Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather see Drew come back via the VFL so that he can get some match fitness. This is a really vital game. Sydney put a lot of pressure on teams = not a good team to come back against after a long break. Drew needs to be match fit before he plays for us because he doesn't possess the classy ball skills that enable some players to step straight back into the AFL. Besides, I think Drew is big enough of a man and a team player and I don't believe that he would have any qualms playing VFL.

sross has claimed Grima might be missing again, and upon reflection I think this is a good week to rest a couple of kids and bring in some bigger bodies for such a crucial clash.

In: Petrie, Edwards, Harding, Smith

Out: Ziebell, Warren, Cunnington, Wright

If McMahon is still carrying an injury I want him rested also.

Backs: Rawlings, Smith, Pratt

H/Backs: Firrito, Petrie, Thompson

Centres:
Garlett, Swallow, Wells

H/Forwards: Harvey, Hansen, Adams

Forwards: Thomas, Edwards, Campbell

Rucks: Goldstein, Greenwood, Bastinac

Int: McIntosh, Lower, McMahon, Harding

- Smith gets White

- Petrie gets Goodes all day.

- Hunter and Spud to rotate following O'Keefe up the ground.

- Goldy and Hamish to rotate through the forward line and work Mumford over like there's no tomorrow.

- Levi to sit on McVeigh.

- Azza to play from the square.

- Lachie to run up and down the ground.

This week is payback time for the 2008 Elimination Final.:thumbsu:

wow.

Yes, he would be my first choice. Drew could go forward.

However, I would still bring in another tall for White.

White played two's last week. Hasn't had a kick all year and I'm fairly sure Roos said he'd play two's for a while.

Goodes kicks the majority of his goals against North from general play, I reckon. Gibson touched him up at the SGC last year, so I'm not sure height is the required thing to combat him. Thompson or Firrito if Grima doesn't get up. We have options.

White played two's last week. Hasn't had a kick all year and I'm fairly sure Roos said he'd play two's for a while.

Goodes kicks the majority of his goals against North from general play, I reckon. Gibson touched him up at the SGC last year, so I'm not sure height is the required thing to combat him. Thompson or Firrito if Grima doesn't get up. We have options.

True, but I'd really like to play Firrito on our terms. He has been a great driving force off half back this season, and putting him on a potential match winner will kill his output. He tends to get nervous on goto players and loses his effectiveness. I'd almost go with Pratt or McMahon on Goodes.

I am concerned with opposition height, especially whilst Grima is out of the side and I don't want us to get away with it this week, and then push our luck with it on Reiwoldt the week after, then push our luck further with it the week after v Hurley and Gumbleton etc, etc, etc......because, IMO if that happens, the finals are gone.

I would much sooner see the coach address the height issue without resorting to Hunter and others all the time by putting someone up from the VFL now.

Continually having Hunter sitting on big forwards also robs us of rebounding power.

Is there a chance Hales could come in and do that floating backman thing he did in the 2's last week? That way we could leave H up forward with Hansen, put Petrie on Goodes and Goldy main ruck.

I'll be suprised if Drew comes back this week if he still hasn't been able to get through a full training session yet. His fitness just wouldn't be up to scratch, so I'm tipping they will err on the side of caution & he'll make an appearance against the Bombers.

It goes without saying having Grima under a cloud severely ****s up our structure. Let's hope the mail here is wrong.

If Grima isn't right, bring on Tarrant.

IN: Tarrant, Urqhart
OUT: McMahon, Ziebell

Selections for the future.

If Grima isn't right, bring on Tarrant.

IN: Tarrant, Urqhart
OUT: McMahon, Ziebell

Selections for the future.
McMahon Out and Gav In? Come on mate.

Gav needs a month of good football in the VFL. Let him earn a recall.

And as for McMahon, yah just don't like the guy. :stern look

McMahon Out and Gav In? Come on mate.

Gav needs a month of good football in the VFL. Let him earn a recall.

