Coaching Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

It just seems odd to me that we re-sign assistants before announcing our new senior coach. Surely any new coach would want to put 'his' people around him? Just seems like we do things backwards sometimes.

It just seems odd to me that we re-sign assistants before announcing our new senior coach. Surely any new coach would want to put 'his' people around him? Just seems like we do things backwards sometimes.

Assume that we have our coach, club is keeping silent till after grand final week.

We have our coach club is keeping silent

Not what I meant. I mean he hasn't even stepped in the door. Are you saying he's met with every member of the team already and knows how they operate and if he has a good rapport with them?

Burton as General Manager of High Performance
Millburn to return home to Victoria
Poulos leaving the club for Olympics role
Matthew Clarke 2 year extension
Ian Callinan returning to Tasmania
Jarrod Cotton leaving for another club

Thoughts?

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-09-28/burton-returns-four-to-depart
200.gif

Assume that we have our coach, club is keeping silent till after grand final week.

I heartily suspect Don Pyke is coming, and he's already had a quick chat about what he wants.

Total guess though, I have no mail. As far as you know.

Milburn to return home to Victoria

Interesting, interesting. So we need a new defensive coach? Pyke, will you bring Glass?

Not what I meant. I mean he hasn't even stepped in the door. Are you saying he's met with every member of the team already and knows how they operate and if he has a good rapport with them?

Of course no, your point is good It appears to us fans that they have jumped the gun but quietly confident they'll bring in the right people that our new senior coach will work well with, hes surely given the tick to the changes so far.

Millburn to return home to Victoria

Thoughts?

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-09-28/burton-returns-four-to-depart
Just totally bemused how Burton can become our general manager of fitness etc is this how Fagan achieves the elite coaching team by picking a ex player not all that long out of game with a record of massive injury proportions at Brisbane.
Then golly we are giving Clarke another 2 seasons because Jacobs happens to be good but what of who gets the ball and who breaks clear from scrimmage or centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should bring in a backman coach to teach the art of one on one defending (glass would be great if hes avaliable) but also a team defense coach. Their sole job is to drill in the structures for us to defend as a whole. If its our biggest weakness then i think it warrants a specific coach.

Noticed Fagan referred to his plans for 'a best-in-league elite coaching group' again in last week's media.

Made me think last year that we had names lined up to slowly fold in over a few seasons. Obviously replacing the senior coach wasn't part of that, but it would be interesting to find out if the new team in 2016 haven't been targeted from well back...

Glass in as a full timer for example, might have been something planned. Maybe even Burton?

I have been wanting this for years I wish they would hire Darren Jarman as goal kicking coach, Teague has evidently been great for the forward line structure but we need DJ to come in and teach the boys how to kick. "dreaming" :p
He has been, at least once - maybe twice.

Didn't help with goalkicking though :(

Head coach wouldn't necessarily have complete say over assistants. Campo was a sure thing to stay on provided he wanted to. Clarke seems okay.

I'd say they've had serious discussions with whoever is in the "lead" to be appointed and flagged likely assistants. Still gives the new head to potentially have a say in a couple of assistants.

I have been wanting this for years I wish they would hire Darren Jarman as goal kicking coach, Teague has evidently been great for the forward line structure but we need DJ to come in and teach the boys how to kick. "dreaming" :p

We have tried that before. Didnt work. You can't teach what just comes naturally as it did with Jars.

Kicking is a repetitive skill. You only get better by actually doing it. DJ or any coach can only show them so many times. They just have to go and do it.

I hope we set the players some KPI's over the summer. Like kick it 1,000 times a week and hit the target every time or have 250 shots on goal every week as extra practice. That is the only way they will get better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back