Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll spew if Super Gav comes back in this week.

Has done nothing to suggest he deserves his spot with his performances in the AFL or VFL and there are so many other blokes that deserve a chance before he does.

The only change should be Ziebell for Grima.

If Petrie is ready to go then they can make the hard decision of who gets left out. Having Drew back in the side will finally give the forward line some balance and take some heat off Hansen and Warren.

Would like to see Azza back this week. Think he would be a very valuable player against the swans. Last time against them, he worked hard, got in front, consistently put himself in position to win the ball or a free, as he has done most of the year when playing. Unlike some others, I think Azza can be important in our forward line, not just now but into the future as well.

So you reckon the forward line of Hansen and a bunch of smalls is sufficient most weeks?

We generally have either H or Goldy resting down there for 50% of the game at least, so that takes the emphasis off Lachie to be the sole tall target, but much depends on the way we bring the ball in. Geelong pressured us and stifled our movement and as such or delivery was poor and less dynamic than the last few weeks. That's to be expected against the best side in the comp. I think the set up has allowed us to register decent scores recently and we have had multiple avenues to goal, both forwards and midfielders. This weekend was different because we butchered the ball at critical times because of a combination of pressure and stupidity.

When Drew comes back I would be happy to have both him and Hansen in there with a resting ruck plonked in the goal square for 30% of the time, but for now I would persist with the game style that we were happy with 2 weeks ago.

Cannot believe I am reading Lower out. Seriously. SERIOUSLY. This shit is getting too predictable.

If Carey was playing, in his prime at this point in time, I am sure someone would ask for him to be dropped.

Didn't see the VFL, but I would have him in the second midfield rotation and tell him that his effort will determine his place in the side. He kicks it like a mule and that ground is under 10's size, so he could do some damage with the footy. It's all about effort and workrate.

I'm with you and Moti on Urq's. His game on Saturday wasn't great but I too want to see him developed for the future in a less inhibited role where his pace and long kicking could make us a more damaging outfit. Imagine him booting his scud missiles 60m's to deep in the F50 and the awaiting mitts of Lachie and Dish this week.

I firmly believe that Gav's a better player around the open expanses of the wings and midfield.

What about Gav's game on Saturday made you think that?

He was playing for a side that was killing the opposition in the clearances for most of the game, yet at no stage did he look like dominating the game on the outside, which he should have, given his AFL aspirations. He didn't seem to be anywhere near his best, and seems to lack a bit of confidence, IMO.

I am not saying he was the worst player on the ground, but given NB dominance, I would have thought he needed to dominate the game and get a lot more of the ball and use it better, to be considered for the seniors.

I reckon someone like Wells or even Garlett would have dominated that game absolutely, if they played. Harding is another one, who seems to be struggling a bit with his kicking (again) but did use the NB midfield ascendancy to pick up plenty of the ball, and snagged a couple of goals from midfield as well.

in: harding edwards

out: ziebell campbell/wright

we dont work well as a small forward line. we need people who can mark overhead.

HF: garlett* hansen warren
F: thomas goldstein edwards

*adams, boomer, wells, lower, wright to rotate through

why do they persist with wright as a backman? hes a winger when he is more experianced and more developed and a half forward for now. and even then he is behind warren AND edwards as a medium forward.

thomas needs to work on kicking more goals like the 1 he kicked on sunday. he is not going to out mark people like he did against carlton regularly, he needs to crumb and get to our big forwards feet a lot more.

ziebell and anthony shouldnt play again this year, even if we make finals. save them up for next year. petrie shouldnt play until round 17. id almost save him for next year and give hale a chance to prove his spot on the list/trade value.

imagine being able to bring a fit/firing/hungry ziebell anthony and petrie into the 22 next year

He was playing for a side that was killing the opposition in the clearances for most of the game, yet at no stage did he look like dominating the game on the outside, which he should have, given his AFL aspirations. He didn't seem to be anywhere near his best, and seems to lack a bit of confidence, IMO.

I am not saying he was the worst player on the ground, but given NB dominance, I would have thought he needed to dominate the game and get a lot more of the ball and use it better, to be considered for the seniors.