And as for McMahon, yah just don't like the guy. :stern look

I admit gav would be a leap of faith, but I think people on here are overplaying his form issues (BF over-reaction of the month now that the players are getting used to Scott's game plan). I would love to see him given the challenge of stepping up in the midfield for Ziebs. Maybe not 100% justifiable on form (although we may have run out of midfield capable replacements?), but could really pay off if he gets a bit of confidence. As talented as anyone we have in there, and would be a perfect compliment to the group that has developed this year.

McMahon does annoy me. Capable of some very good footy, but also capable of some putrid efforts. And not mistakes, lazy efforts where he doesn't go hard enough at a contest of gives up the chase on his opponent. He has played 1 or 2 good games this year (carlton game was very good), but overall i think he has been pretty poor and extremely inconsistent. Same could be said for Thompson, but he has more runs on the board and I don't think it is about effort with Hunter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im more concerned about our midfield. The swans are at their best when their mids are packing in tight. We need to look at who can come in and fill the gaps left by JZ and LA.

FWIW CJ goes ok
when he is holding his marks but isnt accountable enough when his opponent has it, and if he played his opponent would be either a Mattner or Shaw who would kill us if they got space.

Haha, did anyone else enjoy this little slice of acronym heaven?

I admit gav would be a leap of faith, but I think people on here are overplaying his form issues (BF over-reaction of the month now that the players are getting used to Scott's game plan). I would love to see him given the challenge of stepping up in the midfield for Ziebs. Maybe not 100% justifiable on form (although we may have run out of midfield capable replacements?), but could really pay off if he gets a bit of confidence. As talented as anyone we have in there, and would be a perfect compliment to the group that has developed this year.

McMahon does annoy me. Capable of some very good footy, but also capable of some putrid efforts. And not mistakes, lazy efforts where he doesn't go hard enough at a contest of gives up the chase on his opponent. He has played 1 or 2 good games this year (carlton game was very good), but overall i think he has been pretty poor and extremely inconsistent. Same could be said for Thompson, but he has more runs on the board and I don't think it is about effort with Hunter.

And you want Gav in for him...?

Against Sydney would we be better off with more midfield options or an extra tall defender? If Narni is indeed out for a few weeks should someone be brought in to play as a tall backman or bring in like for like with Ziebell out?

I don't like sacrificing Spud's run by sitting him on a key forward. Drew down back seems a waste to me but I am doubtful he will be an in this week. If not, one of Obba/Smith/Tarrant might get a run in place of JZ. Taz played as a defender did alright on Buddy in the preseason and seems pretty comfortable with the game in front of him. Might be good long term idea to give him a taste. Obba will kill his opponent given the chance so he might be a good option. Smith? To be honest I'd rather give the other two a go.

Dunno. Tough week at the selection table. I guess Sydney's forward set up will determine ours.

Dunno. Tough week at the selection table. I guess Sydney's forward set up will determine ours.

They currently have Goodes and O'Keefe, and may bring in the out of form Jesse White onto the extended bench, to tempt us to go tall. I reckon we can get by this week without extra tall defenders. Even Pratt can play tall if needed.

They currently have Goodes and O'Keefe, and may bring in the out of form Jesse White onto the extended bench, to tempt us to go tall. I reckon we can get by this week without extra tall defenders. Even Pratt can play tall if needed.

Who goes to Goodes ya reckon? Narni would've been perfect and Thommo might be alright but it seems to me that Spud is the best available matchup. As I have said I reckon that is a waste of his abilities. It would be a good week to have a floater in the back half, maybe Thommo dropping in and cleaning up.

That's 1 or 2 good games more that Super Gav has played.

I'll agree Gav has been consistent........consistently shit!

O'Keefe is not a problem from a goal kicking perspective. What he is very consistent at is getting his 7-8 marks and a goal and he runs very hard up the ground. I would put someone that could run, inhibit his marking and still hurt him going the other way. Firrito would be an excellent match up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back