions, but he has been very important for us in the clearances and in and under in the packs. If Ed begins to rack up the possessions and continues with his clearance work he could really do some damage. It seems like Bon has faith in him and I reckon some BF posters should too.

Outs: Campbell, Ziebell, McMahon

Ins: Speight, Harding, Grima.

Speight can come in to replace campbell as he has been useless for 2-3 weeks now. Looks unfit, and can't compete when we have only one key forward. Hopefully he finds his mojo before the season is out. Speight has been battling hard down at Werribee, and his creativity and goal sense could be used against the swans.

Harding is the logical replacement for Ziebell, no one else really knocking down the door. We could definately do with a bit of extra leg speed as we look a bit sluggish at the moment.

Grima comes in for McMahon. 65% effciency wasn't good enough today and he seemed lost. Didn't get back to help out his teamates enough. Needs to find some consistant form, all season he has looked alot slower compared to last year.

As much as I love Cunnington i think he needs to start getting his hands on the pill a bit more. Give him more gametime and play him forward while he rests.

Would like to see Urqs come straight into the midfield for Z. Still think his best game was when he was forced to play in the middle and he had mid twenty possessions and was very good. I think he needs to be in the thick of things.

We should always have one eye on 2011 and not forgo the development of the team for an extra win if we can help it.

Would also like to see Mc Millian in before to long.

I know were a young side and this period is the time to try and swap young players around, BUT its not round 1. Its round 15. And FFS we need to maintain team balance. I have never read so much bull**** in 3 pages of what the INS and OUTS should be. It was a good game for the players to put underneath them- but the calls to drop Hamish and Warren and Campbell are ludacris. We were playing Geelong who starved us of possession for chrissakes. Not big news some of our players were bound to have ordinary games.
Some of us on here after a loss really do get pessismistic but gees it wasn all bad yesterday.
Reasonable changes would be obviously Grima in and Jack out.
And if Harding or Petrie are ready to go then give them a look in.
Id give that senior duo another week on the sidelines and see how Lower and Cruise go against Sydney but wholesale changes are just not needed.
Put it this way.
The way we played yesterday we would have beaten all teams ranked 7th and down.
Restore the faith guys we all had prior to yesterdays match.

Okay.

Modern game doesn't suit clearance only players. That's why Harro is no longer at North. Swallow is the type of clearance player we need (even though he had a shocker on Sunday). A player needs to be competent in open play, as well as being able to get the hard ball these days. Judd is the ultimate example of that, but while there are no Judds growing on trees, I'd take a player like Adams or Garlett over a player like Ed, who is a solid worker, but lacks awareness in traffic IMO.

Our forward line is a major weakness against the good teams. And Hansen by himself isn't enough of a target, and Edwards or Petrie (if he is ready) is a must for the Sydney game IMO.

Would like to see Urqs come straight into the midfield for Z. Still think his best game was when he was forced to play in the middle and he had mid twenty possessions and was very good. I think he needs to be in the thick of things.

Agree with this.

Didn't see the VFL, but I would have him in the second midfield rotation and tell him that his effort will determine his place in the side. He kicks it like a mule and that ground is under 10's size, so he could do some damage with the footy. It's all about effort and workrate.

On Ed, I think he can (and has been) an important contributor in the side when he plays within his role. Clearance stuff, tackles and generally smashing his way through a bit of traffic. When he moves outside of that, as he did a few times yesterday, and tries to tuck the footy under his arm or get cute with posession, I think he becomes a concern. I think he could be a player that is crucial to the development of some potential AFL stars and be a very solid AFL footballer in his own right who racks up alot of games and plays regular finals games. Cruize is in a simmilar situation, I reckon.

Campbell was pissing me off all day, looked like he had to do a lot more work in the midfield today, and it probably looked different on tv, but from the pocket I was wedged into, I was getting pissed with him.
Agree on McMahon, not sure I'd drop him though.

Azza for Campbell is something I'd float.

Little wonder he did little RB if he was in a pocket getting pissed with you. Poor form all round. :D

I don't think there was a great deal wrong with our setup yesterday. The issues were moreso that we killed ourselves with turnovers and Geelong are a bloody good side with mature bodies that can retain possession at will. Games these days are won on scores from turn overs, not clearance work, and Geelong mopped up after our poor decision making and went the other way to score. With that in mind I reckon we stick with the team that won 3 or the last 4 unless injuries come into play. So:

Outs: Zeibell
In: Grima

Spud back to his normal half back role, Adams to take JZ's spot in the midfield rotations.

btw, it was great to head down to Geelong and stand behind the goals with a fairly vocal North contingent. Old school footy attendance at it's best. Will go next year, draw permitted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back