I reckon someone like Wells or even Garlett would have dominated that game absolutely, if they played. Harding is another one, who seems to be struggling a bit with his kicking (again) but did use the NB midfield ascendancy to pick up plenty of the ball, and snagged a couple of goals from midfield as well.

He played off half back.

And after shanking his first kick, I don't reckon he misseed a target for the rest of the game. His handball in particular was impressive. No idea how many possessions he got, but 90% of them were quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Modern game doesn't suit clearance only players. That's why Harro is no longer at North. Swallow is the type of clearance player we need (even though he had a shocker on Sunday). A player needs to be competent in open play, as well as being able to get the hard ball these days. Judd is the ultimate example of that, but while there are no Judds growing on trees, I'd take a player like Adams or Garlett over a player like Ed, who is a solid worker, but lacks awareness in traffic IMO.

That's a pretty simplistic explanation for why Harro's no longer on our list, but I get your point.

Problem being, we don't have the luxury you're suggesting. Momentarily putting aside the whole chicken/egg argument about actually needing to get your hands on the ball in the first place, what you seem to fail to appreciate is that we are currently sitting rock-bottom last in Clearances. It's an area we totally suck in.

With Jack gone, it's now pretty much Swallow and Lower left to extract the pill and impose some physical presence around the stoppages. (To his credit, Bastinac has stepped up and done his bit to get the ball out. Anthony, likewise, before he got injured. But both lack grunt in spades.) Hopefully, Adams and Cunnington can come to the party soon.

But, ffs, if we strip any more size and Clearance-winning ability out of our midfield at the moment, we are simply inviting opposition sides to bend us over and have their way with us Deliverance-style every single time we go out there. It's madness, Sparta, etc.

He kicks it like a mule and that ground is under 10's size, so he could do some damage with the footy.

I have worked out the ups and downs with Urquarts kicking.

He is an excellent penetrating kick on the run.

He is very ordinary otherwise.

However, he is rarely going to break his shackles and get running when is is being utilised as a half back stopper most of the time.

He needs to be utilised as a freewheeling type of player like Wells or Harvey. He needs to get up on a wing or half forward even, and be encouraged to play off his opponent, or any kicking advantage becomes largely irrelevant.

I wouldn't be promoting him on Saturdays effort.

If Scott was picking players purely on form, Sammy Wright, Ziebell, Cunners and others would have been dropped at times this year. He has made a point of playing these young guys and the same should apply for Urquhart , if he is injury free.

Way too much talent there to ignore. Needs to be given a specific role back or mid and know that he isn't required to kick it 60m and hard every single time, just because he is capable of doing so.

There really is a simple explanation for this.

Gav doesn't get his own ball.

He sits on an opposition player (usually a half forward), then when there is a turnover he runs off to link up and get a disposal.

That's it.

He sits on an opposition player (usually a half forward), then when there is a turnover he runs off to link up and get a disposal.

That's it.

Didn't see the VFL but he has won his own ball numerous times in the past. I reccon he feels the pressure to use the footy exceptionally because he has been one of the very few who is capable on the list and isn't comfortable playing that outside receiver & user role .

He is good one on one.

That's it.
Yep.

He is either way down on confidence or simply has a bad football brain but he rarely uses it well enough or runs hard enough to make up for it.

As others have said if he cant string some dominate games together in the strong NB outfit then he doesnt deserve to be promoted. This is his 4th year and he really needs to start showing something more than just an ability to kick it 60m.

Yep.

He is either way down on confidence or simply has a bad football brain but he rarely uses it well enough or runs hard enough to make up for it.

As others have said if he cant string some dominate games together in the strong NB outfit then he doesnt deserve to be promoted. This is his 4th year and he really needs to start showing something more than just an ability to kick it 60m.

Agree 100%

We can't view Gav in the same light as Ziebell, Cunners, Bastinac etc.

Gav should be viewed up against those of similiar vintage like Hansen, Goldstein, Thomas and Warren and these players are killing him in the development stakes. Killing him. Three of them have already torn matches apart.

Super Gav needs a super rocket and he needs to super wake up and smell the roses or he risks getting superannuated.

The ability is there, now he needs to play as if his life depends on it. He doesn't deserve to be called up until he destroys some VFL matches.

Lower was good on sunday, my only out would be Warren, guy is too slow, and plays like an individual, doesn't share it much in the forward 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back